doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Roberts OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 12:53 AM
I have a 14 lb. ribeye roast (boneless) I am going to cook for our Christmas get together. Been awhile since I've done one of these, what are y'all's method as far as time and temperature? Thanks guys.
JR
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 01:10 AM
Here's what I do. YMMV of course.
Put roast on counter long enough to get it close to room temp
Pre-Heat oven to 500f

Oil, and liberally season roast with salt and coarse black pepper
Place in roaster fat side up
put in oven, and close the door
roast for 5 min. /lb of meat

shut off oven
do not open the door
let heat soak for 2 hrs

remove and rest 10 minutes
Center will be med-rare 130 degrees
Posted By: eeb Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 01:24 AM
How about bone-in ?
Posted By: 992B Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 01:47 AM
According to wife, chief chef and roast cooker, this is how she does her mouth watering good rib eye roast. I asked her her recipe and these are her instructions.

Prime Rib/Rib Roast
Determine what time you’re serving the meal and work backwards for time.

Take roast out of packaging and place on a roasting rack in the roasting pan the night before cooking. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight, uncovered so the outside of the roast dries
Bring roast to room temperature, which will take about 5-6 hours for a boneless 14 lb roast.

Preheat oven to 500F.

Combine approximately 5 sticks of room temperature butter with ½ - 1 cup chopped fresh rosemary and two whole finely minced garlic bulbs (not just cloves). Cover the entire roast with the butter mixture, including the ends. Place roast back on the rack in the pan and cover with about 2 cups of kosher salt.

Put in 500F oven in UNCOVERED roasting pan for 5 minutes per pound. Your 14 pound roast will take 70 minutes at 500F. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR WHILE COOKING, OR FOR TWO HOURS AFTER COOKING IS FINISHED!!!

Turn oven off and leave in the oven for 2 hours. This is critical: Do NOT open oven door until it’s time to take out. After two hours, take roast out, lightly tent with foil for about 45 minutes (it’s still cooking). Remove roast and make au jus with the pan drippings.

This provides a roast where the middle is medium rare and the ends are medium.

If you'd like her au jus recipe, just ask.

This makes a delicious, wonderful roast.

Good luck.

Posted By: Replacement Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 02:29 AM
If you have an oven with infrared, try low and slow. Let roast come to near room temp, then put small slices in surface of roast and stuff garlic cloves and rosemary into the slits. Season surface lightly with salt, no pepper yet because pepper will burn. Preheat oven to 250F, put roast in and let if go for a long time, probably five hours for a 14 pounder. For the last 20 minutes or so, turn on the infrared to put a nice crust on the roast. Check internal temp with a meat thermometer to be sure it's where you want it, remembering that there will be some carry over cooking, pull it out and cover for at least 20-30 minutes, then slice and serve. The infrared finish is pretty hard to beat, and the low/slow routine keeps it juicy.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 02:58 AM
I have an ancient Farberware countertop rotiserie electric grill that does a fabulous job on prime rib, and capons, but, have never done a rib eye on it.
Can't imagine it would do a less than stellar job, however.
I prefer roasts on the Weber Performa rotiserie over charcoal, but, the daytime high temp on Christmas Eve is supposed to be about -5 degrees.

I won't be grilling anything that day.
Good Luck.

Merry Christmas.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 03:34 AM
Season and cook for 6 hours at 250. Have it on some sort of grate over a pan with an inch or two of water in it. It will get even more tender if you shut it off afterwards and let it rest and break down some more for another hour
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 02:16 PM
Part of the cooking is what you buy at the store. For years the steaks I cooked and also "prime rib" were forgettable. Hardly worth the effort. I probably bought most of the meat on sale. My wife brought home a "prime graded" filet, and I became a great steak cook. I had probably been buying choice or good cuts. Now, when we have beef, which is not often, we get "prime" graded meat. The same with a "prime rib" . Get a prime grade and you won't regret the expense. Most restaurants have prime rib on their menus , but I doubt most actually serve a "prime graded" piece of meat. I find restaurant prime rib often disappointing.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 04:20 PM
1.25 lbs of butter at 500˚? Get much smoke?

Originally Posted By: 992B
According to wife, chief chef and roast cooker, this is how she does her mouth watering good rib eye roast. I asked her her recipe and these are her instructions.

Prime Rib/Rib Roast
Determine what time you’re serving the meal and work backwards for time.

Take roast out of packaging and place on a roasting rack in the roasting pan the night before cooking. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight, uncovered so the outside of the roast dries
Bring roast to room temperature, which will take about 5-6 hours for a boneless 14 lb roast.

Preheat oven to 500F.

Combine approximately 5 sticks of room temperature butter with ½ - 1 cup chopped fresh rosemary and two whole finely minced garlic bulbs (not just cloves). Cover the entire roast with the butter mixture, including the ends. Place roast back on the rack in the pan and cover with about 2 cups of kosher salt.

Put in 500F oven in UNCOVERED roasting pan for 5 minutes per pound. Your 14 pound roast will take 70 minutes at 500F. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR WHILE COOKING, OR FOR TWO HOURS AFTER COOKING IS FINISHED!!!

Turn oven off and leave in the oven for 2 hours. This is critical: Do NOT open oven door until it’s time to take out. After two hours, take roast out, lightly tent with foil for about 45 minutes (it’s still cooking). Remove roast and make au jus with the pan drippings.

This provides a roast where the middle is medium rare and the ends are medium.

If you'd like her au jus recipe, just ask.

This makes a delicious, wonderful roast.

Good luck.

Posted By: kirkp Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 04:37 PM
Neighbor was talking about how he cooks a prime rib. He makes a paste with kosher salt and other seasonings which is then caked on the roast. The salt crust is broken off prior to serving. Says it's the best he's ever had and surprisingly isn't overly salty.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 05:15 PM
Many thanks gentlemen for all the recommendation. Do you think cooking on the convection setting will significantly impact cooking time? Most everyone in our family will prefer a roast @ medium rather than medium rare.

Merry Christmas to all here. I love you all and value your friendship greatly.
JR
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 05:20 PM
Kirk, the salt crust is super.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 05:34 PM
We used to make our salt crust in a heavy paste with dijon mustard. I'm not sure what that did, but it didn't taste of mustard or overly salty. Haven't made one for quite a while, but it sure seems tempting again. I'm not a big fan of restaurant steaks either, way many more so so dinners than treats, because it's so easy to grill a decent steak if one gets a little heat going and doesn't poke at it.
Posted By: 992B Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Many thanks gentlemen for all the recommendation. Do you think cooking on the convection setting will significantly impact cooking time? Most everyone in our family will prefer a roast @ medium rather than medium rare.

Merry Christmas to all here. I love you all and value your friendship greatly.
JR

JR,

I asked my wife about three things, to use convection, to slow cook, and how to get medium instead of medium rare in the middle.

She said that the convection setting should not be used at 500F because it's already hot as blazes. Use conventional.

She has tried slow cooking, and five minutes per pound at five hundred degrees. She slow cooks cheap pieces of meat, every time, to break down the fibers of the meat and make it tender. But with a boneless rib eye prime rib, you're dealing with a chunk of meat that's the very best of the cow, that costs over two hundred dollars unless it's on sale. For the best, you sear the outside by quick cooking, to seal up the juices.

As to getting more medium cooked meat, she says about half the roast will be medium, but to get that, the middle must be medium rare. The ends are delicious at medium, but would NOT be if they were well done.

And the one and only meat I love medium rare, is the middle of a sizzling hot prime rib roast, with au jus sauce poured over it.

It's your roast, but the wife says follow her directions exactly or use the slow cook method like you would for a cheaper piece of meat.

Hope this helps, and Merry Christmas!
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 05:56 PM
Craig and Kirk , we used to make our salt crusts out of rock salt with liberal pepper rubbed on before making the crust. When the salt was applied , a spray bottle of water helped the salt crust set up. Yes, no overly salty taste when done. It was super to use a bone in “prime” rib. A bit later the bones could be used for bbq ribs. Oh, so good. This was all a slow cook procedure at under 300 degrees for hours. All worth the wait. Now, with no kids around, a big prime rib is too much, but I sure do enjoy thinking of it.
Posted By: GLS Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 06:51 PM
One of the traditional "sides" mom would make with the standing rib roast was Yorkshire pudding and gravy from the juices (grease) of the roast. It was to die for and probably would help in the killing. Gil
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 09:01 PM
I have used ClapZap's way for several bits of meat.

I found it in a Robert Carrier book...he called it No Roast Roast Beef. google it
But you have to do it correctly, mins x lbs
The end result is the most (& moist) perfect pink beef ever,
there is no well done ring & no rare middle ,,,its all the same colour wich is up to the cook

Merry Christmas to you all
xxx
Franc
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 09:11 PM
I worked at a Victoria Station Restaurant 1979-81, they were a national chain whose specialty was prime rib, I ate more rib than I care to remember.

Depending on the night they would roast 4-12 20 pound bone in ribs/day in a convection oven. They left the fat cap on, put them bones down on in pan, some water in the bottom, and then put about a full pound of kosher salt on top of the fat cap.

They would just cut the fat cap and salt off when it came time to carve, really was quite delicious.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/22/17 09:31 PM
Over-season to taste.
Remember only the outside of a very thick piece of meat will be seasoned.
Separate bones for ease of serving and tie back on for the ride.
Place on center rack of BBQ and light only one of the side burners.
Kettle temperature may reach 300 degrees or so.

Cook to an internal temp of about 122 degrees.
Foil wrap and let rest on counter for about 20 minutes.
Internal temp will continue to rise to maybe 124-126.
Perfect medium rare.

I made this tester last week in preparation for Christmas eve.
I hate Prime Rib and decided to go with smoked Pork Tenderloin roast instead.

Mo bettah'
10 spice dry rub, brown sugar and hickory.
Please note the smoke ring!

Posted By: ed good Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/23/17 12:04 AM
regarding yorkshire pudding, try this:

https://www.englishteastore.com/goldenfry-yorkshire-pudding-mix.html
Posted By: kirkp Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/23/17 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Over-season to taste.
Remember only the outside of a very thick piece of meat will be seasoned.
Separate bones for ease of serving and tie back on for the ride.
Place on center rack of BBQ and light only one of the side burners.
Kettle temperature may reach 300 degrees or so.

Cook to an internal temp of about 122 degrees.
Foil wrap and let rest on counter for about 20 minutes.
Internal temp will continue to rise to maybe 124-126.
Perfect medium rare.

I made this tester last week in preparation for Christmas eve.
I hate Prime Rib and decided to go with smoked Pork Tenderloin roast instead.

Mo bettah'
10 spice dry rub, brown sugar and hickory.
Please note the smoke ring!

That tenderloin looks simply fantastic.
Kirk
Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/23/17 02:45 AM
When cooking a rib roast the goal is to have nice juicy roast that has a nice brown crust and no over cooked gray areas. You want it to be a nice even rare to medium rare from edge to edge with that crispy flavorful crust.

Two temperatures are important: 125 degrees which is medium rare and 310 degrees which is the temperature at which the Maillard reaction occurs. That is the process by which amino acids and reducing sugars recombine to form that crust and fantastic roasty aromas. Above 310 degrees, meat will quickly brown and crisp once the moisture in the meat is driven off.

Here is the secret to achieving that.

First buy a good and accurate meat thermometer. We want an center temperature of about 120-125 degrees when done for rare to medium rare.

Salt is your friend for that crust. I like to salt my rib roast an hour or two before putting it in the oven. I oil the roast with butter or olive oil and the sprinkle it heavily with a nice kosher salt along with course ground pepper, garlic powder and rosemary.

Put your roast on a rack in a pan. Insert the oven safe thermometer. Cook your roast until the thermometer hits 120 degrees. Pull the roast out of the oven and tent it with foil. Don't wrap it tight we don't want to steam the outside of the roast.We want to let it rest at least 20 to 30 minutes.

Now we have a roast that will be evenly cooked rare to medium rare. The surface of the roast will have desiccated (dried enough) which will allow it to quickly develop a nice seared crust.

Crank the oven to 500 degrees. We want to sear the outside of the roast for that perfect brown crust. Put the roast in the oven 7 or 8 minutes. We want to sear the outside, not cook the roast more.

This will give you a restaurant quality cooked rib roast. Perfectly even pink and tender roast with a wonderful crust. Cooked by this method you will not over cook the cap muscle on the rib roast. That cap or deckle steak is the best piece of meat on the beef. Don't turn it gray, ruin it, by over cooking in a high temperature to start oven.
Posted By: Cameron Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/23/17 04:09 AM
There was an article in the food section of the local newspaper on Wednesday, where the author talked about having cooked prime rib various ways over the years, most of which have been mentioned in this thread, and he's now settled on the method that Slowpokebill describes.

I figured I'd test that method myself on Christmas day!

Blessed Christmas all!
Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/23/17 03:59 PM
I learned that method from my late brother. He had a degree in culinary arts and worked at a few of Utah's high end restaurants. It is how he learned to cook prime rib.

It is super easy and it comes out perfect every time. The most critical thing is a good meat thermometer. I have a digital one that is spot on.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/23/17 04:44 PM
I wouldn't use a powdered Yorkshire pud' when its so simple from scratch...Dear old Mum would never forgive me.
I use my mums recipe, but its exactly the same as the one in an old Betty Crocker book I have...cup all purp' flour ,cup o milk, 2 eggs pinch salt & mix to batter...my mum used to do a big shallow pan,I prefer individual big muffin pan with 1/4"
smoking dripping or oil..abot 30 mins at 400 till golden brown.
I put them in while Im finishing the roast spuds n parsnips...man Im getting hungry
Anyone out there a fan of Colmans english mustard??
merries to all
franc
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/23/17 05:37 PM
Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas I cook prime rib, not turkey, for my son and I as well as some portion of our extended family, usually my sister and her kids and anyone else on the eastern side of the country.

I use the 500 degree high heat for 4.5 to 5 min per pound depending on how done I want it and I have never had better results. I dry and salt the exterior, as has been mentioned. I make sure it's at room temp. I make sure no one goes near the oven to ensure the door doesn't get opened. The roast I get is very nicely seared on the outside with a perfectly even medium rare finish all the way across the inside. Zero grey meat near the crust.

The one thing I would say about this method is it's best for prime ribs that are in the 4 to 9 pound range. If they are bigger, the timing is a bit off and I haven't worked out the adjustment.

And when the roast comes out, in goes the Yorkshire pudding. I'm the opposite of Franc. My mom used to do them in muffin tins, but after going to an English style boarding school (my headmaster was the Marquis of Ely and would sit in the House of Lords when in England) where the Yorkshire was done in a pan, I switched my allegiance and have never looked back.

I typically do two pans of Yorkshire.....one to serve my family and one that I fight over with one of my nephews after dinner. Best dessert ever!
Posted By: rwarren Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/24/17 04:28 PM
For those using the 5 minute and 2 hours in the off oven. Be careful with newer ovens, some have fans that cool them down when the oven is turned off. We have one that does. Should be no problem but you will need to kill the breaker to the oven to stop the fan. My son used our oven Friday for prime rib, never had a problem in his but had lots to do so used ours. We discovered the issue half hour into the 2 hours. Then had to deal with it and it did not turn out well for the roast! There are comments on the internet about this issue. If you let the roast go through the 2 hours in an oven like ours it will be rare from what I understand. We will be doing a 10 pound prime rib tomorrow in our oven so will see how it goes killing the breaker. Merry Christmas, Bob Warren
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/24/17 05:01 PM
Bob, that's a great head's up. Thank you. I have an older oven so it's not an issue but I'm glad to know about the potential problem.

Merry Christmas!
Posted By: mark Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/24/17 05:56 PM
Just put mine on the pellet grill!

Did it last year and it immediately became a yearly tradition!
Posted By: rwarren Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/24/17 08:29 PM
Mark, I have a pellet grill and thought about using it for prime rib at some point. How are you cooking yours?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/25/17 12:12 AM
Update. I used CZ's method and it turned out just superb. One thing I think really helped was allowing the roast to sit out covered the night before to come completely to room temperature before cooking.
JR
Posted By: mark Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/25/17 12:55 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater
Posted By: mark Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/25/17 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: boboreno
Mark, I have a pellet grill and thought about using it for prime rib at some point. How are you cooking yours?

I looked at a bunch of ways to do it and pick the easiest way. I season the outside the day before with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pull it out of the fridge early to let warm up. Pre hear grill to 375 put in fat up and turn down to 300. Remove when internal is 130-135 wrap in foil and rest till everything else is ready. Enjoy!!!
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/25/17 01:11 AM
Like this Franc?
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/25/17 01:13 AM
John, I'm glad to have been of help. Beef, fire, oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and a bit of Thyme, is all it takes.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/25/17 02:59 AM
Tried Slowpokebill's method on a small pork roast a little bit earlier. Ran it up to 140* because it's pork, gave it a good rest then did the 500* finish. Very slight pink, tender and juicy. We're having some friends over for New Years eve, tempted to pick up a small prime rib roast, but it'll have to be bone in. Merry Christmas folks, thanks for the mouth watering thread.
Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/25/17 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: mark

Pellet grills are one of the best inventions ever. I use mine more than my oven these days. I cook my rib roast in the on my pellet grill with mesquite pellets and just finish sear it the oven. I season it the same as always instead of using a BBQ style rub. Once you try cooking a rib roast on the pellet grill you will never cook another in the house.

For Christmas dinner I have a small turkey I'm roasting out on the pellet grill again with mesquite pellets. It won't be like smoked turkey just a nice juicy turkey with a hint of mesquite smoke flavor to it.
Posted By: mark Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/25/17 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Slowpokebill
Originally Posted By: mark

Pellet grills are one of the best inventions ever. I use mine more than my oven these days. I cook my rib roast in the on my pellet grill with mesquite pellets and just finish sear it the oven. I season it the same as always instead of using a BBQ style rub. Once you try cooking a rib roast on the pellet grill you will never cook another in the house.

For Christmas dinner I have a small turkey I'm roasting out on the pellet grill again with mesquite pellets. It won't be like smoked turkey just a nice juicy turkey with a hint of mesquite smoke flavor to it.

I love my pellet grill! Don't own another grill now. I like Turkey on it but my wife does not like the smoke flavor in the gravy. I love the temp control and the lack of flare up. Chicken is the best, no need to watch it. Throw it on and go mow the lawn. Put ribs on low and slow then go for a boat ride.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/29/17 02:25 AM
C Zapper...Yea, thats a little slice of heaven right there.
Looks like a fine hunk of pork pie, ...man that Colmans is really good stuff
I can;t think of much that I wouldn"t chance a swipe of it on it.
Happy New Year to you all lads/Lassies
Peace
franc
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Cooking a rib roast - 12/29/17 06:06 PM
Truly one of the most informative and useful threads we've had around here. IMHO...Geo

Yep, we did one for Christmas this year.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com