doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tyler Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 01:28 PM
Does anyone know how to contact him? Hope it is not too late. Never made it to meet Harry Middleton, Billy Perdue or Bob Briester. Would hate not to meet Valdine. If anyone is in contact with him, please let me know and I will PM you a message for him.
Thanks
Posted By: ed good Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 03:45 PM
who dat?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 03:49 PM
"For A Handful Of Feathers" ed. I think he still owns a small plantation in the red hills north of Tallahassee, FL...Geo

<https://www.cltampa.com/home/article/20745153/count-of-the-sunshine-state>
Posted By: ed good Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 06:24 PM
o yeah, the spanish guy...read the book...ok, but ah bit deep an wordy...ah fergus he aint...
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 06:33 PM
French, actually.
Posted By: Jack K Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 07:03 PM
Also wrote "Making Game: An Essay on Woodcock".
Damned good writer!

Jack K
Posted By: Alder adder Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Jack K
Also wrote "Making Game: An Essay on Woodcock".
Damned good writer!

Jack K
. Yes, very good writer and friend of the late, Jim Harrison.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 10:05 PM
He was in my workshop several years ago. Quite an interesting fellow and very much into fine guns. He had a small gauge hammer double to show me.
Posted By: GLS Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/02/18 10:24 PM
For birdhunters, his Fragrance of Grass is a wonderful read. His latest book is On The Water. Gil
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/04/18 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Tyler
Does anyone know how to contact him? Hope it is not too late. Never made it to meet Harry Middleton, Billy Perdue or Bob Briester. Would hate not to meet Valdine. If anyone is in contact with him, please let me know and I will PM you a message for him.
Thanks

The way to contact published writers is to send a letter c/o their publisher. Try that. And it is de la Valdene.
Posted By: ed good Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/04/18 02:12 AM
anybody else here read fergus and fergus?
Posted By: pmag Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/04/18 04:14 PM
Yes.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/04/18 08:21 PM
It's Valdene ...........with an "e".

SRH
Posted By: eightbore Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/04/18 10:37 PM
Bob Brister would be my first choice to meet. I would have liked to have shot with Billy Perdue.
Posted By: GaryW Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/04/18 10:59 PM
I had the honor and pleasure of shooting with Bob (Uncle Robert) Brister many times and have all of his autographed books. A great shooter and competitor, Bob knew more about shotguns and shooting them than anyone. One of his early partners-in-crime in hunting and shooting money pigeons is still actively shooting around Amarillo Gun Club; Gus is the "Gus Price" in the Moss, Mallards, & Mules story of "A Small Wager Among Gentlemen". I still miss Bob's wit and wisdom.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/05/18 01:16 AM
Moss, Mallards and Mules is one of my favorite books of all time. I just connect with his writings. You are fortunate to have known and shot with him, Gary. I remember that particular story as one of the best.

I also really enjoyed the one about the old guy who badmouthed plastic worms for bass, but got caught red-handed using them on limb lines by the young guy. AIR, that one was called "A Matter of Rationale", but I could be mistaken.

SRH
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/07/18 01:59 AM
For a Handful of Feathers
"For me, the life and death of a dog is a calendar of time passing."

Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/07/18 03:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Tyler
Never made it to meet Harry Middleton, Billy Perdue or Bob Briester.

Wow, Harry Middleton - what a writer - what a sensitive guy - plumbing the depths of his own troubled soul through his storytelling.... who knew?

"Starlight Creek Angling Society" tied it alltogether - all of his earlier books culminated in this one final work. We were left wondering "What now?".... and then we learned.

How are his kids doing?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/07/18 11:36 AM
Drew,
I think it was Bodio who had a very similar line, something like my dogs are the calenders of my life.
The paragraph that contains the sentence you posted is wonderful, save the strange dreams about his dogs passing.
"For a Handful of Feathers" was a great read. Few of my friends cared for it, but, few of them own dogs.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: GLS Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/07/18 11:55 AM
Ted, The Fragrance of Grass is even better. The title is derived from a line in one of Jim Harrison's poems: "between the four pads of a dog's foot, the fragrance of grass". He writes of bird hunts in Florida, Saskatchewan, Montana and France from the time he was a child living in a Normandy castle to the present. He participates in driven hunts, bird hunts and befriends poachers who trap estates in France at night. It is a fascinating read.
I have a special place for my favorite books. I have 4 books by Guy in this spot. I don't have his novel Red Stag.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Guy de la Valdine - 03/07/18 09:42 PM
I ordered Fragrance of Grass last week after reading of it on this site. I bought Red Stag a few months ago but have not read it. Too many books to read, too many waters to fish, and just can't seem to make the time. This is exactly why I never started Turkey hunting!!!
Back to origional post, ANYONE know how I might get in touch with him?
Posted By: birddogdoc Re: Guy de la Valdine - 05/24/18 08:21 PM
He's friends with Jim Fergus if that helps?!?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Guy de la Valdine - 05/25/18 11:21 AM
Have you tried going through his publisher?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com