doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC OT / Pocket knife - 02/01/19 10:42 PM
I'm looking to get a vintage pocket knife fitting someone of my age. Not a new military or even a large one.What do most of you guys carry around and what do you recomend?
Of course I'm thinking of something of quality and that will always have some value.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/01/19 10:55 PM
Look for the model Eisenhower carried and gifted to many. It's very sweet. Can't remember name at moment, but it will come to me.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/01/19 10:57 PM
Made by Case, now called the Eisenhower Model. Good selection of them on eBay, ranging in price from $20 to $150 depending on age and condition.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/01/19 11:22 PM
As a boy you knew you were grown up when you were given a Barlow knife. Then you spent countless hours sharpening it. If your mother or father was worried you would cut your fingers off you learned to not oversharpen the large blade. Mom or dad would check that one but often not the other. It was much harder to open the smaller blade. So it will often went unchecked. Mine was sharp enough to shave with. Well both were after a couple days. A boy must sharpen a knife or he felt cheated.

After that I had many others. Buck in multiple forms. Schrader, puma and
Case as well. But that Barlow was my first.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/01/19 11:25 PM
victorinox swiss army knife...

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Victorinox-Homepage/cms/home
Posted By: moses Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/01/19 11:26 PM
If it is not Spyderco how can it be a real knife ?

O.M Fan boy
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/01/19 11:32 PM
I'm 67, and I first had a Barlow. But, Grandaddy carried a "German made" Tree Brand. There were two Tree Brands sold, and the "German made" one had different steel, superior steel, IMO. Even though my Dad owned a very big country store and sold knives, it was many years before I saved up enough to buy myself a German Made Tree Brand three blade Stockman's knife.

I still have one of my Grandad's. That is the knife that I remember from my childhood.

SRH
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/01/19 11:46 PM
There's a lot of imported junk in the marketplace.

Fortunately, there are still good American pocket knife makers at work, some of them very good indeed.

I prefer an overall length of about 3 1/4" in a 2 blade knife, the typical clip and pen blades.

Case knives of this general pattern were my favorites, as was a green scale Remington for many years.

Then I discovered Queen and Great Eastern Cutlery. End result is a drawer full of nice American made knives to choose from daily.

My favorite is a GEC 'White Owl' with American Elk scales and 2 blades of 440C. It's a little jewel.

I'm betting once you discover the online vendors like 'Knives Ship Free' your collection will grow.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 12:10 AM
My two favorite styles of pocket knives are the 3-blade Stockman & the 2-blade Trapper. I have each of these styles in different sizes & also my different makers. Some may not be considered "Elitest" but have had good results with most, including Case, Schrade, Uncle Henry, Buck, Camillus & others.

I once had a 3-blade stockman by Schrade that had the prettiest Red bone handles I had about ever laid eyes on. When I got it the large blade had been about sharpened away but the others were all very good, hardly used. I made a new blade for it out of D-2 tool steel as I recall & it was one fine knife. One day at work I went to the tool crib to get an end mill & needed one which had been sharpened down to a particular size. When these were sharpened they were dipped in a plastic coating. I got this knife out to cut the plastic away from the flutes so I could mike across them & when I found the right size I went back to my machine but failed to pick up the knife. As soon as I got to the machine I realized I had left the knife & went back to get it, & was gone. I enquired all over the shop for it to the extent one co-worker told me if I would just Shut Up he would give me a knife. Told him that wasn't the point, I didn't want his knife I wanted the Low Life who Stole mine to Fess up & return it. It never appeared. That other gentleman did bring me a knife over & laid it on my toolbox. I tried to give it back but he would not take it. I knew him well enough to know he wasn't the Theif. This was a 2-blade Camillus trapper & is a good knife, it just didn't have those pretty bone handles.
Posted By: battle Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 01:05 AM
Remington
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 01:06 AM
I remember the Barlow knife. Around 1970 we used to get them free in bags of milk replacer for calves.
Posted By: skeettx Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 01:25 AM
Schrade Walden 34 OldTimer

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=34OT+knife&_sacat=0
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 02:11 AM
As I'm not really recommending a knife, I guess this is a bit off topic, but what the hell,
did you guys ever read Pat McManus's short story " First Knife"?
I think it is a really funny short story, & soo true in so many ways...from that first cut, to whittling, & the strange way it suddenly disappeared one night from your room, to that amazing & many times thought of request....."EErr Son do have your knife on ya",
and you would say in your best John Wayne voice Yes here ya go , but be careful , its razor sharp.
I am glad to say that I still have my real first knife,
given to me by my dad, its just a small pen knife , but I love it dearly
cheers
franc
Posted By: Brian Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 02:15 AM
2-piper is correct in his observation of makers; Case, Schrade, Uncle Henry, Buck, Camillus all make or have made some excellent traditional "pocket knives. great choices. just make sure the ends of the knife assembly don't have any sharp corners which wear hole sin pockets quickly.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 02:40 AM
I've been a knife enthusiast for many, many years. I have had knives from cheap to expensive, always looking for something better for everyday use. I have Benchmades, and many other stainless steel blade knives but, for my usage, give me a carbon steel blade. The Benchmades take forever to truly sharpen, and won't hold the edge very long. My carbon steel Case knives will take an edge easily and quickly and hold it longer than any stainless blade I have ever owned. My custom damascus knives are the same.............. easy to sharpen, and hold an edge. I've come to the conclusion that stainless blades are something I just don't need.

This is my everyday carry knife. I've about decided I need nothing better. Actually, I'm doubtful there is anything better. This old yellow handled Case will make the hair just "pop!" off your arm.

My favorite one blade, easy opening knife is a Kershaw Leek. Excellent steel in that knife.

SRH
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 03:11 AM
I currently carry a Robeson Shuredge (made in Perry NY) 2 blade jack knife (both blades open at the same end) with the main blade a clip blade and the other a pen blade. I purchased the knife new in 1962. It has strawberry jigged bone handles.

Or a Case XX 2 blade equal end pen knife (blades open at opposite ends) with 2 pen blades. This one has stainless steel blades and jigged red bone handles. I've had this knife about 20 years.

I've carried others that I have lost, sadly.

If I have pants on with a pocket, I'll have a pocket knife in my left front pocket.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 04:13 AM
I like a US-made Buck "Solitaire" for everyday carry if you can find one. One blade, just big enough to do just about anything but won't terrify anyone (this is an issue in slurban America, I have found). For formal occasions when you can't load up them dude clothes with hardware, a little US-made Buck "Solo" will do a lot of indoor work and be invisible.

For outdoor heavier duty cutting, I like a Japanese-made Spyderco "Green Endura Plain Blade" that my son took to Afghanistan twice w/the USMC and gave back to me when he separated after his 5-year contract.

The problem with Case folders is I can't make up my mind which I prefer, and that can get expensive....
Posted By: LeFusil Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Mike A.
I like a US-made Buck "Solitaire" for everyday carry if you can find one. One blade, just big enough to do just about anything but won't terrify anyone (this is an issue in slurban America, I have found). For formal occasions when you can't load up them dude clothes with hardware, a little US-made Buck "Solo" will do a lot of indoor work and be invisible.

For outdoor heavier duty cutting, I like a Japanese-made Spyderco "Green Endura Plain Blade" that my son took to Afghanistan twice w/the USMC and gave back to me when he separated after his 5-year contract.
The problem with Case folders is I can't make up my mind which I prefer, and that can get expensive....

The Endura is a great knife, VG-10 is an amazing steel. My personal edc is a spyderco native, it’s just about perfect. I used to carry a spyderco Manix, but realized after awhile that it’s a bit large. If I wasn’t carrying the Native, I’d probably have a Delica with a VG-10 blade.
Posted By: keith Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 05:26 AM
I always carry a pocket knife and would feel naked without one. For a while, I managed to lose my pocket knife about once every year or two, and had to buy another. But then I bought a small Swiss Victorinox that I managed to hang onto for roughly 10-11 years. It was a sweet little knife that held a razor edge for a long time between sharpening. Then, in spring of 2016, I went to a Donald Trump rally before he was nominated. We parked at a local ball stadium, and were then bussed to an airport about 10 miles away where Trump's jet would land for the speech.

When we got there, we had to go through security, and anyone who had pocket knives, lighters, etc, had to remove them from their pockets prior to entering. I couldn't take my Victorinox knife back to my truck because it was miles away, but I hated to give up my knife. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I decided that I really wanted to see and hear Trump, and that I could just buy a new knife. I reluctantly left it on a security table in a pile of contraband near the metal detector and went through. I was sure I would never see it again.

After the rally, thousands of people left the hangar before me, and filed past that security station. When I got to the exit, I noticed my Victorinox knife was sitting on the table right where I left it. I picked it up and put it back in my pocket where it remains today. Thousands of pro-Trump Republicans leaving the hangar could have taken my knife or any other knife that was there, but nobody touched it. I don't believe the same thing would have happened with a crowd of Liberal Democrats.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 05:37 AM
Boker Tree Brand made in Solingen Germany Trapper model or a Case Trapper, both with bone scales.
Posted By: Pete Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 06:35 AM
I have a horse ranch and it is an absolute requirement to have a knife handy. Opening bales of hay, splicing hotwires, freeing a horse in a fraction of a moment caught in a rope or hay twine. I am never without a knife. It is always a Swiss Army knife with the blade, scissors, and toothpick being the most used. Not a big one or a small one...just a handy size.

As for other knives, I have had many custom ones for my gun shows and I make many more out of fancy handle material and always in Damascus which seems to be the best for ease of sharpening and holding an edge. Having a lapidary background, I make both knife handles and 1911 grips out of jade, petrified wood, ruby in zoisite, and every kind of fossil and exotic wood, stag, and bone available. My two 1911's have grips of petrified Tyranosaurus Rex and stag looking Wooly Mammoth ivory.

But my carry knife is a Swiss Army knife.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 12:14 PM
I agree about good damascus being easy to sharpen and holding an edge well. A close friend made several for me and they will get" serious sharp" very quickly. I carried a simple, one blade Swiss army for years. It is a stainless knife that sharpens well.

I switch around on what I carry for everyday, according to what time of year it is, which dictates what we're doing on the farm. Right now it's the Case trapper, but later in the spring it will probably be the Kershaw Leek, for ease of getting to, and opening. Assisted openers are nice when you've got one hand occupied and need to get the knife out and open quickly.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 12:42 PM

Here's my daily carry of late. Myself I never cared for small pocket knives...cheap Italian made D2 steel holds an edge fairly well.
Just the right length for filleting turkeys or poking something.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 01:39 PM
I have always like the Case series for pocket knives-- ?? What do all you learned gents use for sharpening. I use a Smiths Arkansas stone, two sided, one coarse, the other side finer grit stone. And 3-in-1 oil-- finish on a leather belt section- like a barber strops his razors with I suppose. RWTF
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 01:44 PM
I usually use a Gatco sharpening kit (similar to a Lansky).

I have taken to carrying pocket knives with clips. Mostly a Boker for work and Kershaw otherwise. Both with 4" blades.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 02:06 PM
I don't like to carry a heavy knife. The Gerber lock-back slimline has a blade long enough to do something with and weighs nothing; doesn't wear out my pocket.

Get a Smokey Mountain Knife Company catalog and shop til you drop...Geo
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 02:13 PM
Geo, you might like this one. It is very light with Titanium and wood handle, 3.5" blade. It is a Boker Trapper. On Amazon.

Posted By: Buzz Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 02:14 PM
I like a Case single blade trapper to carry. That knife rides great in the pocket for me.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 02:19 PM
Couldn't open the link, Brent. Just as well because if I get on a knife buying jag my wife makes me keep them in the boxes and she gives them to the sons and sons in law for Christmas...Geo

Gee whiz, next I looked t had opened itself!

By the way I completely agree with the first sentence in your new tag. Wish you'd reconsider the second though.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 03:00 PM
I carry a NRA knife, not the best quality but what it says is more important than holding an edge forever.

Bill
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 03:05 PM
On our 10th wedding anniversary
my bride gave me a Gerber Paul.

Posted By: Jim Cloninger Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 03:29 PM

I like a regular sized "trapper" not the mini ones. I have trappers from Case, Remington, Moore, Carl Schlieper, Tree Brand, Uncle Henry, J.A. Henckels, Schatt & Morgan, and KA-BAR. I like the KA-BAR best, made by the Union Cutlery Company in New York. I use it for every day. It's a "Dog's Head" trapper, serial # 018/500. It came with a Certificate of Authenticity and a beautiful dog's head lapel pin. My best trapper is a custom made trapper by Jim Sasser out of Colorado. It has a "skinner" blade and a "capeing" blade. The "capeing" blade locks and the scales are of elk antler. I use this knife while hunting.
Jim
PS - Wow, I have 8 every day trappers. I must like them!
Posted By: 2-piper Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 03:30 PM
I have on several occasions been in Smoky Mountain Knifeworks. Its located near Sevierville TN north of Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge. If you're ever in the area be sure & visit them. Well worth your time.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 03:37 PM
Wow- judged by the size of the spurs, and the beard- that was some Tom-- How much did the boy weigh, with feathers, both legs attached, and the beard-?? 20 lbs.??

I got a large Tom this past Oct.- private land, gave it to the farmer for his smoker- watched him dress it out using a Buck folder- didn't take him long with that well-worn Buck knife..
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I have on several occasions been in Smoky Mountain Knifeworks. Its located near Sevierville TN north of Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge. If you're ever in the area be sure & visit them. Well worth your time.

Miller, I have visited that store years ago and bought a few knives. Be prepared if you go to spend a lot of time looking at all the different types of knives. I have also bought some knives from them through their email site.

If I don't have a knife in my pocket I feel like I am not fully dressed and always feel to see that I have one.
Right now my carry all is a Gerber Dime, multi-blade and is quite handy. I also carry a Leatherman Squirt.
A thing about Leatherman, their knives are guaranteed for 25 years. I sent two Leatherman Squirts back because one of the plier jaws broke, they replaced them with the newer Squirt.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 04:17 PM
Yeah, I too like David feel a loss without a blade in my pocket. I'd say Boker or Tree Brand, but don't forget Boker Arbolito is sourced from Argentina. Hen & Rooster would be another. But the knife I tote the most is a Wenger(centre)...

Pocket Knives...

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 04:33 PM
I have made my living in the bindery end of a commercial lithography operation for many years. I have never met a Journeyman, Apprentice, or Journey Production Worker, with more than 2 weeks on the job, who didn’t have a pocket knife. I’ve given a few JPWs pocket knives over the years, worked at a few shops that had a hard time holding onto staff, and new hires often showed up without a knife.
My pocket knives tend to see some abuse. I prefer stainless, it gets dull fast, but, sharpens up fast.
This one is lightweight, my Dad gave it to me about 2 decades ago: A Schrade SP3:

I run it over a Smith’s V block 3-4 times a week.

Favorite pocket knife, is the Benchmade self opener. I don’t typically carry it, however, it was a gift from a friend who carried it all over the world in the military, and Minnesota has a prohibition on self openers:

A Buck 500. I liked these, as it came with a sheath, and got the thing out of your pocket, and put it on your belt. In addition to the knife, I’ll have a combination tape measure, and keys to the various machines at work in my pocket, and it gets crowded in there. But, people who don’t work in the bindery or pressroom, simply don’t like to see sheaths hanging off the grunts, and complain to management about it.
I simply don’t press the issue, any longer:

Frost Cutlery:

I’ll bet I’ve given ten of these away, mostly to new bindery staff. You can get two at a gun show for $20, at least you used to be able to. Decent steel, not irreplaceable, good everyday knife for a new guy in printing, and he will use it every work day.

Hubertus self opener:

Another gift from a friend. German “rostfree” blade, stag handle, nickle
bolsters, and some decent file work on the back of the blade. Very handy little knife, and not used often-see above.

Like the rest of my stuff, not a collection, more of an accumulation.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: montenegrin Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 04:49 PM
Victorinox 24/7. Well, almost smile

Cheers,
Jani
Posted By: damascus Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 05:19 PM
Carrying a knife here in the UK is rather politically incorrect these days, a lot of knife crime in recent years has reduced the carrying of even a pocket pen knives.
It is a thing the older generation like my self do now because the chances of having to explain why you are carrying one diminishes with age if stopped by a police officer.
That said this is my pocket knife given to me sometime in my teens, it is obvious from the picture a Victorinox Swiss Army model that shows the scars of having been dropped more times than I can remember over the last 50 plus years.
I have pulled out the most useful pieces it has to offer, Corkscrew well not all wine comes in bottles with a twist off top, Positive/Phillips, it is a it will do version of both. Bottle opener Beer usually, 2 screwdrivers large/small. Can opener, finally at my age the most important of all X10 magnifying glass when you forget your spectacles.

Posted By: Matt Stolley Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 05:31 PM
My personal every day utility pocket knife is a Victorinox Swiss Army "Spartan".
It has 2 blades, can and bottle opener/screwdriver combos and corkscrew.
Just the right size in my opinion.

https://www.smkw.com/victorinox-spartan-red-composition
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 05:32 PM
Not recommended, but, on several occasions I have walked through metal detectors with the little Schrade in my pocket, forgetting it was there. They have missed it, every time. The handle is some sort of glass filled plastic.
I truly forget I have the little guy on me.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 05:59 PM
I still have the first knife my Papaw gave me. One of my first loves as a boy was that knife. I like to carry a small Eisenhower style case with me now.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/02/19 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: 67galaxie
I still have the first knife my Papaw gave me. One of my first loves as a boy was that knife. I like to carry a small Eisenhower style case with me now.

How I wish I still had my first knife, a 'Kamp King' given to me at what would now be considered an insufficient age. No better way to teach a child about responsibility and the fact that he is trusted if he behaves himself. My dad carried a pocket knife and of course I wanted to also. I cherished that thing but of course one day it just disappeared.

Do to this thread and the fact that I just can't resist the damn internet, a new GEC #44 is now on the way. This one is a 'gunstock' pattern with 1095 blades and cocobolo scales branded 'Northfield Un-X-ld'.

It won't replace the Kamp King. Nothing ever will.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 03:24 PM
I've carried a Kershaw lockblade with 2 blades for 20-25 years, it was gifted by a dear friend and I'm never without it. No body mentioned Kershaw so I had to throw it into the mix.
Mike
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 03:44 PM
This may sound silly, but I've been using the same standard 4-blade Boy Scout knife for almost 35 years now. Bought it when I was an adult leader. Not the first knife I had, but it does the job. Takes a nice edge, holds it, and stands up to abuse. Don't use the can opener - carry a P38 - and the screwdriver/bottle opener gets minimal use in these days of twist-offs. The awl works great. Made by Imperial in Providence, I think I got my $6 (or whatever it cost back in the 80s) out of it.
Posted By: postoak Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 03:48 PM
My everyday carry pocket knife is an Opinel No 8, inexpensive but holds a good edge.
Posted By: GLS Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 03:58 PM
I've had more than a handful of pocket knives over the years and there have been some coveted but never bought. The old Remington Bullet series is one such knife which has been around since 1920 in various models. Mr. Boyd, long since dead, was a local collector and had several. There are modern reproductions. Aside from the ones mentioned, Puma is another outstanding German knife. While a car in this state is entitled to an antique tag after 25 years; even though I've had my Gerbers for at least that long, they are hardly vintage or valuable from a monetary standard. Use value is another matter. My personal favorite is the little Gerber E-Z Out with a 2.25" blade, lock back, one-handed opener, stainless blade, and a 1" long serrated section. It has a belt clip which was put on by Gerber to insure loss and turnover sales. I've lost several over the years and resigned to keep them in the pocket rather than clipped to a belt. I carry mine hunting and fishing saltwater and fresh. No rust. The serrated section is invaluable for cutting cordage or even rope without dulling the front section. I don't know when serration first appeared on pocket knives, but it is a great innovation.
From June through October I keep this mushroom knife in the truck. My daughter bought it for me before she moved back from France almost 5 years ago. It's nothing fancy, not hollow ground, but it works for the purpose intended and it was the thought behind it that counts the most. Gil

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 04:17 PM
Some have mentioned their boy scout knife. I still have mine around here somewhere. It may have been my first knife, but I doubt it.. Can't remember not having a pocket knife..Geo
Posted By: King Brown Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 04:44 PM
Hey, Gil. I got my Opinel in Paris. Super light, holds edge. Carry mine every day. Inexpensive, too.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 06:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
No body mentioned Kershaw so I had to throw it into the mix.
Mike

Originally Posted By: Stan
My favorite one blade, easy opening knife is a Kershaw Leek. Excellent steel in that knife.

I switch around on what I carry for everyday, according to what time of year it is, which dictates what we're doing on the farm. Right now it's the Case trapper, but later in the spring it will probably be the Kershaw Leek, for ease of getting to, and opening. Assisted openers are nice when you've got one hand occupied and need to get the knife out and open quickly.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 06:47 PM
I lost several to my elementary school principal, Mr. Tyre. He would meet me in the hall, look down at my pockets and crook his index finger in that "Come with me" motion. He'd lead me to his office, sit down behind his desk, have me stand in front of it and say "Stan, what's that in your pocket?". I'd put off the inevitable as long as possible, but he'd make me empty my pockets, and take my knife and drop in in his center desk drawer with all the others......... with a big ol' grin.

He died a few years ago, but he would see me occasionally in a restaurant, after I was 40+ years old, and look at me with that same expression and crook that finger over and over, motioning me over. I'd walk over, he'd say "Give me that knife, boy." And, I'd reply, "Nope, not now ............. Mr.Tyre." We'd both have a good laugh.

Strange that he would let me bring a shotgun and shells to school on the bus, and wouldn't let me carry a little pocket knife.

SRH
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
No body mentioned Kershaw so I had to throw it into the mix.
Mike

SRH

I mentioned them as well. I have one on me right now. Excellent knives indeed.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/03/19 11:42 PM
You guys might enjoy the 20 minute shop tour posted on the Great Eastern Cutlery website.

The best part is the fact that the head man there is a real cutler and can obviously do any job in the shop.

That's the kind of man I always wanted to work for, somebody who isn't just a paper pusher and can actually do the job he asks me to do and appreciate what it takes.

Better look now. Quality production knife makers in the USA are a vanishing breed. Many of the brands listed here are now produced elsewhere.

Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 03:58 AM
Stan, I just bought a German Tree Brand Stockman with yellow bone handles. I liked it so much I ordered another while they were available.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 08:50 AM
I carried a Case bone handled pen knife since I was in 2nd grade. In my 30s, I started buying different pocket knives. Many have come and gone. Last buy was a cheap metal bolstered lockback. But a couple years ago I ran across a reserected old American knife company, Queen Cutlery. I picked up a blue bonehandled 3 1/4" "toothpick" with a D2 blade for a EDC. That blade can hold an edge and is about as rust resistant as many SS blades. Hard to sharpen, unless i use a diamond lap.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 12:53 PM
OK I went on Ebay and bid on a Case Eisenhower knife but at last minute got out bid. I suppose I will keep trying.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 02:18 PM
Lately I've been carrying a two blade stag handle Henckels...one blade is a saw.....you never know when you might have to saw your way out of a bad predicament!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 02:40 PM
If you are going to bid on EBay you are better off if you use a bid service like esnipe. Set you max bid, time for that bid and let the computer do it for you. Prevents paying too much because you got sucked into a bidding war. Makes sure you don’t miss bidding because you got busy or forgot. And most important never forget almost anything on EBay will have another similar item come up again so don’t go crazy.

Also some people can’t spell so they list items which most people never find with a search. Like Ithaca items spelled Ithica. Think outside the box.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 03:51 PM
I have a Buck Model 309, which I've carried for at least 20 years. Nice little two-bladed pocket knife. They really hold an edge.

Mine was made in the USA. Don't know if Buck still makes them here or elsewhere, but check to see if that matters to you.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 04:42 PM
Looks like Queen Cutlery closed up about a year ago. They were the oldest continuous knife maker in the states. Opened under Schatt & Morgan in 1902 and became Queen in 1933 and produced under both labels.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 05:57 PM
I have a Buck 382, 3½" 2-blade trapper. This was a gift from my late son-in-law at least 10 years ago, but less than 20, don't recall the exact time now. The "Skinner" blade is marked China. In spite of the China mark, I have carried this knife a lot. It seems to take a good edge & hold it well, I have had no complaint with its performance for my purposes. It is for me a very useful size.
Posted By: keith Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 06:04 PM
KY Jon is absolutely right about early bidding on E bay or any other auction. All you do is give the competition time to think and decide to spend more. And I have always searched for Ithaca items under the correct spelling , and the incorrect spelling "Ithica." When you search under "Ithica" your only competition is guys who can't spell. Unfortunately, there are a lot of them.

I once was typing too fast when doing a search on E bay for French Walnut gunstock blanks. I misspelled it "Frech" walnut, and four nice two-piece blanks popped up listed with the same misspelling. I was the only bidder, and naturally won for the very reasonable starting bid. They actually had correct grain layout, unlike a lot of wood sold on E bay, and when the guy shipped them, he threw in four extra forend blanks. But good deals on E bay are few and far between anymore.
Posted By: RWG Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 11:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Looks like Queen Cutlery closed up about a year ago. They were the oldest continuous knife maker in the states. Opened under Schatt & Morgan in 1902 and became Queen in 1933 and produced under both labels.

Chuck H:

You are correct. FWIW a number of unfinished and seconds from Queen and S&M come up on Ebay. Buyer beware.

For a carry knife I am partial to Case Slimline trappers. Most are single blades. But, occasionally a run of two blade Slimline trappers hit the market. The single blade is quite useful for most of my needs.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/04/19 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: riflegunbuilder
Stan, I just bought a German Tree Brand Stockman with yellow bone handles. I liked it so much I ordered another while they were available.

Good knife. Do they still have "Solingen" embossed on the big clip blade?

Good to hear from you, old friend. Been a long time .......too long.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/05/19 04:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H

I bought a used Queen Steel stag handled two blade "trapper" back in 1970, while in college. It is an impressive, big knife. It has been sharpened so many times the blades no longer resemble their original shapes. I still have it. The clip blade is stamped at the base "Q Steel".

SRH
Posted By: 2-piper Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/05/19 02:23 PM
I googled Buck model 382 yesterday. I found the Buck site & that they have a "History" service. They actually request a picture, but I didn't send one. They said an answer could take up to two weeks, but I received one via email this morning. Seems the 382 trapper was introduced in 2006 using 420HC steel in the blades. The down-pointing arrow following the 3/82 on the clip blade is a date code which said mine was made in 2007. My Son-in-law was killed in an auto accident Jan 3, 2008, so I am thinking he gave me this knife for Christmas about a month before he was killed.

I suppose I should put it in the safe for keeping it safe, but it just means a lot more to me in my pocket, so I'll keep carrying it & hope I don't lose it.

Also did a search on 420HC & found it contains 45% carbon & 18% Chrome. It normally hardens to about 55 RC & is considered one of the better stainless steels for knife blades, following closely 440C. In spite of the fact I generally prefer a high carbon steel blade, I have been very pleased with this knife. I have generally found that point of origin is more a matter of Pride than actual metallurgy. I would prefer it said USA than China, but this fact has not actually hurt the usefulness of this knife.
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/05/19 08:19 PM
Must say I'm with those who carry a Victorinox. A pocket knife daily carry for me must be reasonably light and not too big. I have the "waiter" model with a large cutting blade, a small screw driver/bottle opener with wire-stripping groove, and the corkscrew. The knife has a toothpick, very indifferent quality pair of tweezers, and a very small eyeglass screwdriver that itself screws into the corkscrew. Won't admit how many TSA now owns as I forget to put them in checked baggage....

Now, when I'm in Africa hunting --- but that's a whole different thread.

Regards
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/05/19 10:27 PM
FWIW-- First shop rule I learned at age 13- Never, ever touch another man's tools or go into his tool chest. Don't borrow tools either- My Granddad taught me that a thief is lower than a snake's hindmost tit- and a thief that steals another man's tools (pocket knives included) is the worst of all, as he is depriving that man of the means to provide for his family-- RWTF
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/06/19 03:39 PM
I just remembered.....when I was working for the railroad on their fueling systems they would not allow me to carry a pocket knife. Something about not considering it a tool....never figured that one out.
Posted By: RWG Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 02:08 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Case-Cutlery-Folding-Pocket-Knife-Slimline-Trapper-CA65307/332380052096
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 02:47 AM
It's been my habit for many years to carry a knife for a year or two, then retire it and try another one. Consequently, I have many retired knives. Cases, Schrades, Solingen, Kissing Cranes, Moore Made, and others.

About five years ago I got one that I cannot seem to retire and it is one that I never thought I would like.

It's a Kershaw 4380. #1 wife gave it to me for my birthday. It is a muskrat design with one large clip point and a smaller (what I would call a grafting) blade. She knows next to nothing about knives and got it because it had a pretty handle. I gave her a penny for it of course.

The part I thought I wouldn't like is the thumb studs for opening.

It holds an edge reasonably well and is a comfortable pocket carry.

I've only used two other Kershaw knives. A Ken Onion and a Chive. Both are retired. I carried the chive a lot when I was wearing slacks and a noose around my neck every day.

But the 4380 is the only one that I would purposely buy another one of.

On a side note. For many years when hunting, fishing or ranch work I carried a Schrade LB7. It was a tool and the five or so that I have show it. Just before this past Christmas I bought a little fixed blade knife made by a fellow over in Florida. His name is Dave Schlessinger and his trade mark is "Crashblades". The one I have is called a "Neck Knife" as he makes the sheath to be worn around the neck. I got #1 wife one with bluejean scales and this latest one has scales made from stabilized Texas Mountain Laurel. I have carried it every day and used it for some Godawful things. It is as sharp as the day it arrived. He makes them from an old timber circular saw blade and his heat treating is the secret potion. He has some you tubes. I also bought five filet knives from him for Christmas presents for my sons and a good friend. He made them to my specs. They are stainless with Texas Mountain Laurel handles. I sent him the wood for the scales. I have grown to like that little fixed blade more than the LB7.

Alan

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 03:07 AM
Last pocket knife I bought was last year. It is an Italian Campolin stiletto. Too big and heavy for everyday carry, but I reserve it for special occasions .............like deacon's meetings. Very good quality. Lloyd3 turned me on to Campolins. Legal for concealed carry in GA, even without a CCL.

SRH
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: armjr
I got #1 wife one with bluejean scales and this latest one has scales made from stabilized Texas Mountain Laurel.

You lost me. I don’t have any friends that would buy an ex a knife.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 03:08 AM
Oh, I believe it has been discontinued (the 4380), so I guess it would qualify as vintage.

Alan
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 03:39 AM
Not an Ex. Just the first, and last. We've got 42 years of Wedded Bliss going on.

Alan
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 03:40 AM
Cool. Congrats.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 01:34 PM
Get you some spenders Stan...
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 06:27 PM
I like items made in the USA. I'm also a Remington man, so you can see where this is going. At one time, Remington was the biggest knife producer in the world. It all stopped for WW2. I carry a Remington bullet knife in one pocket [ one of the 20 I own ], and a Remington Boy Scout knife in the other. I believe Buck now makes bullet knives for Remington. Stay clear of their 10 to 15$ knives - they're made in China. If you go on the net to Smokey Mountain punch in knives made in the USA. That way you'll stay clear of their junk.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/07/19 07:29 PM
https://steelrivercompany.com/collections/all-products/products/steel-river-redwood-stiletto

Not a switchblade guy, but I bought one of these off a junk-mail ad for $9.95. I did not expect much the the knife seems pretty good to me...Geo
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/08/19 11:16 AM
Stan, I sent you a picture to your phone of the Boker yesterday.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/08/19 01:59 PM
Good luck hearing back from him I don't think he knows how to reply to a text....

Just saying
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/08/19 05:12 PM
Armjr
Do you have a photo of the 4380 and the filet knives the gentleman made for you in Florida?
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/08/19 05:41 PM
I do. I will try to post them. The 4380 has tons of pictures if you Google it.

Alan
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/08/19 05:45 PM
I think the photo has to be on one of those photo sites to post it here. I don't do those sites.

Maybe someone can suggest an alternative?

Alan
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/08/19 06:48 PM
They are posted on another forum but I don't know if Dave would want me to post a link to another forum.

Alan
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/08/19 07:21 PM

Alan
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/08/19 07:24 PM
The four across the top were for my sons (and one for myself). The filet knife on the bottom was for my friend, and the small knife is the neck knife. I asked him to make a belt sheath for it for me though. It is actually more similar to what he calls his "Bird and Trout".

Alan
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/09/19 10:27 PM
First class workmanship-- stunning..
Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/10/19 12:16 AM
AND, they are first class utilitarian as well. In the lake where we fish we are fortunate to have a breeding population of Tilapia. Regardless of how the fish are biting we can pick up enough tilapia for a meal(s) during cold weather, and they are much healthier for you than their farm raised cousins.

I cleaned 14 medium to large sized Tilapia and never touched the blade to a stone. I have done this twice and still not sharpened the knife. It is as sharp as it was when I got it. He does some kind of special heat treating on the stainless steel where he heats it between stainless steel foil and then quenches it in Aluminum blocks. Whatever it is, it works great.

Some years ago I was using my favorite filet knife and broke the sharp point off of it. It broke in that sort of "tanto" angle and I just kept using it. I found that I liked it much better than with a point and I stuck my off hand much less (not at all) with no point. I told my boys that If I got another knife, the first thing I was going to do was grind the point off of it.

When I asked Dave to make these for me I sent him a profile of the blade I wanted. He did it perfectly. They are four of a kind. The one at the bottom is his regular filet knife profile.

Alan
Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/10/19 04:58 PM
Close; but no cigar: Schrade "Trapper" 2 of the same blade "Old Timer."
Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: OT / Pocket knife - 02/10/19 05:12 PM
Hi; I worked for a "Cabela's Gun Library" for 5 years, and carried a
Benchmade self-opener. When Occasionally asked if it was "legal" to carry in Nebraska, I would say "Who is going to ask a 70 year old man to see his knife?" Anyway,the spring that opened it broke, after I retired, and Benchmade said they didn't make the knife model anymore, and didn't have any spare parts.
That knife was really handy for opening boxes, etc.

I now live in Lincoln, NE, and see a store has opened that carries "Benchmade's." They are kinda pricey, but if I live long enough, I will probably own another one.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, Ne.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com