doublegunshop.com - home
A number of early 21's seem to to be fitted with red pads like the one below (pictures from an online auction).
Were these ever original equipment?
If so, how would they be described in a Cody letter?

The 1940 Shooters Bible ad for the Model 21 does not list a factory fitted recoil pad as an option.
Whenever I see a recoil pad that was not finished with the wood, I ask why.
In a word, yes.
Absolutely, Winchester offered a number of pads including red 'Winchester', leather covered , jostam, et. al. , whatever the customer wanted. See pg 127 Schwing book. The Cody letter would likely reflect if pad was ordered and what type. The red pad in the photo you provided has old patina and could well be original, in my opinion.
Well, the only ones that should have recoil pad were the 12ga 3" Duck or Magnum guns. They offered Noshoc, Hawkings, Goodrich and Jostam pads in addition to Winchester pads. On gun shown above I would prefer plastic Winchester plate or checkered wood butt. It looks really bad especially with the plugs missing. While Model 21 with exception of 3" 12ga guns does not really need a pad people in America luv them rubber pads. No idea what is on Winchester letter all I have is copies of two A.H.Fox letters from guns I used to own.
Jagermeister changed his post, so what I said here, now makes no sense, so I deleted it, but the system wouldn't allow a complete delete. Thx Jagermeister for correcting your post.
I saw the gun for sale online. It has a serial number in the 500's so a Cody letter is likely not available.
My late pre war 21 came with the red Winchester pad from the factory. The gun had enough features that didn't add up but appeared to be factory work to pique my interest enough to get a letter. Some of the things that raised flags were that it's set up like a Duck model but with 28 inch barrels. The letter showed that everything on the gun was actually as ordered. My best guess is that the original purchaser wanted a Duck but not with the longer barrels so Winchester built the gun that way. I'll say that the stock on it is VERY comfortable due to how the comb is proportioned thickness wise.
In addition to the DUCK/MAGNUM Model 21s, the Model 21 Trap Grade (in the 1930s) except for the Model 21 Trap Grade Skeet Gun and the Model 21 Trap Gun from 1940 onward were "standard" with a recoil pad.

Now to the gun in question. Look at the grip area!! Either that is a pistol grip stock that has been straightened or it is a restock.
I have several 21's. A Tournament Skeet 20 with a Hawkins pad. Just checked the Cody letter and there was no mention of the pad when delivered in '33. A 16 Field Grade (not lettered) has a Winchester pad, I believe delivered to my grandfather in early 40s with pad. That's what I would use if I were to do one with a pad today.
I am restocking a 20 ga field grade now; will do a checkered
butt on that one. Gil
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com