doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Gun shops in London - 09/11/18 07:29 PM
Good afternoon! Besides H&H and James Pudey and Sons, are there any good gun shops I should stop at while I'm in London?

Thanks!
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Gun shops in London - 09/11/18 08:32 PM
Think they may have moved to the outskirts on London but I would go to Boss & Co. if I was there.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Gun shops in London - 09/11/18 09:38 PM
There is a nice sporting Shop in Piccadilly, kinda the Northwest side, Cant remember the name but it should be apparent
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Gun shops in London - 09/11/18 10:24 PM
Not sure where in London but W Richards would be a nice stop.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 02:54 AM
By (buy) all means stop in at William Evans - first class joint with nice folks. Time your travel to visit one of the auctions. If you have time for an excursion, take a train ride over to Birmingham and visit Westley Richards.

DDA
Posted By: 1cdog Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 12:25 PM
William Evans
Beretta Gallery
Holland & Holland
William & Son
James Purdey & Sons

All of these are within walking distance of each other in London. The most distance would be between William Evans and Purdey and that would only be about 4 blocks. Lots of good pubs/eating places in-between each gun shop. There are also some sporting stores (no guns but clothes and the such) to visit like Cordings owned by Eric Clapton.

The gunmakers shops are all very friendly. I would highly recommend taking a full day to do a walking tour of the gunmakers shops. And then go right back and do it again the next day too smile
Posted By: King Brown Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 01:37 PM
Strolling downhill 100m from Piccadilly this year I visited Evans and Beretta, and gave my same old line to the first person approaching me, knowing they must be swamped by tire kickers: "I just want to look, won't ask to handle any of them, thank you."

As mentioned by other members, the Brits are professionals, accommodating to everyone. I was the only looker in the shops at the time. When I mentioned at Beretta that I "only" had a 686, a saleswoman said, "You're a member of the Beretta family then, you're a part of this place."

Surrounded by Berettas worth 100 times my 686, they made me feel at home.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 01:38 PM
Don’t forget to schedule a hot towel shave and razor haircut at Gentlemens tonic. It’s just around the corner from Holland and Holland adjacent to William and son.

Make a day of it. See a tobacconist. Have a martini. Get a massage. Buy some tailored shirts w/cufflinks. They are located next to the gray tweed. wink

Make a man’s day of It.

There are a couple websites that describe hour by hour a shooting man’s day in Mayfair.
Lunch, drinks, services, hedonism incarnate.
Posted By: halifax Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 01:52 PM
Don't be afraid to "kick the tires." All the gunmakers are very friendly and will let you look at any gun on the premises. Purdey may not let you go into The Long Room but all the rest of the shop is crammed full of merchandise. William & Son is very close to H & H, so you might want to visit that store also.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 02:59 PM
Enjoy the visit Claycrusher but beware of London prices. You will find that often the same things can be bought for a whole lot less outside the big city. Lagopus…..
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 03:27 PM
I own 3 old H&H's, and was hoping to get a glance at the record books to go slightly deeper than the copy of the entry I paid for. Has anyone found that either they or Purdey allow a glimpse into the workshop? That would be absolutely amazing to see, even if only for a few minutes!
Posted By: pamtnman Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Don’t forget to schedule a hot towel shave and razor haircut at Gentlemens tonic. It’s just around the corner from Holland and Holland adjacent to William and son.

Make a day of it. See a tobacconist. Have a martini. Get a massage. Buy some tailored shirts w/cufflinks. They are located next to the gray tweed. wink

Make a man’s day of It.

There are a couple websites that describe hour by hour a shooting man’s day in Mayfair.
Lunch, drinks, services, hedonism incarnate.

Right On
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 05:09 PM
William Evans is well worth a look. Been a while, but I used to make the rounds in London and see all the toys.
Posted By: bonny Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: claycrusher1900
I own 3 old H&H's, and was hoping to get a glance at the record books to go slightly deeper than the copy of the entry I paid for. Has anyone found that either they or Purdey allow a glimpse into the workshop? That would be absolutely amazing to see, even if only for a few minutes!

I think both H&H and Purdey's workshops are well away from the shops, so it is not like it would have been years ago, where you could go out the door at the back of the shop, into the workshops. They may still accomodate your request though.
Posted By: bonny Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 10:09 PM
Don't forget Ray Wards shop, and also Watson Brothers.

http://www.rwardgunmakers.com

http://www.watsonbrosgunmakers.com
Posted By: VictoryXC Re: Gun shops in London - 09/12/18 10:45 PM
Originally Posted By: 1cdog
William Evans
Beretta Gallery
Holland & Holland
William & Son
James Purdey & Sons

All of these are within walking distance of each other in London. The most distance would be between William Evans and Purdey and that would only be about 4 blocks. Lots of good pubs/eating places in-between each gun shop. There are also some sporting stores (no guns but clothes and the such) to visit like Cordings owned by Eric Clapton.

The gunmakers shops are all very friendly. I would highly recommend taking a full day to do a walking tour of the gunmakers shops. And then go right back and do it again the next day too smile

I did this circuit last June and it was well worth it. The shops were all very friendly and spent time chatting even knowing I was only there as a tourist. I will definitely do it again when I am back in London.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com