doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tim Frazier Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/06/18 07:21 PM
So I've been around here off and on for many years and I know "It's a double gun site" but I also know some pretty knowledgeable people hang out here and in general there is an appreciation for old and odd.

So that being said...I have found myself with a recent fascination for the Model 12 Featherweight after two discoveries. First, they really do weigh 6 1/2lbs in 12ga (only gauge made) and 2nd, they were all made in one year (March of 58 through March of 59. Then sold till 63 some time. I have two examples that I really like and just wonder if any of the members here have owned one and what their thoughts were.

The one with a 26" barrel is 6lbs 8oz and the one with a 30" barrel is a whopping 6lbs 11oz, amazing compared to a regular model 12.
Posted By: GLS Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/06/18 07:51 PM
Tim, I had one years ago. 26" IC. At the time, the value of it was less than the pre-64's and it wasn't in demand like the regular M12. The barrel take down was simpler. Gil
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/06/18 08:48 PM
I have a Remington model 31 "Lightweight" with Duraluminum action. I don't think I've run into a Winchester. Does it have a light metal receiver or steel? My model 37 featherweights have been all steel...Geo
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/06/18 09:38 PM
Wasnt the featherweight 12 basically the same as the model 25?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/06/18 10:20 PM
The Model 25 was a solid frame version of the Model 12, while the Model 12 Featherweight was a take-down.
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/07/18 01:17 AM
Yes the break down is very simple,unscrew the end knob which stays attached to the barrel, a quarter twist and it's off. I think they would have really taken off if introduced earlier as they are lighter and more dynamic in my humble opinion.
Sounds interesting! Fairly rare? Pricy?
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I have a Remington model 31 "Lightweight" with Duraluminum action. I don't think I've run into a Winchester. Does it have a light metal receiver or steel? My model 37 featherweights have been all steel...Geo

Geo,
Featherweight is the name applied to all models of the model 37, up until the company produced the Ultrafeatherweight. The Ultras have an aluminum receiver. Featherweights are steel. There were a few runs of Ultras in the 1970s, mostly 20s, it seems. There was at least one run of Ultras produced at King's Ferry, ditto Upper Sandusky. There is, or, was a 16 gauge Ultra just for sale over on 16 gauge.com, at the not unsurprising price of $750. I owned a King's Ferry 16 gauge Ultra, and mine was a nice gun. I have heard complaints of them being butt heavy, but, mine wasn't. It was, however, scarcely lighter than my mid 1950s Featherweight 16, likely due to choke tubes, knock out wood, and a vented rib the Feather lacked. The Ultra has the same barrel attachment as a steel frame gun, meaning you have steel on aluminum threads, and it would fall into the catagory of guns you carry a lot, and shoot a little. I have moved both guns on. Ultras are not common.
The rare bird out of the 37s seems to be the 3" 12. Also called a Featherweight, it most assuredly is not, my example tips the scales at very near 8 pounds, wearing a 30" ventilated rib choke tube barrel.
I've seen three of them. All were King's Ferry guns. Two had the receiver tapped for scope mounts. This gun is mine, it is a King's Ferry gun wearing Upper Sandusky wood. I sent the gun in when they were offering custom dimension stocking for Ithaca 37s of any vintage, which, they may still do:

3" marking:

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/07/18 02:25 PM
Always more to learn...Geo
I believe all the 12 and 20 gauge guns from Upper Sandusky are 3" guns, now. But, the term "Featherweight" doesn't really mean what it once did. The barrels are heavier, and choke tubes are standard. They can run steel shot, no problem.
Not all progress is good.
I suppose a 20, with the shorter barrel, wouldn't be unreasonable heavy, but, the earlier version, or, it's cousin, the Ultra, would be a lighter gun.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: GLS Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/07/18 04:06 PM
The first year advertisement (1939) for the M37 20 stated a weight of 5.75 lbs. Mine weighs as advertised. This is accomplished partially by the stock being partially hollowed in a rectangular cut. This was abandoned in later years. All of my 2 3/4" 20 ga. M37 Ithacas hover just below 6 lbs. The Upper Sandusky 20 ga. TurkeySlayer is a real tub weighing 7 lbs. The stock is solid plastic unlike the hollow styrene stocks on some guns. I don't have much use for a 20 ga. turkey gun that carries like a 12. Additionally, the barrel isn't designed for removal. Other than weight, the Upper Sandusky guns are well made. The 28 ga. is a solid 6 lbs. Weight could've been shaved more had the barrel been offered without a vent rib. Gil
The 20 gauge turkey model might make a good trap gun for a former pro boxer, who was a little recoil sensitive.
7lbs would soak up recoil in a 20, that is for sure.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/07/18 06:12 PM
Getting back to Winchester Model 12 featherweights, I own one, it was my first shotgun given to me by my father. I hope to pass it down. I remember pheasant hunting with my dad, after a long
afternoon, we stopped to cross a fence. I held his 1897 and thought, "wow, this is heavy compared to my featherweight."

A couple of years ago, I picked up an extra barrel with a polychoke on it. I still haven't gotten around to having it shortened and screw in chokes added.

The Model 12 featherweight and Model 25 were variations of the Winchester Model 12 that were cheaper to manufacture. Personally, I think of the Model 25 as being the solid frame version of the Model 12 featherweight, just due to the similarities of the left sides of the receiver, in particular
the cutout in the receiver for the operating bar.

Are they pricey asks Fallschirmjaeger, not particularly in today's market. Here is a link to one that went fairly cheaply in my opinion on gunbroker.

Model 12 featherweight
Thank you PhysDoc... That price seems extremely reasonable.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/08/18 12:49 AM
you are welcome, if you bide your time and wait, good deals come up on
model 12's, model 12 featherweights, and model 25's.
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/08/18 01:21 AM
I Just picked up a solid rib Heavy Duck with quite a bit of finish wear but excellent mechanics for $550 shipped. A really cool gun a very reasonable price.

http://content.invisioncic.com/r266882/m...8b33cdd419.jpeg

Here is the Featherweight with the Heavy Duck. Same barrel length, 1lb 9oz difference!

http://content.invisioncic.com/r266882/m...d3e9c28082.jpeg
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Winchester Model 12 Featherweight - 07/08/18 02:48 PM
Originally Posted By: PhysDoc

A couple of years ago, I picked up an extra barrel with a polychoke on it. I still haven't gotten around to having it shortened and screw in chokes added.

You may want to take a close look at that choke. If it's a Cutts and not a PolyChoke. Some factory Cutts had mounting flanges integral to the barrel and not sweated on and are quite rare.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com