doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mel5141 Upland Boots - 02/04/18 07:28 PM
Gentlemen: I hope this is not going too far off topic......
Don't jump to conclusion and think I am posting something that should be in the For Sale threads, because a sale is not my goal...and I hope no one takes offence at my offer....

I have a pair of Russell Moccasin boots in the "McIntosh Bird Shooter" configuration. Size 12.5 C. They are not my "cup of tea" simply they don't really meet the requirements of footwear on my ranch....

They are double vamp, padded top,like new soles, made without heel counters. One could get on their site and get the details etc,. and see photos....

I will gladly send them along gratis to anyone here that can use them or might have a friend or hopefully a newer /younger shooter of their acquaintance that would benefit from some footwear.

I have had them for 3+ seasons and not tried them on in 2 years....I can see them for South American shooting like Mr. M mentioned in his endorsement or, in the upper Mid West Grouse woods that I recall from past years...

If width is a question let me confirm what Russell points out in their catalog....Just because you normally wear a D width for instance you may well wear a C or even B in their products.

I shot this morning in Irish Setter 13 D boots and I feel the Russell's are even wider.....

Enough time on non Double gun matters..... Let me know if anyone is interested in them....
Posted By: crs Re: Upland Boots - 02/04/18 07:31 PM
No thanks, but I will stick with my green Browning field boots. Had them for years and put a few more miles on them this past Friday; they are still the best bird hunting boots that I have ever owned.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Upland Boots - 02/04/18 08:27 PM
Very generous of you sir.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Upland Boots - 02/04/18 08:44 PM
Won't fit me, but +1 on your generosity...Geo

<http://www.russellmoccasin.com/mcintosh-bison-birdshooter/>
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Upland Boots - 02/04/18 08:47 PM
FWIW....those are almost $400 boots.
Posted By: Jeremy Pearce Re: Upland Boots - 02/04/18 08:49 PM
That happens to be my size.

I'm interested and will send you a PM.

Thanks for the offer.

JP
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Upland Boots - 02/04/18 09:55 PM
What I thoughtful gesture.
Well done Paul.

FWIW, I wear boots 12hrs plus every day year round. Technology has advanced. Old designs just can't cut it for me.

Molded footbeds are where it's at.

Mocassin toes are passe'. At least molded toe caps will make it through a season walking prairie grass.

Just like guns, there are "club boots", and using boots.

I'm wearing Doc Marten's Corvids in great comfort these days. I've walked over 220 measured miles in them since Dec 10, 2017, on polished concrete, with limited foot discomfort. (Composite toe isn't a perfect choice on concrete)
Posted By: mel5141 Re: Upland Boots - 02/04/18 11:53 PM
To those who responded via PM, Jeremy who posted here in the thread was the first PM asking for them.

I'll head them his way this week.
I hope he wears them many Happy miles with gun and dog.....
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 12:01 AM
That was more than kind. I still wear various versions of Red Wing Irish Setters, have for years. The last pair I bought were a chuka style boot, because after nearly 50 years of doing it, I've learned I can simply turn around instead of finding out how deep the water is, and how far it will go over my boots. They may be the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever owned.
I also have a ten inch pair for when I know it is going to be wetter. And a set of Red Ball rubber boots, for when I find out the hard way it is going to be wetter.
Use the boots in good health.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 12:20 AM
Wow. Nice gesture.
JR
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 12:49 AM
I would love to buy hem from you
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 12:50 AM
I am 12.5 but always have to get a 13
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 12:51 AM
Never mind. Good for you Jeremy!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 12:21 PM
Pretty nice gesture.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 01:02 PM
This gesture is totally consistent with the dealings I have had with mel5141. He is a complete and gracious Southern gentleman who finds great satisfaction in helping others. What he says is as good as gold.

SRH
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 05:18 PM
Excellent!
Posted By: 1cdog Re: Upland Boots - 02/05/18 10:13 PM
I owned the same boots once upon a time. I gave mine away too.

Russell would not give me my money back and I felt they sucked so bad I could not in good conscience take any money from anyone.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Upland Boots - 02/06/18 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: 1cdog
I owned the same boots once upon a time. I gave mine away too.

Russell would not give me my money back and I felt they sucked so bad I could not in good conscience take any money from anyone.

Me too! Same experience.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Upland Boots - 02/06/18 06:51 PM
I really like Russell Moccasin boots, but they don’t hold up well to all the stickers in West Texas and it’s ridiculous one has to wait 6 months for a $500 pair of hunting boots. I’ve gone to Red Wing boots which are only $200 and hold up against the stickers and caliche much better.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Upland Boots - 02/06/18 07:25 PM
I used to be a 'hard charger' back when I was young and quail were plenty in GA. I'd wear out a pair of rubber bottomed LL Bean boots every year and have them re-done.

Not anymore, I'm after foot comfort and ease. I suspect the complaints in this thread about Russells are expressed by folks who still hunt way harder than I do, in boot unfriendly places.

The Russell boots I've worn have been very comfortable and for my use wear well enough. I wish the OP's boots had been my size...Geo
Posted By: GLS Re: Upland Boots - 02/06/18 08:21 PM
Last spring I went on a quest for a good pair of boots. I settled for a couple of pairs of Russells--one in an Upland and another in a snake boot. Because of differences in my feet, custom boots seem to work best for me. However, a man I know walks 15-18 miles a day running his string of setters for various plantations in the Red Hills of SW Ga. He says the most comfortable boots straight out of the box he's had have been the LLBean boots with the Boa closure system. He wears out two pairs a year as they don't hold up in briars. The Boa system is intriguing as laces can be a pia. In the past, I have double knotted, wrapped the ends and loops together with a bread bag wire tie and duct tape. They don't come untied until I am ready.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Upland Boots - 02/06/18 09:35 PM
You can see where the grass rubs the toe and tops off. And your friend has a wide foot.
Grasses saws right through moc toe seams.
that's why the toe cap, molded sole comes in so handy for him.
I like the exo skelton's that the lightweight boots come with for added support on uneven terrain (hillsides and such)
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Upland Boots - 02/08/18 02:19 PM
bOy you got some wore out nasty looking boots...
Posted By: mel5141 Re: Upland Boots - 02/10/18 02:57 PM
I am wondering if the chap in N.J. got the boots.....?
I will get my secretary to run the tracking info on Monday...
Posted By: Jeremy Pearce Re: Upland Boots - 02/10/18 06:32 PM
Yes, the boots have hit the ground here.

A big thank-you to mel for his generosity.

These Texas boots will soon travel some Eastern coverts.

A great gesture and worthy of this board.

Thanks to all,

JP
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com