doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dave michno James D Julia auction house - 12/21/17 08:25 PM
James D. Julia's will merge with Morphy Auctions in Denver PA
Posted By: Argo44 Re: James D Julia auction house - 12/21/17 09:00 PM
I'm wondering how auction houses hold up against the internet onslaught. Amazon threatens shopping malls. Gunbroker, Gunsinternational, naturabuy.fr threaten auction houses (even the on-line ones). One of the great pleasures I had in the 1970's-80's was going to auctions, looking at the wares, listening to the almost hypnotic drone of the auctioneer... Wonder if this is going the way of the telephone booth?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: James D Julia auction house - 12/21/17 09:22 PM
What will win out is the most cost effective and efficient method for sellers to reach buyers...Geo
Posted By: KY Jon Re: James D Julia auction house - 12/21/17 11:44 PM
All the smart auction houses have a strong and easy to use on line presence. It just makes sense. Make it easy for people from all over the World to bid on you stuff, in real time. I watched the last Holt's Auction in real time and was able to raise my pre auction bid prices on several items.

One county I have a farm in hold all their back tax sales and sale of county stuff on line now. They no longer do it on the step of the Court House like they did fifty years ago. So even a sleepy back water county has gotten into the internet auction business.

I had a friend who just passed last week who was an Auctioneer and he told me almost all of his auctions had gone on line. He might be on sight or do it from his auction office. Most foreclosures were sold from his office on the internet. Times change for everything.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: James D Julia auction house - 12/22/17 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: dave michno
James D. Julia's will merge with Morphy Auctions in Denver PA

Dave, yes I noticed that too. I was surprised to see that. I actually received an E-mail from Julia's. It appears that after the Spring Julia's auction everything will then be called Morphy Auction.

I have never dealt with Morphy Auction but I have bid and won/purchased items from Julia's before and have always been satisfied with the results.

For me, Julia's have always been helpful, accurate, honest and professional. I hope we don't lose those qualities with the merger or purchase however you want to characterize it.
Posted By: dave michno Re: James D Julia auction house - 12/22/17 07:33 PM
1cdog - You are correct in hopes that Julia's history continues with Morphy. I was told that Julia's strong points will be of great benefit to Morphy's weak points. I have always enjoyed doing business with James D. Julia's as a buyer and seller. A very well run company. Time will tell. Merry Christmas
Dave
Posted By: ed good Re: James D Julia auction house - 12/22/17 08:56 PM
have experienced satisfactory dealings with morphy...
Posted By: Remington40x Re: James D Julia auction house - 12/22/17 10:10 PM
Morphs is only about an hour from me. Are they moving the auctions down to the PA facility?
Posted By: KDGJ Re: James D Julia auction house - 12/22/17 11:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Morphs is only about an hour from me. Are they moving the auctions down to the PA facility?

It looks like the plan is to move the auctions to PA and NV after the Julia's Mar firearms auction. Julia's announcement

Ken
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com