doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ironman5 Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 04:39 PM
I picked up an interesting 12 gauge hammerless single shot. It has the Greener safety built into the stock and some Japanese(?) symbols stamped into the wood. no real proofmarks on the watertable or the barrel flats. Serial numbers, a 12 and the word Choke are the only markings besides the engraving.
But to me, the most interesting feature is the 42" full choked, damascus barrel.
I have never seen a breechloader with anything close to this long. My 8 gauge only has 36".
Has anyone came across a 12 bore barrel longer than 42"?

If anyone would like to see pics that can help me post them, i'd be glad to email them.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 04:43 PM
I've seen some "urban" shotguns on the internet with extraordinarily long barrels. They are supposed to silence the shot. Longest I have are a coupla sxs shotguns with 32" barrels...Geo

Guy I met about 3:00 am one night on the river frog gigging had a .22 with a 5 ft piece of galvanized pipe welded on the barrel. He was shooting fish with it. He had more fish (catfish and suckers) than i had frogs.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 04:51 PM
In person, the Marlin Goose gun with 36” bbl....in a magazine...the 4 bore Watson Bro’s with 42” bbls.
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 04:51 PM
Geo. Ive seen those videos you're referring to. I will give them credit, it does quiet them down to the same report as a .22lr. Pretty impressive and not considered a suppressor by the ATF.

I have also seen some modern card shoot guns with very long barrels.
The gun I have, was built in the 1890's(?) and I would assume it to be a light, long range duck gun...but that's just my educated guess.
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 04:54 PM
Lefusil, I too have seen the Marlin gooseguns with 36" barrel. I have read that a few were made with a 42" bbl but have yet to see one in person.
Posted By: gunut Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 05:01 PM
the one I have to wrestle into submission every time I have to pee....
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 05:18 PM
C.M. McClung & Co. Hdw., Knoxville

Short stuff wink Confiscated punt gun

Posted By: bbman3 Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 05:24 PM
Way back in the early sixties I looked at a VH Parker with at least 36 inch barrels and price was $125.00 but I did not have that much and bought a nice 12 ga Lefever Nitro Special for $50.00!Bobby
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 05:34 PM
From 1882 until at least 1892, H&D Folsom contracted with Parker Brothers to create "The Parker Trap Gun"; 10g & 12g Grade 0 - 2 hammer and hammerless with Laminated Steel and Twist barrels and a special buttplate.

The Parker order books include Folsom 12g guns with 36", 38", and 40" barrels; and four 16g with 38” barrels! Order 14744 in 1882 were Grade 2 guns; 12g listed for $80 (net $50.01 after discount) and 10g for $85 (net $53.14).

In orders 47641 – 47645 there were five 12 gauge at 40 inches, twenty 12 gauge at 38 inches, seven 12 gauge at 36 inches and five 12 gauge at 34 inches. The stocks on the 40 inch guns were to have a length of 14 Ό to 14½ inches and a drop of 3 to 3 ½ inches. All were to have trap butt plates.

Order 49457 May 11, 1892 was for eight hammer guns with twist barrels, four hammer guns with laminated barrels, and three hammerless guns with twist barrels. Seven were 38" and eight were 40".

Orders 53623 – 53627 was for four 12 gauge at 40 inches, two 12 gauge at 38 inches; all to have trap butt plates.

Orders 80371 – 80375 had five 12 gauge at 40 inches and ten 12 gauge at 38 inches, but no mention of the trap butt plates.

Bill Zachow published an article in the "Parker Pages"
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 05:42 PM
I have one of the Marlin 36" goose guns. Bought it as one of my Skeet fun shoot guns. Every station had a different gun on it and all shooter had to use that gun only to shoot the birds on that station. Factory shells were provided so everyone was equally handicapped and fir safety reasons.

One station had a 1100 with a barrel which had been bent upward so the poi was 3' high at the center stake. One had no beads on it. Another had a marble for front sight. The bolt action Marlin Goose gun. Left handed 1100 which really upset most right handed shooters. One station you had to shoot with your other side with a pump gun and shoot doubles. Station seven low bird second on doubles with a extra full choked Ithaca Flues with 24" barrels. A Pump gun to shoot doubles on eight. This was our Super Bowl Sunday fun shoot. Prizes were a country ham or smoked turkey, a fifth of decent liquor, gift certificate to local store or a case of toilet paper for the low score. Gag gifts were encourage and shooters would bring in their own to give away.

I am sure I have that gun packed up somewhere. It has 36" barrel not a 42" barrel. I had heard there were 42" made but never came across one. If I did I would have bought it.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/12/17 05:47 PM
I have a Marlin 120 Pump with a 40" or 43" barrel...can't remember which.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 01:32 AM
I saw a Parker with a 36 inch barrel in Tyler, TX. The dealer said it was custom built for one of the Dodge brothers.,

bill
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 02:15 AM
I visited Dixie Gun Works last September, while I was hunting teal on Reelfoot Lake, and they had a shotgun hanging up high near the front door that must have had a barrel 6 feet long, or longer. Pretty sure it was a gag, tho'.

SRH
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 02:27 AM

35 1/2" 16 gauge on gunbroker. Husqvarna Model 20 16 gauge with 35 1/2" barrels. That's not for quail where I come from.
Posted By: Hoof Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 12:53 PM
Two seconds of my brother shooting a double at sporting clays with a 36" goose gun. Longest barrel I ever encountered.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/VA2hNbG.mp4[/img]

CHAZ
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 01:27 PM
"Improved 1908 Model Long Barrel Gun" by Crescent

"Genuine Armory Steel" (which was Decarbonized Steel)..."made with the expectation that it will be used with heavy loads of black and nitro powder..."

Posted By: Bryan_Pettet Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 01:30 PM
posted for OP...

Posted By: lagopus Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 04:59 PM
Interesting. So, nothing on the barrel flats in the way of marks. Looks European. I have seen a couple of guns in my time with Japanese marks on the stock. These had been taken from European rubber planters when they invaded and added to their armoury before being liberated when the war ended. That may be a possible explanation for the stock marks. Anyone out there understand the Japanese mark? Lagopus.....
Posted By: Stallones Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 05:29 PM
I have a 38 inch Pieper 12 ga
that Daryl Hallquist made me buy from him ! smirk
Posted By: Dangerminnow Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 05:37 PM
Im a newbie here but I have just acquired a percussion shotgun that measures 54" overall with 38" barrels. I got this guild gun from an estate and all they could tell me about it was that they got it from New Orleans many years ago.
One mark looks close to a St Etienne mark but not exactly. There are several other marks that I could use some help on as well.
If anyone can fill in the details for me like the date, maker, and what the marks indicate I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Photos here:
Double Percussion https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0k5qXGF1678l4
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 06:59 PM
I had a Pieper Modified Diana hammer double with 38 1/4" 12 ga. barrels. It now belongs to another site member. He thinks of it as his "squirrel" gun. Both barrels choked .020". I guess you don't need real tight chokes when your muzzle is that close to the target.
Posted By: Bryan_Pettet Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 07:01 PM
Hah...and you need that extra 1/4" right when you are at 38" right? That squirrel might go on the offensive and run down your barrels to crack your nuts.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 07:06 PM
Bryan, I was afraid of that exact same thing. That's why I sold it.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 08:54 PM
Shelby Stanger(?) on the reality show "Ax Men" had a single barrel with what looked like an over 4 foot long barrel, but it looked like it had been extended with a piece of galvanized pipe. It's a good thing he was "crazy", or he wouldn't have shot it.
Mike
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
Interesting. So, nothing on the barrel flats in the way of marks. Looks European. I have seen a couple of guns in my time with Japanese marks on the stock. These had been taken from European rubber planters when they invaded and added to their armoury before being liberated when the war ended. That may be a possible explanation for the stock marks. Anyone out there understand the Japanese mark? Lagopus.....

Do we know this is a Japanese mark for sure? Many Asian countries use Chinese characters...
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/13/17 10:38 PM
I do not know that they are japanese symbols. I was basing that off of finding another example of this same gun in 16 gauge with a 36" barrel on some obscure website. He didnt know what he had either but he kept referencing "japanese style engraving and symbols".

It very well could be another asian country and chinese characters...
Posted By: Vic Venters Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/14/17 09:58 PM
Longest I've seen was on a Husqvarna rolling block shotgun, 100 cm barrel (39.4"), used in Iceland by market hunters shooting ptarmigan.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/17/17 05:20 PM
Muzzle loaders for wildfowling, particularly over the dykes in drained marshes were made in 60" and possibly longer.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/17/17 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnfromUK
Muzzle loaders for wildfowling, particularly over the dykes in drained marshes were made in 60" and possibly longer.

That is interesting. Most were cylinder board out to the muzzle. A 60" barrel will kill cleanly every bit of 32" farther than a 28" gun. The concept of choke constriction was really quite a turning point in shotgunning. And, I hope that comment doesn't start a maelstrom of criticism of shooting at "long distance" birds.

Wasn't the idea to allow more room to burn very large charges of black?

SRH

Posted By: cable Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/17/17 06:41 PM
i have a “ Long Tom “ branded single shot 12 with 40 “ barrel that i bought two years ago just to display .... poor quality and rather loose, etc [ at my age , that could describe me , as well] at least it was cheap!

need to take a picture
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/17/17 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: JohnfromUK

That is interesting. Most were cylinder board out to the muzzle. A 60" barrel will kill cleanly every bit of 32" farther than a 28" gun. The concept of choke constriction was really quite a turning point in shotgunning. And, I hope that comment doesn't start a maelstrom of criticism of shooting at "long distance" birds.

Wasn't the idea to allow more room to burn very large charges of black?

SRH

There is a 60" 10 bore single percussion advertised for sale in the UK at present.
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/17/17 08:56 PM
The gun I have pictured has a 42” FULL choke barrel. I could understand the length with no choke, but 42 inches that measures .690 at the bore? Any thoughts?
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Longest barrel you've ever seen - 12/18/17 12:54 AM
The late Bob "Bat" Thomas shot trap from a wheelchair using a 50" barreled gun. He held the butt of the gun to his chest and just pointed the thing. He had the range on the targets, as he was a 27-yard shooter.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com