doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dhanks Emmebi so expensive? - 06/23/18 07:18 PM
Hi all,

I was looking at some nice presentation cases and I started off with looking at Galazan/CSMC. They have some really nice oak and leather cases for a SXS for about $1,000 which includes accessories.

I also noticed that Emmebi carries very similar cases, but are $3,000. I think the Emmebi looks slightly better, but not 3x better.

Anyone have any idea why Emmebi gun cases are so damn expensive?

http://www.emmebi.it/eng/gun-cases-side-by-side.html#

I was looking at 1000/D01 in particular. $3,000 euros on the price list.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/23/18 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: dhanks
Hi all,

Anyone have any idea why Emmebi gun cases are so damn expensive?

http://www.emmebi.it/eng/gun-cases-side-by-side.html#

I was looking at 1000/D01 in particular. $3,000 euros on the price list.

Probably because there are people out there willing to pay the price. I would look at Jeff's Outfitters site before making final decision.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/23/18 09:39 PM
Jeff's Outfitters. Cheaper alternative.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/23/18 10:13 PM
There are some case makers here in the U.S..I had a nice oak and leather case made for my H.J. Hussey by FEI.
Posted By: dhanks Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/23/18 10:22 PM
I know there are a lot of options; however, I wanted to know why Emmebi is at least 3x if not 4x as expensive. Does anyone know why? Materials? Quality?
Posted By: dhanks Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/23/18 10:24 PM
I would like to make a custom presentation case for my Blaser R8. I have two barrels, two scopes, two magazines, two bolts, shoulder strap and accessories. Anyone have any recommendations on a case builder for such a presentation?

I assume I have to send the maker the gun, barrels, and all accessories so he can fit it properly?
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/23/18 10:42 PM
You can trace the outline on construction paper for the gun. As far as the accessories that would be for the case maker and you to discuss.
There is a guy over in Rock Hill, S.C. who is a member of the Carolina Vintagers. I can not remember his name but he is outstanding
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/23/18 10:42 PM
For that kind of money, just go with Huey and get a total custom.
Best,
Craig
Posted By: ed good Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 12:31 AM
have had jeffs cases, parker repro cases and galazan cases...

cant beat jeff's case for what you get for so much less money...
Posted By: Replacement Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 01:26 AM
I have a few Emmebi cases, most of which were built to go with production guns (Parker Repro, Beretta, one other that I can't remember right now), plus a couple that were sold directly by Emmebi. No doubt they are nice cases, but the ones that came with production guns are not as nice as the ones sold by Emmebi. My sense is that they will build whatever the customer wants, at the customer's price point. They are usually expensive because they are Italian, big name, high quality, and some are hand made. If you think Emmebis are pricey, look at custom leather cases from the artisinal Spanish makers. I also have a bunch of Jeff's cases. If he has one that fits your needs, that would be the way to go. Consider buying a nice case from Jeff's or CSMC and then having a casemaker gut it and refit to your specific needs. Get a solid case because the setup you described is going to be a load in one case.

Another possibility might be the Browning leather three-barrel case. Don't know if they are still made, but outside looks like Emmebi from across the room, and there is a lot of room inside to refit your gun. I have one, but don't remember if there is a Browning logo on the outside. If so, you could hide it with an initial plate.
Posted By: vangulil Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 01:28 AM
Another recommendation for Jeff's cases. I have one of his Winchester Model 12 takedown cases and am very pleased with it.
Posted By: rrrgcy Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 02:58 AM
Just ask Galazan and Jeff’s where they source their cases.. back when years ago first Introduced (maybe going on 11 years or so?) I’m willing to bet all matched those offered by the producers from China as I had seen so many similarities in product from the then Alibaba vendors packaging all sorts of varieties where you had to purchases like 150 a time. Today I don’t know if these offers by Jeff’s and galazan’s are Chinese but the price surely would be reflected in the savings in labor and qty. purchased.... Italy v China.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 03:02 AM
The last batch of cases I got from Jeff's were all made in Mexico, but that was several years ago.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 03:18 AM
According to Jeff, they are still made in Mexico. I have several of his cases and am pleased with them. I purchased a used Emmebi case from someone here on the board and I find it to be very high quality. The leather seems to be full grained and thicker than on Jeff's cases. The lining appears to be wool as well, instead of a cotton/wool blend. Buying high quality cases in good condition used seems to be the way to go.
Karl
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 11:22 AM
I use Bianchi leather holsters made in Mexico. These are very good holsters.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 12:38 PM
Buy the ones with the cotton/wool blend. We need to use more cotton. wink

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 02:06 PM
an speakin o cotton:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/paul-...-143801507.html
Posted By: dhanks Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 09:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Consider buying a nice case from Jeff's or CSMC and then having a casemaker gut it and refit to your specific needs. Get a solid case because the setup you described is going to be a load in one case.

Can you recommend a good casemaker?
Posted By: old colonel Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/24/18 11:34 PM
Originally Posted By: dhanks
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Consider buying a nice case from Jeff's or CSMC and then having a casemaker gut it and refit to your specific needs. Get a solid case because the setup you described is going to be a load in one case.

For custom Marvin Huey is excellent, but expensive.

http://www.hueycases.com

Another route is to buy an antique or used case that is solid and have Marvin’s sidekick Kade redo the inside for you

http://www.hueycases.com/gun-case-restoration/
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/25/18 02:47 AM
dhanks, the last few % points of quality for any product with a range of quality will be much more expensive. When you have a product like a gun case you can find a range of quality in design, materials, and workmanship. With each notch up in quality comes a notch up in price. If not, the lower grade level quickly becomes superfluous. Only a willing and able buyer can decide if the next notch up of quality is worth the increase in cost. For goods such as wine and violins the bottom to top may be several thousand X. If you could get a bottom quality case for $300 and a best work case for $3000 you have only 10X.

DDA
Posted By: Replacement Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/25/18 02:53 AM
Quote:

Huey or sidekick Kade could certainly refit any case you find. There is also a guy on the Parker website who has a very good reputation for case restoration, so go to PGCA and look up Kevin McCormick (spelling?). There used to be a casemaker who posted here, but I don't remember his name. As I recall, he was also a bookbinder. Anybody?

Re that Browning three-barrel case I mentioned earlier in this thread, I poked around the interwebs last night and did not find any. Can't send a pic of mine because it's 100 miles away, but I'll look around a little more.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/25/18 02:57 AM
I recall both auto 5 and superpower two barrel case but not a three at least in the Hartman line
Posted By: Replacement Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/25/18 02:49 PM
Quote:
I recall both auto 5 and superpower two barrel case but not a three at least in the Hartman line

The one I found is a newer Browning case, not a Hartman, but I got it about 10 years ago. May have already been discontinued when I found it, new with tags. Outside is smooth leather, a bit darker than a Parker Repro case. Takes 30" barrels (at least). I bought it for my BSS Sporter 12 that will become a three barrel set once I find some 26" barrels for it.

FYI, I think there was a three barrel Hartman on Gunbroker last week.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/27/18 08:19 AM
I would sell my three barrel Browning Hartman in a face to face in Maryland. They only hold 28" barrels, though. My custom oak and leather cases come from FEI. They have a website.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/27/18 01:59 PM
Check out "CUSTOM GUNCASES AND ACCESSORIES", they are from Australia. I have been in contact with this guy and he is very open to doing custom items like "Maker's" names on snap caps and oil bottles.
He sells a line of cases as well. Not sure if they are finished on the inside but that would not be a problem for someone here in the U.S..
My friend purchased two "Boss" oil bottles from him a few months ago and there was no problem with getting them and the oil bottles looked great.
Check him out, he seems like a really nice guy trying to get into the business.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/27/18 05:38 PM
Emmebi cases are great cases. I have a couple of new in the box ones that I will putting up for sale. I just need the time to dig around and find them

John Boyd
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/27/18 10:09 PM
John,
I'd be interested in one, PM me when you find them.
Karl
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Emmebi so expensive? - 06/28/18 02:57 PM
Karl:

PM me your phone number so I have it

John Boyd
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com