doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Owenjj3 Four Bore - 09/19/18 12:29 AM
I ran across this 4 Bore while perusing Graham Mackinlay’s site in Scotland. Specs: Made 1981, 4” chambers, 36” barrels, 19.5lbs. Been fired 24 times. Min Walls are listed as “thick”. Pretty cool.

Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Four Bore - 09/19/18 06:00 AM
One day! Watson Bros. Still makes one
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Four Bore - 09/19/18 03:35 PM
I’m in the beginning stages of making a rifled version for a client. Will be much heavier at 24lbs with 24” barrels.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Four Bore - 09/21/18 02:03 PM
I have a friend in the UK who uses an 8 on geese. Perhaps you could use it to effect in a country that knows it is about the shooter and the limits and not the gauge.

bill
Posted By: Hal Re: Four Bore - 09/21/18 07:19 PM
Yes the USFWS should allow ORIGINAL single or double shotguns >10 bore with non-toxic shot for waterfowl, especially now that a hunter can blaze away with a 10 ga semiauto 3" 3 1/2" with hi-velocity loads. At least for species like Snow Geese where population reduction is a goal.
Posted By: bonny Re: Four Bore - 09/21/18 11:21 PM
Funny a thread on 4-bores coming up. I was watching a video last night on youtube, "Clarissa and the countryman". In which it shows UK gunmaker Alan Myers machining a 4-bore double action. Anyone know if he is still kicking ?

https://youtu.be/ytuZUhIa9Nc
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Four Bore - 09/22/18 02:16 AM
Personally once market hunting was banned I don’t see the need for the redundancy of gauge limits. A limit of birds is a limit of birds. Magazine capacity I can understand due to the tendency of some to pray and spray on last shot, often crippling.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Four Bore - 09/22/18 11:10 AM
bonney, yes Alan Myers still going as far as I know: https://b99.co.uk/gunsmith/preston/alan-myers-gun-makers/ Clarissa Dickson-Wright sadly is no longer with us but Sir Johnny Scott (Countryman) still is. It was quite a good little T.V. series.

A friend, who I should see tomorrow if he turns up at the black powder shoot, has some contact with Alan Myers personally so I will ask him. Friend shoots wildfowl with muzzle loading big bores. A lot of wildfowlers here are going back to muzzle loaders in big bores as they can easily be loaded with Bismuth shot and a lot cheaper than making cartridges. Lagopus…..
Posted By: bonny Re: Four Bore - 09/22/18 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
bonney, yes Alan Myers still going as far as I know: https://b99.co.uk/gunsmith/preston/alan-myers-gun-makers/ Clarissa Dickson-Wright sadly is no longer with us but Sir Johnny Scott (Countryman) still is. It was quite a good little T.V. series.

Yes i knew Clarissa dropped off the twig, sometime ago it was too. I remember the trendy lefties and anti's having a gloat about her passing. Just wondered if Alan was still going, he seemed to be a one-man band in the video, great skills and talent.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Four Bore - 03/04/20 06:16 PM
He passed last week.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Four Bore - 03/05/20 01:53 AM
Who? Edit: Sorry. Just read that Alan passed. Our condolences
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com