doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rwmckee Weatherby Regency - 04/05/19 02:24 AM
Has anybody actually owned and used one of these, and if so how well did it perform? Not really interested in general opinions of Weatherby guns or the Weatherby look. I've owned enough to make up my own mind about that. I just specifically want to know what luck people had with Regency's?

I'd wanted a Regency since I was a kid, and picked up one today. It's got 26" barrels (which I still like) so I'll have to keep it forever. But it's got a mechanical trigger that works, with good pulls, a selector that works, ejectors that work, a tight lockup, drop dead gorgeous wood and based only on feel really good dimensions.

However, I've owned plenty of guns that seemed just as good and just didn't pan out in actual shooting.

Roger
Posted By: rwmckee Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/05/19 03:04 AM
And real cut engraving signed by the engraver.

I'm guessing these were made by Zoli?
Posted By: Austin Hawthorne Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/05/19 08:37 PM
I've owned a 12 gauge Regency with 30 inch barrels for trap shooting for many years. After thousands of rounds being fired there have been ZERO issues. Mine is made by Zoli with hand cut and signed engraving. There are,however, portions of the engraving that appear to be stamped into the receiver. Overall, I am more than happy with mine.
Posted By: rwmckee Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/06/19 12:05 AM
Thanks! Looking at the retail prices in period Shooter's Bible's it's easy to see why they weren't more popular. Of all the over & unders cheaper than the Superposed, the Weatherby was the most expensive by $100 at least. That was a lot of money at the time.

Roger
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/06/19 12:22 PM
At one time, the Bank of Bolder was the largest "dealer" of Weatherby guns. They were usually well made guns, with a little extra finish, nicer wood or just a slightly magnum cartridge. They were never a price point item. Do not know about the current generation but they ones from a decade or more were all solid guns if their looks appealed to your taste.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/06/19 07:47 PM
They were made by Angelo Zoli, not to be confused with Antonio, who is the other Zoli company. Angelo died, but his sons were unable to keep things going.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/06/19 08:29 PM
Good to see you, Ken. Hope you are well!

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/07/19 04:59 PM
Thanks Ted,

Yeah, I'm finally back to normal. And, I've also cleared my massive backlog of barrels. I'm reducing the number I accept now to reduce the amount of "hang time" when they are waiting for me to work on them.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/25/19 10:01 PM
Ken61, I’m still waiting for a refund for my two barrels you destroyed with your “refinishing”. Others have contacted me about similar problems. All I’m asking for is the $500 I paid you in advance. The other $3,000 I have in the Parker I’ll have to write off to my education account. I even had to send them to a gunsmith to hone the bores and put them back on face since the acid and rust was everywhere. What a nightmare! And it only took you nearly three years to do it.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/26/19 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Ken61, I’m still waiting for a refund for my two barrels you destroyed with your “refinishing”. Others have contacted me about similar problems. All I’m asking for is the $500 I paid you in advance. The other $3,000 I have in the Parker I’ll have to write off to my education account. I even had to send them to a gunsmith to hone the bores and put them back on face since the acid and rust was everywhere. What a nightmare! And it only took you nearly three years to do it.

I also had a set of barrels "refinished" by Ken61, that he took a year to return them in significantly worse condition than when sent to him. I too would gladly accept a refund.
Posted By: battle Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/26/19 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken61
Thanks Ted,

Yeah, I'm finally back to normal. And, I've also cleared my massive backlog of barrels. I'm reducing the number I accept now to reduce the amount of "hang time" when they are waiting for me to work on them.

Curious.... What do you mean by "hang time" ? If you're referring to damacus refinishing, surely you aren't starting the process then stopping, as you call "hang time"...?
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/26/19 01:45 PM
I'll be more than happy to redo your tubes. In both your cases, I did have your tubes an exfessivly long time. It was what I call "Hang Time" when I had accepted them but had not started working on them. I no longer accept barrels until I'm ready to work on them. In both cases tubes were requested to be sent back before they were done. Not that I blame you, I had had them for too long. Same with a set of English barrels I recently sent back in unacceptable condition. I hope I get those back as well. Currently, I'm providing about a four month turnaround time. I do not expect anyone to be satisfied with substandard results, so feel free to return them.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/26/19 01:51 PM
Battle, I think it was the amount of time he left the barrels soaking in acid. frown
My Parker barrels were etched so severely that the rib engraving almost disappeared and the serial number on the side of the underlug is almost unreadable. Best of all was the etch was allowed to do its work inside the entire length of the bores! My gunsmith had his work cut out trying to hone them out for me.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/26/19 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken61
I'll be more than happy to redo your tubes. In both your cases, I did have your tubes an exfessivly long time. It was what I call "Hang Time" when I had accepted them but had not started working on them. I no longer accept barrels until I'm ready to work on them. In both cases tubes were requested to be sent back before they were done. Not that I blame you, I had had them for too long. Same with a set of English barrels I recently sent back in unacceptable condition. I hope I get those back as well. Currently, I'm providing about a four month turnaround time. I do not expect anyone to be satisfied with substandard results, so feel free to return them.

Redo them? They couldn’t stand another round with you. And there is no way you could restore the “wiggle lines” or the Parker name on the ribs. How about also compensating me the $350 my gunsmith charged for the barrel honing and putting the barrel back on face as a result of letting the acid eat away the underlug! It wouldn’t be so bad and I wouldn’t be so angry had you not lied about the barrels for so long. For two years I would call and you would say they were finished and would be shipped “next week” only to increase the frustration when they didn’t show up. Several other customers of yours who I have visited with had the same experience. Didn’t one finally have the local police pay you a visit encouraging you to return the barrels?
Posted By: battle Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/26/19 02:35 PM
Battle, I think it was the amount of time he left the barrels soaking in acid. frown
My Parker barrels were etched so severely that the rib engraving almost disappeared and the serial number on the side of the underlug is almost unreadable. Best of all was the etch was allowed to do its work inside the entire length of the bores! My gunsmith had his work cut out trying to hone them out for me.

WOW... If the percentage of etch solution is accurate, the acid dip shouldn't take that long.

Sorry to hear about your barrels.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/26/19 03:17 PM
Here is a sample of the Parker barrel. No, the camera is not out of focus and the colors are true. Everything was sharp and smooth before Ken Marburger (Ken61) got his hands on them. All the surfaces appear as if they have been sandblasted with coarse sand—millions of deep pits.

Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/26/19 06:29 PM
I no longer have the set of barrels, but aside from the poor finish, I believe the bores were etched as well in line with Joe's experience from prolonged soaking without being properly sealed, just not to the same extent. In any event, Ken, respectfully, I would not send another set of barrels to you. Colors were about the same as Joe's, a sort of dirty, low-contrast, streaky gray.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/27/19 10:35 PM
Costly lesson.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/28/19 12:21 PM
Ken61, I’m still waiting for a refund for my two barrels you destroyed with your “refinishing”.

It looks like you'll be waiting a long time Joe.
Posted By: battle Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/28/19 01:06 PM
This Ken dude shouldn’t be anywhere near a sxs barrel.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/28/19 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: battle

Do you have any personal experience on the subject, or, are you simply down in the peanut gallery, running your yap?

Ken did the barrels of a Nitro Special for me, several years ago:

At that time, I had really won the gun in an online auction by accident, making a bid of $257 for a gun with barrels that had fuzzy rust on the exterior. The rest of the gun, including the bores, looked like it had never been out of the box. I approached Ken about bluing the barrels. He was honest, said he was just starting, still learning, and he would try his best, and return them as soon as he could. He didn’t have them for an entire month, and he was guilty of only asking permission to take them to 600 grit. I said absolutely not, we already had a bunch of guys refinishing barrels here on the board who thought American hardware stores guns should have London best reblue work on the barrels, and it looks like a candy tangerine paint job on a model A Ford, as far as I am concerned. 320 was about where the factory stopped, and where I told him to stop.

The very faint LLH marks from the tube supplier were still there, same as when I sent the tubes. ALL the markings on the barrel were preserved as well as they had been applied at the factory:

The gun has been in the hands of several knowledgeable double gun guys, NONE of them have spotted it as a reblue, and one argued with me that I was wrong, he didn’t feel it had ever been reblued. It is as good as factory work was on these guns, and looks totally original. The cost was about half of what anyone else was charging at the time. The Nitro is not a valuable gun, but, I got better than I paid for.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but Ken was more than fair to me. I know nothing about Damascus barrel finishing, save that I do not now and never will need a set of Damascus barrels refinished. If I had a barrel that needed a blue, Ken would get it.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: battle Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/28/19 07:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Do you have any personal experience on the subject, or, are you simply down in the peanut gallery, running your yap?

At that time, I had really won the gun in an online auction by accident, making a bid of $257 for a gun with barrels that had fuzzy rust on the exterior. The rest of the gun, including the bores, looked like it had never been out of the box. I approached Ken about bluing the barrels. He was honest, said he was just starting, still learning, and he would try his best, and return them as soon as he could. He didn’t have them for an entire month, and he was guilty of only asking permission to take them to 600 grit. I said absolutely not, we already had a bunch of guys refinishing barrels here on the board who thought American hardware stores guns should have London best reblue work on the barrels, and it looks like a candy tangerine paint job on a model A Ford, as far as I am concerned. 320 was about where the factory stopped, and where I told him to stop.

The very faint LLH marks from the tube supplier were still there, same as when I sent the tubes. ALL the markings on the barrel were preserved as well as they had been applied at the factory:

The gun has been in the hands of several knowledgeable double gun guys, NONE of them have spotted it as a reblue, and one argued with me that I was wrong, he didn’t feel it had ever been reblued. It is as good as factory work was on these guns, and looks totally original. The cost was about half of what anyone else was charging at the time. The Nitro is not a valuable gun, but, I got better than I paid for.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but Ken was more than fair to me. I know nothing about Damascus barrel finishing, save that I do not now and never will need a set of Damascus barrels refinished. If I had a barrel that needed a blue, Ken would get it.

Best,
Ted

Actually yes I have done several Damascus refinishing. I learned the craft from Dale Edmonds. Rust bluing nitro steel barrels isn’t the same as Damascus black and white refinishing. So i’ll Run my yap in the peanut gallery as much as I want Ted...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/28/19 08:04 PM

Best,
Ted

Actually yes I have done several Damascus refinishing. I learned the craft from Dale Edmonds. Rust bluing nitro steel barrels isn’t the same as Damascus black and white refinishing. So i’ll Run my yap in the peanut gallery as much as I want Ted...

I was asking if you had Ken refinish any barrels, which, was the subject at hand. Have you done that? Have you undertaken work for anyone?

Since it was beat up on Ken day, I posted work that was above par. Yes, it was blue and not Damascus, but, it was very well done. You didn’t differentiate blue from Damascus when you slammed him. If you had paid for something and received poor work, that would be different.

Post some photos of your work. Better still, have some clients post their photos.

A gunsmith with a 100% success rate doesn’t exist, either.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: battle Re: Weatherby Regency - 04/28/19 11:54 PM

Best,
Ted

I was asking if you had Ken refinish any barrels, which, was the subject at hand. Have you done that? Have you undertaken work for anyone?

Since it was beat up on Ken day, I posted work that was above par. Yes, it was blue and not Damascus, but, it was very well done. You didn’t differentiate blue from Damascus when you slammed him. If you had paid for something and received poor work, that would be different.

Post some photos of your work. Better still, have some clients post their photos.

A gunsmith with a 100% success rate doesn’t exist, either.

Best,
Ted

I’ve posted my Damascus refinish here before, and yes I’ve done it for others also. You can use the search feature.

I think Joe Wood’s pic is proof enough. Also I know he’s not the only person dissatisfied with Mr Ken’s finishing work.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Weatherby Regency - 05/02/19 12:16 PM
We have another free lOading gun farming smurfer on here that cant get barrel bluing right after numerous attempts and after buffing off several thousands of metal.

Then it becomes a take it or leave it deal....

Best I can do sOranorA
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Weatherby Regency - 05/02/19 12:22 PM
Ted makes his judgment calls on his experience....

You don't like it Battle get ready for a tEddy bOy beat down.

Fact is TeddybOy could careless what the guy did to Joe Woods guns.

Ain't that right Mr. sniffle'beAn.
Posted By: battle Re: Weatherby Regency - 05/02/19 01:42 PM
Beat down???.... No I wont be taking any beat downs.

All I'm saying is, Damacus finishing is a totally different animal than regular simple rust bluing.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com