doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John E Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/07/18 08:13 PM
The gun has PONTARELLI NICOLA stamped on each barrel and POUDRES VIVES on the top rib. Any info on Maker and date of mfg?

Auction listing has pictures:

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milita...&rfpb=0#Top

Thanks,

John
Posted By: Mark II Re: Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/07/18 08:37 PM
John, without seeing any proofmarks really hard to tell. There is the Liege mark on the top tang extension. Probably mid grade as it is an extractor gun. If you get it for the price of a parts gun and the barrels are decent it would be a nice rainy day gun, Mark
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/07/18 09:13 PM
Mark,

If you scroll to the right you can see the proofs, which as usual are not very revealing as to the maker. 70mm chambers is nice and the tubes are stamped "H.H.".

John,
That's an interesting gun and the scroll work on the bottom of the receiver is lovely. Though to ME, the marketing of "poudre vives" on the rib is usually something I've seen on lower end guns. Then again, I'm far far from an expert.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/07/18 09:16 PM
Also, the chamber stamp puts that gun post-1924 proof.
Posted By: John E Re: Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/07/18 09:45 PM
Mark & fallschirmjaeger,

The gauge-length stamp and the nitro- proof are certainly post 1924. I have not identified the "V" under * or the italic "d". There is also what looks like a "U" under * just forward and inboard of the choke stamp on the right barrel.

For the $150 hammer price I think I did ok.
If all is well with the mechanics, I plan to clean it up and gift it to an upstart shooter.

John
Posted By: Mark II Re: Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/07/18 10:15 PM
Bravo! Let us know how it turns out.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/07/18 10:42 PM
according to Hallowell's very useful listing of "proof date codes", the small case "d" indicates 1925 proving.
enjoy,
tom
Posted By: John E Re: Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/07/18 11:04 PM
According to info found on one of DrDrew's sites, the V & U under * stamps are Controller marks. U under * is Charlier Hubert, 1923-1953 . V under * is Maçon Isidor, 1929-1953.
If the date stamp is 1925, how can it have the V Controller marks?
Sometimes close is good enough?

Thank you gentlemen,

John
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Belgian boxlock, Maker? - 09/08/18 10:59 AM
We've determined in previous discussions that the controller marks aren't all that reliable. As stated above, the d is the date code, and that matches the fact that those particular proofmarks were adopted in 1924.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com