doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 10:58 AM
I've read about these, as supplied by Browning, and think I may have been given one in very good condition. What exactly are they, why do they seem desirable in the market, and how do you determine if a Browning hard case is indeed a Hartmann?

Thanks ahead.

SRH
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 11:27 AM
Congratulations! I used to collect Belgium Browning A5 shotguns and the Auto 22 takedown.
The Hartman cases were as collectable as the guns as you wanted to display your beautiful Sweet 16 in a nice factory case.
The most desirable Hartman case is the one with the plastic insert in the handle. Over time they would break and you saw many
that were missing. They made them for all their guns from high powered rifles to the Superposed.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 12:54 PM
There was the Hartmann cases and then the Airways cases. Both near identical. The only difference, as i recall, was the handle.

They were made for a number of different models. But the most commonly found one would usually be for the superposed. Multi-barrel cases were also made.

For most of the Hartmann and Airways cases, the max value on very nice ones is maybe $350.

The nicest Browning cases are by far the Tolex cases.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 02:34 PM
Which Browning case is most desirable is a matter of the vintage of the gun you want to put in it. Pre-War there was the S and SB, 1931 --

1937 --

In the late 1950s the Tolex --

and then the Hartman --

My Browning catalog collection isn't complete enough to tell exactly what years what styles began and ended.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 03:43 PM
They are classic cases, and make a great display.

I was also given a high condition 2 barrel A5 Hartmann case.

Gun in case looks just like it did on the counter at A&F.

The problem of course is that Brownings tended to be stored and neglected in the cases simply because many Brownings were equipped with hard cases.

Many a Superposed has corrosion damage on the right side of the frame from the model 1215 case.

The Hartmann/Airways case is a better design from that standpoint.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 07:00 PM
It's the one in the bottom photo Dave graciously posted. I'll go look at the handle, maybe take a pic or two to post for a positive i.d.

Thanks, everyone.

SRH
Posted By: PL Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 09:26 PM
Hartmann cases have plastic handle with white insert, metal feet, and the locks say Hartmann in script. The interiors on the early Hartmann cases is a short nap wool like material. The later Hartmann cases have a longer synthetic fur material inside.

Airways cases look similar but have leather handle and plastic feet.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 10:44 PM
Definitely an early Hartmann. Didn't see the little script on the latches.

Case has a few scuffs, and the interior is dirty, but not too bad overall. Thanks to all for the help.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 10:45 PM
Can anyone tell by the interior what Browning gun it was built for?

SRH
Posted By: Willieb Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/29/18 11:18 PM
Stan
I would guess for an A5 multi barrel.
It doesn't look like any of the ones I have for my superpose and the indentation in the top looks like the receiver of an A5.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/30/18 12:16 AM
That is for an A5. To my knowledge, all the A5 cases were for two barrels.

Your handle looks different than typical on hartmann cases. Replacement maybe?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/30/18 01:01 AM
Thanks, all. Looks like I have no need for it, unless I rework the interior for one of my doubles, maybe the 30" BSS 12.

SRH
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/30/18 02:08 AM
Careful, Stan. I'd wager it would be pretty easy to end up with WAY more into it then it would ever be worth. Unless you are thinking of doing it yourself.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: gil russell Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/30/18 02:41 AM
I recently relined a 3-barrel Hartman case for a skeet gun. It was a way bigger job than I thought it would be. I used upholstery leather. It took me about a day and a half. It looks fine, if I do say so, but I'm not sure I would take the time to do another. I don't think take down cases are all that useful.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/30/18 02:49 AM
I'd do it myself if it ever got done, and I'd use felt. It was given to me so I've got nothing in it.

I use takedown cases regularly, when I go to the range, not hunting.

SRH
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/30/18 03:35 AM
Oh for crying out loud Stan...

Clean it up a little bit... wipe the outside with 303... and...

Get a two barrel A5 set to put in it.

I suggest a magnum 20, with a IC barrel and a 'buck' barrel.

You will be surprised how nice the rifle sights are on those 'buck' barrels.

The mag 20 handles just like a Sweet Sixteen, will shoot any 20 gauge shell you please, and is alive in your hands.

'Ka-twang!'
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/30/18 11:04 AM
laugh There you go, the old reverse reasoning...............well, I now own a case for one, so I have to have one to go in it.

Hate to disappoint you, but I'm likely done with bro. J. Browning's A5s and M11s, fine as they are. I grew up shooting a M11 20 ga. at doves and quail, and I have Grandaddy's 16. I just have no desire to own another one. There's just too many cool .410 doubles out there that haven't gotten onto a dove field yet.

If I can find the right young guy, with an A5, I'll just give it to him. Somebody with a good sunflower field might be a worthy recipient............... wink

SRH
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Hartmann Cases - 06/30/18 12:11 PM
The superposed cases can easily be converted to work with a SxS.
Posted By: vangulil Re: Hartmann Cases - 07/01/18 01:52 AM
In my experience, a SxS, at least an SKB 12 ga, will fit in a Superposed O/U case without modification. The SxS will not, however, look particularly elegant in the case.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com