doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rwmckee Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/06/18 12:01 AM
35 years ago (doesn't seem like it) I spent most of a couple years in tidewater Virginia and there was a fantastic gun shop somewhere up around Richmond. I think it was to the south or east as I don't recall driving across or around town to get to it. It seems it was called Greensomething. Huge selection of used guns. I'll be in that area again the end of the month. Anybody familiar with what I'm talking about and whether it's still there?

Roger
Posted By: jmc Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/06/18 12:32 AM
Greentop,, ain’t think you will find that they have a few doubles but last time I was in about 5 yrs ago it was slim pickings. They have moved into a big box space and I believe it is off the Ashland exit on I-95
Posted By: Laxcoach Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/06/18 12:46 AM
Do a search for Green Top for their website.
Posted By: GMCS Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/06/18 01:07 AM
Check out Clark Brothers and Dances sporting goods. I have found pretty good guns in both of these shops. Marvin Dance has some high end guns in the safe not on display. Maybe Green top has some in the back too. Cabela's Richmond may have something in the Gun library. But staff is typical Cabela's big box.
Posted By: eeb Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/06/18 01:37 AM
A very nice AHE Parker was purchased at Greentop this summer. A friend of mine bought a Purdey from them a couple years ago. They get some nice guns in.
Posted By: Boats Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/06/18 01:04 PM
I found my 1 1/2 Grade Ithaca NID 10 at Green Top several years ago. Rough on the rack now nicely restored. It came out of someone’s estate with several other Ithaca’s It’s a big shop with large inventory and turnover. Never know what you might find. They price to sell, diamonds in the rough don't sit long.

Boats
Posted By: Jack71 Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/06/18 02:22 PM
I've bought many guns at Green Top over the past 40+ years, but none lately. I don't see many good doubles there these days, but you never know what you might find on a given day.

Clark Brothers (mentioned above by GMCS) is another good shop, but it is about 80+ miles north of Richmond near Warrenton.
Posted By: jmc Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/06/18 02:40 PM
My suggestion for VA gun shopping would be to call in advance and let them know what you are looking for and that you may be a serious buyer or plan on burning a lot of gas and being disappointed.. I’ve been to them all too over the past 30 yrs (born and raised in VA) and it is definitely not the good old days where there was bound to be something on the racks.. Don’t call on a weekend especially in the fall as they will be swamped with customers.. -jmc
Posted By: rwmckee Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/07/18 02:17 AM
I wasn't going there to look for anything in particular.

I don't even own a double now, am not interested in them, and rarely shoot shotguns at all. I mostly only shoot rifles. I just remembered a shop there somewhere having a big selection of used guns and thought it'd be a good way to kill a couple hours if it were still around.

I did buy my Dad a Flues model a month ago as that's one neither of us had ever owned.
Posted By: rwmckee Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/07/18 03:09 AM
I looked up the website and the location on google maps. I don't think that's the place I'm remembering. I must be confused about the name. 35 years....probably not around now.
Posted By: bobski Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/07/18 06:49 PM
atlee elmont exit off I95 if i remember.
Posted By: GMCS Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/07/18 10:20 PM
If your coming from the south of Richmond. A small place on rt 17 named Winfrees. Sometimes gets a gun in but mostly off face loose foreign jabc. Some rifles
Posted By: GMCS Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/07/18 10:27 PM
Green Top moved from a big old rabbit warren of a store to a fairly new defunct Gander Mountain building. Took a couple of years to get it filled up like one of the big box stores. Plenty of Chinese junk but still some good stuff.
Posted By: bobski Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/08/18 01:20 AM
GT....i miss the old place. even nicer before they expanded on the north side. was a day when they had 6 aisles of guns two racks high. the expensive ones were behind the counter.
never was around when the gas station was the store.
Posted By: bobski Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/08/18 01:21 AM
35 minutes south of richmond in the colonial heights shopping center is another store called dances sporting goods. nice store 1 wall of guns. google it.
Posted By: Boats Re: Gun shops near Richmond, VA - 10/08/18 02:23 AM
Hopkins Gun and Tackle Mechanicsville (SE Richmond) is owned by Greentop employees from the old original store. Worth a stop, not focused on Doubles but occasionally has a few. Vintage Pumps a good source.

Boats
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com