doublegunshop.com - home
I just treated myself to a Beretta S3EELL---it's an early 60's model. I'm amazed at the quality of engraving and workmanship that went into this sidelock over under. I never had the opportunity to inspect one closely. Shooting my little baby must wait for warmer weather.
I did some internet searching to see other similar guns and compare them. I see that SO series probably started in the 70's and both the S series and SO series may have been built in parallel for a while. I think the SO series has a modified lock design but overall they are very similar in appearance.
Can anyone share their experience and comments about these fine guns?
Bill
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 12/28/17 05:55 AM
Well done Calgary Bill,
I am rather particular with using the term 'Best Gun', but you have one there in your S3 EELL. From an outsider living in Australia, it seems to me that early Beretta sidelocks and to a lesser extent modern high grade Berettas are somewhat under-rated in the US.
I have an S2 made in 1967 and have read lots of information on the 'S' series Berettas. The S series sidelocks came before the SO's and the lock design was changed during the S series.
I found the following on another website and saved it as a screenshot, but I'll type it below for you...

"The S1 became the SO4 and then the SO5.
The S2 became the SO2 and then the SO6.
The S3 became the SO3 and then the SO9.
The S1 was unadorned and the SO4 and SO5 have minimal engraving. The S3 and SO3 had more elaborate engraving. In addition the final series was more highly graded again, using the letters EL, EEL and EELL. Hence, the second grade S3 would be the S3EL and the top grade S3 would be the S3EELL.
Advantages of S/SO's are: very shallow (58mm) frame; excellent steel; excellent balance and handling, depending on the specimen; comparative cheapness; lower grades as well finished mechanically as the expensive ones; view over the wide fences is as close to a side by side as is possible to find in an u/o.
The trick to buying them is the barrel weight. The weight is usually stamped on the barrels and I've found the good handling in 12 gauge cuts out above 1.4kg. Around 1.34 - 1.36kg is better. The S2 and SO2 game guns, with 28" barrels, around 6lb 4oz, handle like a dream. Midweight (7lb) ones are also very desirable.
I think they are rather underrated, and not just for appearance."

Oh, I'd love to see a photo of your new S3 Bill.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 12/28/17 11:55 AM
You'll probably also find this article interesting...

https://www.fieldsportsmagazine.com/Shotguns/the-beretta-so.html
Thanks for all the info Aussie.
Agreed that the S/SO series are under rated in North America. My S3EELL has incredible workmanship.
My gun has two sets of barrels---the 28" bbls weigh 1.49 kg and the 30" bbls are 1.475---the weight of the gun is within an ounce with either set of barrels. The gun weighs 8 lbs and I suspect it was intended as a trap gun but it has seen little use in its 50+ year life.
Each set of barrels have Briley choke tubes which suits me fine.
Engraving is by S Tononcelli and is of the floral scroll type.
In due course I'll have my smith take the locks off and see what beholds inside.
I normally take my pics outside in the shade but today it is -30 which precludes that idea. I'll try some indoor lighting and see what happens.
I've looked at about half a dozen S3EELL on the net and the engraving patterns are similar but not identical. It seems each engraver was allowed some freedom to express his skills. In contrast, Browning Midas grade engraving is remarkably similar from gun to gun.
I found one EELL that was case coloured but the others are not case coloured---not sure what finish Beretta use but it certainly enhances the engraving and doesn't fade with time.
Posted By: mel5141 Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 12/28/17 04:26 PM
They represent one of the MOST durable sidelock designs ever produced.....I know of individual pieces still in use in Europe with 100,000 plus Heavy pigeon loads thru them that have scarcely ever had a screw turned on them except routine maintenance.....They are,by design, very "renewable" engineered with the idea of being easily tightened or brought back to factory specs , but only after LOTS of shots....

Among the most reliable of all single trigger designs (particularly the non selective type) ever put into wide spread use...

Enjoy it, you have acquired a truly FINE gun....
Originally Posted By: mel5141
They represent one of the MOST durable sidelock designs ever produced.....I know of individual pieces still in use in Europe with 100,000 plus Heavy pigeon loads thru them that have scarcely ever had a screw turned on them except routine maintenance.....They are,by design, very "renewable" engineered with the idea of being easily tightened or brought back to factory specs , but only after LOTS of shots....

Among the most reliable of all single trigger designs (particularly the non selective type) ever put into wide spread use...

Enjoy it, you have acquired a truly FINE gun....

I would agree on all points. There IS a slight weakness though (or at least a perceived weakness) in that the stocks are a bit weak in the wrist area. I have an S06 30" 12 bore 'field' model - and have owned it from new (20+ years) and it has had a lot of use - and walked many miles in Scottish weather. It has stood up well, though the woodwork has a few signs of use. It is largely 'retired' now as I find as I age I prefer a lighter gun (it is heavy). A number of people have advised me to be gentle closing it as stock breakage with rough handling seems to be the one weak area. If I had my time again I would buy another, but 28" with straight hand stock and double triggers. When I bought mine, that would have been special order, whereas I could have a 'stock' gun at a generous discount, but little discount on a special order.
I'd wager all the responses here are by people trying to increase demand for these absolute turds of a sidelock o/u. Everyone needs to send me their SO guns, I'll offer a handsome sum of $1000 a piece for ridding the streets of such filth.
I have broken one leaf spring after minimal use of my SO2, made around 1984. Otherwise, it is a wonderful gun. I did not approach any of the normal Beretta gurus, but I will if I have further problems.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 12/29/17 02:51 AM
Beretta modified the S/SO series guns over time. They started out with an 7'pin lock to include a cocking indicator. Around 1958 they used a 5/4 pin design. In the mid-80s they went to a 4/3 pin design. Some of the S3s in this time period actually have the SO6 lock.

Be careful on simplifying the S1 becoming an SO4, etc. Beretta was making S1s into the 70s (at least). The SO4s were also produced at this same time. SO4s and SO5s were produced at the same time. There is also confusion caused by Garcia naming the S3EL an SO4 and the S3EELL an SO5 when they were importing the S guns into the US.

I haven't seen a gun marked SO on the lock frame. I'm not sure if/when Beretta marked a gun as an SO. Does anyone have a picture of an S series gun marked SO?

Ken
Often the SO designation is engraved on the trigger guard.
I had the luck to spend some time with the late Giovanni Metelli, head of the Beretta premium gun department. His view was that each generation of SO guns was an improvement, contraty to the common view that older is better.

The SO design is the only high end OU I have encountered that manages to incorporate side reinforcement, in the form of the replaceable shoulders, that keeps the action narrow as well as shallow. Compare the width of an SO with any "Boss" design to see the difference. It is one of the best OU sidelocks ever built.
Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
It is one of the best OU sidelocks ever built.

It is a very well built gun - no doubt, and looks beautiful. To actually shoot a sidelock o/u I prefer the Merkel 303 - mainly for it's faster handling and lighter weight.

In my view the SO wins on looks, but the Merkel on handling
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 12/29/17 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore

The older Berettas don't have this kind of standard marking. The older S2 and S3 guns contained the model designation. The S3ELs and S3EELLs from the 1970s have a serial number on the trigger guard. I'm not sure when/if Beretta standardized the trigger guard designation marking.

I also have the old thread from 2004 with the SO discussion, but is a pdf file and I don't know how to post it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ken
Just looked at an S3EL at a very attractive price. It has some issues, most of which appear to be minor. From the 50's I think, with cocking indicators. Straight grip, 28" barrels, tight chokes. Pretty clearly a field gun. I'm not an OU guy, but I may take a chance on this one, take care of the minor issues and, if I don't like it, pass it on to someone who does. Very nice SNST when I tried it. Standard inertia variety.
Posted By: Dr. P Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 12/29/17 10:57 PM
I recently bought an S3EL for a good price because it has a straight English stock and double triggers. That is the profile I prefer and it is also what kept the price down compared to its ST brethren.

Unlike later heavier SOs this 12 bore with 28” tubes from 1969 handles great. Even with the leather cover pad I added to bring the LOP out to 15”, the total weight is only 7’ 6”. Came with Briley thin wall chokes already installed. CG is 4” forward of the front trigger at the hinge pin.

Happy camper I am!
Dr. p
Originally Posted By: KDGJ
Originally Posted By: eightbore

The older Berettas don't have this kind of standard marking. The older S2 and S3 guns contained the model designation. The S3ELs and S3EELLs from the 1970s have a serial number on the trigger guard. I'm not sure when/if Beretta standardized the trigger guard designation marking.

I also have the old thread from 2004 with the SO discussion, but is a pdf file and I don't know how to post it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ken

My S3EELL is a 1962 model and the trigger guard has neither the serial number nor the model/grade---my trigger guard is relatively short probably because of the pistol grip. The model and grade appear on the top of the action and on the underside of the barrels.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 01/01/18 08:47 PM
CBill,

S Tonnecelli was a Beretta master engraver. Here's another example of his work.

Ken
Lovely, with the straight hand stock and double triggers. Almost all seen in the UK are single trigger pistol grip which is such a shame.
Posted By: JNW Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 01/02/18 02:15 AM
A side lock Beretta o/u is one of the few shotguns I still have a desire for. Incredible quality for the price of a used one. I, too, would prefer a straight stock double trigger gun. What a wonderful pheasant gun on the plains.
Regards,
Jeff
CBill,

Ken

The engraving pattern is similar but not identical to mine---same engraver as yours---I understand that he died prematurely and thus did not engrave a lot of guns---is your gun an early 60's gun as well?.
Your gun has gold pins, mine does not. Yours has a pierced top lever, mine does not. Yours has a double trigger, mine is a single trigger. Yours is a straight stock, mine is pistol grip. I'm sure my gun was intended as a trap gun as it is 8 lbs with a slightly higher comb than would a conventional hunting gun.
The workmanship on these EELL guns is incredible---a sleeper on the market, in my opinion.
A quick web search shows several Fracassi engraved guns that command a considerable premium vs similar guns by lesser known engravers.
In due course I will get pics to share with all.
Bill
Thank you for a very informative thread on one of my favorite guns. Several years ago I bought an 12b S3 that Cole had gone thru completely and I just love it......enough that a confirmed SxS guy like my self has wavered and now shoots both SxS and O/U. It does have much less but very intricate and subtle engraving with full coverage and slightly plainer wood than pictured above, but handles like a Ferrari at 6lbs 13oz with the 1.395kg barrels. It's straight stock, double triggers and solid rib make it just about perfect for me.
Originally Posted By: Bob Blair
Thank you for a very informative thread on one of my favorite guns. Several years ago I bought an 12b S3 that Cole had gone thru completely and I just love it......enough that a confirmed SxS guy like my self has wavered and now shoots both SxS and O/U. It does have much less but very intricate and subtle engraving with full coverage and slightly plainer wood than pictured above, but handles like a Ferrari at 6lbs 13oz with the 1.395kg barrels. It's straight stock, double triggers and solid rib make it just about perfect for me.

Mine (30" barrels) unfortunately weighs a full 8 lbs despite a 14 5/8" stock and handles more like a large Mercedes - it would be so much nicer a pound lighter.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 01/04/18 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Calgary Bill
CBill,

Ken

The engraving pattern is similar but not identical to mine---same engraver as yours---I understand that he died prematurely and thus did not engrave a lot of guns---is your gun an early 60's gun as well?.
Your gun has gold pins, mine does not. Yours has a pierced top lever, mine does not. Yours has a double trigger, mine is a single trigger. Yours is a straight stock, mine is pistol grip. I'm sure my gun was intended as a trap gun as it is 8 lbs with a slightly higher comb than would a conventional hunting gun.
The workmanship on these EELL guns is incredible---a sleeper on the market, in my opinion.
A quick web search shows several Fracassi engraved guns that command a considerable premium vs similar guns by lesser known engravers.
Bill

Bill,

Yes...Tononcelli died in 1969 (he was 44). My gun was proofed in 1966 (XXII). I don't understand the premium plus on Fracassi engraved guns. Yes, he became a very famous engraver, but it is still a standard Beretta pattern.

My gun weighs 7lbs 4 oz (barrels are 3 lb 2 oz (1,37 kg) and has the game style fore end. The barrels are 28".

Ken
The one I looked at recently had S3EL stamped on the bottom of the barrels along with a normal date (a couple digits hard to read, but I think it's 1956) rather than the Italian Roman numeral date code from that era. Engraving very similar to the photos on the previous page, but with cocking indicators which I don't see on those, even when I blow up the photos.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 01/04/18 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
The one I looked at recently had S3EL stamped on the bottom of the barrels along with a normal date (a couple digits hard to read, but I think it's 1956) rather than the Italian Roman numeral date code from that era. Engraving very similar to the photos on the previous page, but with cocking indicators which I don't see on those, even when I blow up the photos.

Larry,

Beretta removed the cocking indicators around 1959. This is when they stopped using the 7-pin lock design (sometimes referred to as the H&H design) and used the Beretta improved 5/4 pin lock design.

I have a photo of a gun stamped 1950 instead of the date code. It appears Beretta used dates for some reason (just not known).

Ken
Originally Posted By: Calgary Bill
CBill,

Ken

Bill

Bill,

Yes...Tononcelli died in 1969 (he was 44). My gun was proofed in 1966 (XXII). I don't understand the premium plus on Fracassi engraved guns. Yes, he became a very famous engraver, but it is still a standard Beretta pattern.

My gun weighs 7lbs 4 oz (barrels are 3 lb 2 oz (1,37 kg) and has the game style fore end. The barrels are 28".

Ken

I have looked at every S3EELL that I can find on the web and the engraving patterns are similar but not identical. It seems that the engravers had some freedom to exhibit their skills. In my opinion the Fracassi engraved guns do indeed show a higher level of expertise. I wouldn't be paying the high premium charged by the dealers but if Fracassi engraved guns were the same price as other EELL's I would pick Fracassi.
Ken---have you taken the locks off your gun and given them a close inspection---were they gold washed, or partially washed---were the inside of the locks nicely finished? I wish my locks were hand detachable, but they are not so I must make a trip to my smith to do the job as well as oil and clean. I don't trust myself to take off the locks with the tiny locking screws.
Wel, here's one of my favorite Berettas....the one I described above.

Posted By: Nick. C Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 01/05/18 07:43 PM
On a slight tangent, take care if you're having these barrels re blacked, I believe some models are soft soldered.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 01/05/18 08:59 PM
Bill,

The lock pins are gold washed along with the triggers. The locks are nicely jeweled and finished on the inside (see pic).

The inletting isn't bad.

Bob,

The S3 looks great.

Ken
Bill,

The lock pins are gold washed along with the triggers. The locks are nicely jeweled and finished on the inside (see pic).

The inletting isn't bad.

Bob,

The S3 looks great.

Ken

Thanks, Ken---those locks are beautiful---I have seen a number of English locks, but none compare to your Beretta's. I suspect my locks don't have the gold washing as there is none on the exterior, can't see it being in the interior.
Just remembered that Westley Richard drop locks are nicely finished with engine turning but don't recall seeing any gold.
Bill
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Comparing Beretta S Series and SO Series - 01/06/18 12:54 AM
Bill,

I've seen 1 or 2 WRs with gold locks. Look at pictures 14 and 15 of this one on gubroker.

WR

Ken
Bill,

I've seen 1 or 2 WRs with gold locks. Look at pictures 14 and 15 of this one on gubroker.

WR

Ken

Those are quite the locks---fitting for such a beautiful gun.
My WR drop locks have gold L and R to differentiate which is which. C
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com