doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jeff G. Lube question - 06/14/07 01:51 AM
Hi All,

Would or should you apply grease to some paerts of a sidelock? If so which parts? I have included a photo of the inside of the lock and trigger. All opinions and help appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff G.

Posted By: hotrack Re: Lube question - 06/14/07 10:36 AM
With this sort of thing I just mix up a good 2 stroke fuel mix (top quality 2stroke oil) 1/2 pint to 1 gallon, wash the whole thing in and let the unleaded petrol totally evaporate, the film of oil left is all you need, Heavy greases and oils can make things sluggish, cause double or accidental discharges and all sorts of problems

Hotrack
Posted By: Steve Lawson Re: Lube question - 06/14/07 11:21 AM
I just give it a shot of RemOil or Break Free.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Lube question - 06/14/07 01:16 PM
A periodic and judicious shot of oil will keep it running smooth and free. These bearing points are mostly low speed, relatively light pressure, and relatively low frequency, so lube is not so critical. Hard steel on hard steel is not going to wear for a long time/lot of cycles. Grease is better on more open bearings. You are more likely to over oil and saturate the stock head than to under oil.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Lube question - 06/14/07 03:44 PM
If you are not disassembling the lock, I'd clean by soaking/ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits, acetone, or lacquer thinner, dry with compressed air and then do as the others have suggested with a light oil followed by blowing off the locks with compressed air and wipe exess. I'd put a small dab of your favorite high pressure auto grease on the contact point of the cocking rod to hammer.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Lube question - 06/14/07 04:20 PM
I like a dot of grease on sear notches, cocking lever parts, leaf
spring stirrups and other hard working spots like barrel pivot pins, rear of forend iron. small quantity of good quality oil on pivoting areas like hammer axles, sear pivot screws, etc. As Rocket said, don't overdo it. You don't want oil running into the stock wood. A good reason to store guns muzzle down, in your safe or cabinet.
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Lube question - 06/15/07 11:06 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Jeff G.
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: Lube question - 06/15/07 11:56 PM
What type of gun is that?
Posted By: JM Re: Lube question - 06/16/07 12:50 AM
I would save the grease for the trunions and/or hinge pin. The action looks very nice, what type/model of gun is that?
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Lube question - 06/16/07 03:33 AM
Hi Mark & JM.
It is a gun purchased on this site. M. Fabrizioli Figli 16 ga o/u. There was a long thread about it on this site Custom Italian O/U. It is a 16 ga , I shoot it well. After a little work I am happy with it.

Jeff G.
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: Lube question - 06/16/07 03:11 PM
Here is an interesting trial of anti-corrosion agents for gun use. It has been posted on the BBS before but is well worth refering to frequently.
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

David
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Lube question - 06/17/07 03:41 AM
Interesting test! While you're there, look further, at the attempt to light black powder with electrical sparks. Certainly reinforces reports that concern about static electricity and BP is BS, at least to me.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com