doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/26/18 03:20 PM
I saw this Lefaucheux actioned double with hare's ear hammers on Simpsons yesterday. They claim it has no definitive makers marks or proofs other than two "crowns". I know Husqvarna used crown marks as a proof on their shotguns. But it looks to me to be a Germanic gun given the extensive use of horn and possibly even something from Joh. Springer? I'm just speculating, but either way its a lovely gun. Perhaps someone from this forum purchased it and can provide pictures and more information to solve the mystery...

https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/z38143
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/26/18 05:09 PM
Looks like a nice high grade double. Bobby
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/26/18 06:39 PM
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100716054

I don't know much about European guns but this one has similarities. There's a mannlicher drilling in a local gunshop with very similar shaped horn behind the trigger guard too. Not sure if that helps though sorry.
Posted By: ed good Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/26/18 07:08 PM
crown proofs suggests sweden...odd that it is a no name...which suggests austria, perhaps...
Posted By: moses Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/26/18 10:44 PM
$425.00 ! Lotta gun for 425.
O.M
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/26/18 10:49 PM
Surely the hammer-phile who bought it is a member here?

Then again it could be one of the resellers who buy from Simpsons and then sell on Gunbroker for a profit...
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 01:37 AM
I saw it before it sold but couldn't decide if I thought it was legit. The barrel bluing looks quite modern in the photos. The coin finish and engraving looked too crisp and fresh. The wood looked perfect. The fact that it had 2-3/4/ inch chambers seemed odd, too. A complete refresh? Possible? But could it also be some sort of reproduction of modern creation? I guess I just wasn't feeling lucky.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 02:04 AM
I think it is a contemporary gun built in a very early style. Strange would be an understatement.
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
I think it is a contemporary gun built in a very early style. Strange would be an understatement.

Yep. Looks like a reproduction of the gun Nick C linked to above.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 05:55 PM
I think it is an old gun, rebuilt and re-chambered by someone good. I saw it too and decided not to buy it, because of that( and it wasn't 16 ga.).
Mike
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 07:21 PM
You can’t own or rescue them all. I like the 615 on the same site but that beavertail fore end would have to get a major reshaping. Function is important but looking that fat just for function does not appeal to me. A very thin Semi Beavertaul if you must or a splinter of you can. A 4X4 not so much.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 09:32 PM
I'd be interested to know who is making Lefaucheux double reproductions? Not because I really want one so much as I can't really see there being a market for them?
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 09:33 PM
Also, those hare's ear hammers are a thing of beauty... maybe I said that already...
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 11:23 PM
fallschirmjaeger,
The gun is marked "Sold", but is still on Simpson's site. Go back to the site and look at the bottom view again. While they have been cleaned up as much as possible, the screwheads show previous damage and not all are "turned up". These are signs of and older gun that has been refinished, not a reproduction. Also engraving is old style, it could be reproduced, but I don't think it would be( even on a reproduction.
Mike
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/27/18 11:36 PM
Mike,

That's my point. I don't really see how it could be a repro. Someone did an impeccable refinish...
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/28/18 01:26 PM
fallschirmjaeger,
I misunderstood your comment then, "Thousand Pardons".
Mike
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/28/18 07:09 PM
Sorry Mike, I didn't mean that to sound brash...
Posted By: Genelang Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/28/18 07:38 PM
I bought a couple of Husqvarnas that weren't high grade but utilitarian. Got them from Simpsons and they were pre-98 guns. Pretty cheap, actually.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 04/28/18 11:34 PM
fallschirmjaeger,
I didn't take it as brashness.
Mike
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 06/29/18 12:30 AM
And it reemerges...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/777739012
Posted By: ed good Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 06/29/18 12:58 AM
clay usually has nice guns...and his photo locations are wonderful...
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Very Nice Hammer Gun - 06/29/18 01:04 AM
I've closely examined some blurry images & it is either a tubeset w/ Birmingham preliminary or a tubeset that was sourced from Husqvarna? Anyway, I'd say it is quality piece on a Lefaucheux platform from a time when the Germans were trying to determine their identity.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com