doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 10:30 PM
Hey all, I've got a bit of a dilemma. Last night my wife and I were watching TV and the for some reason we started talking about Remington's financial woes. She then stated that she always liked pumps and thought that "SxS's and O/U's are dumb and stupid".

With comments like these I don't know if I should stay with my wife of 30 years and mother of my 8 kids or dump her.

So....should we seek counseling or should I just file?

Hand ringer in North Dakota
Posted By: Mark II Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 10:48 PM
Greg, if you can bring her to Medford for the Great Northern re-education camp over Father's Day weekend. Has she suffered any head injuries, fallen on the ice etc. ? Before getting drastic enough for the big D , maybe hospitalization ? I'm sure Col. Brown will be able to help you evaluate if it has gotten too far out of control. MKII :-)
Posted By: SKB Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 10:51 PM
How do you trust her when you sleep?
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 10:56 PM
Buy her a high grade 870 Wingmaster and just go shooting with her. At least she enjoys some kind of shotgun smile
Posted By: skeettx Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 11:01 PM
Buy her a TF it is much more economical than legal action smile

https://www.gunsamerica.com/901380490/Remington-Model-870-F-GRADE-WITH-GOLD-410-FANTASTIC-RAR.htm
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 11:01 PM
As Mark 11 said, plus look after those double guns carefully!
Karl
Posted By: Matt Stolley Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: claycrusher1900
Buy her a high grade 870 Wingmaster and just go shooting with her. At least she enjoys some kind of shotgun smile

+1
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 11:11 PM
Sounds like my kinda gal. Prolly cares more about hitting stuff than about looking good missing.

Hmmm......wonder what she thinks of Winchester 12s and 42s?

Does she have a sister? Prefer unmarried and available, but.....well......
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 11:13 PM
Divorce ..............are you crazy? She likes a cheap gun. Be grateful.

What if she had a thing for Woodwards?

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 11:35 PM
Buy a new safe. Make sure she doesn’t have the combo. Also. 8 kids? You need to figure out which ones you can trust and which ones she has corrupted.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/21/18 11:53 PM
A romantic second honeymoon to Upper Sandusky, Ohio for his and her Model 37’s is in order.

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 12:12 AM
Well, if she said that about O/U's I can see her point but SxS's ? I would suggest seeking counseling prior to making a decision.
Posted By: ed good Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 12:36 AM
every pump gun fan needs at least one remington model 17...it could be a late valentines day surprise...
Posted By: battle Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 01:11 AM
8 kids ? WOW
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 01:12 AM
Keep in mind that after 10 years - and you're at 30 - she's going to get not only half of everything, but permanent alimony.

Which of your doubles are you willing to give up?

They'll have to be sold because she doesn't like them. And the valuation - will it be at the prices you paid, or the prices you told her you paid? (Hint: a good lawyer-accountant team will suss out the actual price you paid, but only credit you with the price you told her you paid.)

Find her a nice, high-end 870 or, as suggested above, a customized Model 37, and make up. And when you take her shooting targets, make sure you miss one more than she does.

Be glad she isn't like the dental tech who worked on me today, whose contempt for her ex's liking hunting and fishing was barely concealed but patent just from the tone of her voice.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 01:14 AM
Originally Posted By: battle
8 kids ? WOW

Long winters in the Dakotas.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: gjw
Hey all, I've got a bit of a dilemma. Last night my wife and I were watching TV and the for some reason we started talking about Remington's financial woes. She then stated that she always liked pumps and thought that "SxS's and O/U's are dumb and stupid".

With comments like these I don't know if I should stay with my wife of 30 years and mother of my 8 kids or dump her.

Hand ringer in North Dakota

You could've told her that all the SxS companies went broke years ago....
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: battle
8 kids ? WOW

He must've at one time shot an auto....
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 01:20 PM
Hang in there, Greg! She had all those kids to raise, but let you take them hunting. And put sxs in their hands.

Suppose maybe she listened to old Joe Biden when he was talking about a good self-defense weapon? (And he didn't really have a bad idea, although pumps are kinda hard to carry concealed.)
Posted By: King Brown Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 02:13 PM
Negotiate. You've a fine woman with the smarts who got you and the kids happily where they are. Her opinion of firearms is no worse or better than those expressed here. No one is running anywhere.
Posted By: craigd Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 02:44 PM
You're in a tough spot. It may seem to be the easy way out to get her a brand new 870, but when she opens the present and looks it over? Well, be prepared to hear all sorts of four letter words that you never thought she knew when she looks it over, and blame you for not thinking of her. Stick with flowers.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: gjw

You do have impressive double gun inventory. I enjoy the pics you provide under favorite game/gun pictures of the year, but lass probably thinks you got too much money tied up in fine guns. When looking at guns like new Auto 5 sweet sixteen, Benelli Montefeltro or Franchi 48Al the reasoning for owning much more expensive doubles can come into questioning.

Posted By: keith Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

You do have impressive double gun inventory. I enjoy the pics you provide under favorite game/gun pictures of the year, but lass probably thinks you got too much money tied up in fine guns. When looking at guns like new Auto 5 sweet sixteen, Benelli Montefeltro or Franchi 48Al the reasoning for owning much more expensive doubles can come into questioning.

Do you own any of those guns you mentioned Jagermeister?

I didn't think so. And we know you don't own any double shotguns... cheap, expensive, or otherwise. One day, when you are lying on your death bed, I'm sure you'll be glad you didn't waste any money on actually buying and using a double shotgun, and just went through life as a pathetic internet pretender.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 03:27 PM
Greg, Remember your wife and others are entitled to their opinions REGARDLESS HOW WRONG THEY ARE!!!!! LOL

WBLDon
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 04:21 PM
With 8 kiddos you're lucky she hasn't R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsAZ0RweVxk
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 04:51 PM
Greg, best laugh I have had all morning! My wife, of 38 yrs, is not fond of shotguns. She is one Annie Oakley of a pistol shot however! Counseling, IMO, would only be needed IF she asked you to divest yourself of all but what she likes. With all that Uncle Sam put you both through (thank you for your service) this is a slight bump in the road. Worthy of a good dinner out to celebrate the great partner you have been blessed with.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 05:10 PM
You’re not going to fool a smart woman like that with flowers and dinner.

Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 05:39 PM
Lonesome, I was not intimating that he bribe his wife. But telling his spouse thank you for all she has done for him and appreciating what she has contributed to 30 yrs. of rounding the sharp edges of his personality....without changing who he really is inside.

I forget who said it..."behind every great man is a great woman"...I have seen the results of that with my 3 daughters and their husbands who have flourished. One is a Captain in the USAF AND an ordained Episcopal Priest. I have watched him grow greatly in 19 years.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 05:43 PM
I have a feeling this has nothing to do with guns, doubles or otherwise.

Greg messed up somehow and he's trying to figure out what he did.

Greg just wait ten years or so, she'll finally tell you what you did wrong. smile
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 06:22 PM
Wait for nothing. Leave post haste for Ohio and order her a gun. Nothing says I love you like a brand new Model 37 28 gauge and a calzone from Don Tommaso’s.

www.dontomassospizza.com

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 06:48 PM
Don’t forget the movie neither or you’ll be a man of constant sorrow. I suggest The Big Lebowski.

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 09:50 PM
The Big Lebowski is a dumb movie that only a Washington Caps fan would suggest.

I would go with The Road Warrior because that way she can see with her own eyes the devastating effects of a double gun!!
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 10:17 PM
Wings fan, treb.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958

I would go with The Road Warrior because that way she can see with her own eyes the devastating effects of a double gun!!

For a real man's movie, that she would enjoy too, watch "Valdez Is Coming", starring Burt Lancaster. There's some nice work with a Sharps rifle in it, too.

SRH
Posted By: gjw Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 10:45 PM
Hi all, thanks so much for all the great advise and support. I have decided to keep her, but she will be going to a "re-education"
camp to "cure" her of her "disease". It's very intense and will alter her "outlook" so that not only will she love doubles, but will detest those "other" shotguns. Plus, she'll even do the laundry and dishes!

On the serious side, some real good come backs and funny comments! Love them!

Best,

Greg
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/22/18 10:49 PM
GJW, I can help. If you have post 1964 16ga Darne in field to mid-grade (no rubber recoil pad) in original configuration I will buy it from you at favorable price for you. Normal field wear ok. This will go a long way to make lass happy with you.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 12:05 AM
Stan that is a great movie!!
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 12:07 AM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Wings fan, treb.

So you were just pulling my chain with the Caps stuff.

I get it.

I like the Red Wings myself. If the Pens don't win then its the Red wings.

Montreal is, of course, revered.
Posted By: tunes Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 12:54 AM
Greg,
I think I can help you out.
I have a dandy Ithaca Model 37 16ga that I'd take a beating on and offer it in trade to you for one of your English doubles that wifey doesn't care for.
Posted By: gold40 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 02:17 AM

My sweet wife can't tell a rifle from a shotgun -- and could care less.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 02:59 AM
Thank goodness my wife's guns are SxS (well, except for the revolvers) so I reckon we can stay together for the duration.

The only issue is that she took her Grulla out shooting with another lady today and left me home to work.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 10:27 AM
Originally Posted By: gold40

That's how God intended....
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 02:48 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: gold40

That's how God intended....

Gonna need Chapter and Verse on that, jOe.

Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 04:15 PM

Greg just wait ten years or so, she'll finally tell you what you did wrong. smile

There's a wife out there that waits ten years to tell you you're wrong? Does she have a sister?
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: wingshooter16

There's a wife out there that waits ten years to tell you you're wrong? Does she have a sister?

That's a good one!! grin
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

For a real man's movie, that she would enjoy too, watch "Valdez Is Coming", starring Burt Lancaster. There's some nice work with a Sharps rifle in it, too.

SRH

Some nice work with a .45.

https://youtu.be/YedqV4Gl_us

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 05:53 PM
That's a stupid scene only a Wings fan would like that scene.

Here is a great scene. A devastating double barrel!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4LUt0qcX8
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 06:31 PM

Meh. Not impressed. Typical morning commute on the Chrysler into the city.

Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 07:52 PM
LR,
Actually, more typical of the I-94.
Karl
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
LR,
Actually, more typical of the I-94.
Karl

Agreed. Just thought Chrysler was more poetic. And treb wouldn’t know anyway.

Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 08:12 PM
He would have to expierence it to believe it!
Karl
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 09:55 PM
I live 100 miles from Pittsburgh and 100 miles from Cleveland on a old dirt road. No city driving for me.

You have to admit The Road Warrior is a great movie.
Posted By: Cary Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 11:12 PM
I once found myself in the exact same situation. After weighing the various options I bought her a very nice double which she seemed to enjoy looking at and I thought the crisis had been avoided, Then one night, while admiring her gun, she asked why I had bought a 16ga, which she knew was obsoleted by the 3" 20ga. Realizing she was beyond redemption, I slept with her sister and have never missed her. Further, the children,avid shot gunners all, have removed her pictures from the house and are suing to have her barred from burial in the family plot. Some things are just more than can be tolerated.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/23/18 11:46 PM
Road Warrior reminds me that, when confronted with bad people, don't get involved with a long chase, just shoot to kill on first contact. The bowling alley scene makes a lot more sense.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/24/18 01:15 AM

Child's fantasy. tired

Men's business .................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIXzzhpx8n4

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/24/18 01:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Cary
I once found myself in the exact same situation. After weighing the various options I bought her a very nice double which she seemed to enjoy looking at and I thought the crisis had been avoided, Then one night, while admiring her gun, she asked why I had bought a 16ga, which she knew was obsoleted by the 3" 20ga. Realizing she was beyond redemption, I slept with her sister and have never missed her. Further, the children,avid shot gunners all, have removed her pictures from the house and are suing to have her barred from burial in the family plot. Some things are just more than can be tolerated.

Great post, Cary.

Well done.

SRH
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/24/18 02:43 AM
Not a chance,

Here you go. Starting at 3:43, Parker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YKFVGPUskg

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/24/18 09:34 PM
Another scene. This one from UTU,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyNqO6LAvQ

Poorly directed the movie was to loose and wandered all over the place. A better director would have tightened it up. Hopefully a remake is being planned.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/24/18 09:58 PM
More fantasy. Gun scenes in movies that lack realism hold no interest for me.

One of the most realistic western shootouts ever filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_uvEuNwUj4

SRH
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/24/18 10:55 PM
That is good.

This is better though,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3mHhpGV2A
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/24/18 11:46 PM
Better? Not a chance. Didn't even have a double in the place. The barkeep should have had one at least.

Try again.

SRH
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/25/18 12:39 AM
Better? Not a chance. Didn't even have a double in the place. The barkeep should have had one at least.

Try again.

SRH

At least French barkeeps have enough sense not to use a Darne.

https://youtu.be/9-Bqycjw_tw

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Grounds For Divorce? - 02/25/18 04:56 AM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads

Try again.

SRH

At least French barkeeps have enough sense not to use a Darne.

https://youtu.be/9-Bqycjw_tw

Helicopter pilots in Viet Nam often had a cut down Darne on their person. There is one in the NRA museum.

Irish bars were all the rage in Lyon and St. Etienne when I was there. The barkeep was usually an Irish girl. An Irish girl who was a knockout and could speak French.