doublegunshop.com - home
https://www.cabelas.com/product/gun-library/antique-firearms-gun-library%7C/pc/103792680/c/103799880/parker-dh-grade-16-ga-/2764501.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fantique-firearms-gun-library%2F_%2FN-1103061%2FNo-40%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103799880%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D40
(copy and paste, link won't open otherwise)

A Dei Grego redo extractor 16 ga. DH Parker $8,000 over-priced.
JR
I don't think that gun is delgrego refinished. It lacks some of the telltale signs of that.

I was in the Cabelas in Northern Ohio last weekend on my way back from Michigan. It was a smaller store. They only had like 4 or 5 old doubles in the gun room. A few Smiths and one Parker. Most were junky one of the Smiths was decent.

What surprised me was the red rust on most fo them. Someone in there better get to wiping them down a little more often.
looks like it could be a delgrego redo to me...

jes because someone comes on here an says it aint, wid out providing details as to why it aint, don make it so, cause he say so...no watt ah mean...

in any event, it is not any wares near worth 13 grand, even if it is a documented delgrego redo...which it aint...no watt ah mean...
Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
I don't think that gun is delgrego refinished. It lacks some of the telltale signs of that.

Please elaborate, Brian. Sure looks like every Del Grego Parker re-do I've seen, and I've seen plenty.
JR
It may have been refinished by Del Grego but it certainly is not an upgrade (which Del Grego was known for). The barrels have been cut I think, supported by the fact that the keels are missing and it has cyanide case colors. Butt stock may have been shortened, judging by the very unclean line of the wood against the butt plate... In fact, the stock may be a replacement unless it was originally ordered with the 'trap comb'.
Originally Posted By: John Roberts

Please elaborate, Brian. Sure looks like every Del Grego Parker re-do I've seen, and I've seen plenty.
JR

Let me turn it around and ask you why you think it IS a Delgrego refinish?

Not that it adds any value if it is or isnt.
I asked you first, Brian.
JR

Let me turn it around and ask you who you think it IS a Delgrego refinish?

Not that it adds any value if it is or isnt.

Great come-back John. But even if you did want to answer the question, first you would need a translation to know exactly what in hell he was asking here.
Stock comb does not look right, and butt plate is wrong for a DH, unless it letters that way.
JR

Ok John,
The gun does not have typical Delgrego features like the sharp and steep comb flute or the tiger striped cyanide colors.
Yes, the frame does look cyanide colored, but the patterning is very different from what used to be put out by Delgrego.
Also, Delgrego refinishes usually are not that high of gloss on the stock finish.
All that combined with the fact that it does not even state in the description that it was a delgrego refinish makes me think it likely isnt.
Here is a Delgrego Redo. Parker DHE 10 gauge I used to own with Steel Barrels. Had a Delgrego pad and I called him on the gun and he said he had redone it. Also restocked it at the same time.

Well those colors are odd Tom.
JR

Ok John,
The gun does not have typical Delgrego features like the sharp and steep comb flute or the tiger striped cyanide colors.
Yes, the frame does look cyanide colored, but the patterning is very different from what used to be put out by Delgrego.
Also, Delgrego refinishes usually are not that high of gloss on the stock finish.
All that combined with the fact that it does not even state in the description that it was a delgrego refinish makes me think it likely isnt.

Thanks Brian. I still think it is, but regardless, it is waaay overpriced. I think those folks operate on the greater fool theory.
JR
Well those colors are odd Tom.

I've got a pile of pictures of the gun I kept on Picturetrail. Gun had been restocked in Claro I believe. Still had the original owners initials in the shield. Sold it to MidSouth and they never wrote a check so fast in their life. I had no idea how rare the gun was. Bought it in Maryland from a dealer who was liquidating a collection for a widow I believe. I did well on the gun sale, but I think MidSouth did really really well. I think I heard later they had made 41 DHE 10 gauges with steel 32" barrels. Oh well, I'm a Super Fox guy anyway.

I do believe this gun in the original post started out life with a capped pistol grip stock and 28 inch barrels. One can check the serial number in the Parker serial number book to see if that is correct.

Either way it is a complete redo, by who knows who, and insanely over priced but that is just this one guys opinion.

Carry on.
Delgreco Sr. did not do any recoloring . He farmed the work out . He does own the original skeet stamps and I have heard that some cut barrels became original skeet guns. One of his favorite upgrades was to checker the cheeks of the stock.

bill
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com