doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mark Copeland Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 02:29 PM

""""The shank and blade are made from S-2 pre-hardened steel which has been engineered specifically for use in the HardstahlSet. The range of sizes in the 20 piece HardstahlTM Set will fit virtually any gun screw slot. The 20 screwdrivers are individually numbered and sized accordingly. The hollow ground tips are easily adjusted to fit any screw slot that is not standard.""""

Well, unfortunately the turnscrews do not fit ANY screw on ANY gun I own, not even the great RBL. I tried to persuade CSMC to fit a set of drivers for the RBL but no such luck. All drivers that are of the correct width for a given screw are to thick to work. I do not possess the necessary wheels to do this fitting correctly.

What is your suggestion?
Posted By: mike campbell Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 02:44 PM
Mark,

I can think of only 2 options, get rid of the set or modify it. How much do you have invested? For $6 you can buy a shaping stone from Brownells and customize it to suit your needs....

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=1368
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 02:52 PM
If you use a grinding head on a Dremel tool, you can do a pretty good job of shaping your screwdriver heads. Just go slow and in a minute or two, you have it.
Posted By: CASEY C._dup1 Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 03:36 PM
Screwdrivers are not to dificult to re-shape as Daryl said, but
Turn-screws I am not so sure.
Unless You live in England.
Casey
Posted By: Deltaboy Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 05:32 PM
I bought a set with numerous bits. Fits everything I have run across so far. I think it was a Miller Eng. set. Different widths and thickness.
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 05:35 PM
I would send them back to Galazan and get the complete set including the thin tips from Brownells. They don't look as nice but they work on American and English guns. Having tools that don't work is frustating.
JMHO

Regards, Gordon
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 05:51 PM
I agree with Gordon. The thin tip set from Brownells is excellent, though even they will not fit the tiny European slots often encountered.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 07:02 PM
Unfortunately I found that most sets you buy, only a few of them fit the sizes I need. What I do is buy cheap 4"-6" chrome shank Valadium steel screwdrivers and grind them to fit my screws usuing a dial vernier to get the tip correct for the slot in the screw. Most of the time you have to de-mangnatize the screwdriver after grinding them.
I grind them by using the side of the wheel, so that I can keep them parallel to each other.*
Most screwdrivers you buy even if they fit are not right for gun screws. Most screwdriver tips are wedge shaped so only a fraction of the tip is grabbing the slot.

*you should never use the side of the wheel for grinding, but I do it lightly and it is only removing a little metal.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 10:40 PM
Exactly which dremel grinder do you use?
Do you put the bit in a vice?

GDU
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Fitting turn-screws - 06/16/07 11:41 PM
GregDU, I put the standard dremel tool in the vise and hold the screwdriver, the dremel has always been jumpy in my hands.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com