doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chuck H Pipe Burner for 36" tank help needed - 09/22/18 04:53 PM
I'm trying to build a pipe burner for my 36" SS rust blue tank. I've always just put it on the top of the stove, but it's not a welcome thing in the kitchen.

I took a 36" x 3/4" pipe and drilled it with (32) 1/8" holes. My venturi and jet are from my 100,000 btu turkey fryer burner and it is 3/4" NPT. So I went with 3/4" pipe.

My problem is that the flame separates from the tube and blows out unless set at extremely low flow. I tried chamfering the holes to no help. Did I put too large holes in there? Too big or small jet?
Posted By: SKB Re: Pipe Burner for 36" tank help needed - 09/22/18 05:01 PM
Frustration with converting my old bluing set up from NG to LPG ended up with my buying on of these:

https://custompipeburners.com/Straight-Pipe-Burners/5

bought the high pressure regulator and the fine adjustment valve. No more headaches.
Years ago I made an aluminum tank with a lid, 48" long, 6" wide and 6" high. I made if for steam bending chairs. Set it over a two burner camp stove I had.
When I first started rusting barrels I needed to find something so I tried the aluminum tank, when the water boils I put the rusted barrels in for 5 minutes take out and go onto the next step.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Pipe Burner for 36" tank help needed - 09/22/18 06:26 PM
Chuck,
I believe 1/8th holes are too large, You can check this at the local propane supplier( one that delivers bulk gas, not a filling station that only swaps tanks).
Mike
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: Pipe Burner for 36" tank help needed - 09/22/18 08:36 PM
I use hot water boiler elements is mine , one 4500 watt in each end of a stainless 40 inch tank ,boils in 15 minutes
Posted By: battle Re: Pipe Burner for 36" tank help needed - 09/22/18 09:39 PM
My piper burner holes are much smaller.
I used a 2 inch black iron pipe with two rowes of 1/16 holes, using pipe caps on each end I drilled a large hole in one end and brased a 50,000 BTU BBQ grill venture , jet and off & on valve to the end. Works fine.

bill
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Pipe Burner for 36" tank help needed - 09/23/18 07:47 AM
Since the pressures are so low, I duct taped the 1/8" holes and tried saw slits from a hacksaw, just as a test part. Just barely break through slots about 3/16" long at the bottom. I cut a dozen or so and it worked well, but very high volume of heat. The shape of the exit seems to play a large role. If I cut slots every 1/2" on a 3 ft pipe it would be too much flow. I'll play with a pattern.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Pipe Burner for 36" tank help needed - 09/23/18 11:18 AM
I made a fish fryer years ago someone told me to use an automotive grease fitting for the jet with the little ball knocked out. I had that suspended in the center of a two inch threaded pipe about 5 inches long with end cap drilled with 6 or 8 pretty big holes...if my memory serves me seems like the holes I drilled in the end cap were 1/8" at least.
My cooker sounded like a jet engine.
My 36 inch pipe burner for LP gas came from Brownell's and works very well Pipe is about 1.7 inch diameter with 2 rows of holes about .107" diameter each and it has an adjust air baffle on the gas inlet side. pressure regulator is from an old gas grille.
I've seen likker stills on the creeks and branches around here the were fired with a pipe burner made that way..................but fueled with gasoline! It was delivered by compressed air to the burner. I wasn't there as a customer, but merely passing' through while squirrel or 'coon hunting. Most had already been destroyed by the sheriff's deputies, with pickaxes.

To keep this topic related, some of them utilized "shotgun condensers". wink

https://www.olympicdistillers.com/moonshine-still-do-it-yourself-kits/copper-shotgun-condenser-2

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com