doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rtw William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 03:18 AM
With purchasing advice and inspection assistance from Del Whitman, I recently purchased a Wm. Evans Boxlock-a restocked and re-blackened 1934 vintage. Its a 16 ga with 2 1/2" chambers. Weight is 6 lbs, 4oz-balanced on the hinge pin.

Should make for a great upland bird gun.

Photos can be found here. https://imgur.com/a/olGwc

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 04:10 AM
Good score!! Beautiful gun.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 11:13 AM
Lovely gun! How long are the barrels?
Posted By: rtw Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 11:56 AM
28"
Posted By: L. Brown Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 11:57 AM
Del's a good guy to rely on. Sounds heavier than a lot of Brit 16's. But depending on its intended use, that could be a plus.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 12:18 PM
Whoever restocked it knew what they were doing.
Posted By: rtw Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 12:22 PM
The stocks LOP is 15+ inches and has well done lightening holes with plugs underneath the checkered butt.

28" barrels with minimum thickness of .03+ and a 15+ LOP adds a few more ounces than the lighter !6 gauges I have looked at. It's a couple of ounces more than I had hoped to find. The stock is a smidgeon longer than I need, but I don't plan to touch it just to save an ounce or two.

I like the shotgun's simple, understated appearance.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 12:25 PM
Nice looking gun. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Posted By: Jeremy Pearce Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 02:03 PM
Beautiful gun...hope you enjoy it afield.

Private sale or did you find it through a vendor?
Posted By: Ian Nixon Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 02:07 PM
16GA, 28" barrels, re-stocked with 15" LOP, English hand, double triggers, Webley & Scott treble screw grip, Anson forearm release, bit over 6 LBs DEFINES a mighty fine game gun.
VERY attractive and interesting piece in a VERY attractive gauge IMHO.
It emotes ... USE ME.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 02:36 PM
Looks to have a LOT of right hand cast. Very nice gun, love the beautiful carved fences. How is it choked?
JR
Posted By: Little Creek Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 03:52 PM
Who made the gun for Wm Evans?
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 04:09 PM
William Evans (From Purdey) built his own guns.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958

This gun is obviously a W & S screw grip. More than likely...it arrived at Evans shop from the W&S factory, already finished and ready for the customer.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 07:25 PM
Sounds like a nice game gun. I have a Harkom 16 that has 27" barrels and weighs about 5# 8 ozs. Makes a fine 'carry all day' gun.

Many Brit boxlocks have some sort of third fastener, which I am not wild about, as I don't believe they add any real strength when the gun has Purdey type double under lugs, and sometimes get in the way while loading.

Post a picture?
Posted By: Chukarman Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958

If he did, he didn't make many. All that I have seen (including the guns in their London shop) were made in Birmingham - even the sidelocks.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 08:51 PM
Correct me if you have more information but I've understood Evans was not a gunmaker but a retailer who solicited orders, coordinated construction, and was in charge of quality control. Wasn't Evans' connection with Purdey thought to be as a bookkeeper?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 09:35 PM
Previous posts (trw999) indicate Birmingham as a source of "white guns" and in particular Webley Scott for William Evans. I don't think they had their own factory..

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=461982

This line was about my wife's 1902 William Evans 20 bore. William Evans in their letter about it's background, explained that the guns were numbered when the order was "sent to the factory." They would not answer the question, "where was the factory?" However, It took almost three years to fulfill an order at that time,.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=475388&page=4
Posted By: rtw Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/11/18 10:09 PM
KIrby Hoyt was the source. He sent me the photos. http://www.vintagedoubles.com

It was one of over 40 that I looked at from every source I could find. This one had the best stock dimensions and rang my bell with it's simplicity.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/12/18 12:07 AM
I also have a William Evan (of Purdy - such ego!). Mine is also a 16x2.5" but mine is much older and a hammer gun with 32" barrels.

Yours is truly elegant. It's a heck of a beautiful shotgun for sure.
Posted By: rtw Re: William Evans Boxlock - 03/12/18 01:34 PM
Yeah,

I understand that Wm. Evans really served as a Project Manager, if you will. Having said that they are noted for "producing" very well made quality guns. This gun has swamped ribs and bushed firing pins-if I have that nomenclature correct, for example.

I also understand that a number of London firms have contracted out work from time to time. A friend who toured the Piotti factory in Italy a number of years ago reported that he saw actions that were made for H&H and Purdey. Contracting for engraving was and still is a common occurrence. If a maker has certain components outsourced it's fine with me. What's important is that the finished gun be consistent with the maker's brand promise and the buyers expectation for that brand promise. A "Best" gun should be a Best gun.

This gun is choked .010 and .021.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com