doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Franc Otte Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 12:19 AM
Hi lads,
I was dropping of my Greener pigeon hammergun at my FFL for shipping, & was checking out the few sxs guns he had, one caught my eye. It was an A grade Philly Fox, #30907. It seemed in nice condition, kinda nice wood, some faint colour...
I checked the date code in the Useful info department here...around 1925, or so?
If in good condition, would this gun be worth 1600?
I'm not a fan of American guns...but it looked kinda nice....though I know nothing about American guns.
I wish I had had my phone to take some pics...just curious, as I know nothing about Foxes....you had to hold the top lever open for the gun to close...not sure of bbl length, stock drops, but seemed to be longish bbl, & not too much stock drop
I know, you guys need a pic, but just wondering..perhaps I'll go back if it seems fair.
thanks
franc
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 01:00 AM
You had an English hammer double, and now you are looking at a Fox?

Indulge me, why did the English gun go away? That would seem to be far more interesting then what a random Fox might be worth.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: skeettx Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 01:11 AM
They (prices) are all over the place

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801954978

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796365171
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 01:41 AM
Dear Ted,
I sold my Hammergun cause I needed some bloody money,is that ok with you?
Like I said, I know bugger all about American guns...& I'm sure I will not buy it, but I was just asking a question about an A Grade Fox value, as I have never looked for one, this was the only decent gun in his rack.
It just seemed a decent gun for the price, but like I said, I don't have a clue on these, & was curious about the top lever.
Thanks so much for your helpful post on my original question
franc
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 01:46 AM
I was simply curious. Sorry if that crossed a line with you.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 01:49 AM
if it was a good deal, i'd post details for you guys
franc
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 01:54 AM
Franc,
The toplever should stay over when the gun is open. It's usually an easy fix. No shame in admiring a Fox. They're nice guns.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 02:00 AM
Hammer, the gun wouldn't close unless the lever was held to the right, if I let go of the lever , the gun wouldn't close...that's what I meant
cheers
franc
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 02:46 AM
The most common bolting on both English & Continental doubles uses the double underbolt. On many of these, the front lug is shaped to cam the bolt back on closing so the top lever returns to center when the gun is either fully open, closed or disassembled.

Most American doubles use a latch to hold the top lever to the right except when the gun is closed. The latch may have been lost or someone could have removed it intentionally, preferring to hold the lever over for closing than to have it be latched over when disassembling & having to push the latch to return it to center.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 04:36 AM
Just FYI there is a wee coil spring under the trigger plate screw that pushes the bolt catch up. Easy to loose and replace. The Fox is a decent design and the A grade is the lowest of the graded guns.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Best,
Ted

You graduate from a Mossy'turd pump gun to a Browning SxS and it goes to your head...

mr.Ted ever stop and think people don't care for you talking down to them.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/06/19 01:58 PM
The first Fox shown was a Savage-Fox Utica gun-- usually not worth what an original Phila. mfg. Fox would bring- depending on condition-- The second A grade at 3K is a joke- Yes it is an early Phila. gun (Krupp Barrels) but the crude bolt and the stock cracking at the top tang areas make it a "project gun" under 1K IMO. RWTF
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 02:40 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Best,
Ted

You graduate from a Mossy'turd pump gun to a Browning SxS and it goes to your head...

mr.Ted ever stop and think people don't care for you talking down to them.

If a guy posts on an internet shotgun discussion board and two guns are mentioned in the post, it is talking down to ask a question about one of them?

It slipped my mind this was the same gun I fixed a picture link in a post for. He didn’t seem to mind that.

Mossbergs haven’t gone anywhere. Five in the safe, two on semi-permanent loan to a couple of kids who are rapidly rising through the ranks in their high school trap leagues.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 02:59 AM
Yes Ted, you did fix my pictures, so thanks for that.
I guess how you worded just it rubbed me the wrong way, no harm meant...just that I was curious about the Fox...& thought it odd to be asked why I sold the Greener.I was probably grumpy & was/am missing my old Greener, but I'll get over it
cheers
franc
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 03:07 AM
I’ve asked a lot of guys why they have sold guns.

I’ve asked myself, sometimes, too.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: canvasback Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 03:50 AM
I’ve asked every individual I’ve ever bought a gun from why they are selling it. Along with just about every other used item worth more than $100.
Posted By: TMair Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 07:06 AM

Best,
Ted

I must admit i was curious my self, I've often dreamed of owning an English hammer gun.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 11:34 AM

Best,
Ted

I'd ask myself why I had 5 Mossburgs in my safe...

Just saying
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 11:36 AM
Most of the old vintage English guns are clapped out in one way or another...you ain't missed much.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Best,
Ted

I'd ask myself why I had 5 Mossburgs in my safe...

Just saying

If it gives me an opportunity to give a few kids a chance to participate in the outdoors, I’d have 50 of them
I’d love to see you shoot a round of trap with either kid. Times are changing, and I’m betting we see college scholarships for kids on the trap and skeet fields, assuming their grammar, spelling, and punctuation are better than yours.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 06:47 PM
Even the Powells Eric "Slow Hand" Clapton once owned--
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Fox A grade #30907 - 03/07/19 06:57 PM
Fox value depends on a number of factors:

Grade
Ejectors or extractors
Gauge (big subgauge premium)
Barrel length
Barrel steel
Originality