doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: old colonel Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/08/18 06:10 PM
Looking at a Model 21, serial number in the 30,000 range, with 29 5/8 inch barrels. Muzzles look right in pictures, but the odd length has got my attention.

Is it possible the barrels are correct?

How long are the chokes on late Winchester 21? (I can measure that when I get the gun in hand)
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/08/18 07:07 PM
I have never seen M21 barrels that are not even length. I suspicious that they could be cut. Have a good look at the muzzle end and check the solder joining the barrels. Also does the bead look original.
Not sure how long the chokes are but if the chokes aren't what is marked on the underside of the barrels then you can be pretty sure they have been cut.
Posted By: ed good Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/08/18 08:46 PM
cody museum might have factory records...

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/
Posted By: craigd Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/08/18 09:24 PM
Since you will have the gun in hand, you could also remeasure the length of the barrels. I doubt it would be way off, but I wouldn't take it as gospel.
Posted By: Gary Rennles Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/09/18 12:06 AM
Model 21 barrel print

http://library.centerofthewest.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/WRAC/id/9579/rec/78
Posted By: Buzz Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/09/18 12:32 AM
Definitely call Cody as Ed suggested. 29 5/8” is fishy. 30,000 serial # plus, some of those are Galazan guns.
Posted By: AlanCope Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/09/18 01:53 PM
I had a 12 ga. made with 29" barrels.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/09/18 07:22 PM
Drop the gun and dent the muzzle end of the barrels? Cut off 3/8" and you are good to go...
Posted By: keith Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/09/18 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Chukarman
Drop the gun and dent the muzzle end of the barrels? Cut off 3/8" and you are good to go...

Yep, and probably about the minimum amount you could cut off to completely remove any trace of the original hole in the rib for the front bead. Muzzles touching are not always a guarantee that barrels are uncut. You have to look at the whole picture including the quality and appearance (squareness of the ends, hacksaw or file marks, bluing, etc.), length of choke tapers, choke diameters (a 3/8" cut wouldn't change this much at all) presence of fillers or keels (I don't think they were used on Model 21's), and proper location of the bead, centered and the right distance back from the muzzles. Of course, the correct undamaged factory bead offers another clue. A hang-tag, invoice, or factory letter is most conclusive if possible. I'm always suspicious of odd number or fractional inch lengths on American doubles. But I've also found that some sellers just aren't very good with a tape measure.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/09/18 10:41 PM
If it indeed now measures 29 5/8" cutting off 3/8" is still going to leave it 29 1/4" long, need to cut a bit more to "Even" it up to a standard full inch length. Of course 29" is still pretty much an odd ball length for an American double, but 28" would definitely show signs of having been cut.

If it is otherwise "Worth the Price" asked & shoots right to suit, I would just live with it As Is.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/10/18 12:10 AM
Appreciate all the input. I will see the gun tomorrow in person to evaluate and will let you know what I figure out.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/10/18 11:23 PM
Keith, you were dead right. They don’t know how to measure.

This is a shortcut to their listing: http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100863629

I measured the barrels and they were 30 inches, not 29 5/8 as in their postings.

The bores measured at 0.725 and 0.730 which they probably left the factory with and the chokes measured 0.10 & 0.20 which matched with Winchester specs and the marked chokes. A replacement front bead and missing middle bead.

The beavertail forend may not be original, but a Cody letter will sort that out. A previous owner messed it up with touch up bluing staining the wood some.

It mounts comfortably and is nicely balanced.

All said after trading some guns, I have a new duck gun. Which I may or may not put Briley tubes in at some point, but over decoys with bismuth may work well enough.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/10/18 11:31 PM
Most Model 21's sported a BTFE.
Those with Splinter Forends are kind of scarce.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/11/18 01:21 AM

Thank you for the thought.

Too late for the recommendation, already got the other. Being able to trade for it made it less problematic and made it easy by not now having to sell off the excess guns I no longer wanted.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/11/18 03:14 AM
Originally Posted By: old colonel
All said after trading some guns, I have a new duck gun. Which I may or may not put Briley tubes in at some point, but over decoys with bismuth may work well enough.

You might be somewhat happy with the IC choke and modified chokes with bismuth, but you might find they're not quite enough to dishrag the big ducks. When I shoot bismuth I've got IM or tighter chokes. Wounded ducks are no fun, and they require extra shells to dispatch as they're swimming away ..............if you've got enough choke to do it. Sometimes several extra shells, and bismuth ain't cheap.

Steel would pattern much tighter in those chokes than bismuth. I shoot bismuth in my old vintage guns that I think really need it, but my 30" BSS gets fed a steady diet of steel. The 21 can handle steel every bit as well as the BSS, and you've got two great chokes there for steel over dekes, and even longer shots with the M (.020") barrel. JMO, YMMV.

SRH
Posted By: keith Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/11/18 03:59 AM
Originally Posted By: old colonel
Keith, you were dead right. They don’t know how to measure.

No surprise there. I've ran into the same situation several times. Some people don't know whether to include the rib extension. And some people couldn't give you a ballpark measurement of a yardstick. I've also bought both 16 and 10 gauge guns from actual gun dealers who should know better, that were. advertised as 12 gauge. Sadly, it's sometimes tough to make an informed decision even when you ask very specific questions.
Posted By: 12brd Re: Mod 21 original barrel length - 01/11/18 04:41 AM
Very well could be the original front bead. Customer could get whatever you wanted from Winchester. Need the Cody letter to be sure.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com