doublegunshop.com - home
I travel a good bit for work and thought I would make a map of all the quality gun stores in America. This way when I am traveling I will know if I am near a place worth stopping. I need help filling in all the quality stores, the map will be available for all to use. Link to Map

If you think a store should be added, please include the name of the store and the city and state and I will add it to the map. Any store that carries quality guns, new and used are wanted.
Chad, can you make a map of all the Mom and Pop stores as well. When ever I traveled somewhere. I got the yellow pages out and found the locale shops. Best way to find sleepers....lol
p.s. nice map site.
The mom and pops that commonly have double guns are welcome, the mom and pops that have only handguns, AR's and semi-auto shotguns, I would prefer to pass on. Those are a dime a dozen and located everywhere...
I'm going to not include the Cabela's gunrooms. With Basspro buying them out, they might be short for the world...
Amarillo, Texas
Damron's Pawn, you would be suprised

http://damronspawn.com/firearms/376350

Albuquerque, New Mexico
http://www.ronpetersonfirearms.com/
2.5 months ago, I was 3 blocks from this place and had no idea...

http://www.ronpetersonfirearms.com/
Near DisneyLand!

Fowlers Gun Room
358 South Tustin Street
Orange, CA 92866
Great idea!

Mid South Guns
24461 Main St
Wagram, NC 28396

Carolina Sporting Arms
http://store.csaguns.com
Depending on how you define “good” Mid South In Wagram NC may be the best in the country. Certainly has the largest inventory of vintage SXS Guns and may have one of the largest used OU inventory’s. Model 12 inventory is extensive too.

No web site, no catalog very few new Guns, minimal participation in shows. I don’t think there are any consignment Guns either.

Bass
Classic Arms on Germantown Rd. Memphis Tn.

Jay Hill started importing SxS's from England and generally has at least 15 to 20 SxSs on hand.

If you ever go in there...during the price negotiation tell him "Frank said we could flip for the difference".
Originally Posted By: Boats
Depending on how you define “good” Mid South In Wagram NC may be the best in the country. Certainly has the largest inventory of vintage SXS Guns and may have one of the largest used OU inventory’s. Model 12 inventory is extensive too.

No web site, no catalog very few new Guns, minimal participation in shows. I don’t think there are any consignment Guns either.

Bass

That does it. I've heard enough about this place that I'm going to have to take a long day trip up there this winter. Three hour and 50 minute drive for me. Well, maybe an overnighter.

SRH
I bought a nice 20 gauge Fox from Mid South years ago. Bobby
Quote:

See, I am currently working in North Carolina, about 20 miles from this place. I am glad I started them map while I was on the road and not after I got home...

I have added everything to the list currently...
Cherry's Fine Guns Greensboro, NC. Lots of pistols, but also SxS inventory with a number of Hollenbeck/Three Barrel Gun Co. guns.
You might consider asking Dave to put this into a more permanent section of the BBS so it doesn’t get lost over time.
Mid South Guns
Wagram NC

Row, upon row, upon row of Parker, Fox, LC Smith, Ithaca, English doubles, many sub-gauges, and may grades. Also, a good number of vintage lever guns, Colt SA revolvers, .22 rifles, and new OU's.

Nearest town of any size would be Southern Pines, NC.
Originally Posted By: Remington40x
You might consider asking Dave to put this into a more permanent section of the BBS so it doesn’t get lost over time.

That'd be asking Dave for a lot of free advertising. That's what pays to keep this site open...Geo
You might want to add Simpson's in Galesburg,Ill. Massive number of sxs's a lot in rough condition but every once in a while something nice. I've bought a few drillings and combo guns that I use regularly for hunting from them. Plus a couple of good hammer doubles. I usually stop in with a list of guns that interest me and they will set me up with a spot that I can take them down and check them out. Most of their stuff is imported from Europe.
Since your in NC make a trip to Macays landing.
Hallowells in Livingston,Montana

Always worth a visit if you are in the area
I made it by Mid South today and the selection of guns was huge. Lots of Parkers, Fox's, Smiths. Probably 300-500 sxs shotguns. I looked at guns for close to 2 hours, only one other shopper in there, 2-3 employees. They never asked if I needed help. I was looking for a beater sxs sub-gauge for my son and they had no knowledge to contribute. The owner was not in and so I moved on...
Originally Posted By: Chad Linder
I made it by Mid South today and the selection of guns was huge. Lots of Parkers, Fox's, Smiths. Probably 300-500 sxs shotguns. I looked at guns for close to 2 hours, only one other shopper in there, 2-3 employees. They never asked if I needed help. I was looking for a beater sxs sub-gauge for my son and they had no knowledge to contribute. The owner was not in and so I moved on...

Phillip will work with you on price, when you catch him in. From what I've overheard, I believe he's involved in farming in the area, which might explain it when he's not there.
Great idea! Here are two, located right beside each other:

Olathe Gun Shop, Olathe,KS
Simmons Gun Repair and Sales, Olathe, KS

Many may recall that Simmons is well know for repairs, and for ribs installed (for the factory, I think) on older Winchesters. They now carry some interesting guns, mostly doubles.

The Olathe Gun Shop has a large array of vintage shotguns, as well as new firearms, clothing and accessories.
My Mid South routine is walk the racks, take the hang tag on anything I am intrested in and wedge it in front of the trigger guard so I can find it later, Then carry three candidates to the back table. Pick one to eliminate put it back with the hang tag hanging and replace it with another. Keep working through through the guns three at a time until I have come to a good idea oneI want.

Couple close calls I may ask Phillip for his opinion , other than that don’t ask him much. One thing he’s not is a salesman, he knows his SxS Guns very well but won’t push one over another. He is a farmer and may be out, but will come back to meet you if possible. Meet for sure if you set it up in advance

I think I have bought 5 Parker’s one LC Smith one Berretta O/U one 391 and a Winchester High Wall at Mid South. Sold him a few guns too. My guess is friends of mine have bought at least 2 dozen side by sides at Mid South. I found his shop through a friend, it’s 5 hours from my house, day long round trip.

Boats
On the sub gages left side of the shop behind the O/U guns he has dozen or so vintage American 410 SxS Guns, all common makers like Stevens etc. if I was ever bitten by the 410 bug be the first stop I would make.

Boats
Originally Posted By: Boats
On the sub gages left side of the shop behind the O/U guns he has dozen or so vintage American 410 SxS Guns, all common makers like Stevens etc. if I was ever bitten by the 410 bug be the first stop I would make.

Boats

Uh, oh.

SRH
This is to put it in perspective. English and European sxs guns mainly on the top row, o/u shotguns on the bottom row. The opposite wall had an entire run of Parkers, Foxes and Smiths.

Sound like I am selling Mid South but honest dealers are getting scare. He does not embellish or dress up anything every gun is exactly as he bought it . Guns with warts or hidden gems no different .

Boats
That looks like SxS heaven....dang
A jewler I am doing some business with in Austin just told me of J.E. Cauthen & Sons in Fredericksburg, TX.. I have not been in but seems to have some very nice doubles and from the website, looks like it would be a nice place to poke around. http://www.jecauthen.com/

There is also McBrides Guns in Austin, TX. https://www.mcbridesguns.com/
Always a few consignment doubles and they stock some current makers new offerings..
We already had J.E. Cauthen & Sons on the map, I added McBrides Guns, thanks for the addition...
Chad, what would be an easy way for us to preserve the link to your map other than finding this thread in the future? This is a great project! Thank you!

A comment on Mid-South guns. My N.C. Vintager buddies and I have been regular customers for 15 to 20 years.

Buyer beware! Phillip is a great guy and will trade, buy and give limited advise but his is an uncurated collection. Great place to find project guns and there are some real gems hidden amongst a lot of beaters
Also,

JJ Perodeau Gunmaker
711 S. 263rd West Avenue
Sand Springs, OK 74063
(580)747-1805
jj@jjperodeau.com
Quote:
Chad, what would be an easy way for us to preserve the link to your map other than finding this thread in the future?

Bookmarking the link in your browser would probably be the easiest. I don't have plans to house the link anywhere, but I will try to revisit and update the map every year or so.
Quote:
JJ Perodeau Gunmaker
711 S. 263rd West Avenue

Looks like he might work out of his house and

"JJ bought the service department of Champlin Firearms, Inc. and began working with partner, George Caswell. In 1998 JJ became a U.S. citizen."

Champlin is listed on the map, but I don't want to include people's that don't have a storefront on the map.
DJ's Loan & Sport, 10412 Beardslee Blvd, Bothell, WA 98011

DJ's always has some nice guns. It's not a large inventory, but I've found decent LCs, a nice Win 12 20g solid rib, and a few others, in this little pawn shop. Worth the stop if you're in the Seattle area.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com