doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 2-piper G & H grade Lefevers - 01/13/18 09:59 PM
Hi All;
My understanding is the G grade was added to Lefever's line in 1891 with introduction of the "Two hook" mechanism while the H came along in 1898 & was built on a Large hook design.

My question is does anyone have any knowledge of either grade being built to an earlier action type than these stated, even an experimental/development gun if documentation exists.

PS;
I am postig to both this forum as well as the LACA forum. I am aware a good number monitor both, but just in case some only does one of them don't want to miss an opportunity for info. No need to reply to both.
Posted By: Nudge Re: G & H grade Lefevers - 01/14/18 01:34 PM
2-piper,

I have not PERSONALLY seen any G's which are rod cockers. Nor have I seen any 2-hook cocker H's. But if Bob Noble's recently shared theory is correct regarding Lefever serializing barrels, which were then later matched to frames...then certainly it's possible some are out there.

But from what we're thus far observed, my sense is barring out of sequence guns, G's began in the 2-hook era and H's in the single hook era.

NDG
Posted By: keith Re: G & H grade Lefevers - 01/14/18 11:06 PM
Same here Miller. I have never seen nor heard of a rod cocker G or a two hook H grade Lefever. And I check as many Lefevers as I can on various websites looking for both good deals and unusual features.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: G & H grade Lefevers - 01/15/18 05:52 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that all H grade guns are single hook guns. May not have made myself real clear here, but my question on the H is are there any Small Hook H's or are they all of the large hook variety. G 20,xxx is a two hook gun while G 28,xxx is a large hook gun (I have these). It would thus seem that "Most" small hook guns would fall between those numbers. My lowest numbered H is above 40K so not of much help.

may ot have been clear here but my question ont
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: G & H grade Lefevers - 01/15/18 10:42 PM
Ive got G listed 2 piece cockers.
Ive got H listed with small hooks.
Posted By: keith Re: G & H grade Lefevers - 01/17/18 12:28 PM
A bit off topic Miller, but here's a Lefever barrel type I can't recall seeing before. I thought you might find it interesting, while bringing your question about G and H grade back to the top. This one is on a DS grade 20 gauge:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/737654212

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: G & H grade Lefevers - 01/17/18 12:57 PM
The gun should have this mark also.

Charles Clement & Neumann Freres registered the mark in 1903: two crossed hammers with the inscription "Hammered Fluid Steel" and the letters "CJCJ" in the angles of the hammers.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: G & H grade Lefevers - 01/17/18 05:58 PM
Thanks Bob for the confirmation of the small hook H's. I knew the time frame made this a possibility, was just not certain if any were so fitted or not.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com