doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HomelessjOe Randall Knifes SxSs... - 08/26/18 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Argo44
jOe, I have a very knowledgable Randall expert in the family -

I ran up on these two Randall's at an estate sale...I think the Bowie to be early 1960's and the tooth pic to be late 1960's...but I need an experts opinion.
My guess was based on the blade stamping and the brass coolie cap on the end of the handle.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 08/26/18 12:34 PM

These are some massive knifes...The Smithsonian Bowie could no doubt decapitate someone in one blow on the other hand the Arkansas Toothpick is exceptionally light in comparison and could literally "pick" a man to pieces.

One for Bear and the other for man....
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 08/26/18 12:51 PM
I've sent brother a note to take a look at them. They look genuine and very interesting to me. Too big to be practical in the field but intimidating.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 08/26/18 03:07 PM
Here's a better picture of the coolie caps.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 08/26/18 09:19 PM
j0e, here is brother Jack's response....(also former 5th Special Force Group - Dak Pek, and Ben Het A camps in Vietnam...1968 fight in Kontum during Tet - petroleum engineer - and oil field accident investigator). He is not a high profile collector but does have a small group of about 20 Vietnam blades... He is knowledgeable and is not a dealer either. He posts on Randall boards as "jacknola" and has done some pioneering research on Randalls. So I'd trust his opinion...... about knives anyway.

Hey Gene...hard to tell exactly but I would say about 1963 for manufacture date for both of them...Bowie could be couple of years earlier. Bowie has pre-1966 stamp, the thick, early guard, coolie cap type that came in post 1960. Toothy has an etched stamp that wasn’t available until 1963...however the blade was previously hot stamped first, and then the etch was added for whatever reason, usually because the original stamp was too light. The thick guard and cap probably indicates these where made close to each other...so I would say 1963 for best guess. Looks like rosewood handle... which is anything Che piece of wood. these are nice. Without sheaths I wouldn’t pay more than about $600 each because market for these is down. Sheaths can be found.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 08/27/18 01:02 AM
Tell him thanks...I agree on everything but the value.
Posted By: CptCurl Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 08/27/18 11:45 AM
jOe,

You wouldn't try to get them for a sOng, would you? smile

Good luck,
Curl
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 08/27/18 12:04 PM
I paid exactly what they were asking for them...and it was a short song.

If and when I part with them the song won't be so short.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/07/18 06:19 AM
Speaking of Randall knives. On my way back from Vegas last week I stopped at that knife store near Holbrook Arizona. They have got more Randalls in their show case than I have ever seen inone place. I asked her how she managed to get the number she has since it is such a long lead time to get one from Randall and she said she has bought them from individuals. She also said that the last one she ordered from Randall took almost 7 years to get delivery!! I believe she only had a couple under a grand. They certainly were nice to look at. I had to settle for a Case and a German-made Boker. It was worth stopping to look. I was expecting to see cases full of colorful plastic handled knives like that guy on TV sells for pennies on the dollar worth. Actually quite impressive what she had in stock.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/07/18 12:08 PM
There's something fishy about the 6 year wait...A buddy has ordered a few from Randall in the last few years and he says it took a year and a half.

Retailers like A.G. Russell can order them for you in 8 to 10 months per their website and they have several models in stock.

A.G. Russell has about a $100 mark up from the Randall website prices. That's fair compared to the Randall insider on Ebay.

This guy must be BO Randall's kin folk...

The guy is loaded up on Ebay with over 200 brand new Randall knives and has at the least a $200 mark up over Randall prices and on a few models I suspect it's closer to a 4 or 5 hundred dollar mark up.

Randall would do well to put a stop this kinda crap.

Posted By: Bruce Bernacki Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/08/18 03:33 PM
Then your buddy got lucky or he's a GI getting ready to ship out to the sand box. I think they will expedite orders for servicemen. Both of my last 2 Randall's took over 5 years each, just like the estimate they gave me. They only require a $50 deposit, if I remember correctly. It's a pleasant surprise when they show up.

Bruce
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/08/18 09:54 PM
I can only repeat what the owner of that knife store told me Joe. I never ordered a Randall so I have no idea, although I have to admit that I thought the wait was only about two years at present.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/08/18 09:57 PM
I typed my response to Joe before I read your post Bruce. Your statement lends credibility to what the lady who owns that store in AZ told me.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/09/18 11:56 AM
Nice find Joe.

I'm getting a Randall delivered this month, ordered 3 years ago. Just a plain old APFK 1-7.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/09/18 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Bruce Bernacki
Then your buddy got lucky or he's a GI getting ready to ship out to the sand box. I think they will expedite orders for servicemen. Both of my last 2 Randall's took over 5 years each, just like the estimate they gave me. They only require a $50 deposit, if I remember correctly. It's a pleasant surprise when they show up.

Bruce

Yes you are correct. They have a special program for deploying servicemen. It is limited to a few models and options and require name etching of the buyer. Over the last decade, I have gotten a knife for my son while he was deployed. And I got one for myself during my final deployment.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/11/18 06:37 PM
I just left the Randal website and order form. They have a notification posted that every order made now is looking at a 6 year delivery time.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/11/18 07:26 PM
There are used Randall's out there. My brother knows the market well and did pioneering research on dating Randalls. In fact j0e quoted Jacknola's own research back to us. But as usual when buying from a dealer or off the internet, caveat emptor. If one of DGS posters finds something he's interested in, I'd be happy to have twin brother take a look and give an opinion. He really is an "expert."
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Randall Knifes SxSs... - 09/11/18 08:26 PM
I actually had another Randall authority take a look at the pictures he pretty much said the same thing as Jacknola early 1960's with the addition that he thought the Bowie might possibly be older...I then told him what Jacknola said along with his internet name and he offered no argument.

Ps...I missed the Vietnam war by a couple years I just wanted to say thanks for you and your brothers service to our country.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com