doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gwsmith O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 12:03 AM
Let's say you had a budget of 10 to maybe $15,000 and were looking for a nice O/U shotgun. Requirements include 30" barrels and a weight no more than 8 pounds. Would be used for a mix of waterfowl hunting, occasional upland hunting and occasional sporting clays. Will also probably be used for mixed bag bird hunting in South Africa. I primarily shoot side by sides to this point (and single barrels) - the only O/U I have owned is a Browning Citori. Have shot numerous others - but want something more versatile than the usual 9 lb target gun. What should I be looking at?
Posted By: skeettx Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 12:53 AM
I have always thought these were nice.
and for the money, you could have any modification
you wanted done, and screw in chokes would give you even more
versatility

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718692761

Posted By: B. Dudley Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 01:45 AM
Berettas S0 series are very nice shotguns and one of the varients more geared towards upland use may suit well. But they may not be the lightest option out there. But i am talking 12g and by the weight limit you mention, i take it you are too.

CSMC offers some O/Us worth looking at.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 02:28 AM
I agree with the Beretta SO. A beautiful handfitted O/U in your price range. Here is a nice one: SO Although the barrels are too short for you, it is a typical example.

I would also consider the Blaser F3 if you seek a new gun.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 02:54 AM
You should be able to find a nice Beretta SO3 EELL or a mid-80s SO6 in the 10-15K price range. The mid-70s SO guns will be in the 7-8lb range. 28" barrels are easy to find; the 30" will be a little more difficult. The SO2, SO3, and SO3ELs will be less expensive. The SOs are hand engraved with a lot of hand fitting.

The CSMC A10 is a Galazan clone to the Beretta SO series.

Ken
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 05:25 AM
Beretta SOs are heavy. I have a 30" and though I used to carry it all day on walked up shooting, it is too heavy now. I prefer the Merkel 303E, though you may struggle to find one with the specification you want. In the UK, they are uncommon, but used examples are superb value. I much prefer the handling to the Beretta, which feels slow in comparison to the Merkel
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 05:39 AM
Originally Posted By: gwsmith
Let's say you had a budget of 10 to maybe $15,000 and were looking for a nice O/U shotgun. Requirements include 30" barrels and a weight no more than 8 pounds. Would be used for a mix of waterfowl hunting, occasional upland hunting and occasional sporting clays. Will also probably be used for mixed bag bird hunting in South Africa. I primarily shoot side by sides to this point (and single barrels) - the only O/U I have owned is a Browning Citori. Have shot numerous others - but want something more versatile than the usual 9 lb target gun. What should I be looking at?

This is what I would get....... Pre-Flodman of Sweden......
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 06:04 PM
From the use you describe I think I'd be looking for a gun that would ultimately be a throw-away. Expecting a quality gun to do all of that would be optimistic as most quality guns are specialty guns to some extent. For the $ you mention you could get three or four 600 series Berettas of different conformations and not have to compromise any of your intents.
JMO but your expectations seem somewhat unrealistic.
Posted By: lagopus Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 08:33 PM
I would have a look at the French Chapuis range. http://www.chapuis-armes.com/category.php?id_category=1 Lagopus.....
Posted By: PALUNC Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 08:53 PM
A Beretta Jubilee, with that budget you can get a set of 20 bore barrels fit to the 12 bore action as well and have the best of both worlds.
Posted By: vangulil Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/24/17 10:58 PM
In the $10k to $15K range, I would at least take a hard look at a Perazzi 12 ga MX-8 or MX-12 game gun. You can spec it almost any way you like; with stock configurations, straight grip, prince of wales grip, or normal pistol grip, various forend shapes, custom stock dimensions, barrel lengths, fixed chokes, or choke tubes, drop-out or fixed trigger, etc.

Current Perazzi factory 12 ga choke tube barrels are factory OK'ed for steel shot.

Weight for a 12 ga Perazzi game gun with 28 to 30 inch barrels should be between 7 1/2 and 8 lb.
Posted By: gwsmith Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/25/17 01:26 AM
Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/25/17 02:37 AM
A Blaser F16 in the game gun configuration will weigh about 7 lbs. 3 oz. with 28s. With 30s it won't be but a few oz. more. This gun is way under your price cap, but is a fine handling gun, with a fine trigger. Proven.

I'm a big Perazzi fan, so I looked at the MX8 ribless Game Gun mentioned above. It lists at $17k, but you should be able to buy one for less. If you really don't mind spending the money for one, I cannot imagine you would be disappointed in any way. You will be getting a gun without a top rib, however. Some may not take to that easily.

SRH
Posted By: Bill Davis Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/25/17 07:36 AM
Kreighoff Parcours or a Perazzi as previously suggested. Either would meet your requirements in style and quality.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/25/17 03:23 PM
Of course Perazzi will build anything the client wants. A different rib would be most unlikely to be problematic. Perazzis are about all I have and as a consequence I suppose that I'm a fanboy in that regard. BUT I still doubt that any one gun is gonna do what all GW is looking for. Again, JMO but your expectations seem somewhat unrealistic.

I have no knowledge of the Blaser having seen only one. It didn't make me feel like I needed one.

Kreighooofs are simply too ugly to own.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/25/17 03:26 PM
Take a very hard look at the CSMC A-10 American.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/25/17 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane

Funny, I feel the same way about Perazzi’s.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/26/17 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil

Clearly, you are aesthetically challenged to an unfortunate degree. I've come to the belief that some people are simply devoid of any sense of form, just like being right or left handed.
You have my sympathies.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/26/17 03:08 PM

Clearly, you are aesthetically challenged to an unfortunate degree. I've come to the belief that some people are simply devoid of any sense of form, just like being right or left handed.
You have my sympathies.

The Perazzi folks have an unfair advantage in that the bolting of that gun is based on early English design. Purdey, Woodward I don't remember which while the Krieghoff is based off Remington 32 which copied a French design. Despite the fact that US fought at least two wars against the "Red Coats" and w/o help of French creating USA may not have been possible for some reason French sporting guns aren't held to the same standard as say the British. frown
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/26/17 03:18 PM
From the use you describe I think I'd be looking for a gun that would ultimately be a throw-away. Expecting a quality gun to do all of that would be optimistic as most quality guns are specialty guns to some extent. For the $ you mention you could get three or four 600 series Berettas of different conformations and not have to compromise any of your intents.
JMO but your expectations seem somewhat unrealistic.

Yea, but....

I'm guessing the OP has no illusions about shooting for Olympic gold with his duck gun. The limits on waterfowl are such that he can shoot a few mallards or geese with the gun he uses to kill an afternoon at his local clays range.
The bigger problem I see is we know precious little about him, actually. Medium sized guy? Short, fat guy? Tall, rawboned guy? Younger than 30, or, older? Able to look at an adjustable stock without vomiting a little in his mouth? Do you shoot 1K rounds a month, or 50? Hey, I enjoy a beer drinking league that has a trap shooting problem as much as the next guy.
Some of this has to be nailed down, before anyone can recommend anything at that price range.
Lots of guns that would serve well, for much less than he is looking to spend, would be my first thought.
And, I'll let it go at that.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eightbore Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/26/17 03:29 PM
At your price point and weight specification, I would go for the K-80 Parcours model. At least a pound less than the standard K-80 and fitted with wood that is more field oriented than target. After years of shooting nine pound Krieghoffs, I would love to switch to a 12 gauge Parcours model or a standard 20 gauge.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/26/17 05:02 PM

You have my sympathies.

And this coming from a guy who pulls his dockers up to his tits and tucks in his t-shirts. Yea, a real class act.
You sir are a pompous prick who’s nuttier than squirrel poop.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/27/17 04:45 PM

You have my sympathies.

And this coming from a guy who pulls his dockers up to his tits and tucks in his t-shirts. Yea, a real class act.
You sir are a pompous prick who’s nuttier than squirrel poop.

I'm not at all sure what might motivate your comments but they would ill become a gentleman. Or perhaps I'm mistaken and what you write passes for humor in the wilderness of the uncivilized West.
Have a nice day
Posted By: LeFusil Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/27/17 06:22 PM
Are you trying to insinuate that you are a gentleman? That’s a laugher. Anyone can see your poorly veiled attempt at wit and sarcasm a mile away, guy. Try again. You may attempt to be as eloquent, brainy or “gentlemanly” as you wish, its just not gonna work with me. Your reputation around here is of a genuine doucher who looks down his nose at anyone who disagrees with your opinion. In your head, you truly believe that you’re just the smartest, most learned guy in the room. Cats out of the bag now eh. Have a nice day yourself, Mr. Wonko.
Posted By: gwsmith Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/27/17 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The bigger problem I see is we know precious little about him, actually. Medium sized guy? Short, fat guy? Tall, rawboned guy? Younger than 30, or, older? Able to look at an adjustable stock without vomiting a little in his mouth? Do you shoot 1K rounds a month, or 50? Hey, I enjoy a beer drinking league that has a trap shooting problem as much as the next guy. Some of this has to be nailed down, before anyone can recommend anything at that price range. Lots of guns that would serve well, for much less than he is looking to spend, would be my first thought. And, I'll let it go at that.

Fair questions and I'll answer them to see if I get anything new. I'm about 6'1" and fat (pushing 300 lbs) - mid 40s. I mostly shoot waterfowl but not always with a double gun (a lot of my hunting is salt water and I stick with a Cerakoted Benelli) - I shoot a Super Fox quite a bit at ducks as well and occasionally a Model 21 Duck. Probably duck hunt 30-45 days per year. Living in central North Carolina - I don't hunt upland birds as much as I'd like - but both pheasant and quail hunt when I get invited somewhere (couple times per year). I shoot zero trap or skeet - but I do shoot sporting clays occasionally (more frequently now - teaching son to shoot). Definitely not 1K round per month - maybe 1K rounds in a good year. And no - I can't look at an adjustable stock without feeling somewhat nauseous. I've shot a K20 before (spent a day with one shooting doves in Argentina) and liked it. However I've not handled a Parcours yet. Beretta (used SO or maybe the Jubilee) has sort of been what I've been thinking about - just curious what else I should consider. I own ~10 side by sides and zero O/Us right now - just interested in trying something different. This isn't meant to be a "once in a lifetime" purchase - just looking for a solid O/U that could be used to hunt and shoot clays. I probably won't be carrying it extensively but want to be able to carry it some as I get older if so desired.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/27/17 08:38 PM
Unless you just particularly want to have an expensive O/U you may not even like, your best bet might be to borrow a Beretta 680 series gun and try it. If that one's not right, borrow a Browning Citori, then maybe move up to CSMC and so on. Its ok to test drive. Just a suggestion...Geo

I know of a Ducks Unlimited 20ga Beretta 686 that is about to go on sale here that might be worth looking at(but it does not cost 15k).
Posted By: John Roberts Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/28/17 01:42 AM
Here is a very nice B2G Superposed made in the custom shop that is a really good value priced where Steve has it. Custom shop leather case, lots of quality, cannot go wrong:
https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/brownin...rposed-12-gauge

Nice S3 EELL Beretta that you would never regret:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100863768
JR
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/28/17 05:37 PM
Are you trying to insinuate that you are a gentleman? That’s a laugher. Anyone can see your poorly veiled attempt at wit and sarcasm a mile away, guy. Try again. You may attempt to be as eloquent, brainy or “gentlemanly” as you wish, its just not gonna work with me. Your reputation around here is of a genuine doucher who looks down his nose at anyone who disagrees with your opinion. In your head, you truly believe that you’re just the smartest, most learned guy in the room. Cats out of the bag now eh. Have a nice day yourself, Mr. Wonko.

!DANG!! Saw right thru me, dinja? I had no idea I was so despised. That must simply be yet another aspect of my living in denial. I can only take comfort in

you can fool all of the people some of the time
and
you can fool some of the people all of the time

and that'll just have to be good enough for me, eh?

thanks for the insight
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/28/17 06:23 PM
Hey Wonk

There’s a thread about patterns and regulation going on. See if you can set them fellers straight. I patterned my RBL on the side of an Econoline van that was abandoned in the woods. Kinda tough to get a good read on things cause it was pretty well shot up. Spino barked at it a couple times and we deemed it good enough for blasting squirrels out of trees.

Nice Spring day here in Detroit. Out back drinking and smoking.

Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/28/17 07:16 PM
Dear Lonesome

If you're in Detroit I don't understand at all why you'd have to go to the woods to find an abandoned vehicle to shoot at? I did check out that thread some time ago and it seemed to me at the time that would not be able to contribute anything of substance.

John - - that is one hot looking S3EELL. If my lust ration was not already committed ................. I may have to re-evaluate
Posted By: gwsmith Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/28/17 07:33 PM
Thanks for those 2 links John - nice guns!
Posted By: JNW Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 03:24 AM
gw,
If you are a sxs guy you need to buy a Perazzi. They handle more like a sxs than any other o/u and you can spec one any way you like. I would get one with a drop out trigger group using coil springs as this would be very reliable and be nice for cleaning while hunting and traveling. The best would be a drop out double trigger, but they ran out of those parts years ago. I have seen a Perazzi game gun with a solid rib and it was very nice. This would give it a definite game gun look. Order it with fixed full chokes and then have Briley install thin wall choke tubes. This will give it great versatility and maintain the wonderful handling qualities of the fixed choke barrels. Factory Perazzi screw in chokes are a tool of Satan. Unattractive and ruin the handling. Let us know what kind of Perazzi you end up with. Pics are a must.
Regards,
Jeff
Posted By: John Roberts Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 05:11 AM
Agree about a special order Perazzi. Might be your best choice. The price goes up really fast though!
JR
Posted By: John Roberts Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 05:20 AM
Dang if I don't think I've found your gun:
http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/product/?skuid=7395&model=Perazzi-MX12-SC2-Game-12GA-30-135
The more I look at it the better I like it. Oh sh*t, what a nice gun.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 11:30 AM
That is a beauty. Wonder what it weighs?

SRH
Posted By: Vol423 Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 01:20 PM
Blaser F3
Posted By: John Roberts Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
That is a beauty. Wonder what it weighs?

SRH

I'm guessing right around 8, Stan. For such a nice example, it looks like the stock may be too straight for me. Looks like a straight parallel comb. Worth a phone call for specs.
JR
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 04:17 PM
I would just like to comment on the choke tube thing. Perazzi factory choke tubes may be thought to be unattractive BUT the barrel is formed to accommodate them and the ones I have (several) do not feel any different to me than the fixed chokes. I'm constantly puzzled as to why appearance is more important than function. Most, if not all flush factory choke tubes these days are pretty difficult to detect even at arm's length. As to the aftermarket tubes they are cut into a barrel that was NOT formed to accommodate them and void any factory warranty. I have had Briley chokes in one gun and will never have them in another. Aftermarket tubes as well will affect resale if that is a consideration. From what I've read, I'm not alone on the aftermarket issue.
just sayin'
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/product/?skuid=7395&model=Perazzi-MX12-SC2-Game-12GA-30-135
JR

!!!! POR !!!! As was mentioned in that dealer thread, WTF is the point of that? Am I supposed to be wowed by some POR induced exclusivity? What crap!

BTW the Perazzi DC12 SxS is available as a game gun configuration I understand. Prolly not much different $ than the MX12

I have other comments available as well. They are of course, POR if you are interested.
Posted By: JNW Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 04:47 PM
Not everyone can feel the difference in balance between a fixed choke and a screw choke gun, but I can. I also prefer the look of flush fixed chokes. Part of the fun of shooting my Perazzi is how pretty it is. If you like their factory fixed chokes that is fine. That’s why they make different guns!
I don’t like the H type safety on Perazzi’s fixed trigger guns. Never have been able to run one in the field. I would have to make it non-selective.
Jeff
Posted By: vangulil Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
JR

If you really like this one, they have also have a second matching one available, with I think sequential serial numbers. Why have one when you can have two?

I would have posted a link to this gun earlier, but I am planning to buy the pair as soon as I win the lottery.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 08:13 PM

!!!! POR !!!! As was mentioned in that dealer thread, WTF is the point of that? Am I supposed to be wowed by some POR induced exclusivity? What crap!

Wonk, Perazzi, like many other gunmakers, ask dealers not to publish a discounted price. I suppose they could have shown the retail, but that gun may not even have a suggested retail, hence, if your interested, call. My best guess, no exclusivity intended by PSA. I've bought from them once, a used Blaser F3, and they were quite accomodating on price and very cordial and unassuming to deal with.
JR
Posted By: John Roberts Re: O/U shotgun recommendations - 11/29/17 08:23 PM
Out of increasing curiosity, I called PSA to learn the price and specs. Spoke with a very nice young man by the name of Jordan. The gun was actually in their new Michigan store, and is sold. But it was priced at $23,000, so it was outside the price parameters mentioned. Stock was 1 1/8 x 2 1/8. Too high in the comb for most shooters, but easily brought down to suit. Interesting beautiful piece though.
JR
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com