doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Floating gun cases - 12/31/18 09:14 PM
I picked up another padded, floating gun case Saturday at Mack's in Stuttgart. It's retailed by Browning, and at $24.99 I didn't pass it up. But, I've been thinking, do we know for sure they will really float with a big double barreled duck gun inside? I don't, but I'm going to find out. I'm not about to throw my HE Fox overboard in it, but I'm going to substitute something of equal weight tomorrow and toss it in one of my ponds to see.

The floating cases have really good padding, probably some type of closed cell foam, but I've got to know if it will really float my big Fox if we ever get caught "between a rock and a hard place".

https://www.mackspw.com/Browning-1419507052-Floating-Gun-Case-MOBL-52

SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Floating gun cases - 12/31/18 09:18 PM
Bet it floats but isn't waterproof...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Floating gun cases - 12/31/18 09:24 PM
No, I know it's not waterproof. The ends on all the "floating" gunslips just fold over and are strapped closed. If it floats ten pounds, that's enough for $24.99. wink

SRH
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Floating gun cases - 12/31/18 09:47 PM
I use the Avery.
I’m sure one from Mack’s is as good.
I tested it numerous times, and it floats a 32 inch Ithaca just fine.
But, once water is inside of it , it’s hard to dry out, so, you will be putting your gun into a wet case.

I dried mine out over a boot dryer. Safe in the knowledge that it will float a heavy gun, but also recognizing that I never want to do that again.
The wipes in my truck door are always at the ready for just such purposes.

Our managed duck sites are all travel canals between flooded fields. Mishaps occur:(.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Floating gun cases - 01/01/19 12:23 AM
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
I use the Avery.

I tested it numerous times, and it floats a 32 inch Ithaca just fine.

glad to hear that- my friend keeps saying he is going to test mine with the super Fox in it grin
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Floating gun cases - 01/01/19 12:44 AM
I've been using these for 20+ years, have 2 and they work as advertised. I keep the gun inside a soft slip and then seal in this. They're just a longer version of a kayaking dry bag. Trap some air in them and they'll float a heavy gun, no problem.

They're no longer made but come up on Ebay from time to time...

This looks like a modern, albeit more expensive, version....

https://nomaralaska.com/products/waterproof-rifle-scabbard
Posted By: tunes Re: Floating gun cases - 01/01/19 09:42 PM
not mine, but here's a link--

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/L-L-Bean-Gun-Boat-Gun-Case-with-flannel-liner/382701263866?hash=item591ac5dbfa:g:WJ0AAOSwaiBcAvWC:rk:1:pf:0
Posted By: old colonel Re: Floating gun cases - 01/01/19 10:12 PM
Many years ago I got in a wind storm on a lake which swamped my duck boat, the closed celled floating case worked out beautifully making it easy to grab hold of my gun as I waded ashore.

A rare circumstance and due to my bad judgment that day, but I will always use a floating case when boat hunting. I will also not tempt fate in the face of horrific weather
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Floating gun cases - 01/01/19 10:39 PM
Just remember, Mike,

Ships are safe at Harbor, but that’s not what the’re for.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Floating gun cases - 01/02/19 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Just remember, Mike,

Ships are safe at Harbor, but that’s not what they’re for.

Excellent quote, attributed to pastor Wm. Shedd

SRH
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Floating gun cases - 01/02/19 12:26 AM
Open water duck hunting is unforgiving, but is also very exciting.

Here on the Great Lakes it’s just another way to do it. A floating case just makes sense.

I have a 21ft sculling boat
And love spot and stalk duck hunting.

https://goo.gl/images/GpWWh7
Posted By: skeettx Re: Floating gun cases - 01/02/19 01:52 AM
I use an Osagian Missourian
https://www.osagian.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1

And if I need to go far the cases are tied to the gunnels of the canoe, till we get to shore.

And, RARELY, if I hunt from the canoe the gun is corded to the canoe with about a 6 foot cord, so if I were to drop the gun in the water, it would be retrievable.

Motor? Either a 9.5 Johnson or a 55 pound thrust Newport Kayak short shaft trolling motor.

Mike

Posted By: builder Re: Floating gun cases - 01/02/19 02:37 AM
I am not a deep sea fisherman however when out with friends that are they always attach a line to their expensive reels.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Floating gun cases - 01/03/19 12:00 AM
This is one of my duck boats ...............one man. When I hunt ducks here in Georgia, I'm generally alone. You know ..............loose lips sink ships, and all that.

I use it to go places like this..........

And this ........... (there was another guy along that morning........

It's a very effective tool, going on 25 years old, now .......

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com