doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell W. Richards boxlock - 11/04/18 07:37 PM
Was curious who this was

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12887

Can't tell which W. Richards this is to look up on the internet gun club site. I dont think its from Liverpool.

Any info or guidance would be great, thanks guys!
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/04/18 11:16 PM
Possibly William Richards of Liverpool.
Karl
Posted By: cadet Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/04/18 11:45 PM
William Richards of Liverpool moved around a bit with several addresses in Liverpool, Preston, even Melbourne (I have 16g single with the Melbourne address); Without having yet checked references, it's not hard to imagine there might have been a Birmingham address at some point.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/04/18 11:54 PM
I'll check his info on the gun club site. Didn't Clabrough trade under W. Richards?
Posted By: ed good Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/05/18 12:04 AM
if it has belgian proofs, it is most likely not a william richards, but a belgian made knock off...sorta like a w. moore or a number of other well known and respected english brand guns with belgian proofs...creative marketing is not a new profession...

ever heard of a barker?
Posted By: 2-piper Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/05/18 02:15 AM
I have a W Richards side lever hammer double with Birmingham proofs which I have been told was most likely Built by Clabrough. It is in very bad condition, I keep it because it was my GrandFathers gun. From its appearance, it was a decent gun originally, not a "Best" by any means but decent.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/05/18 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: ed good
if it has belgian proofs, it is most likely not a william richards, but a belgian made knock off...sorta like a w. moore or a number of other well known and respected english brand guns with belgian proofs...creative marketing is not a new profession...

ever heard of a barker?

Only you could look at the photos of that gun, and come up with Belgium, ed. That has been a running theme with you today, starting with calling an Italian gun Spanish, and, now, an English gun Belgian.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/05/18 12:39 PM
There are several Richards with the initial of W. from Birmingham. Hard to tell which one without more information that may include dates.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/05/18 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
There are several Richards with the initial of W. from Birmingham. Hard to tell which one without more information that may include dates.

Would the label on the receiver reveal more, W.Richards LTD? That would be Richards from Liverpool wouldn't it?
Posted By: ed good Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/05/18 01:07 PM
another clue revealing guns origin, would be the presence or absence of a makers name and address stamped on the top rib...the absence of which is an indicator of non english origin...
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/06/18 03:51 AM
If Charlie Pflueger at Hill Rod & Gun says it's a Birmingham gun I'd bet it is English make.

I visited his shop in Bozeman back in 2006 and every gun I looked at was exactly as described on his website. He didn't have anything I was looking for but if he did I'd have no hesitation to buy from him.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/06/18 04:22 AM
There were a lot of Belgian made W Richards made. However, I don't believe anyone has questioned this one being a Birmingham gun other than Mr Ed.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/06/18 09:57 AM
RARiddell,

Were you thinking duck gun for your intended purpose? It looks like it would make a great one.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/06/18 10:55 AM
That's what I was thinking, a wildfowling gun to round it out. Not sure exactly what I want, but that's the idea. The gun in question is a Liverpool William Richards.
Posted By: ed good Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/06/18 03:00 PM
and then there is this:

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2576
Posted By: ed good Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/06/18 03:09 PM
and it is wonderful what one can stumble upon using google:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=422842&page=all
Posted By: RARiddell Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/06/18 04:37 PM
Well Ed, I guess better late than never! Thanks!
Posted By: Nick. C Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/07/18 09:26 PM
I'd guess it was William Richards of Liverpool. They had a shop in Preston too.
The action is plainer but near identical to the one I have in my cabinet, for a bit of their history check their website, the new owners are based in York
Posted By: RARiddell Re: W. Richards boxlock - 11/07/18 11:26 PM
I sent them a message, hopefully I hear back!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com