doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: big al1 Boremaster? - 10/11/18 11:59 PM
I am in the market of buying a bore gauge ..I been looking at a few that can measure to 4-bore..so this the reason I am looking at the Boremaster.So can someone give your opinion?
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Boremaster? - 10/12/18 12:25 AM
I bought one about 10 years ago @ the Southern.

+ compact, multi gauge, you can use it to measure chamber length & supposedly to measure wall thickness. Nice to take along to a gun show or vintage event.

- I have difficulty getting repeatable bore & choke diameter readings & I view any reading I get as "approximate".

The bottom line is that if I had it to do over I would probably buy something different.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Boremaster? - 10/12/18 12:45 AM
Bought one several years ago. Not happy with it at all. Do not bother. You can not get repeatable, accurate measurements. If it does not measure the same each time which one is right and how do you know? Too much money for what you get. Tossed it into a box or drawer. I would not recommend it to anyone unless it was free. And then I'd take the reading with a very big grain of salt.
Posted By: Salopian Re: Boremaster? - 10/12/18 12:45 PM
I will not and never will give any item from Robert Louis Company house or workshop room. Made in the Far East by incompetents . Absolute junk .
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Boremaster? - 10/12/18 01:27 PM
At the southern I bought one of their shotgun combo measuring tools, since the price was reasonable and i figured I would get good use out of it. I was pretty turned off by them at the southern last year when they insisted on trying to sell me on the bore measuring tools in addition to the combo gauge. Even though I told them that I had hosford gauges that I was very happy with already and was not interested, he insisted on showing me how to use the equipment and waste my time when I had other places to be instead of taking my money for the combo gauge which was in my hand to give him.

It’s like... I want to buy this, and only this. Don’t try and sell me something that I already said I do not want!
Posted By: gjw Re: Boremaster? - 10/12/18 02:13 PM
Hey all, I had one years ago, still have it (I think). I agree with all the above statements, junk! I even called the company to see what I was doing wrong. The person I talked to (I think it was the owner - not sure however) danced around my questions and tried to sell me their combo tool. The guy got mad when I didn't want to buy the tool and ended the conversation quickly by hanging up.

Buyer beware!

Greg
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: Boremaster? - 10/12/18 03:12 PM
Originally Posted By: salopian
I will not and never will give any item from Robert Louis Company house or workshop room. Made in the Far East by incompetents . Absolute junk .

I had given serious thought to their stock measuring tool, but you and others have convinced be to do otherwise.
Posted By: GMCS Re: Boremaster? - 10/12/18 08:52 PM
I have one and I agree junk not repeatable. I used micrometers for years and do not like it. A simple dial gauge is cheaper and repeats better. A cheaper and more accurate alternative.
Posted By: Salopian Re: Boremaster? - 10/13/18 06:12 AM
Has Robert Louis had a movie made of him?
"Despicable Me"
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Boremaster? - 10/13/18 11:50 AM
Originally Posted By: gjw
Hey all, I had one years ago, still have it (I think). I agree with all the above statements, junk! I even called the company to see what I was doing wrong. The person I talked to (I think it was the owner - not sure however) danced around my questions and tried to sell me their combo tool. The guy got mad when I didn't want to buy the tool and ended the conversation quickly by hanging up.

Great story. Sounds a lot like my experience I described above.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com