doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MinnesotaJoe short stock fix - 10/24/17 03:21 PM
hey guys im new on here, not new to side by side guns, new to the forum, i recently purchased an Ithica NID 16 gauge at a gun show that had the stock cut and a recoil pad added. The pad over time had lost its shape and become brittle, i took the pad off.
i ordered an ithica recoil pad from conn. shotgun, its 1" thick, to bring the gun back to a 14" lop i would have to add a 1" spacer as well as the 1" recoil pad. my concern is that a 1" spacer and 1" pad would make the gun look strange, so im leaning towards the recoil pad and a 1/2 inch spacer leaving the LOP ending up at 13 1/2" compared to the 14 LOP im accustomed to , thought being that it would leave the gun more "balanced" looking.
i would love to see some pictures from members that have legthened stocks, i often run into cut off stocks on very nice shootable guns as im sure many of us do, thanks guys
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 03:29 PM
I have a couple of short stocked guns. I use a slip on pad to provide the required length of pull. This is the best one I've found, it comes in three sizes and has a choice of one or two foam inserts to extend stock length.

http://www.accu-riser.com/leather-butt-pad-bp-2000/

Welcome on your first post here!...Geo
Posted By: MinnesotaJoe Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 03:35 PM
thanks for the link, that would accually work perfectly for my situation, and it looks good!!
Posted By: MinnesotaJoe Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 03:45 PM
im intersted in seeing what a 1" spacer with a recoil pad would look like
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 03:54 PM
Joe, you can cut half inch foam spacers to fit any slip on pad. The leather one suits my taste best...Geo
Posted By: SKB Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 04:54 PM
Just my opinion but to my eye any spacer over 1/4" looks off. You talk to Mark Larson and see if one of his invisible stock extensions would work for your needs.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 05:47 PM
I like the leather pads. They are easily used and do not alter the gun permanently. Trying to make any inch long extension and inch thick pad look normal is impossible. Stock extensions work well if blended well. Problem is that you are looking at either a hundred dollar leather removable pad, a 250-500 extension or a two grand restock. You pay your money and accept what you get.
Posted By: MinnesotaJoe Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 05:51 PM
thats my thoughts on it, i dont want to do a half inch spacer, i feel like it will take away from the "look" of the gun, (like a nice paint job on a car but all you can see is that scratch), but thats the easy way to get to 13 1/2 lop
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 06:11 PM
For now I'd use some kind of slip on pad like George said.
And,if you want some thing permanent, perhaps talk to some one like Mark Larson ( I think its Larson?) who posts here & does wonderful work adding stock extensions that are "painted" to match the grain flow of the stock...I've seen some of his stuff pictured here....you cannot see the joint line,very well done indeed.
cheers
franc
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: short stock fix - 10/24/17 09:22 PM
$100 for a leather recoil pad? I buy three for that.They don't have to be nearly that high to have a great pad.

I've been using these for many years, never wore one out, never found a need for any other kind. The ones Geo provided a link to are well made ........ I've looked at them in person, but I still like the Kick Killers better.

$35 bucks ea. Take your pick of sizes and fastening styles:

http://www.kick-killer-recoil-pads.com

SRH
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: short stock fix - 10/25/17 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I have a couple of short stocked guns. I use a slip on pad to provide the required length of pull. This is the best one I've found, it comes in three sizes and has a choice of one or two foam inserts to extend stock length.

http://www.accu-riser.com/leather-butt-pad-bp-2000/

Welcome on your first post here!...Geo
I second this! I really love mine and they come with their own shims
Posted By: John Roberts Re: short stock fix - 10/25/17 03:35 PM
Minnesota Joe, let me ask and propose this. If the gun is to be used and enjoyed, and you aren't worried about the next owner's needs and wants, have a good wood man like Dennis Smith (aka the Stock Doctor) do a nice wood extension and pad. I've seen any number of guns, but especially so English guns, with wood butt extensions that were not unpleasing at all for a shooting piece. Just consider it part of this gun's uniqueness and character. I would.
JR
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: short stock fix - 10/25/17 04:52 PM
Or get a 1 1/2" pad from Tony. I've used two or three of them.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: short stock fix - 10/25/17 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
Or get a 1 1/2" pad from Tony. I've used two or three of them.

Nothing personal Paul, but I would much prefer a nice wood extension to one of those grotesque 1 1/2" pads.
JR
Posted By: MinnesotaJoe Re: short stock fix - 10/25/17 05:37 PM
i looked at a couple guns with the 1 1/2 pads, they looked a little heavy too me, im going to a couple gun shows this weekend in Wisconsin and Minnesota, im gonna see if i can find somebody local that can do a wood extension, the Ithaca pad i ordered should be in the mailbox today, i appreciate all the replys from everyone, Geo i really like that leather slip from accu-riser, im gonna order one forsure!!
Posted By: eightbore Re: short stock fix - 10/26/17 09:51 PM
The 1 1/2" pad is the ugliest thing I can imagine on the butt of a shotgun.
Posted By: Buzz Re: short stock fix - 10/26/17 10:06 PM
I think a 1 1/2" pad looks like crap on the butt of a shotgun too, really, just about any pad over 1" looks like hell. And a wood extension (or horn) over 1/2" looks just as bad. I'm not sure why, but they look like crap.
Posted By: oldr31 Re: short stock fix - 10/27/17 01:53 PM
Everyone worries about "value". How much "value" does a gun have with a stock that has been shortened two inches and has a rotten recoil pad?

I would add a wooden spacer without any hesitation and do my best to blend it to match the original. If it isn't invisible, so what? It beats the heck out of a bunch of spacers and actually restores some "value".

If balance is an issue, a wooden extension gives you a lot of opportunity to adjust the balance.

R.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: short stock fix - 10/27/17 02:27 PM
I have a Ferlib with a very well matched 1-3/4 inch wood extension. Whoever did the work cut three parallel lines about the depth of checkering at the seam. The result was to fool the eye enough that most people who handle the gun don’t notice the extension. If you would be interested in seeing the result, I’ll take a photo and send it to you if you’ll PM me your email address.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com