doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 05:14 AM
Back at home from the North Country. Not as easy as it used to be for a number of reasons, but still a wonderful time in beautiful country.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 10:21 AM
Two birds for two shells. You're batting 1.000!

Nice pics and I agree, pretty country with the leaves beginning to fall.

Thanks for posting, SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 10:30 AM
Lloyd, I hope your back problems resolved and weren't an issue. And I no longer think tailgate photos are the sole province of us south Ga. rednecks. wink Gil
Posted By: canvasback Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 10:41 AM
Beautiful Lloyd. One day I'll make it with you. I might have to be at LOTW next year in early October. If I do, will just start my annual western trip from there. As Gil mentioned, I hope your back was a little better. Did Ted make it up?

I'm overnighting in Western Illonois as I type this, on my way to Nebraska. Crazy thunderstorms yesterday afternoon on the drive and last night once we arrived. Tornado alert until 1:00 am, apparently. Scout was not happy!
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 12:37 PM
When you're facing early season woods you have to use the shotgun you have the most confidence in.

I take it that's your W. Richards Lloyd?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 01:11 PM
That first photo is so inviting me to walk down it with a gun and a dog. What a fine way to spend a Fall morning. Fine indeed. Hope your back tolerated it well.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 01:37 PM
My son and I both made it. I pulled Chris out of school for three days to participate. The grouse hunting was slower than it had been in years past, but, there wasn't a thing wrong with the walleye bite on Lake of the Woods.

Chris with captain Robbie, and a fine 15" walleye for the pan.

Bringing a ten year old complicates things a bit. We had a lot of stuff.

When I was a kid, my Dad would have driven right by the fire tower at Faunce-he was hunting, after all, this was a hunting trip. I'm a little different in that respect, and when Chris suggested we stop and look at it, I made the time. There were lots of little diversions, and we enjoyed them all.

I had a pair of 12 gauge Darnes along for the trip, Lloyd took a bit of a shine to the old Halifax. It has great dimensions for an old French gun. I used my restocked for lefty R10, but, did little shooting.

Lloyd's family is a group of spectacular people, they treated my son, dog, and I like family. Really great people that I am glad to know. Lloyd's son is 7/8ths of a man, now, he was a child two seasons ago.

We had a great time.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 02:48 PM
Fantastic!!!!
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 03:09 PM
Idyllic photo of grown over road and Ruffed Grouse, memories of my youth are revived. Like.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 03:52 PM
Yea, what is that, Lloyd or Ted, an old logging road or railroad cut?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 04:02 PM
Treb,
The WMA is specifically managed for ruffed grouse and hunting of same. The staff operates bush hogs during the summer months, to give hunters trails into the area. There is regular clear cutting, and forestry operation, as well-I saw a timbered pile of white pine that was spectacular, large trees that would make for wonderful log homes.
We had a cold, wet spring, and the great majority of birds taken were older birds, not this year's young, as it usually is.
It really takes management of the area, to create the "checkerboard" of different age forest that is so important to woodland wildlife of all types. Otherwise, it just becomes old growth woodland monoculture, waiting for the inevitable fire to return it to emerging woodland.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 05:51 PM
Beautiful pictures!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 09:06 PM
I'm back, things really pile-up when you're gone for a few weeks. More tailgate pictures for Gil:

Easily my busiest year up there, at least for the first week. My boy is 13 now and this was his first hunt. Talk how you please, handing a 13-year old a deadly weapon gives one pause. A somber moment that I made sure he recognised. We saw a few birds but he didn't connect. No worries though, he did just fine in the safety department.

Treb: Yep, my W. Richards, which just before I took that big hen Woodcock did this:

It's always something, isn't it? My back was an issue after a few miles waking, but much better than it would have been otherwise. My shooting was accordingly poor however. Lots of birds beat me to the draw many times this year.

The weather and trails were lovely again up there. Long conga-lines of trucks and ATVs to contend with anymore, however. A hard resource to share.

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Back to reality..... - 10/15/17 10:38 PM
I knew it!! Ted with his 12 gauge Darne he restocked at the factory in France and you with your W. Richards.

I'm starting to nail down a few here on this board as their go to shotguns!!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Back to reality..... - 10/16/17 01:23 AM
I took a 20 gauge Darne on the same trip last year. Semi-pistol grip and choked just a bit too tight for the work at hand. I only brought that one gun last year.
Typically, on a trip I am traveling to, I bring only one gauge of shotgun, and, if I am using a Darne, I only need one gun. They are more than reliable enough. Lloyd asked to see the "new" (to me) Halifax, and traded me some 2 1/2" 12 gauge for 2 1/2" 16 gauge. The Halifax 12 has short chambers. I no longer own a short 16. Good deal all the way around.
That made it a 12 gauge trip for me. The Darne with the bretelle got the nod.
Could be different next year. I have a Nitro Special in 16 with cyl and mod chokes, that could use a workout, a Winchester model 1912 20 gauge, and a Remington model 17 with two barrels.
Other stuff, too. I'm not thin on shotguns.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Back to reality..... - 10/17/17 03:05 AM
The long drive out of the forest on my last day up there. Adapting to the Denver Metroplex again is never easy for me after Grousemas!

Posted By: GLS Re: Back to reality..... - 10/17/17 10:16 AM
Lloyd, I hope the repair isn't too expen$ive. Some of these old girls we shoot seem to have osteoporosis of wood and metal. Your last photo of driving through pines could have been taken in my neck of the woods. Nice to see the fat doodle sitting on the tailgate. We're 7 weeks and 30 degrees F away from the season. Gil
Posted By: keith Re: Back to reality..... - 10/17/17 03:43 PM
Glad to hear the procedure you had on your back seems to be helping Lloyd, and glad to hear you and Ted and the kids got some shooting and had a great time.

I knew what you meant by the title of this thread as soon as I saw it. I don't get that feeling so much after a single day trip afield. But after spending several days or more in the outdoors and far from civilization, I actually feel kind of contaminated as soon as I get off dirt roads and hit pavement. It gets worse when I see traffic, and even worse when I get to town... which is a tiny fraction of the size of Denver.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Back to reality..... - 10/17/17 05:54 PM
You hit the nail on the head Keith. No wonder I'm a little depressed every year after I get back....

Gil: I'm calling the man today about what I'll need to do. I've, thankfully, got time and options.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Back to reality..... - 10/17/17 07:23 PM
Lloyd,

Glad you had a great trip. I get the same feeling you do coming back from elk hunting or from a KS pheasant hunt, the traffic brings you back to reality. However, the Denver traffic pic looks a little light!

Ken
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Back to reality..... - 10/18/17 02:31 PM
KDGJ: Compared to what we're normally dealing with here anymore, you're right. Still slowly transitioning back to life here in the 21st century.....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com