doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bushmaster Range Report -- 101 Year Old Triple Lock - 02/05/18 03:13 AM
Shipped October 30, 1916 to Simmons Hardware Co., St. Louis, MO

Taken to the range on February 4, 2018
(101 Years, 3 Months and 5 Days after it shipped)

6 rounds -- single action at 4 yards:

6 rounds -- single action at 14 yards:

Posted By: skeettx Re: Range Report -- 101 Year Old Triple Lock - 02/05/18 03:38 AM
SWEET
Nice smile
44 Special?
455 Webley?
Mike
Originally Posted By: skeettx
SWEET
44 Special?
455 Webley?

.44 Special
A very serious sidearm! Oh, nice shootin', too.

DDA
TLs have amazing double action feel. Put the right ammo in them and they will shoot better than you can hold.
Posted By: 992B Re: Range Report -- 101 Year Old Triple Lock - 02/05/18 06:24 PM
I'm a head over heels in love fan of the 44 Special.

The best 44 Specials ever made were those old Triple Locks, but they probably contributed to the near demise of the 44 Special, as a factory revolver chambered for 44 Special. Elmer Keith fired safely thousands of rounds of his hot 44 Special loads through his Triple Locks, but when Remington was developing what would become the 44 Magnum, Elmer wasn't able to persuade Remington that the old Triple Locks could stand the heavy loads, so the case was lengthened a tenth of an inch, the 44 Magnum was born, and the 44 Special has almost faded away as a factory chambered revolver. Taurus and Charter Arms make a few guns, but only Colt and Ruger still make a heavy 44 Special that are factory chambered for the 44 Special cartridge. Smith and Wesson has made a few 44 Specials in L frame revolvers, but none recently.

http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/GA/1969_01_Elmer_Keith_Favorite_Load.pdf

But if it hadn't been for Remington being afraid of beating up all those beautiful old Triple Locks, the 44 Magnum might have been just a really hot 44 Special loaded with Keith's famous load of 17 grains of 2400 under a Keith bullet weighing about 240 grains, and we'd all be up to our eyeballs in new 44 Specials.

If you haven't owned a really good 44 Special revolver, such as the Ruger Flattop 44 Special, you cannot really understand why a hand loaded 44 Special is the finest all around revolver cartridge ever made. Elmer Keith could handle the recoil and blast of the 44 Magnum, but I can't. A true 44 Special revolver loaded to shoot a 240 Keith SWC at about 1,200 fps is powerful enough to take any game in North America, as accurate as a rifle, and light enough to carry in a belt holster like it's not even there. An even better 44 Special load is Skeeter Skelton's load of 7.5 grains of Unique under a 240 grain Keith bullet at about 975 fps. I can shoot those by the hundreds, with hardly any more recoil than a 38 Special, and power and accuracy to take large deer at long distances.

If you don't own a 44 Special revolver, you want one, but may not know it yet.
All I can see are little boxes with X's in them. But I'm assuming they're good groups. I love the triple locks but don't currently own one. I do have a pre 29 that I've been shooting lately. Since I got my new spec's I've been on a mission to duplicate Elmer's "card trick" with it and my .454 Casull. Putting all the shots inside that "Ace of Spades" has eluded me so far!! LOL

PS The S&W feels pretty tame after about fifty rounds of 300 grain semi stout loads through the Casull!!!
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Range Report -- 101 Year Old Triple Lock - 02/05/18 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Bryan_Pettet

TLs have amazing double action feel. Put the right ammo in them and they will shoot better than you can hold.

My 1917 S&W/Brazilian .45 ACP will shoot more accurate than I can hold. I do realize there are those who can shoot a revolver much better than me. This one of course does't have the Smooth Feel of the TL but is quite accurate never the less.
Posted By: moses Re: Range Report -- 101 Year Old Triple Lock - 02/05/18 09:15 PM
Originally Posted By: 992B
Elmer Keith could handle the recoil and blast of the 44 Magnum, but I can't.

A bit like 3" buck 12 pellets, 12g @ 1450 fps out of 28" barrels on a (Doublegun).
O.M
992B:

I have one of the Lipsey Ruger Bisley .44 Specials (5-1/2 inch) and it's truly a delight to shoot. There are better revolvers than that (the Freedom Arms Model 97 springs immediately to mind), but I cannot imagine finding another that combines price and value at so reasonable a price point.

The Triple-Locks were certainly masterpieces of hand fitting and quality, but probably couldn't be duplicated today for much under $2,000 at the level of fit and finish they display. Freedom Arms notwithstanding, there aren't many people willing to pay that kind of money today for a revolver.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Range Report -- 101 Year Old Triple Lock - 02/06/18 12:03 AM
I have a Uberti replica of the Colt SAA with interchangeable cylinders in 44 Mag & .44-40. It is no problem to either load >44 spl shells n the mag cylinder or load them mag brass down to 44 spl levels. This allows me to load about any level of .44 ammo I might desire. When I acquired it a co-worker had a 2nd generation original Colt SAA, I believe was in .45 Colt. This Uberti was as smooth & seemed of equal quality with the @nd generation Colt. No doubt a pre WWII 1st generation Colt would be better, but this Uberti stacked o extremely well against the 2nd generation Colt.
I read someplace that the .44-40 was used more than any other to put men six feet under in the Old West. Good caliber to own. I always wanted Colt .45 six shot military revolver. It was the most powerful handgun used by US Military 255gr at about 950fps if I recall correctly. Never seem to find good clean one and the few I have examined had issues preventing me from buying them. Old vintage revolvers are nice to own because they haven't improved over the years except in more advanced manufacturing procedures making them cheaper to make. What you read in gun magazines as improved in reality means cheaper to make.
Posted By: keith Re: Range Report -- 101 Year Old Triple Lock - 02/06/18 02:43 PM
Hahaha, now the pathetic tire-kicker and gun counter drooler Jagermeister, who doesn't own even one lousy double shotgun, is fantasizing about a Colt .45 military revolver.

I think we all know how that fairy tale ends...

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com