doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Rocketman Maybe a bargain at auction - 04/24/18 03:40 AM
Gavin Gardiner's last auction Lot #169 sold for 3,000BPS which looks to me to be a bargain. Martin is a Brand Value level three (BV3) maker's name. The Original Quality grade looks to be about "A" grade which is OQ2 (close to a best work gun). Current Condition level looks to fit, "Limited use - slight finish wear, little shooting."

BV3-OQ2-CC2 = $9,771

Hammer price of 3,000 BPS = $4,200. Buyer's premium of 30% brings it to $5,460. So, delivered in US might come to $6,000.

This may well be a bonified bargain.

DDA
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Maybe a bargain at auction - 04/24/18 11:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Rocketman

DDA, that would be bonafide/bona-fide. I don't know that Dig the English professor would let you get away with that.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Maybe a bargain at auction - 04/24/18 03:15 PM
It's interesting the gun sold at the low estimate. Nice looking gun in what appears great condition. Did the gun not bring more because it is not stocked to the fences or the 21/22 MWT with bores ar 738/735?

Ken
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Maybe a bargain at auction - 04/24/18 03:58 PM
Quite possibly it sold for that price because of that "BV3". Probably not that many potential buyers recognized the name Martin, never mind the quality of the gun itself.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Maybe a bargain at auction - 04/25/18 03:32 AM
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Originally Posted By: Rocketman

DDA, that would be bonafide/bona-fide. I don't know that Dig the English professor would let you get away with that.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
You are right!! Dig takes no priznurs. I can only beg for murzy.

DDA
Posted By: old colonel Re: Maybe a bargain at auction - 04/25/18 11:58 AM
The Martin Guns that seem to draw the most attention at auction seem to be the ones with their distinctive Celtic engraving. At least that is true for me.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Maybe a bargain at auction - 04/26/18 10:51 PM
Ken, do you think the CC was lower than my estimate?

"A" grade guns are frequently flatback actions. Many best work guns were made on flatback actions during the 1880's - 1890's. I think OQ2 is right.

For anyone alarmed about BWT, this gun might have been a prime candidate for sleeving.

DDA
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Maybe a bargain at auction - 04/27/18 01:05 AM
DDA,

If we assume the gun was proofed at .729, then the barrels had some issues either from poor cleaning or ...

The case coloring looks very good with limited handling. I wouldn't sleeve the gun at this point.

Here are a few comparisons albeit with limited information.

AM1

AM2

Ken
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com