doublegunshop.com - home
I don't seem to be able to find commonly referred to label names for the major gauges vs. constriction in thousandths, just for the major gauges. As an example--.029" in a 16 might be considered full or very full? thank you. Gil
Good question. How about what the numerical choke equates to also. ie 4, 10 on a 16 gauge.
This is the best on line chart

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

Boats
Thanks Boats for this link. I have often wondered about the same question that was asked and am now glad I have found the definitive answer!! I am printing this page in the link as soon as this is typed. Thanks again. I never have to wonder about this site bringing us needed information!!
Thank you Boats. That is exactly what I was looking for. Gil
Yes, a big thanks for the chart.

It nicely shows that there are no hard-set rules or formulas for arriving at a certain particular pattern density.
A couple of things worthy of note I think. One the American designation of Skeet is the same constriction as the English call ImpCyl. Two the American ImpCyl = the English quarter (¼) choke.
Also, one question. Has anyone ever seen a factory barrel marked "Extra Full"?
In around 65 years of fooling with shotguns, I cannot recall ever seeing one so marked. I know that some at least of the Poly Chokes had an Extra Full setting & can't recall for sure if the Cutts had an extra full tube or not, but have never seen an original barrel marked other than Full, except of course the more open chokes.
You are welcome , think I first found that site on this forum

Boats
The problem with the various charts is that different manufacturers--even in the same country (USA, for example) have used different constrictions as their standard for a given choke in a given gauge. And in some cases, those constrictions differ significantly. Jack O'Connor provides a chart of the standard constrictions used by Browning, Remington, and Winchester. 12ga modified, for example:
Browning: .024
Remington: .018
Winchester: .016

Those who've measured chokes on Belgian Brownings have usually found that they're almost always on the tight side based on what the choke marking tells you.
Here are the barrel specs from Ithaca Gun Co. --

Looking at 12 gauge constrictions from this Ithaca chart; full (4) = .036", IM (3) = .027", Mod (2) = .018", IC (1) = .009" & Cyl = 0.000 (0) Note the numbers in parenthesis are the old Ithaca numerical choke markings.

Doesn't look that much different to Browning Specs to me & again the IC choke is equal to British & Continental ¼ choke. There, these chokes would be called Full, 3/4, ½, ¼ & Cyl. Note that 3/4 of .036 = .027, ½ of .036 = .018 & ¼ of .036 = .009 which matches exactly with the listed choke diameters. IC other than in the US generally meant from 003" to .006" of constriction. It was meant to improve the performance of a cylinder bore without materially reducing its spread, just help even out the pattern. It was a great improvement with the old card & felt wadding of the day.
I've often referred to the Briley charts.
https://www.briley.com/c-447-choke-charts.aspx
The 12 ga. Briley chart is my go-to reference. I memorized the .005" steps many years ago. It has worked well for me, and since i shoot CompNChoke tubes in most of my screw-choked guns, it matches their designations, too.

If Briley's chart is right for .410, what would they call the "Full" choke tube for my FAIR Iside that has .034" ? shocked

SRH
Stan, .034 in 410 is about what my friend's Perazzi had for the tightest barrel. I have a Beschi NID with similar constriction.

I havent patterned mine enough to know if it shoots tighter than an more common. 020 full choke.
I haven't either, but I will, as I have these that came with the gun.

C - -.006"
IC - +.003"
M - +.012"
IM - +.023"
F - +.034"

I did shoot the +.034", once the other day, with a 3/4 oz. WW load, on the plate just to see how tight it was, and it is truly tight. Next outing with it I will try it against the +.023" for comparison. One thing interesting I did see............. the -.006" (Briley calls it a diffusion choke) threw a beautiful first barrel quail pattern out to 20 yards.

SRH
I've always preferred thinking in terms of the numerical constriction, rather than an arbitrary name whose specific definition is not always the same everywhere.
Originally Posted By: canvasback
I've always preferred thinking in terms of the numerical constriction, rather than an arbitrary name whose specific definition is not always the same everywhere.

Properly, choke designations are indicators of pattern performance (percentage of pellet strikes in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards), not a specific constriction. Even using that standard there is considerable variation in how specific loads perform in a given choke designation in any barrel.

I have always spec'ed choke work by supplying ammunition of my choice and specifying pattern percentage to be achieved. This requires care and testing by the 'smith doing the work. Much easier, of course, to specify constriction, which relieves the 'smith of the tedium of cutting, checking, cutting, checking, etc. He need only produce the constriction desired and he's done.

Hard to find a 'smith these days who will bore a gun to the pattern specs provided, rather than just cut to a given constriction.
Originally Posted By: canvasback

My friends and I do that too, James. When we shoot sporting clays together and someone asks one of them "what they shot on that bird", they will answer a "5", or a "10", etc.

"Course, I joke with them a lot because I shoot two fixed "20s" in my MX 8. Sometimes we will look at a bird, or a pair, that will be really close and I will mumble "Hope I've got enough choke for that". Other times they will discuss a presentation and one will say "A "0" will kill that". I will reply "Maybe, but I'm sure a "20" will. grin

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com