doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Owenjj3 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 03:07 AM
I have a nice older gun with an original stock and beautifully inlet steel butt plate. I need 1" of additional LOP and do not desire to disturb the butt end with a permanent leather covered pad. Therefore, I seek a lace-up or, preferably, Velcro closure type leather slip-on type pad. I have a 1/2" model already, but it is insufficient. Any ideas or a referral to a custom purveyor?
Posted By: skeettx Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 03:56 AM
http://www.kick-killer-recoil-pads.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-handmade-leather-shooting-accessories/dp/B016ABN7VQ

https://www.buffaloarms.com/shooting-sup...ce-up-butt-pads

And often the internal padding can be added to, so can you add to your existing pad?

Mike
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 04:24 AM

Hi, a very nice leather one can be found on Ebay for about $17.00 or less. (make an offer) Search Tourbon recoil pad. They make both a medium and large size. You will not find a better quality at any price. No Velcro connection to catch on your clothes during the mount. They come with several internal removable pads so you can adjust the LOP. Yeah, I know, made in China, but very nice quality.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 04:24 AM
Accu-riser leatherman buckle on pad with shims. Measure the height on the butt before ordering
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 10:37 AM
It may not be a concern for you, Owen, but as a heavy user of leather pads, for the same reason as you, I have never been able to wear out, or even damage a KickKiller pad. They're very well made. I have a box full of them, and have them dedicated to certain guns. FWIW, I have worn out another brand, to frazzles. It was a Brauer, AIR. I know the lace-ons are a bit slower to put on and take off (and I don't leave them on) but to me they look better on a 100 year old gun than velcro.

Best, SRH
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 12:27 PM
Gentlemen, Thank you for the suggestions. I am on a quest for a model offering a 1" extension. There are many options in the 1/2" category, but in this instance, I am seeking a full 1" extension slip-on. tourbon, kickkiller, and Galco do not seem to offer the desired length.
Posted By: builder Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 01:15 PM
Possibly you missed it but you can add a half inch foam piece that you cut yourself into these slip on pads and get whatever LOP you need.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
Gentlemen, Thank you for the suggestions. I am on a quest for a model offering a 1" extension. There are many options in the 1/2" category, but in this instance, I am seeking a full 1" extension slip-on. tourbon, kickkiller, and Galco do not seem to offer the desired length.

KickKillers have an Akton pad cemented inside. You can buy the Akton in sheets and cut your own, and add another 1/2" or so. I do not think you will find a ready made leather recoil pad that offers a 1" increased pull. Maybe someone will make you a bespoke pad............... but it will be made exactly like you will get if you add the additional thickness yourself.

SRH
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/30/18 11:49 PM
OK, thanks. I am not particularly handy and was hoping for a 1" retail purchase solution, but it appears that none exists. The only answer appears to be making a cobbled-together pad. In looking at my candidates for internal pad extension, one problem is that the leather taper begins immediately after the 1/2" pad ends, making a second 1/2" addition of shock-absorbing material awkward. Any ideas for a custom leather pad-smith?

Posted By: skeettx Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/31/18 12:08 AM
Call KickKillers and see what they offer to help your situation

954 Sweeney Drive
Hagerstown, MD 21740, USA

Phone:

Fax:

Customer Support
Mon-Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm EST
service@actionproducts.com
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/31/18 01:04 AM
A full one inch extension is going to be a problem with any type of leather pad, IMO. That's asking a lot from a slip-on pad, of any type. I'm not saying it can't be accomplished like mentioned earlier, but it's just not going to be as "solid" as you'd want, I wouldn't think. I can envision problems with it staying in line with the butt, and not moving around as you mount it.

If I were really wanting to increase the LOP by a full inch I would be looking at Silvers pads, or other brands, then possibly a 1/2" leather lace-on on top of that. JMO.

Good luck, SRH
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/31/18 04:47 AM

Owen,

The Tourbon pad adds a full one inch to the LOP.

Buy one, you won’t be sorry. I use a dozen of them on several different 14” stocks. Easy on and off, no Velcro to snag your clothing and no ugly laces.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/31/18 10:45 AM
That's good information. I never saw a Tourbon, but had no idea one could add 1". I stand corrected. I need one for my I. Hollis.

Thanks, SxS 40.

SRH

P.S. Went to a site and looked at them. Are you certain that it increases LOP by a full inch? It is made the same way as a KickKiller, as far as the "cap" on the butt goes. It appears that an inch of increase would put the toe of the stock up into the elastic, by looking at the pics here. Another pic seems to show the same Akton material inside as the KK pad.

https://www.amazon.com/Tourbon-Shotgun-Extension-Genuine-Leather/dp/B00Y9EOPH2

https://www.google.com/search?q=tourbon+leather+recoil+pad&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUk9Dw46_bAhXRqYMKHdiWBNgQsAQIQg&biw=1646&bih=1019#imgrc=Zueg9M5TAysKaM:

The second pic wouldn't link, but maybe you can copy and paste it. It shows a 10 cm scale standing alongside the pad, indicating that 2 1/2 cm, or 1" would be well up into the elastic.

SRH
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/31/18 03:15 PM

I think for an investment of under $20, you should try one. I think my tap measure is somewhat accurate. They do make two sizes, medium and large.

If I wasn’t so computer challenged, I would post a picture.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/31/18 03:50 PM
I'm afraid I am confused now. Under $20...... are you talking about the rubber one or the leather one? They make both.

SRH
Posted By: 2-piper Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 05/31/18 04:07 PM
When I looked on Ebay those under $20.00 were all in China, had to be shipped from there. They were higher if you bought through a US importer, though there were some less than Amazon's price of $40.00.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 01:05 AM

Guys,

Free shipping from China, you have it in about a week. Some of the listings on Ebay have a "make an offer" the cost should be under $20. I have purchased and use several of these. Yes, they are leather. Brown actually, with orange stitching. I think they look better (less obtrusive) than Galazan's or any others I have seen.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 01:08 AM
Thanks. I will likely order a couple. I understand about the shipping from China. I once ordered a cell phone battery on ebay. When it arrived it was in a manila envelope postmarked in China. Total cost was $3.40..........shipping and all. Unbelievable.

SRH
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 01:18 AM
I would order directly from China the world leader of the near future. That is exactly what globalist like me would do. There is no shame for doing it.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 01:26 AM
Where I order from will have nothing to do with your recommendation, I assure you.

Who said anything about shame in ordering from China?................besides you?

SRH
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 02:05 AM
I have the same problem with several guns I want my wife to also be able to shoot - I need 1" additional LOP and the Galco velcro pads I have are 1/2".

Solution - I had several 5/8" closed cell foam backpack sleeping pads from when I was young and could sleep on a brick. I cut a piece to fit inside the Galco pads and they solved my problem - velcro pad with 1" additional LOP.

If you need some let me know - I'll be on vacation next week but can send the 2d week in June.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 02:34 AM
I have looked at some small items on Ebay which were listed for $1.00, with Free Shipping from China (Not Gun Related). To buy these items here in the States would cost me about $10.00 plus tax.

I have been leery about ordering them, it just seems at that price there must be some Catch involved that I am missing. I mean How can anything be shipped for $1.00 & that includes the item purchased.
These pads are bigger, so that would seem to make shipping a good bit higher.
I mean they are selling the item & shipping it for in some cases less than shipping in the US, Even if it just goes 10 miles down the road.

In my case if I send something to someone 10 miles away by USPS it will go about 75 miles to the sorting facility & then be shipped the same 75 miles back to the receiver. Somehow they figure this is cheaper than the way they used to do it & sort it at the home post office & put local mail on the local route.

As far as Shame, I see no difference in buying a product made in China than ordering it direct, I just have not yet opted to do so.
Posted By: rwmckee Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 03:17 AM
Be careful what you get. It's been several years and I don't recall specifics but at one time I had two. One was a lace-on along the toe line, thin dark brown leather, looked cheap, I think came from Brownell's. It was fine. The other had velcro where it wrapped around the toe, was thicker, seemed very good quality and again, by recollection, it came from Galazan but I could be totally wrong. It looked great, seemed very good quality, and it rubbed the finish off the stock after only a few sessions shooting clays.

I can remember exactly what they looked like, just not where they came from.

Roger
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 04:24 AM
Here are photos without the Tourbon pad, (14"LOP) and with the pad installed. (15" LOP). As you can see, they add a full 1". This is with one of three foam inserts removed, so could go to 15.5" LOP. With any kind of slip on pad, you do not leave it installed while the gun is not in use, or it will affect the finish. I have used these Tourbon pads for over 2 years and they are as good as new. At this price, replace it every few years if needed. Toe to heel measurement on this gun is 5 1/8 in. and the size large pad fits perfectly.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 10:15 AM
Thank you for taking the trouble to post those pics. That pad is indeed unique.

Leaving a pad on the gun can also change the color/finish of the wood. It has something to do with the pad blocking light rays I guess. I learned that the hard way many years ago.

Best, SRH
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 11:18 AM
Nice looking pad!
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 12:54 PM
OK! That’s the product I was seeking. I do not mind purchasing from China, particularly if they offer a unique product that solves my LOP problem. Thanks for all the good advice.
Posted By: Birdog Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 04:06 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71IuK9DRK3L._SL1500_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71RK3-fRn1L._SL1500_.jpg
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/01/18 05:47 PM
I'd choose this one over the style showing elastic:
https://www.amazon.com/TOURBON-Genuine-L...ather+buttstock
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/02/18 04:39 AM

Wild Skies,

The problem with that style, is the closure catches on your clothing during the gun mount.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/02/18 10:12 AM
Originally Posted By: SXS 40

Wild Skies,

The problem with that style, is the closure catches on your clothing during the gun mount.

I've got four different pads of this style in differing sizes -- Galco, Gamekeeper and Tourbon. I have used them for nearly two decades now and I've never experienced any of them, even one time, catching on my clothing during a gun mount. I suppose a left handed shooter could make it happen, but for a right handed shooter it just doesn't happen.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/02/18 01:31 PM
Wild Skies, in your opinion which of your pads adds the most to the LOP?

I have an Orvis slip on pad that extends my LOP about 3/4 of an inch.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: 1" slip-on leather recoil pad - 06/02/18 01:41 PM
Not opinion, but fact -- each one adds 5/8" to LOP. However, each one can be made to offer more length by simply fitting additional material inside.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com