doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: King Brown Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 03:24 PM
I'm workshopping a screen manuscript next month about a military surgeon serving in Iraq who returns home on leave ond does something that makes her within six months the most respected and admired woman in America---and president.

I've got race, immigration, Iraq, environment et al covered but don't know if she could be a candidate next November if she were drafted now, summer 2007. or if I have to back-date before the mid-terms. She's a Republican.

Could she be drafted now, please? She's pro-gun, Muskeylew, from a distinguished Maine family. Her name is Gloria Hopkins Wolfe.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 05:24 PM
We don't have a draft, King. Might be good to have one fact in your fantasy.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 05:41 PM
I'd be far more concerned with whether or not she has Paris Hilton's endorsement. That, and I'd make sure Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman is not currently in syndication.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 05:47 PM
Jim, what I mean, is it conceivable without primaries? And remember Nixon with China. Who can separate fact and fantasy with politics anyway.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 06:08 PM
We not only lack a draft, and they would not draft folks over 35 anyway. Meanwhile a person cannot be under 35 and be president. Sounds like a strange and implausible tale to me.

Brent
Posted By: King Brown Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 06:42 PM
Gloria is a mature woman, Brent, in her 40s. Ever see anything that isn't strange and implausible on the screen? Last night I watched the president (Michael Douglas) bonking a climate-change lobbyist (Warren Beatty's wife)---and that epidode must have been made 5-10 years ago. They call it entertainment.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 07:27 PM
Do we really need more of that sort of bilge?

I guess everyone's out to make a fast buck....so who cares if it is grounded in reality or does anything to further our culture?

Make sure Gloria is stalked by a white killer in fantastic physical condition who is a master of disguises and a whiz with electronics. He preferably will have been trained by the CIA and able to snap a security guard's neck with two fingers. Most of all, include plenty of anti-gun rhetoric and make sure he carries a "sawed off automatic revolver normally issue only to the Israeli Army."

Let me know when the movie is ready to come out....I want to sell some 'Honk if you slept with Gloria' bumper stickers.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 07:29 PM
King
Make her a National Guard reservist or something where she is called up for duty. That's a very realistic scenario that even Brent can accept.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 07:30 PM
You mean a political draft, not a military draft, eh? The movie you refer to sounds like a normal Democrat president, including Hitlery.
Posted By: jack maloney Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 07:39 PM
Why not make her a Canadian PM? Plausibility wouldn't be an issue, then, because no one would notice.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 10:56 PM
America doesn't draft women either, go to any post office for the selective service brochure and it mater-of-factly says in big bold letters "MEN ONLY"!!!
All the best
Posted By: King Brown Re: Really OT---next president - 06/04/07 10:57 PM
Jim, Gloria creams Hilary. jack, we never workshop our best ideas. Only thing noticed about our current PM is his running interference for Mr. Bush; he's trying to bridge Europe and US this week G8 on climate change---and we've got nothing to brag about.
Posted By: Pete Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 01:28 AM
Current military cannot run for office, Brownie. She'll hafta quit. Primaries aren't until next year. You'll have to accept leading in the polls.
Posted By: postoak Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 01:36 AM
I believe King is using the term as in - to draft a candidate - not as in - Greetings from the President of the United States.

King the US Fed Gov, is a construct of the various Soverign States, each of which have their own pecuilar rules and laws concerning who may appear on the Presidential Ballot.

The Dems and Pubs run sort of a two card Monte, to control who may appear on the ballot. You could research the tribulations of Ross Perot, Patrick Buchannon, Libertarian Party etc, to get a understanding for how the law and rules in each State vary.

Oh and could you include the Re-Establishment of the Republic of Texas as a sub-plot ?
Posted By: Brian Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 02:30 AM
We can bash canada, but their soldiers are first rate. The worlds record documented sniper kill was made by a sniper from the Princess Pats Regt. in Afghnaistan. It was over 2400M if I remember.

I actually ran into an opportuntiy to shut up one of our northern brothers, or I should say "sisters. I was in a hotel waiting to check in and she was ranting with the clerk about Bush and the war. I had only gotten back form Afghanistan a short while before and was not i the mood for anyone, much less a foreigner from bashing my Commander in Chief (right or wrong about the war) She was the typical liberal city Canadian, repleat with Birkenstocks, tied died hemp shirt, unshaved legs, granny glasses, bag of granola in her handbag made of unbleached cotton; you get the picture. Well, anyway, she is blathering on about the terrible war, war isnt the answer to anything.Bush bad, Canada good etc etc. I stood by and finally interjected and told both of them that I had just spent a year deployed and while I respect their right to free speech, they should respect myine and I proceeded to tell them that what they know isnt reality etc. and then asked the Canadian broad if she knew how great and skilled her Canadian soldiers were. She mumbled soemthing in feigned support and then I asked her how she felt having the worlds record for killing a man a long range being accomplished and held by a fellow peace loving Canadian, eh? She was speechless. She was in denial that a fellow Canadian would ever do such a thing. It was a priceless moment where I got to turn, just for a moment the tables on some anti war rant.
But I digress.

The longest-ever confirmed sniper kill was made by Master Cpl. Arron Perry of the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan during combat in 2003. Using a .50-caliber MacMillan TAC-50 rifle, Perry shot and killed an Afghan soldier from a distance of 2,430 metres.

The record was set during Operation Anaconda when a Canadian three-man sniper team from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, (PPCLI), set the new record with a shot on a Taliban fighter
Posted By: postoak Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 02:44 AM
Some of the Best Folks I have ever met were from Alberta Canada, most near as nice as folks from West Texas.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 03:04 AM
People in Hamilton, Ont. are alright in my book.

jack
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 03:15 AM
Nokomis, Sask. folks are A-OK in my experience...Geo
Posted By: King Brown Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 03:22 AM
Brian, a member of this board mentored and debriefed American and Canadian snipers, including the Princess Pats. training together in the United States. He told me in a private message that what he liked about the "Canadian kids" is that they never gave him any bs aboput hits and misses. Canada comprises 10 per cent of the ISAF force and has had 25 per cent of its casualties.

Pete, yes, she comes home and resigns as a result of her celebrity and backroom Pentagon and White House manoeuvering led by a one-star black general political wizard. Postoak, I guess I'll have to get Gloria positioned for next year's primaries. I've read Ted White's Making of the President 1964, a splendid account of the "Duel to the Death" primaries between Rockefeller and Goldwater. .

I was with JFK when he broke through in Wisconsin in 1960. Thanks to all of you.
Posted By: Deltaboy Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 03:26 AM
I thought so!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Really OT---next president - 06/05/07 04:20 PM
The scenario leaves me cold. Why would a women with the character to become a military surgeon and act privately to deserve national respect compromise herself by running for President in the current climate? Pending malpractice suit? Conjures thoughts and shivers via Howard Dean. Perhaps a plot of a less than suitable candidate, motivated to courage, by her example? More inspiring if not more believable? Maybe not?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com