doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Roberts OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 01:22 AM
Just had a nice snort of Woodford Reserve. Smoooooth.
Whatchall drankin'?
JR
Posted By: eeb Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 01:34 AM
Treat yourself to some Jefferson’s Ocean for Christmas. It’s so good you won’t believe it.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 01:36 AM
Charter
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 01:51 AM
1792, or

Giant Texas, or

George Dickel

...............occasionally with a dash of Angostura bitters.

SRH
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 01:55 AM
I have a few on tap always...

Woodford Reserve
Four Roses Single Barrel
High West American Prairie
Larceny
Basil Hayden
Eagle Rare
Russels Reserve 10 yr
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Also...not a Bourbon technically but close enough = *Dickel #12 good too!

Have these as well not on fave list...
Willetts
Bulleit
Longbranch

This does not include the Rye's or Irish Whiskeys.....;-)

I do realize this is off topic and I'll probably delete it but for now...I'm good!
Merry Christmas.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Weber
I do realize this is off topic and I'll probably delete it but for now...I'm good!
Merry Christmas.

You're a good sport, Dave. Thanks for joining in. Merry CHRISTmas to you, too.

SRH

Oh,....... Buffalo Trace and Van Winkle are overrated, IMO.

SRH
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:15 AM
Cheap and good-Henry McKenna. My favorite for the money-Weller Antique 107, but often scarce.
JR
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:15 AM
My wife made me an eggnog and bourbon last weekend. She would have used perhaps half a shot of sauce (that is the nature of the girl) so, it was heavy on “nog” and light on “sauce. It was good. No idea what the brand was. Of either.
The first hard liquor I’ve had in most of forty years.
Might have another on New Year’s Eve.
Might not.
Merry Christmas to all.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:21 AM
I love eggnog. I have been known to buy a quart carton and drink the whole thing for breakfast after a duck hunt.

SRH
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:23 AM
Dang son...
JR
Posted By: keith Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:23 AM
I'm drinking Knob Creek Single Barrel right now, but have about 8 or 10 small batch bourbons I haven't cracked yet on the shelf.

Makers Mark, Elijah Craig, and Old Grandad have always been good mid-level standby's. I started drinking bourbon in college, and decided then that there was no need to ever drink any other hard liquor. It's the all-American drink, and it is part of one of the 7 basic food groups since it is predominately made from corn. Back in college days, being on a tight budget, I learned that Echo Springs was the best inexpensive Bourbon... produced by Heaven Hill. Back then it was 7 year old bourbon, later reduced to a 4 year old, and a bit rougher.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:28 AM
After the birds and gun are cleaned, the dog cared for, and the hot shower there's nothing as satisfying as one's preferred drink relaxing in the gun room reliving the day's hunt.
Karl
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:31 AM
Evan Williams is the best inexpensive bourbon I've ever found.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I love eggnog. I have been known to buy a quart carton and drink the whole thing for breakfast after a duck hunt.

SRH

And break wind for the next day and a half. Wife hates it when I do that.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:34 AM
Col. E H Taylor....100 proof barreled in bond. The cheaper version runs about $40 to me it's as smooth as the $80 bottle.
Comparable in taste to Pappy 10 year old.

This year I had my pick of one bottle of the Buffalo Trace antique collection and I chose George T Stagg.

Im not crazy about regular Buffalo Trace but Pappy Van Winkle is not over rated. I'm not crazy about the 12 year old but the 10, 15 and 20 year old Pappy is very smooth never tasted the 23 year old.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:34 AM

SRH

And break wind for the next day and a half. Wife hates it when I do that.

SRH

Rotflmao
JR
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:39 AM
I like EW too, Stan. I drank a LOT of Old Charter 7 yo until it suddenly disappeared from the shelves a few years ago. Has since become fairly plentiful, but I've moved on...
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
After the birds and gun are cleaned, the dog cared for, and the hot shower there's nothing as satisfying as one's preferred drink relaxing in the gun room reliving the day's hunt.
Karl

Y'all boys be in high cotton, having a "gun room" in the house! Nice.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:43 AM
Need to give some Giant Texas 80 proof a try. It gives new meaning to smoooooth.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemicallef/2018/10/28/giant-texas-bourbon-is-worth-a-sip/#2957fc314e29

SRH
Posted By: LeFusil Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:44 AM
Y’all are gonna flame me.....but I want you to know that I currently have on the bar shelf some absolutely top shelf stuff...mostly single malt scotches...Glenmorangie, The Balvenie, Edradour, etc. I really enjoy good booze. I also have some nice bourbons and some very smooth Ryes. When I grab a bourbon just to enjoy, or to make a classic cocktail....now wait for it....I like Ezra Brooks. :-). Go ahead, laugh all you want. I really like it I pretty much like any bourbon that comes out of Heaven Hill....I think most legit bourbons are of good quality.
I’m also a sucker for decent Irish whiskey...Tullamore DEW & Bushmills.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:47 AM
No laughing here. Ezra Brooks is sorely underrated. Nothing wrong with it at all. Right there with Evan Williams, IMO.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:47 AM
Boy yall like some nasty whiskey...how much is Giant Texas ?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:50 AM
My favorite thing about the "dead of winter" is pouring a finger of bourbon, grabbing my coat, and heading outside at dusk with my little female Westy "Arly" as the chill falls, walking around in the yard listening to the evening sounds, a dog barking in the distance, a few children late at play in the neighborhood, maybe a deer hunter's lone rifle shot in the lake swamp nearby, traffic on the bridge South of town hitting the expansion joints "ba-bip, ba-bip"...peace.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:53 AM
Giant Texas is hard stuff for some dealers to get. The 80 proof is even harder. The 91 is much more common, it seems. I think my local guy is at $20.99, but he prices under most places. Not very expensive, just not well known. I won a bottle of the 80 with a raffle ticket last spring at a sporting clays shoot for the Ronald McDonald House, and was really surprised.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:54 AM
I had a bottle of 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle last year but a fellow offered me $1200 for it and I let it go.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:54 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Boy yall like some nasty whiskey...

Nah, my Grandaddy did, tho'...............Old Crow.

The Van Winkle underwhelmed me. Just sayin'.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:56 AM
I've drank some Old Crow years ago chased with Southern Comfort...

Sheww....

Get a bottle of Col. E H Taylor and get back with me.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:59 AM
The fellow I hunt on in middle Tennessee has a big gun safe in his well house packed full of different years of Pappy Van Winkle along with other hard to get whiskeys. I was scared the first time I saw inside...it was a whiskey avalanche waiting to happen.

If you don't mind me asking where did you try some Pappy ?

The reason I ask is because people will pay pretty good money for empty Pappy bottles and rumor is bars are not beyond pouring something else in an empty bottle.
Posted By: steve voss Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:00 AM
Fellows, I retired into a part-time job in my local liquor outlet as the whiskey expert. Trust me, Remus Repeal Reserve is a very lightly known whiskey that is absolutely fabulous. It runs around $75 and is well worth every penny. It is my favorite "special" whiskey.

My $.02
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:00 AM
Stan,
Gun rooms happen when the kids move out of the house. My son's room was turned into one. The carpet wasn't even cold after he moved when I moved my stuff in!
While not a bourbon, I enjoy a Drambuie on the rocks with a pipeful of blended tobacco.
Karl
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:13 AM
i had some Pappy one evening after a quail hunt in early 2014, here in Jawja. I was a guest of a major energy brokerage corporation for the hunt.

I don't go to bars.

SRH

Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:21 AM
My brother and I made something of a study of the industry.

It's well worth visiting KY for the tours.

Realize, their goal is to extract money from you but they do treat their visitors well and are reasonably forthcoming with information.

It is a huge industry. They actually cooperate with each other to an extent, and there are many different ways to make and finish corn whiskey. I enjoy and appreciate most.

House grog here: Evan Williams Black. It cannot be beaten for an everyday table bourbon.

Favorite bar none: Baker's. It has intense barrel flavor due the maturation strategy. It's a style I very much like, not for everyone.

Favorite wheater: Old Weller. Buffalo trace makes the best wheat bourbons, easily beating out Maker's, although I'll never refuse a Maker's Mark.

Best Value in a premium: Evan Williams Single Barrel. This is what they used to sell as Elijah Craig until the bourbon boom. Craig is now 'no age statement' and to be avoided.

Woodford has it's place, as does Wild Turkey. Four Roses Small Batch is delicious, Buffalo Trace is a model for what a good bourbon should be.

I avoid products from converters, or anyone who does not own a still. Likewise 'serviced' brands. 'Craft' bourbons are a waste of money and time. You cannot improve on perfection, something I've learned the hard way.

A case in point is a swill labeled 'Lexington'.

Fool me once, etc.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:27 AM
If I could have one whiskey it would be George T Stagg it runs around 130 proof...Smooth
Posted By: BUCK2 Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:29 AM
Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 120 proof

Clyde Mays Straight Bourbon 92 proof

Wild Turkey Rare Bread 116 proof

Henry McKenna 10yr 100 proof
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:41 AM
Stagg is a Buffalo Trace product in short supply like the line they have serviced for Van Winkle since Stitzel Weller closed.

Blanton's is actually obtainable and is a good single barrel from the very same distillate as Stagg. They age it in a metal sided warehouse that's heated with steam in the winter so they can bring it to market sooner.

It's largely a matter of what you want to pay.

Very good bourbon can be had at the $30 price point from many sources.

You just have to ask yourself if the substantial extra cost of a super premium is worth it to you.

Personally, except for special occasions, I usually select a moderate priced product from a known good producer. I generally insist that it be 86 proof or higher, since I'm no fan of limp whiskey.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:41 AM
I don't think I've had a drink since turkey season...might be about time.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:45 AM
Oak Park, GA twice run corn liquor. "Unlabeled", and usually in Mason jars, but available through a certain contact. Spring water is no smoother. Oh, and it ain't red.

Get it from the wrong contact in Oak Park, at $20/gal., in old milk jugs, and you'll think it was made with old car batteries, which it might have been.

Point is, know who you're dealing with.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:58 AM
Where I came from they called it "Wildcat"...I lost my taste for shine 40 plus years ago.

The car battery in the mash barrel trick was used in cold weather to help the mash work...I actually know a Game Warden that found a still and the blue 55 gal plastic mash barrels buried in the ground contained car batteries.

Until then I always thought it was just a rumor....I do recall hearing about bad whiskey killing a few people from lead poisoning when I was a kid.
Then rumor was it was caused by car batteries or using old radiators in the distilling process.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 04:14 AM
I love eggnog. I have been known to buy a quart carton and drink the whole thing... SRH

Me too, but I don't need a special occasion like breakfast or any kind of hunt. Basically any time the spirit moves me... and yes, it is good with bourbon any time.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 04:21 AM

Oak Park, GA twice run corn liquor. "Unlabeled", and usually in Mason jars, but available through a certain contact. Spring water is no smoother. Oh, and it ain't red.

Get it from the wrong contact in Oak Park, at $20/gal., in old milk jugs, and you'll think it was made with old car batteries, which it might have been.

Point is, know who you're dealing with.

SRH

Don’t let your pastor see that post, Stan. Unless he’s your contact then I guess it doesn’t matter.

Where I came from they called it “Wildcat”...

We call it “Vodka” around here.

I read Keith Richards got sober. Good for him.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 04:34 AM
Hank might eat cornbread but don't believe that other crap...

I was duck hunting in Arkansas and it was colder than a witches titty. Boat broke thick ice getting in there. As the hunt was winding down this older gentleman across the flooded timber said "come over hea boy and get you some of this transmission fluid"....

It looked like transmission fluid in the jar to me.

Blackberry brandy it sure warmed you up.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 04:36 AM
My pastor and I don't interpret some Scripture the same. I take Matt. 11:18 and Matt. 15:11 literally, as I try to do with all Scripture. Some don't. But, if you do you should take the last part of Matt. 15:11 very seriously.

SRH
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 04:37 AM
Observations from KY:

They don't mess around when they make the stuff. This is done on an industrial scale even for the so called 'handmade' brands.

Maker's Mark will show you a quaint little still operation and want you to believe it's their sole plant. In truth, since they are on literally every bar in the country they run a huge operation out of sight to the tourists.

The interior of a rickhouse smells like heaven. They could rent recliner time in one.

The bottling line at Jim Beam is a blur. Their still (one of 2) is 60 feet high and three tall men couldn't get their arms around it. The distillate runs out of there like a firehose.

The bottleneck in the production line is cooperage. Beam alone barrels 1,000 barrels a day. They represent about 40% of the industry.

There are 8 million barrels aging in KY.

It's a money printing machine. The various taxes represent about half the final cost. The distiller/bottler has a couple bucks into each bottle, they make a couple bucks on each, the rest is distribution and tax - and advertising.

Beam is owned by the Japanese (Suntory), as is Four Roses (Kirin). Wild Turkey is owned by Groupo Campari (Italy).

Woodford is made using Scottich style pot stills, three in series.

Fermenting vessels are 10,000 gallons or so. They pitch hundreds of gallons of working yeast into the wort at the start and it's fermenting like a rolling boil in short order. They have chilling coils to keep it from getting hot enough to kill the yeast. Fermentation is done in 3 days, unlike beer which takes maybe 10 days. The idea is to keep the 'distillers beer' from being contaminated.

Then it's off to the still which are mostly made by a company called Vendome. They are stunningly beautiful pieces of metalwork.

If you like our national drink, you should make it point to visit Kentucky and see it made. The tours all exit to the gift shop. They don't compete with the package stores in price, but they do have special releases available at the distillery.

If I had to pick one tour it would be Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. The tour was very good, free, and the tour guides are not as scripted as some of the others. They directly answer intelligent questions.

I'll drink to that.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 04:45 AM
My buddy went to a tasting at Buffalo trace distillery. Got one of the Van Winkles to sign a bottle of 23 year old Pappy he brought with him the Van Winkle fellow died a few years later. It'll sell for 3 or 4 grande now.

Last year they did a special release of 25 year old Pappy I heard it went for close to 30 grande a bottle.

I was hunting at Cabin Bluff in Georgia....fellow offered me some Cognac claimed it was $1500 a bottle.

I told him Thanks but I don't care to try it I might like it.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 05:14 AM
In 2015 we were there when they were bottling the 20 year version of Pappy.

That is done by hand. There was a small assembly line where they were hand affixing the labels and packaging the 3 bottle cases. They are very proud of that product and put real effort into it.

The whole year supply was 11 barrels, which sounds like quite a bit until you realize that after 20 years there are only a few gallons left in each barrel.

The supply should be a bit larger in coming years since the supply of Weller is so tight. They are letting it grow up into something they can charge essentially what they want for.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 05:32 AM
My buddy got a few bottles of Weller 12 this year...I can take it or leave it. Rumor is they manipulate the barrels around to get the product they want...if the Weller tastes good enough it might turn into Pappy.

I heard they can't touch Col. EH Taylor because it's in a bonded warehouse ?
Posted By: keith Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 12:07 PM
Boy yall like some nasty whiskey...

Nah, my Grandaddy did, tho'...............Old Crow.

SRH

Yep, one bottle many years ago was enough for me. Tasted like cheap whiskey poured over Kingsford charcoal that had been doused with charcoal lighter fluid.

It would probably be OK as a shotgun bore cleaner to dissolve plastic wad residue though... which puts this thread right on topic.
Posted By: GLS Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 12:14 PM
A buddy sold an empty Pappy bottle for close to $400 on ebay. Gil
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 12:17 PM
Old Crow was meant for one thing...to get you drunk.

My older brother had a cool old hot rod in the early 1960s....it was a black 1949 2 door Ford.
It had about "Old Crow" in about 3 in. red and white lettering on the front finders.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 12:51 PM
Not a bourbon, but I have recently been enjoying Old Overholt Bonded 100 proof rye. Not a high dollar investment by any means, but very enjoyable in my opinion.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 01:11 PM
Rye whiskey and Scotch to me is kinda like liking sardines...

I like sardines but not Scotch or Rye Whiskey.

Scotch does have the kOol factor going for it....I got a buddy that sipps Scotch when he needs to get a kOOl feeling.

There is no way in hell he could like it for the taste.

Some will tell you Scotch has an acquired taste...

Taste to me like it came out of Dollar Tree.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 02:53 PM
The Old Crow brand is currently owned by Jim Beam.

It is exactly the same as Jim Beam white label except Crow is 3 years old, Beam is 4.

Bourbon barrels are only used once. The majority of the used ones are sold to the Scots who mature malt whisky in them.

Scotch is a whole 'nother subject.

Rye was the original American whiskey. There are various styles of rye too.

It's a big wide whiskey world with quite a lot of variety. Scotch, in particular, shows vast regional differences.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:25 PM
I am a fan of Woodford Reserve and of Michter's. The latter used to be distilled in Pennsylvania, near Carlisle. The maker was acquired or went belly up (stories differ) and it disappeared for a while but has reappeared in the PA state store system in the last few years.

The saddest part of the "belly up" story is that all of the product in the cask was destroyed, which is why I am more likely to believe the "acquired and moved" story.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 03:27 PM
Make mine a wee splash of Scotch and some ice. Good Christmas topic...Geo
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 04:54 PM
I'm more of a fan of single malt Scotch. Glenkinchie when I'm feeling a lighter bodied drink, Lagavuilin 15 yr for the heavy smokey taste
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 04:56 PM
I guess I have become too easy to please. Bourbon, single Malt Scotch, Rye all can be enjoyed. For that matter beer can give me cheer. The company enjoyed which just adds to each, as does drinking to absent friends. Just too many absent friends.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 05:04 PM
Jon,
Very well said, and sadly, exactly how it is.
Karl
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 05:06 PM
"There are 8 million barrels aging in KY."

My son works at the newer Bardstown Bourbon Co. as their Creative Director. Bardstown Bourbon Co. was established in 2014 and they just finished their 100,000 barrel this week. They are going to be the largest bourbon distiller in the world.
We were visiting him in November and gave us a tour of the place, very interesting, we also went to a few of the other distilleries close by and Makers Mark was one. Their Master Distiller, Steve Nally used to be with Makers Mark. He is a hunter also.
When we were walking around Makers Mark I noticed that most of the trees trunks were black, along with some fencing. You could rub it off and I asked my son what that was from and he said it is a mold from the barrels of bourbon, but is not harmfull. Makers Mark rick houses are black so you don't see the mold but others you can see the mold forming usually starts at the bottom.
Their rick houses are five stories and I forget how many barrels, each barrel is 53 gallons and the barrels can only be used once for bourbon but can be sold and used for other whiskies. Also found out the first stage in making bourbon is beer, and then goes on to these massive stainless tanks that ferment the yeast. At one stage it looks like water and is 140 proof, guide asked us to put a finger in and taste it, no thanks.
Posted By: battle Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 05:13 PM
I'm particular to Woodford Reserve since I live here. Its the best all around bourbon on the market. I believe that, even if I didn't live here. Makers Mark, Four Roses are all good. But my favorite is probably Weller. I live in the middle of Bourbon country and it's hard to get. Last spring was in Tulsa for the gun show. A friend and I bought out two liquor stores of all there Weller. You just cant get it here at the price that you can other states.

jOe.... said something foolish about Buffalo Trace using Weller for Pappy, that's bullshit.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 06:02 PM
BT runs their wheat mash bill for a period of time each year.

It is barrelled the same as their rye bourbon mash bill and stored in various locations around the property.

Some is sold as WL Weller, some is sold as the various Van Winkle brands.

It's all the same distillate... at the start of the maturation process.

It's up to the blenders to select and batch a consistent product.

Wheated bourbon stands log ageing better than the rye spiced variety. The problem is that the older it gets, the lees of it there is.

Maker's Mark disagrees with all of this, and they pull their barrels when they judge them to be 'fully mature'. Best bet is at about five and a half years. Their style, their take on the best way to make the product.

Do they use Weller for Pappy? Of course not, but it's identical when it comes off the still. The art and science is in the ageing and blending. From long experience they know how each rickhouse performs and apply that knowledge to batch a consistent product.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 06:30 PM
Originally Posted By: battle

jOe.... said something foolish about Buffalo Trace using Weller for Pappy, that's bullshit.

I have buddy in Kentucky that knows whiskey as good as any...him and others that don't know him say Buffalo Trace has diverted Weller 12 to Pappy Van Winkle....call it what you want.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 06:38 PM
Markers Mark is no where near Buffalo Trace products in taste.
Posted By: tw Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 06:45 PM
Well, there's some o' that stuff that can make a feller shake like a wet dog returnin' to the blind, that's for shur[Remington spellin'?];-)

Have found some of the pricier bourbons to be over-rated.. to my way of tasting anyway.

Inexpensive good tastin' day in & out bourbon is William Evans black label.

I'm right fond of Old Forrester & soda [that would be seltzer in some places or club soda in others, just so ya don't get confused] when an ice cold restorative is needed at the end of a hot summer's day. Weller can be subbed as can Dickel black label, but it ain't the same taste and there's dif.'s between those two. I like & enjoy both of them. Weller & soda more so than Dickel, but Dickel makes better juleps and Old Fashions, IMHO. Just saying.

Another inexpensive whiskey I sometimes enjoy for its taste is Triple Crown; a N. American blended whiskey from Weston, MO. I think of it as a pretty well kept secret. Goes for roughly $27/1.75L in my neck of the woods, sometimes slightly less! Good over ice; add a tiny splork of water, if you wish. 80% neutral grain spirits [Wodka, if you prefer] & 20% bourbon whiskey; 2yrs old according to the label. Don't sound like much when stated that way, but I've found it to be a good stand alone libation. Tastes vary, much as opinions about guns and dogs do. I'd not wish it any other way.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

I'll have to let my bass-ackwards entry stand & acknowledge Mr. Bill Ferguson's polite ref toit:-)

As someone once said, "Dyslexic's untie!"
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 06:52 PM

I have buddy in Kentucky that knows whiskey as good as any...him and others that don't know him say Buffalo Trace has diverted Weller 12 to Pappy Van Winkle....call it what you want.

That makes perfect sense considering the dearth of Weller lately.

The last of the stocks from Stitzel Weller were used up a number of years ago and the 'boom' especially for Pappy was unforseen.

Does this mean a drop in quality for Pappy?

No. It is the very same stuff as Weller is batched from, and they just have to let it grow up a little longer.

Remember that age statements are minimums. If a rick of wheat whiskey is stored in a rickhouse where it's underperforming (they taste the stuff on a regular basis while it's maturing) they can always let it age longer or even move it.

Pappy will be the same regardless of vintage and if they have more to sell, perhaps the price will eventually return from the stratosphere.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 07:09 PM
Only whiskey that you can be sure of what you get...is whiskey that's from a bonded warehouse.
Posted By: keith Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 07:24 PM
Only whiskey that you can be sure of what you get...is whiskey that's from a bonded warehouse.

That sounds kinda deceptive in a way... kinda like paying a gunsmith to do some work on your gun, and later finding out he farms out much of the work.

David Williamson mentioned Bardstown Distillery, and Old Bardstown is another bourbon that gives a lot of bang for your buck. It is a very good choice when the only person you are trying to impress is yourself.
Posted By: King Brown Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 08:15 PM
Woodford Reserve is what American friends bring to me.

Interesting how many members are drinking Irish whiskEy.

Scotch is whisky.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 08:16 PM
When reading in my man cave/gun room, my drink of preference is a gin tonic. Call me a light weight, but after the hunt, we toast the birds with cinnamon or blackberry flavored "Bird Dog" whiskey.
(click on photo to enlarge)
Posted By: battle Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 08:20 PM

You have one buddy. I probably know dozens of people who work at Buffalo Trace. And another that work at Woodford Reserve. Not to mention one of my best friends(whos a purchaser) work for Evan Williams in Bardstown.
Posted By: battle Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 08:23 PM
Markers Mark is no where near Buffalo Trace in taste.

LOL laugh
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 08:24 PM
Someone should put in a word for Evan Williams.
Posted By: battle Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

That makes perfect sense considering the dearth of Weller lately.

The last of the stocks from Stitzel Weller were used up a number of years ago and the 'boom' especially for Pappy was unforseen.

Does this mean a drop in quality for Pappy?

No. It is the very same stuff as Weller is batched from, and they just have to let it grow up a little longer.

Remember that age statements are minimums. If a rick of wheat whiskey is stored in a rickhouse where it's underperforming (they taste the stuff on a regular basis while it's maturing) they can always let it age longer or even move it.

Pappy will be the same regardless of vintage and if they have more to sell, perhaps the price will eventually return from the stratosphere.

Weller is very popular here in Bourbon country...
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 08:42 PM
Weller 12 is good the rest is abut like old crow
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 09:33 PM
When we were at Bardstown Bourbon Co. we had lunch in their restaurant, Bottle and Bond which is becoming very poplar. The food is excellent and the chef is top rated. I happened to look at their selection of drinks and they carry some Historic blends that date back to the 19th century. There was one that was $1500 a pour, nice to be that rich.
They do have a Limited Edition called Collaboration. These are two bourbons aged 10 years and then aged 18 months. One is in a brandy barrel (113 proof) and the other is in a Muscat Mistelle (unfermented grape juice)barrel (94 proof). They are finished at Copper and Kings American Brandy Co. They are sold at both places and a few high end places.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 10:48 PM
I'm not much on the flavored whiskeys or mixing whiskey with coke or anything with the exception of one cube of ice.

All the beer I've ever drank would fit in two 5 gallon buckets....I thought beer was for horses.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/19/18 10:53 PM

Here's 5 of the finest whiskeys 4 of which most will never get to drink....with the exception of the bottle on the left at times it's hard to find. Col. E.H. Taylor Small Batch is the best $40 dollars you'll ever spend on whiskey.
About $460 retail for the four...the day you bought them they would resell for well over $1000.00 dollars.

Check out the proof and it's not hot.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 12:29 AM
While bourbons and scotch can be pricey they are cheap compared to some wines. My late brother in law had a win collection that was into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. One of his favorites was only a little over a hundred dollars a bottle. They all were wasted on me as wine just does not do much for me. I can’t taste that Smokey, fruity, vanilla, apricot, sweetness that a true wine lover can. Heck I like things cold which is the exact worst way to drink most wines except white wines.
Posted By: jmc Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 01:17 AM
I very recently discovered Ben Milam [bourbon] whiskey which is made in Blanco, TX and is darn good. A friend from VA got a bottle as a gift and liked it so much he immediately asked me to get him a couple more bottles. They do not sell it outside of TX right now. Too small I suppose. I went directly to their small distillery on th edge of town and got the ‘tour’ and was worth every penny and such great people. If you’re a bourbon drinker and find yourself in the great state of Texas, it can be found at many of the usual liquor stores.

The Pappy Van Winkle cult status is all about ‘status’ IMO. I just threw my empty bottle in the recycling bin. Oh well, somebody missed out on defrauding a friend or customer..
Posted By: jmc Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 01:28 AM
FYI, for any Virginian’s that are interested, the VABC holds an annual lottery to purchase several vintages of the limited quantity of Pappy. Same buddy mentioned above won last year and got the 23 yr old for about $250. Must be a VA resident to enter...and best hurry as it ends just before Christmas I think. He’s the same guy who implored to bring him a couple of bottles of Ben Milam when I head back up for some duck gunning next month.. I will happily oblige.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 01:43 AM
"Heck I like things cold which is the exact worst way to drink most wines except white wines."

Me too. When I was going out with my wife 48 years ago, we used to drink Johnny Walker Black but it was always with water and ice. I keep some liquor, wine and beer on hand for company but seldom drink any. A friend got me into George Dickel buthere in PA near us they stopped carrying it. I still had some left and when he comes over sometimes I offer him a drink and might join him. Before my son moved to Kentucky in July of this year, when he would come over in the hot summer days I would give him a Yuengling or Sam Adams and I would take a good sip and I was done, not much of a beer drinker. The wife likes a Reiseling when we go out and I will have one with her. It is funny how your interest changes on drinking, glad it hasn't changed on guns.
Posted By: LGF Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 02:09 AM
I'm with Claycrusher: I drink Lagavulin or Laphraoig, but keep some Balvenie, Glen Morangie, or Highland Park on hand for the ladies (my daughters grew up calling Islay malts "boys whisky" and Speysides "girls whisky").
Posted By: battle Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 03:22 AM
Hey jOe....

That pic you posted, how much for the two bottles on the right?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 04:22 AM
I got an empty 10 year old Pappy bottle I'd sell.

As a rule I only buy whiskey to drink although I did sell a bottle of 20 year old Pappy for $1200.

The 10 year old Pappy was about $80 when I bought it the 15 year old was about $120 ?...I've had them for a couple of years.

I'm on a list at a local ligour store. Last year I got two bottles. A bottle of George T. Stagg and a 10 year old Pappy Van Winkle.

When he called me this year he said my name was up and I could get one bottle...what would I like ?
I didn't hesitate...George T. Stagg.
I think it was $110. When I picked it up I talked him out of a bottle of Rock Hill Farms it was $60.
Posted By: battle Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 12:59 PM
I got an empty 10 year old Pappy bottle I'd sell.

As a rule I only buy whiskey to drink although I did sell a bottle of 20 year old Pappy for $1200.

The 10 year old Pappy was about $80 when I bought it the 15 year old was about $120 ?...I've had them for a couple of years.

I'm on a list at a local ligour store. Last year I got two bottles. A bottle of George T. Stagg and a 10 year old Pappy Van Winkle.

When he called me this year he said my name was up and I could get one bottle...what would I like ?
I didn't hesitate...George T. Stagg.
I think it was $110. When I picked it up I talked him out of a bottle of Rock Hill Farms it was $60.

How much for the bottle? With a shot or two of Pappy in it... grin

We just cant get the stuff around here, you have no idea.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 01:01 PM
I can't get it around here anymore either....reason being.

I know of at least two maybe more liquor stores in the Memphis Tennessee area that are selling their entire Buffalo Trace antique collection to one guy for 15 or 20 thousand.

Buffalo Trace should cut these retailers off.

One place is Natalie's liquor on Germantown Rd.....

One of the owners relatives, an employee is heading up the scam and he's bragged about it to more than more than one person.
The way I see it he's stealing a nice little bonus from their customers.

If you're ever in Memphis look me up and I'll give you a taste.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 01:29 PM
Alabama has state owned liquor stores....a few years back a turkey hunting buddy from Birmingham called me said he saw on the news or read in the paper that on a certain day they were going sell the Pappy Van Winkle and that he was going to be there and get me a bottle.

The day before the sale he called and said I drove by there and people were sitting in lawn chairs in the parking lot...a lot of them he said. Told me he would ride by there the next morning and see about getting me a bottle. I still had hopes.

Next morning he went about an hour before they opened and he said it was like a mad house....he's like me he kept going.

Sad part is....he found out later that they sent a security guard outside before they opened and made everyone get off the property. Then made every one line up and draw a number out of a hat.
If he had known they were going to draw he would've stayed and got a number and lucky as he is I'd have another bottle.

I stopped chasing Pappy Van Winkle several years ago.

Really sad part of it is most of the basturds buying it aren't buying it to drink just to make a buck...
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 01:52 PM
One more Pappy Van Winkle story....

Several years ago I kept checking this store to see if their Antique collection had came in....guy said check back.

So I kept checking and checking and checking....

My buddy heard it was out but impossible to get....I called the store back...."not yet"

I got a feeling....got in my truck and headed over there. Walked in the door asked the girl if she had any Pappy yet.
She cut her eyes over towards this fellow said ask him....So I did.

He informed me I could only get one bottle. All that was left was 10 year old...I believe it was $75 a bottle.

I noticed they had a few bottles left...I called my buddy he's coming.

One bottle in the truck.

I'm standing outside waiting on my buddy....this homeless looking guy approaches me

"I'm from Arkansas I've ran out of gas my mother is in the hospital dying and I'm trying to get there to see her before she dies I need 10 bucks for gas I'd sure appreciate it if you could help me out"

You have any ID buddy ?...he whips out this Arkansas driving license looks legit to me.
They want ID at liquor stores around here...no matter how old or ugly you is.

I pulled out a $100 dollar bill told him if you'll go in there and buy me a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle whiskey you can keep the change...he said what's the name again ?

At that instant my buddy drove up and walked passed us...I handed the guy the $100 bucks and told him follow that guy and buy the same thing he buys.

A short time later my buddy and the homeless guy walk out now I've got 3 bottles of Pappy.
Homeless guy remarks boy you drink some expensive whiskey...as he was leaving I told him I'd be happy to take him to get some gas for his car.

He replied I'm good....heading off into the sunset looking for his next crack rock.

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 06:17 PM
I'm like jOe's crackhead, you guys pay too much for your liquor...Geo

"Collector Whisky"? I'd just as soon collect dried butterbeans!
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 06:26 PM
Hey George, you ever consider what the market might be for collectible bourbon vs dried butterbeans?
JR
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 06:38 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Hey George, you ever consider what the market might be for collectible bourbon vs dried butterbeans?
JR

I'd think 'bout the same once you drink the bourbon...Geo
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
...you guys pay too much for your liquor...Geo

I agree, Geo. There’s even a guy here who buys expensive British tomater stakes. Hell, they fall out of trees for free.

jOe, hand a bum a hundred around here to buy you booze you better have your Nike’s on. Some of them are surprisingly quick.

From British royalty to suck muzzle first in that...

Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 08:22 PM
I try to stick with beer and wine. I like liquor well enough, maybe too much. Recent bottles of some good stuff include BV Clone 4, Justin Isosceles, BV George, and a small batch of Carol's from J.Lohr. I've been keen on a $20 Costco bottle of Black Stallion cab for a daily drink.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 08:34 PM
Red GA clay. I been getting stuck in it all my life...Geo
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 08:40 PM
I'm like jOe's crackhead, you guys pay too much for your liquor...Geo

"Collector Whisky"? I'd just as soon collect dried butterbeans!

George the collector whiskeys are for drinking with my friends...check the bottle levels I don't have too many.

Plus the empty bottles will bring more than your butter beans.

Lonesome this was a crack head on a mission to see his dying mother.

Plus I ain't never shot me no crack head for a 100 bucks I'd probably took a pot shot at him if he ran.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 10:09 PM
Chuck, if you ever see any, try a bottle of Prisoner cabernet blend. Best I ever tasted.

https://www.theprisonerwinecompany.com

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/20/18 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: King Brown
Woodford Reserve is what American friends bring to me.

Interesting how many members are drinking Irish whiskEy.

Scotch is whisky.

I always keep a bottle of Writer's Tears for when I get a hankering for Irish. The rest is Whisky. A few more than a dozen in various states of disrepair. I hate it when the good bottles get down to less than half.

However, my everyday drink for the last several years, although it's not an every day occurrence, is Tequila, neat.
Posted By: jmc Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/21/18 03:11 AM
+1 on The Prisoner. Widely distributed and should not have to pay more than $40. Most grocery stores give another 10% off if you buy a half case or more. I heard from a friend who is a distributor in TX that it was in tight supply this past summer but I never noticed a shortage.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/21/18 05:47 AM
Chuck, if you ever see any, try a bottle of Prisoner cabernet blend. Best I ever tasted.

https://www.theprisonerwinecompany.com

SRH

Stan,
They look to be another great Napa vinyard. There isn't much that gets grown in Napa that isn't great. Too expensive for the real estate to grow bad stuff. Some really great stuff coming out of the Paso Robles area now too, like Justin Isosceles.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/21/18 12:10 PM
Chuck'e...Kalafornia is a modern day Sod'um and Gonorea.

Truth is I hope I live long enough to see the Pacific ocean running up the Napa valley.

Go start your own thread about wine most men don't give a crap about no dam wine....or get on the phone in your wine closets.

Eye bet you be love'n on you some Mad Dog 20 20...

Wine is foe women and wine'oz

Beer is for horses and kids

Whiskey is for men.

Psssss...(I can't wait for the wine thread.. laugh they'll be some wining going on foe sho when I slip some Wildcat Whiskey in the Holy water)
Posted By: mergus Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/21/18 02:26 PM
Damn, I haven't logged on in a few days and when I did, I saw this topic, and for a split second I wondered what I had done to piss people off enough that they started a thread about me....

Then I read it....

John Bourbon aka Mergus
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/21/18 09:09 PM

George the collector whiskeys are for drinking with my friends...check the bottle levels I don't have too many.

No shit.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/21/18 11:07 PM
Smart azz...merry Christmas
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/22/18 09:23 PM
I like Woodford- also Bushmills. I read back in June 18 that Bob Dylan was behind a bonded Bourbon-- supposed to be named "Heaven's Door", and pricey-- have yet to see it on the shelves. Have any of you "con-a-sewers" of the many fine sippin' whiskies extant seen any of this offering from "The Zim-Man?"" Before I croak, I'd sure like to see a fifth of JTS Brown whiskey- mentioned by Paul Newman in the great movie: "The Hustler".. Merry Christmas to all- RWTF
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/23/18 02:03 AM
Runs, where have you been, haven't seen any posts from you in a long time.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/23/18 02:18 AM
Jail ?
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/23/18 02:03 PM
Thanks, Dave. Still recovering from the loss of my good friend and shooting companion, Brad Bachelor. All of us in the shooting and gun collecting fraternity feel the loss of his passing.

He wasn't the only master gunsmith we knew, Jack Rowe will also be sorely missed, a master at his craft and a great gentleman as well- But I knew Brad for 30 years, when he first started as "house gunsmith" for Al & Bob's Sporting Goods, on Division Ave. in Grand Rapids. MI.

Back in 1980, when my late father moved to FL., I took the M21 12 bore he gave me to Brad to have a new recoil pad installed, adding 1/4" more to the LOP the gun had, for a slightly better fit- He did a flawless job, the pad grew out of the walnut, and yet today, after many hunting seasons and barn pigeons dropped behind it, still is the handwork of a master.

I wanted to post something about my late friend Brad in the new sectioned Dave opened up-- but I demurred, after sadly reading the comments about the late President, George HW Bush (41)--I was sad to see that sectioned visited by two gents who seemed to use it to get into a micturation derby- No good form, lads, not good form at all.

Have a nice Christmas Holiday Dave, you and your family. RWTF
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/23/18 02:07 PM
Not quite yet, Joe. Not that I am above the law, but 2 of our County Judges are friends, as are most of the Deputies- 3 of which live in my neighborhood, and they all know me to be law-abiding. However, in this day and age, it can often be prudent to have a top-notch defense attorney on your retainer.. It seems to this ol' Fox that the world is going crazy, and that the loonies are trying to take over from the sane and sober. Have a Merry Xmas you old Navy Vet. RWTF
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/23/18 02:30 PM
Foxey I hate the water you havve me confused with someone else.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/23/18 04:59 PM
My family in the liquor business goes back into the mid 1800s when my great granddad and granddad owned "Cafes", better known as saloons, in Hazelton, PA and Mauch Chunk, PA. Granddad also entered the distributorship business, and continued on to ten years into Prohibition. I have 29 years in the wholesale and retail beer, wine, and liquor business, retired in 1998 and still invest on the retail level for my own pleasure. I have spent 29 years tasting anything I chose, and see no reason to spend the dollars necessary to procure any bourbon costing more than $12.00 for a 750 ML bottle unless I were going to resell it at a profit. I am on lists for limited purchase of Pappy's various varieties, but never take advantage. I have enough trouble selling expensive shotguns at a profit without worrying about reselling bourbon. Give me a break. It all tastes good and results in the same negative benefits in the morning. Personally, a good six ounce vodka martini made from Bowman's 80 proof and Martini and Rossi Dry in small quantities results in as good a drink at the cocktail hour. I pay $9.99 for a 1.75 of Bowman's and it lasts more than a week if I'm careful. Virginia Gentleman comes out of the Bowman's distillery and it's all the Bourbon I will ever need.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/23/18 08:48 PM
Yeah, now I see the error. Mea culpa, don't know how I had you pegged as a Navy Vet. I like the water, branch water goes well with a smooth sippin'whiskey, just don't add too much- and rocks are OK, but remember, they melt and dilute the whiskey somewhat. RWTF
Posted By: gold40 Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/23/18 08:53 PM

While the premium bourbons are fine, I actually enjoy Old Crow for my evening sippin'......The $30+ bottles aren't three times as nice.
Posted By: Chad Linder Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 03:20 AM
I like my bourbon in all forms, including a good old-fashioned...

Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 04:11 AM
Just received a bottle of Weller Antique 107 from my oldest son as a Christmas gift. As good or better than bourbons selling for 2x what it cost. Some really good shit.
JR
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 06:16 AM
Son is well trained.

Weller is never a bad choice.

Speaking of wheaters, Makers 46 is worth a try if you haven't yet.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 06:20 AM
Originally Posted By: gold40

While the premium bourbons are fine, I actually enjoy Old Crow for my evening sippin'......The $30+ bottles aren't three times as nice.

Old Crow is actually well made, it's just awfully young to be recommended as a 'sipper'.

As mentioned, it is in reality just Jim Beam pulled at three years. It has a following.

Crow is at it's best as a well iced bourbon and soda on a hot day under a shade tree after 100 targets.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 11:32 AM
Just received a bottle of Weller Antique 107 from my oldest son as a Christmas gift. As good or better than bourbons selling for 2x what it cost. Some really good shit.
JR

What's it cost...

My buddy got a 1/2 gallon of "Weller 12"...100 bucks. Same seller had one out on the shelf for $300.

A few years back they were going for 50 bucks. Like I said I can take or leave Weller 12 its next to impossible to get so I guess I'll leave it.

It really should have a different name because no other Weller comes close to Weller 12 in smoothness or taste.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Crow is at it's best as a well iced bourbon and soda on a hot day under a shade tree after 100 targets.

Standing around a cart on a cold winter day after 100 targets with Col.Taylor and one ice cube was a good warmer yesterday....

If whiskey needs something in it you need to find you another whiskey or find you some flowery mixed drink of sorts because what you are drinking is not fit for human consumption.
Posted By: Buzz Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 11:47 AM
I’ve heard with the one iced cube, best if it’s distilled water so the good booze doesn’t get tainted with impurities.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 11:51 AM
My older buddy in middle Tennessee likes ice from this special spring...I'm not that picky.

I might have to try distilled water.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 02:06 PM
Artesian well water is best, if you can get it. But just a splash, and I have a purist neighbor who loves Rebel Yell-branch water, and he much prefers ice chipped from a block from an old-time ice house-hard to get today- but if he can't get that, he will fill his ice cube trays with distilled water--to each his own- Prosit!!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 02:56 PM
Distilled water often isn’t considered fit for human consumption. Commercial water stills are typically constructed in a fashion that will allow higher levels of lead, arsenic, cadmium, and other heavy metals into the distillate, than are allowed by law in true drinking water.
You guys can put whatever you want into your drinks, but, you’d do better if it was labeled for human consumption, and not aimed at your lead acid batteries and clothes irons.

Buzz, you are an MD, you didn’t know this?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 03:11 PM
Scratch that idea...I don't need anymore lead in my pencil.
Posted By: Buzz Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Distilled water often isn’t considered fit for human consumption. Commercial water stills are typically constructed in a fashion that will allow higher levels of lead, arsenic, cadmium, and other heavy metals into the distillate, than are allowed by law in true drinking water.
You guys can put whatever you want into your drinks, but, you’d do better if it was labeled for human consumption, and not aimed at your lead acid batteries and clothes irons.

Buzz, you are an MD, you didn’t know this?

Best,
Ted
Come on Ted. If you buy a gallon of distilled water at a supermarket or a Walgreens it is perfectly safe to drink. In other words, it is potable.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 03:44 PM
It will say on the label if it is, Buzz. If it doesn’t, don’t drink it.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 03:48 PM
I got a jug in my shop I'm going to try and find someone that can read the label for me....
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 04:50 PM
Nothing that comes in a plastic bottle should be drunk, IMO. If the bottles get much above room temperature chemicals begin being released into the water/drink contained. My general physician is a sharp guy, and a hunting friend. After I had my first kidney stone attack recently I made the comment that I wasn't going to drink my well water anymore because it was extremely high in calcium content, and that I'd be drinking purified bottled water. He told me quickly to stay with my well water, that it was much healthier for me than bottled water, and explained about the chemicals from the plastic being released into the water inside.

So, I'm drinking well water, which comes straight out of limestone rock, and taking a month's worth of Chanca Piedra every so often to dissolve any potential stones.

YMMV, SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 05:18 PM
I got the ice problem solved. My son gave me a box of little steel bullet shaped thingies that you freeze and use in place of cubes. Colder and don't melt. Last longer than whatever you are drinkin'...Geo

https://www.thechivery.com/products/sipd...GkaAh-ZEALw_wcB

Don't swallow one!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 06:52 PM
I'd heard plastic bottles release chemicals if you freeze them.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 06:53 PM
Be painful passing that George.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 07:00 PM
Sorry jOe, I forgot the full product warning:

Don't swallow them.
Don't lick them before you put them in the glass.
Don't try to chew them.

Best...Geo
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 08:51 PM
JR

What's it cost...

$35-$40 depending on where you are. For several years it was $28 or so. Gone up.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/24/18 10:00 PM
I got put on the list for Weller 12 today, locally. He said he gets 12 bottles/yr. Said I'd definitely get some.

SRH
Posted By: Chad Linder Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 03:52 AM
Weller 12 and 107 is great juice. It used to be easy to locate, not so much anymore. Everything from Buffalo Trace is on allocation, perhaps one day they will catch up with demand...
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 04:20 AM
The Weller 12 and 107 are so far apart in taste and smoothness it's really not fair to call them both Weller...the Weller 12 is aged 12 years the Weller 107 is aged 7 years.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 04:21 AM
I got put on the list for Weller 12 today, locally. He said he gets 12 bottles/yr. Said I'd definitely get some.

SRH

You might not like the price...I'd guess $50 a fifth at least.
Several years back I recall paying $50 for a half gallon.

Trust me try a bottle of Col. E.H. Taylor for $40. Its 100 proof and in my opinion it's smoother and better tasting.
Posted By: Salopian Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 01:15 PM
A very interesting thread.
I drink Scotch , numerous types , but I love the blend of Famous Grouse + I like Black Grouse , then we move onto the Single Malts .
First slug always burns , but then I take a few for the team and it seems to taste better.
My best friend is Jum Beam's Son, or at least he drinks like was , a bottle a day keeps sanity away.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 02:25 PM
I think a lot of Scotches use old Bourbon barrels.

"There are also expressions now selling in Travel Retail: Laphroaig QA cask (matured in ex-bourbon barrels and virgin American oak casks), Laphroaig PX cask (matured in three types of wood – from American oak to Quarter Cask to Pedro Ximenez ex-sherry), Laphroaig An Cuan Mor – Big Ocean (matured in first-fill bourbon barrels and then in European oak"
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 02:26 PM
Taste like they use something old...I figured it was old hog troughs.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 02:36 PM
You all inspired me to have a Scotch tasting party last night.
10 single malts.
18 y/o Sherry casked Glendronach
Was the winner.
Surprisingly, the smoky peaty (bacon like flavored) Bunnahabhain 12y/o was second
Usually the peaty ones are off putting to beginners.

I drink bourbon frequently, but find some a little too sweet, or corn flavored.
Woodford reserve is nice on occasion.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 02:44 PM
You think the winner was mashed in a hog trough to give it that bacon flavor ?
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 03:44 PM
smile
I think they run their still with some kind of punky wood
They don’t have hickory there

I like the whisky’s from the eastern side

And yes they do use old bourbon barrels to make Scotch whisky.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 04:37 PM
By statute, anything labeled 'Straight Bourbon' must be matured in new white oak barrels for at least two years.

Some of them are not 'old' at all after their first run, they can be only 2 years old and have a lot of life left in them. Jim Beam, the largest seller is only aged four years, and Jack Daniels (which could be sold as bourbon except for the maple adjunct) is not aged for very long either. They sell an enormous quantity of Jack Daniels.

So we have lots and lots of good barrels that need homes. Some are reused here for whiskies not labeled bourbon. Most go to Scotland, some go to other countries.

The Ozarks supply the majority of the white oak for barrels. The British isles do not have anything like that sort of supply.

Scotch is matured 'the same but different' as bourbon. Scotland has cooler summers than Kentucky, they have a maritime climate, and quite a large variation in topography.

The result is endless variety, which is a good thing for whisk(e)y enthusiasts.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 05:28 PM
Well, I guess this spent some time in some old bourbon barrels. Whoops, nope......old sherry casks. Happy to find it under the tree this morning. A little early yet to crack it open but I'm looking forward to it.

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 05:35 PM
Whoever gave James that MacAllan knows what tastes good...Geo
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 07:18 PM
It's still a used oak barrel.

I have here a bottle of Glenmorangie 'The Tayne' which is finished in amontillado sherry butts. It starts in bourbon barrels as do some of the current Macallen products.

The 18 year Macallen is to my knowledge aged in sherry oak for the entire time. It's a stellar whisky.

For a really good bang for the buck in a Highland malt try Glen Garioch. My brother gets this for me at the duty free when it's available.

I like them all. Obviously. The Islay style is a favorite, the standard Laphroaig 10 year is still semi-reasonably priced and is just perfect after a good dinner in front of the fire.

The thing about scotch vs. bourbon is that for the price of a good bottle of scotch you can get a couple VERY good bottles of bourbon. Thus, I tend to buy more bourbon than scotch.

Posted By: canvasback Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 08:19 PM
Whoever gave James that MacAllan knows what tastes good...Geo

The ex.

She must think I’m a good ex. laugh

I’d probably drink and enjoy more bourbon but our state run liquor stores rarely have much of a selection of American whiskeys. Jack Daniels, Knob Creek and then the assortment gets really thin.
Posted By: postoak Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/25/18 08:31 PM
For mixing Ten High, cheap and effective.

For run of the mill drinking, not sipping Ezra Brooks, Rebel Yell, and Old Charter.

For sipping Tom Moore 100 proof.

For Scotch I stick with Famous Grouse.

For a white whiskey I have some Panther Piss aged 15 years in a food grade 5 gallon plastic bucket smile
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/26/18 12:13 AM
Now your talking Christmas spirits. 12 year old Weller, is one of my go to bourbons, 3 boys farms micro distillery only 1/2 bottle left! Will give pappy a run for its money. Woodford Reserve double oak, and knob Creek are always in and ready to pour.
For a go to rye, Whistle Pig old world and boss hog are a must, bullet ranks right up there as well.
Last month after fishing the Niagra for steelheads, we settled in with Angles envy Rye. It was a surprisingly good drink.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Rich
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/26/18 01:01 PM
I'm not a bourbon drinker, but you guys got me rummaging through the liquor cabinet to see what was there. I found an unopened round bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel with a cork stopper and a race horse with rider as a finial.

Haven't tried it, any good?...Geo
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/26/18 01:06 PM
Any good ?

George there's a busy buffet they just opened near me....looks nice food sucked.

A month or so later I notice the parking lot is still pretty full maybe the food got better...food still sucked.

Then a month later I give in again.....food still sucked but people are in there shoveling it in.

Whiskey is that same way...somebody likes it or they wouldn't make it.

The Blanton's I've tried didn't fit my taste buds and I'm not drinking name brand...I'm looking for taste and smoothness.

Ps...George did you see that pretty little Boss hammer gun in the hunting photo section ?

Don't look George it might make you crack the cork on the racehorse.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/26/18 02:33 PM
I've always been a sucker for a Boss gun...Geo
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Bourbon - 12/26/18 10:58 PM
I came about an inch from buying a Boss muzzle loader years back....I studied it and asked lots of questions....seems like they wanted 4 grande for it I finally I talked myself out of it.

Problem is most times guns don't live up to the pictures or descriptions posted on websites....but it was a Boss.
Posted By: CptCurl Re: OT-Bourbon - 01/04/19 10:19 PM
This morning I ran across an article in NYT from earlier this week. After reading it I was left with the impression that the future of bourbon is ruined. Yuppified. Glamourized. Glitterized. Not a good thing, I think.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/business/kentucky-owl-bourbon-tourism-napa.html

Getting too much hype.

Curl
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 01/04/19 10:22 PM
That happened with cigars, too. But, it hasn't ruined them .............yet.

I don't think the sky is falling.

SRH
Posted By: keith Re: OT-Bourbon - 01/05/19 12:47 AM
The link about the yuppie-fication of the Bourbon industry provided by CptCurl is interesting... particularly the reference to the Tulip-Mania moment. That hasn't arrived quite yet, but it hasn't happened with extremely high priced wines yet either. Yet.

Earlier in this discussion, I mentioned a few everyday Bourbons that are quite drinkable when you are only tying to impress yourself, and which don't cost several dollars a shot. I can't help thinking about a wager I witnessed when I worked as a bartender for several months while looking for work in my major after graduating from college.

It was a rough working class neighborhood bar, and I worked mostly during the day when all of the older retired guys and alcoholics made their daily visits. One day, a patron was pretty loaded, and arguing about beers with some other guys. He proudly proclaimed that his brand was the best, and said he'd know it anywhere. Another patron heard this and told him he was full of shit, and the heated argument soon turned into a wager. Money was piled onto the bar, and I was drafted to set up the test and referee the results. A couple clean bar-rags were tied together to make a blindfold for the guy. I was asked to set up a row of small chaser glasses, and we filled them with about 8 or 9 different beers including the favorite of our blindfolded friend. A small piece of paper under each glass had the brand name of the contents written on it.

Then, the guy who jump started this contest called me over, and in a low whisper, he instructed me to also fill two more of the test glasses, one with plain water, and one with 7-UP from the soft drink dispenser.

The blindfolded guy was then handed a glass one at a time, and asked to tell us when he tasted his Shlitz or Strohs or Koehlers or whatever it was. He worked his way down the line, and actually tasted his own favorite without identifying it. But when he took a sip of the 7-UP, he banged his fist on the bar and said, "That's my beer... I'd know it anywhere!"

The guy who set up the wager collected his money. The guy who lost had to accept his loss, which was witnessed by me and his friends. I was pretty amazed by the results at the time, but the guy who set him up told me that he had done this a number of times before to other drunks, and that once a drinker is half-loaded, their taste buds are anesthetised to the point that they won't know what the hell they are drinking. He said the ability to taste accurately drops rapidly after only a couple drinks. This guy was ripped enough that he thought 7-UP was his favorite beer.

And this is how bars can easily get away with putting a cheaper whiskey in a top-shelf bottle.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 01/05/19 03:17 AM
Wonder if I can repackage some of those $50 a pop Norlan Glass Rauk heavy tumblers into Colonel Lonny Rhodes official Kentucky Bourbon Pong set for say, $10,000.

Posted By: keith Re: OT-Bourbon - 01/05/19 03:29 AM
Sounds like a great idea that should really appeal to the "more money than brains" crowd Lonesome.

I've been think of a new drinking game on the order of the "Hi Bob" game we played in college. Everyone had to watch the Bob Newhart Show, and drink a shot every time someone on the show said "Hi Bob".

In my new version, everyone would have watch to CNN and drink a shot every time Don Lemon or Chris Cuomo said "Trump lied". You'd be comatose before the first commercial break.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 01/05/19 06:23 PM
After a hard days shopping on Rodeo Drive.

https://youtu.be/IW09-2rLtrU

Posted By: ellenbr Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/18/22 11:53 AM
https://robbreport.com/food-drink/spirits/buffalo-trace-auction-pappy-van-winkle-1234740350/amp/

An auction today to assist Kentucky flood victim......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/18/22 01:38 PM
A pleasant distraction...
Posted By: battle Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/18/22 01:53 PM
Luckily I live 20 minutes from there and able to drop in and buy the days offering from the gift shop. Could be Eagle Rare, Weller or Colonel Taylor. All good and hard to find at any retail store. Woodford Reserve is about 10 minutes away and my favorite.
Posted By: AZMike Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/18/22 02:13 PM
I like to buy the best tequila I can find in a plastic bottle, that leaves me enough $ for a 30 pack of Keystones!
Life is good here on the Frontera!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/18/22 06:26 PM
I'm not sure my experiences are noteworthy but....when I imbibe the cheaper stuff (i.e., the rotgut) I seem to pay a higher price the next day, so accordingly I've gotten fairly selective about what and when I'll indulge that particular vice anymore. The lost time simply isn't worth it to me. The better stuff (& that includes wine) seems to take less of a toll. It's rare that I get to completely skate-by anymore, but some clearly do less damage. And, of course, that's a trial & error process.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by battle
Luckily I live 20 minutes from there and able to drop in and buy the days offering from the gift shop. Could be Eagle Rare, Weller or Colonel Taylor. All good and hard to find at any retail store. Woodford Reserve is about 10 minutes away and my favorite.
I do miss EH Taylor single barrel
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 03:36 AM
I can completely "skate by" with Ezra Brooks, or Evan Williams. Anything cheaper ........ I don't try. I can tell no difference in how I feel the next day with E.B. compared with Weller, Jefferson's Ocean, Buffalo Trace or Pappy. But then, moderation is key to it all.
Posted By: liverwort Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 04:10 AM
Nothing to tell here. Old Crow straight and old guns 12 gauge.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 12:21 PM
George Dickel and branch water- 3 rocks all in a tumbler- smoooooth!! RWTF
Posted By: ellenbr Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 12:23 PM
François:

I prefer stump water as it keeps you acclimated.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 12:34 PM
My 95 year old, when he passed, hunting and gun collecting buddy was an Ezra guy, so I buy Ezra in memory of my old buddy. To save a buck or two, I buy Evan Black because the label is similar to Ezra and both are still 86. I was in the liquor business when Jack Daniel went from 90 to 86. I bought an insane number of cases of 90 at the end. I had 90 for months when no one else had any. Customers came from all over to shop for 90 proof Jack. I didn't keep it on the shelf, but they knew to ask for it.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I can completely "skate by" with Ezra Brooks, or Evan Williams. Anything cheaper ........ I don't try. I can tell no difference in how I feel the next day with E.B. compared with Weller, Jefferson's Ocean, Buffalo Trace or Pappy. But then, moderation is key to it all.

I’ve fooled a lot of people over the years with self proclaimed refined palettes and high end liquor taste with a few fingers of Ezra. I love the look on their faces when they get done exulting on this mystery liquids fine points (you know, the really wordy, flowery talk some folks like to use when they’re describing the hints of this and that…), they ask what is this…..and I then drop it’s a $12 bottle of Ezra Brooks😂😂
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
I’ve fooled a lot of people over the years with self proclaimed refined palettes and high end liquor taste with a few fingers of Ezra. I love the look on their faces when they get done exulting on this mystery liquids fine points (you know, the really wordy, flowery talk some folks like to use when they’re describing the hints of this and that…), they ask what is this…..and I then drop it’s a $12 bottle of Ezra Brooks😂😂

ROTFLMAO
Posted By: eeb Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 06:32 PM
It is, after all, just corn likker. It all tastes about the same.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by eeb

Bullshit.......... maybe to you.

Ever tasted much moonshine? It can range from the worst thing you ever put in your mouth to some that rolls across the tongue just as smooth and easy as artesian well water. But how could that be? ............after all, it's all "just corn likker".

Yeah, right.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/19/22 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by eeb

Ever tasted much moonshine? It can range from the worst thing you ever put in your mouth to some that rolls across the tongue just as smooth and easy as artesian well water. But how could that be? ............after all, it's all "just corn likker".

Yeah, right.

I’ll bet yer grandpap cooked a good batch-O-likker.

Posted By: eeb Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by eeb

Yeah, right.

Lighten up Stan. Don’t take it personal. We’re all having a little fun here.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by eeb
Lighten up Stan.

Good advice.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by eeb

I don't need to lighten up. I'm light, baby.

You need to make it plain whether you're kidding or serious. A keyboard has no means to imply "joking", unless you make it explicit.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by eeb

I don't need to lighten up. I'm light, baby.

Bullshit.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 02:56 AM
Go to sleep, Lonny. You're too worked up.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 03:13 AM

Maybe I was being too implicit but all I was trying to get across is go easy on ol’ eeb. He’s from Virginny.
Purt near a Yankee.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by lonesome roads

Maybe I was being too implicit but all I was trying to get across is go easy on ol’ eeb. He’s from Virginny.
Purt near a Yankee.

Right on time.

“Stumbling back to bedâ€.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 04:42 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Right on time.

Best,
Ted

Gotta be #dragginyouruglyass to your #shyteteamsterjob in a #pieceofshyteoldsmobile that makes you so ornery, Toad.

Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 12:30 PM
wow- this interesting thread of good bourbon whiskies sure went into the dumpster right darn quick like>> RWTF
Posted By: eeb Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 01:28 PM
Unfortunately, LR is right. Since the Confederate monuments here in Richmond were torn down and everyone dodging the Confederate heritage in their woodpile, Virginia has become Yankeeland lite. But I digress….

To Stan’s point, I do know the difference between moonshine and bourbon. A local fellow make Apple Pie and Blackberry moonshine, but it’s a novelty item. He also makes and sells a two year old “bourbon†for something like $40 a fifth that goes down like a garden rake. Yikes! IMO bourbon has a flavor that is universal with some better than others but it’s all corn likker. As has been pointed out a $12 Evan Williams has great drinkability and compares favorably to more expensive brands. It begs the question are the expensive brands worth it? My preferred Old Forrester hits the nail on the head with a flavor that doesn’t deviate much from high dollar varieties. And when the topic of bourbon pops up on a double gun internet board that discussion has to be lite hearted. There’s way too much seriousness in the world anyway. Yesterday was my 62nd bday and my oldest son and my precious DIL gave me a bottle of 15 year old Glenfiddich. I thanked them profusely but didn’t tell them that since covid a year ago all alcohol tastes like burnt rubber tires. Maybe this will kick start my taste buds. Cheers Stan

Ed Blake
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 01:37 PM
Some sound advice from Kentucky's wisest man, Wendell Berry, " Wait until the hogs are butchered before drinking the whiskey."
Posted By: battle Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 01:37 PM
Not all bourbon is bourbon. And whiskey is just whiskey. Your Virginia guy isn’t making 2 year bourbon.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 01:39 PM
An earlier poster opined that $12 Ezra Brooks compares to more expensive brands, not Evan Williams, which doesn't really compare with more expensive brands as stated by Ed Blake. I use Evan Williams, not because of its superior taste, but its friendly black label and its price. At least both maintain the 86 proof, rather than the 80 proof level which killed Old Crow for me.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 01:45 PM
Right on time.

Best,
Ted

Gotta be #dragginyouruglyass to your #shyteteamsterjob in a #pieceofshyteoldsmobile that makes you so ornery, Toad.

PBR doesn’t come in a 30 pack. Off next week.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 02:36 PM
I've become a one-bourbon drinker of late, Wild Turkey 101. I find it superior to it's weaker sibling. I've never been a straight sipper, always blend with a little ginger ale. But I'm quite satisfied with its smoky, earthy taste and smooth finish. It's priced right by the handle also.
JR
Posted By: Bluestem Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
I've become a one-bourbon drinker of late, Wild Turkey 101. I find it superior to it's weaker sibling. I've never been a straight sipper, always blend with a little ginger ale. But I'm quite satisfied with its smoky, earthy taste and smooth finish. It's priced right by the handle also.
JR
By odd coincidence, I found an empty 200ml plastic bottle of Wild Turkey 101 at the end of my driveway this morning. Must be a nice size for country cruising and chucking at mailboxes.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 04:47 PM
No, you must be @ the end of the Mail route & the Postman finished up with you & it.....(>>Funny Farm<<-Chevy Chase)

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bluestem
JR
By odd coincidence, I found an empty 200ml plastic bottle of Wild Turkey 101 at the end of my driveway this morning. Must be a nice size for country cruising and chucking at mailboxes.
Never, ever seen Wild Turkey in a plastic bottle.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 05:52 PM
All good, Ed. My best to ya'.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 06:54 PM
Bourbon featured in the movies- why not-- (1) Terms of Endearment- when Shirley Maclaine orders some Wild Turkey in the restaurant luncheon scene with Jack Nicholson, she didn't specify 86 or 101 proof. whatever it was they were drinking, the scene on the beach in the top down Corvette was a classic.. Two brands of whiskey seen in the Redford-Newman classic "The Sting" One is a bourbon mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the other is a fine whiskey indeed, but not a true bourbon whiskey-- any guesses? And last, but not least, again with Paul Newman and George C. Scott-- "The Hustler"-- have never found J.T.S. Brown anywhere in the Midwest-- maybe someday. Rebel Yell, yes- but NO to J.T.S. Brown. He must have been a important gentleman in his day, to have 3 initials for a first name?? RWTF
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 08:21 PM
No ice, no glass. Yup, Foxy, Old Bushmill is not a bourbon but nice.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 08:31 PM
You, sir, are correct. Redford pours a tumbler of Bushmills in the ending scene of the movie- and Ezra Brooks is the ad painted on the brick wall of a building in Chicago where the greasy spoon diner scenes took place. Also a bit of truth in that casting, as "Dutch" Schultz often used female "hit men" in his NYC based organization. Real surname was Fleggenheimer.. RWTF
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/20/22 10:35 PM
I tried for years to find some Virginia Gentleman on the shelves, to no avail. Why? Because Gene Hill wrote about it and I just wanted to try some.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 12:18 AM
Stan, I still use some VG fairly often. It is no longer made by Smith-Bowman in Northern Virginia and is now under Sazerac ownership. It is distilled down south and redistilled?? in Virginia. Still tastes OK, but does not have the history of the old product. When it was distilled locally, it outsold Jim Beam and Jack Daniel. No more. It is now described in the trade as a bottom shelf bourbon not actively advertised by the Sazerac corporation.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 01:22 AM
Recently discovered here is Ezra Brooks rye.

Indiana product, so undoubtedly MGP/LDI sourced.

State minimum here is $15.99, and this 90 proof rye is simply remarkable at this price point.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 01:42 AM
I tried for years to find some Virginia Gentleman on the shelves, to no avail. Why? Because Gene Hill wrote about it and I just wanted to try some.

It's not that remarkable unless you are sitting g around a campfire in the mountains.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD

It's not that remarkable unless you are sitting g around a campfire in the mountains.

Wasn't really expecting remarkable ..........woulda been surprised had it been. But, Hill's other recommendation concerning bourbon has played very well .......... a dash or two of Angostura bitters over the ice before pouring.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 12:26 PM
Stan- I have all of Gene's books, and signed. He and Michael McInotosh and Brian Belinski came here in October 1991 on an Orvis tour, and the manager of the local Orvis Shop in Ada was a close friend and hunting-fishing pal, so he set it up that Gene would go out with us for a morning duck hunt- Gene shot his Remington 12 auto--one of the best hunts ever, and he is/was the "real deal". But I also recall in one of his stories his mention of an older gentleman, an avid waterfowler, who favored Old Forester bourbon-- but you are right, I'd always wanted to try Virginia Gentleman, as I also sought J.T. S. Brown whiskey- closest I've come so far is Rebel Yell. Good stuff indeed. And of all of Gene's writings, my all-time favorite is "The Stranger". RWTF
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD

Pretty much true of all of'em it seems to me...Geo
Posted By: Hal Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 07:20 PM
Reminds me of an old farmer/hunter in MN who my friend and his buddies knew. He had a lot of wetlands and would let them hunt every fall. But upon their arrival, he would get in their car, pull the cork on a quart of Stab-N-Kill and toss it out the window. The bottle would be expected to be empty by the time he gave everyone his standard welcome tour.
Posted By: eeb Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 10:18 PM
Virginia Gentleman was what we drank in college, just because that’s what you drank at football games at a small college in Southside Va. It wasn’t great but we drank it with coke or ginger ale and the Sweetbriar girls loved it. I haven’t had any in years.
Posted By: HighWall Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 11:05 PM
My favorite is Blantons, however its becoming too hard to find. The best bang for the buck i've found, for "everyday" use is Henry McKenna.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/21/22 11:26 PM
There are some really good "lesser names". Big Texas, 86, is one of them.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/22/22 12:57 AM
My preference is Woodford even over some much more expensive options but I could get by nicely with a good supply of Henry McKenna. The late gun writer Skeeter Skelton liked Henry McKenna.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/22/22 02:53 AM
Old Forester and Knob Creek for me. Just finished off last years single barrel Old Forester this stuff has went off the charts now. It’s great but it’s not 40.00 a bottle anymore. My Grandmother retired from Brown Forman so I have been getting some great bottles of OF my entire adult life. Also you Woodford guys, it’s the same recipe as OF, came straight from the distillers mouth, unless they changed it after the first decade. I.W. Harper made some great stuff also.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/22/22 12:53 PM
I know people now that collect/invest in bourbon, partly as a hobby, but partly as an investment. When travelling, they hit all the obscure liquor stores (even in the bad neighborhoods) and then ask for what might not be on the shelves. I'd compare it to a form of hoarding except that the value of the accumulated stash continues to appreciate. Not all that different than accumulating gold and silver coins in the face of staggering inflation, but it clearly helps drive up the prices. It even has survivalist-overtones now in that it's also used as trade-fodder for other items, even better versions of bourbons that can't be easily obtained (rare or even discontinued).

Much like guns here, I'm a consumer (& not a collector). I tend to keep a little around for special occasions (& the occasional Saturday night snort). If it gets much above $40 a jug, I'm considering my other options.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/22/22 01:37 PM
As a deceased acquaintance from Indiana explained it, (and I paraphrase here),

“Making spirits is a craft. You have to pay for that.

Even the best industrial grade whiskey doesn’t compare to craft made. If only for the sweat and effort of the maker.â€

Kind of like handmade best guns.

Consume what you like, and what you can afford.

If you have any taste buds, corn liquor is sweet. It tastes like corn.

Myself, I don’t care for the super syrupy premium Bourbons.
I like the cutesy caps that Blanton’s uses.

We’ve enjoyed a few bottles of Bulleit on our bird hunts, and everyone seems to enjoy it. Circumstances definitely apply.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/22/22 09:07 PM
My take;

Find one you like that you like and will afford, enjoy it, privately. Buy another that should impress, serve it up. After a couple switch over to the lesser one(s), no one will notice! Come on, this is biblical! Cheers!

Chief
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/22/22 11:47 PM
I don't serve bourbon unless someone asks for some. Then, it's WT 101. I don't play games with my whiskey.
JR
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 02:46 AM
Sanford and son…

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pepper-and-salt-11660622430

Posted By: Salopian Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 09:27 AM
Over here we drink Whisky .
Is Bourbon like your Coke or Pepsi?
Is it a Ladies drink?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 10:44 AM
Here's a detailed explanation of the difference, if there is any, between bourbon and Tennessee whiskey. It explains it in much better detail than I can and ......... it's written by a woman who is a bourbon enthusiast. Whether she is a lady or not I cannot say.

Tennessee whiskey basically is bourbon that has been filtered, before going into aging casks, through sugar maple charcoal.

https://caskx.com/2021/12/08/tennessee-whiskey-vs-bourbon/
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 10:53 AM
Scots whisky is aged in used Bourbon barrels.

Barley vs corn.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 10:58 AM
Neither bourbon nor Tennessee whiskey is all corn.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Salopian
Is it a Ladies drink?

Not really. We drink bourbon over here and piss scotch.
JR
Posted By: keith Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 03:17 PM
Is it a Ladies drink?

JR

+1...

I vote John Roberts' reply here "Best Reply of 2022!"
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 05:00 PM
Salopian, you might be surprised at how many Scotch whiskeys are aged in old Jim Beam oak [or similar] casks. Doesn’t seem right, but it happens often.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/23/22 05:22 PM
A poster "Clapper Zapper", describes the taste of boutique or premium bourbons as "syrupy". About 40 or 50 years ago, George Herter, remember him?, wrote a lengthy tome on whiskey, especially bourbon. He gave us recipes to make cheap bourbon into Jack Daniel and other high dollar drinks, even including a conversion to Southern Comfort for those who like off the scales sweet. Most of the add-ons that Herter uses in his recipes were basic sweeteners like sugar, juice from canned fruits, and everything up to and maybe including Fizzies tablets. Somehow, George's little paperback got lost in the shuffle, but you get the point. The higher the price, the easier the bourbon goes down. Maybe the comments about "A lady's drink" have some truth in them.
Posted By: Salopian Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/24/22 07:06 AM
eightbore, Daryl, & others who understand my sense of humour ,
Thank You.
I have a friend who drinks Jim Beam in vast quantities but give him a decent Scotch and he balks and has to take his time sipping it.
I find Southern Comfort very comfortable to drink .
I find many Whiskies are an acquired taste and some take a lot of getting used to.
We often end an evenings 'imbibing' with a Grappa session.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/24/22 12:39 PM
FWIW-- the late Janis Joplin put down at least a fifth of Southern Comfort every day of her drug-crazed life. I would not follow George Herter's advice on the best day I ever had. I read his "Bull Cook Book" years ago--what a P.T. Barnum- with his "Model Perfect. sthick. RWTF
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/24/22 01:00 PM
Foxy, you are unconscious if you don't find entertainment value in George Herter's catalogs and writings. His home made Southern Comfort is way better than the overpriced commercial product.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/24/22 02:16 PM
I've really been enjoying the new Makers Mark No. 46. It is finished on virgin French oak, which side-by-side with the typical is much smoother with more vanilla and caramel flavors.
Posted By: Hal Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/24/22 05:10 PM
Scotch for me. Even the finest glens aged in barrels with the oak tannin leached out by the straight and bourbon makers.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/24/22 09:46 PM
I doubt that the famous abuser, Janis Joplin, was using 100 proof Southern Comfort. If she was drinking the "whole bottle" that was claimed, it was probably the girly bottle of 80 proof. I would be the first to admit that a bottle of SC is hard to put down if no one is watching.
Posted By: GLS Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/24/22 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
Foxy, you are unconscious if you don't find entertainment value in George Herter's catalogs and writings. His home made Southern Comfort is way better than the overpriced commercial product.

It had to be better and "the world's finest" to be drank while swaddled in a "world's finest" Hudson Bay Blanket.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/25/22 01:17 AM
https://www.oldforester.com/birthday-bourbon-sweepstakes/

Posted By: keith Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/25/22 04:53 AM
I doubt that the famous abuser, Janis Joplin, was using 100 proof Southern Comfort. If she was drinking the "whole bottle" that was claimed, it was probably the girly bottle of 80 proof. I would be the first to admit that a bottle of SC is hard to put down if no one is watching.

I made the mistake of buying a fifth of Southern Comfort when I was in college. I quickly learned that it is a mistake to buy a bottle of any liquor without having ever tasted it first. I had one taste, and gave the rest of the bottle away... apparently to someone who had no sense of taste. To me, Southern Comfort is like Rap music. Some people like it, but I'll never understand why.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/25/22 01:19 PM
Southern Comfort would probably be more acceptable if mixed half and half with an inexpensive bourbon to kill off some of the sweetness.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/25/22 02:05 PM
what about the various honey flavored whiskies on the shelves today? RWTF
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/25/22 02:13 PM
The manufacturers can’t keep up with the quantities consumed by the boomer generation. So, by introducing flavored products, they sell three times as much liquor with 1/3 the spirit in it.

It was a case of supply and demand being out of balance.

Flavored liquors are very very popular.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/25/22 03:32 PM
Fireball is a huge seller here. Younger crowd, mostly.
Posted By: GLS Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 01:13 PM
Did someone mention Tennessee Whiskey?
Posted By: Jamie243AI Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by eeb
Treat yourself to some Jefferson�s Ocean for Christmas. It�s so good you won�t believe it.

AMEN to that! And it really varies to which sailing you get, too.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jamie243AI
Originally Posted by eeb
Treat yourself to some Jefferson�s Ocean for Christmas. It�s so good you won�t believe it.

AMEN to that! And it really varies to which sailing you get, too.

Tried it. Not impressed. Jmo.
JR
Posted By: Der Ami Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 03:09 PM
GLS,
Chris Stapelton absolutely took a great song away from George Jones and his recording likely made the Possum more money from it than he made himself. I like the recording better than the live version. I like Bourbon, Tennessee Whiskey, Southern Comfort (for dessert), "shine", and mostly other people's whiskey.
Mike
Posted By: GLS Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 04:19 PM
Whiskey River was written by two others (not including George Jones) and originally recorded by David Allan Coe. There's another live version by Stapleton done for Austin City Limits. The Farm Aid's version shows his ability to improvise and riff during his band's introduction. Gil
Posted By: Der Ami Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 07:50 PM
GlS,
The video you posted was Chris Stapelton singing Tennessee Whiskey, not Whiskey River. My favorite version of Whiskey River is Mr. William Nelson's arrangement. I agree with your assessment of Chris Stapelton's ability, though.
Mike
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 08:08 PM
I have been a big fan of Willie Nelson for years- toss up between Willie and the late Ray Charles as to which one did the better cover of my all-time favorite song: "Georgia On My Mind"-- RWTF
Posted By: GLS Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Der Ami
GlS,
The video you posted was Chris Stapelton singing Tennessee Whiskey, not Whiskey River. My favorite version of Whiskey River is Mr. William Nelson's arrangement. I agree with your assessment of Chris Stapelton's ability, though.
Mike
I misquoted myself. Tennessee Whiskey was the song in the video written by two others for David Allen Coe. Gil
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 09:24 PM
Stapleton's "introduction" was much more entertaining for his live audience than it was for the You Tube viewers. Not very pertinent to bourbon drinkers. ZZZZ
Posted By: Der Ami Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/26/22 10:53 PM
GLS,
I stand corrected, it seems that more people than I have been confused as to the Possum's role.
Mike
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/28/22 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by keith
Is it a Ladies drink?

JR

+1...

I vote John Roberts' reply here "Best Reply of 2022!"

What the f.ck y’all on aboot? Wankers.

Posted By: ed good Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/28/22 06:25 PM
'georgia on mah mine"...

souns like foxie is anglin fur ah jawja duv hunt invite...
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/28/22 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
'georgia on mah mine"...

souns like foxie is anglin fur ah jawja duv hunt invite...

If he gets his nose any further up Stan’s arse he’s going to need a brain scientist to get it out.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/28/22 10:31 PM
Francis is a long distance friend that has had a standing invitation to visit and shoot doves with me for quite awhile. I greatly appreciate his service to our nation as a Marine. Others should, too.

Lonny, your insinuations/comments are crude, baseless and very telling. I pity you.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/28/22 11:15 PM
I pity you.

Pray for me, Stan. I’m gonna need all the help I can get.

God: Been waiting for that arsehole.

Saint Peter: Been looking at his record. Not good. Stan Hillis been prayin’ hard for ‘im.

God: (long pause) baaa…let him in. Send him to the shitty part of Heaven though.

Lonny: Thanks, Stan!
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 03:10 PM
25 pages, 50k views, 250 posts under 'Bourbon'.

Thread needs further distillation. 80% of it is drivel not on the subject.

I enjoy a good discussion about our national drink, but this isn't... and wasn't back in 2019.

How about we just let this slide down the page and go back to discussing something of importance, like why springs don't break?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
25 pages, 50k views, 250 posts under 'Bourbon'.

Thread needs further distillation. 80% of it is drivel not on the subject.

I enjoy a good discussion about our national drink, but this isn't... and wasn't back in 2019.

How about we just let this slide down the page and go back to discussing something of importance, like why springs don't break?

Sounds like you need a drink of bourbon. What's your preference?
JR
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 04:08 PM
If you're buying, Baker's on clean cracked ice in a Rauk tumbler.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 04:14 PM
What's your preference?
JR

https://www.instacart.com/products/18276493-ten-high-bourbon-whiskey-kentucky-750-ml

I’ve been told this is a favorite of Teamsters sitting in their car out in the parking lot on their lunch break.

Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 04:23 PM
Funny you mention that.

Alkies are creatures of habit.

Someone throws an empty 250ml plastic bottle from Popov in the ditch in front of my house a few times a week.
They collect at the flume.

The person must pound one almost everyday, and then tosses it in the same general location as they pass.
Like they gotta get it in before they arrive somewhere.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 04:27 PM

How about Ten High in a red Solo cup.

Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 04:47 PM

How about Ten High in a red Solo cup.

Go out and mow the grass. It's hot. You're sweaty.

Park the mower. Get a dry shirt.

Take a red Solo cup. Fill it halfway with ice. Add a double shot of Ten High. Add a splash of tonic. Top off with soda.

Park your considerable ass under a shade tree, and sip this through a straw. Your mood will slowly improve.

This is known as drinking 'long' or 'tall' and you will find considerable merit in this strategy.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 05:03 PM
Go out and mow the grass. It's hot. You're sweaty.

Park the mower. Get a dry shirt.

Take a red Solo cup. Fill it halfway with ice. Add a double shot of Ten High. Add a splash of tonic. Top off with soda.

Park your considerable ass under a shade tree, and sip this through a straw. Your mood will slowly improve.

This is known as drinking 'long' or 'tall' and you will find considerable merit in this strategy.

Thanks for that. I’ll consider it Plan B. I’ve got a feller somwers in Jawja that’s on a mission from God praying for me. I’m sticking with that strategy.

Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 05:13 PM
Is this "Rauk" tumbler a cult item, like runcible spoons or Red Solo cups? Where can I get one?? RWTF
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 05:19 PM
Jeff will drop it off at your door. Buy two, if you have any friends.

https://www.amazon.com/Rauk-Heavy-Tumbler-Clear-250/dp/B09W9ZD61S
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Is this "Rauk" tumbler a cult item, like runcible spoons or Red Solo cups? Where can I get one?? RWTF

If you ever get down to Stan’s to shoot birds swing by Brays Island. Prolly pick one up at the pro shop. Play a round of golf too.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 08:02 PM
What's your preference?
JR

https://www.instacart.com/products/18276493-ten-high-bourbon-whiskey-kentucky-750-ml

I’ve been told this is a favorite of Teamsters sitting in their car out in the parking lot on their lunch break.

A guy who thinks a buck a ball is sport would have a good feel for cheap booze, I suppose.

Or, meth.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Funny you mention that.

Someone throws an empty 250ml plastic bottle from Popov in the ditch in front of my house a few times a week.

The person must pound one almost everyday, and then tosses it in the same general location as they pass.

Set up some trail cams along the road. I’m guessing you’ll catch some ugly invasive species of toad-like vermin weaving down the road in a clapped out Oldsmobile with a Hoffa Now! bumper sticker reminiscing of its pappy filling his empty head of dreams of being a Teamster.

Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 09:10 PM
Not me roads.

I feel sorry for heavy drinkers. I know the toll it takes, and the strength of the calling.

Nope.
I just pick up the trash, and hope they find a better way forward.
Posted By: keith Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 09:59 PM
Funny you mention that.

I have over 1300 feet of roadside frontage, so I have had to pick up plenty of litter over the years, including empty alcoholic beverage cans and bottles. I never felt I was being targeted. More likely, the litterbugs simply tossed their trash at the point they were done with it.

But one co-worker years ago told me his rationale for tossing his empty alcohohic beverage containers on a residential lawn. He said that doing so is the environmentally responsible thing to do.

He went on to say that it is important to get rid of empties because of open container laws. But waiting to toss them on someone's lawn ensured that they would be picked up by the homeowner in short order. However, if one tossed them along a wooded or uninhabited section of road, they might lay there for many decades.

Some people are going to drink while driving, no matter what laws are passed. Even banning alcohol during prohibition couldn't stop determined drinkers. So I guess there are different levels of irresponsible behavior that we have to deal with.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 10:15 PM
Not me roads.

I feel sorry for heavy drinkers. I know the toll it takes, and the strength of the calling.

Nope.
I just pick up the trash, and hope they find a better way forward.

The Lonny Roads appreciation club.

Good on you.

Best,

Ted

I belong to the other club, the one that points and laughs at him. Charter member.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 10:40 PM
All this thread needs is for la Canadienne (Jimmy’ll get the joke. And yes I’m talking aboot you) to show up extolling the virtues of Crown Royal.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 11:08 PM
All I missed was the RBL.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 11:17 PM

Best,
Ted

I shotgun Ten High with it.

Go anywhere on your week off?

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/29/22 11:28 PM

Best,
Ted

Did you go buck a bird, big spender? ‘Kinda your thing. Also, sober up next time before you type aboot your crummy gun.

Bayfield. Madeline Island. Sand and Stockton Islands. Devils Island.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/30/22 02:33 PM
Crown Royal? Like Canadian whiskey is a legitimate use for alcohol.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/31/22 04:07 PM

Is there not one Canadian that is going to defend the honor of your whiskey? A wholesome and delicious beverage fit for a [censored - come on man!] (Royalty that is, not a homosexual) from these moonshine guzzling, mullet headed muppet Sons of the South?
No wonder a Canadian based team can’t win the Stanley Cup. Y’all are soft.

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/31/22 04:10 PM

Best,
Ted

Did you go buck a bird, big spender? ‘Kinda your thing. Also, sober up next time before you type aboot your crummy gun.

Best,
Ted

You didn’t actually think I #gaveashitwhereyouwent did you?

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/31/22 05:25 PM

Best,
Ted

Best,
Ted

You didn’t actually think I #gaveashitwhereyouwent did you?

I think you went on the usual two day bender, and woke up in the usual foul mood.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-Bourbon - 08/31/22 08:49 PM

Canadian whiskey is a rye blend.

Rye was once THE American whiskey, because we had rye grain in abundance and little corn.

If you actually want to learn about rye whiskey instead of simply throwing insults around, I recommend this article which is historically accurate and well researched unlike the majority of the drivel in this thread...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemic...of-american-rye-whiskey/?sh=4802d6b67c0a

I have a Bulleit in hand as I type this.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com