doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Shotgunjones Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/09/18 11:12 PM
Anybody make firing pins for a K-20 that don't start piercing everything except a W209 after 15K rounds?

This is unacceptable firing pin life.

How hard can it be to make a stupid firing pin?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/10/18 01:55 PM
Shotgunjones,
It was a lack of certain firing pin that caused me to trade for my first small lathe, which expanded my hobby and increased my enjoyment. Now would be a good time for you to take the step, you won't regret it. A lathe(and mill)is a requirement of life, anyway.
Mike
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/10/18 02:16 PM
Yes, good advice.

The other problem is that apparently Krieghoff builds a gun by laying two firing pins on the bench and assembling the gun around them.

Replacement is a job for a guy with the tools and the knowledge, both of which I lack at the present.

What I'd like is to have a good set of pins installed that I can forget about forever.

I do have a set from the first overhaul that could be used as a pattern. Perhaps there's somebody out there who could fabricate a pair for me. Appropriate steel and good heat treat would be a plus.

I do know where a 'factory trained' Krieghoff mechanic is so I could have the parts installed. I just have drive all day to get to his place.
A gunsmith friend says that there are some very hard primers out there that are doing harm to K-80 fireing pins?? MAYBE Rio???
He worked at Ottsville as a gunsmith for Kreighoff so I believe he knows what he is doing.

bill
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/10/18 02:52 PM
That's the party line story from Krieghoff.

They blame Gun Club primers, at least before the supposed change by Remington to STS primers in the Gun Club product. I did lose a firing pin in an 1100 to the old Gun Club primers.

My gun has had 90% Winchester primers run through it. The rest were whatever they load in the Herter's brand and a few flats of Federal. it's never seen a Rio since the last firing pin change.

I bought a couple flats of current production Gun Clubs and after two boxes it started piercing every one.

The tips of the pins under a magnifier look like the crater Copernicus, complete with the center mountain.

So, for now I'm shooting Winchester primed reloads.

Rather irritating at this price point. I have Beretta's and Brownings with many multiples of the cycles on the Krieghoff and they all have their original firing pins.

My experience is not unique. I know of 2 others with the same history.

There would seem to be a market ready for good firing pins for these, perhaps Titanium?
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/10/18 04:27 PM
S7 would be a great steel to use. I’ve got a CNC lathe...
Posted By: vangulil Re: Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/10/18 04:39 PM
A quick fix would be to trade in the Krieghoff. This type of failure would not acceptable to me at Krieghoff prices.
As a professor of mechanical engineering, with more specific information, pictures, etc., I would be tempted to use it as an example of poor design in my design courses.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/10/18 04:48 PM
Mr. Little,

If you're seriously interested in the project, I'll send you these pins as a pattern and buy your first set.

These are for a K-20.

K-80's have the same exact problem, and I do not know if they use the same firing pins.

All the pins and springs are routinely changed during 'annual service' that many K shooters buy on a frequent basis if not actually annually. The biggest cost is shipping.

Krieghoff does treat their shooters well, I'm not complaining about that but I would like to have a set of pins that last.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/10/18 04:51 PM
I like the K-20, it's not going anywhere.

It's everything the K-80 isn't.
Posted By: Boats Re: Aftermarket Krieghoff firing pins? - 09/10/18 09:01 PM
Everybody knows German Guns are perfect, any problem must be Ammunition. That’s what Anschutz factory service told me when my brand new 1712 . 22 failed to extract and knocked me out of a big match.

Boats
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com