doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brian What grade Sarasqueta is this - 04/28/19 07:06 PM
need help identifying grade and model.
Marked Victor Sarasqueta on barrels
12 Ga 28" barrels. ejectors
anyone know if this is a 4E, 5E or 6E????

Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/06/19 01:00 AM
Similar to 5E seen in 1968 Victor Sarasqueta catalogue, except that the engraving on fences less ornate.
a.zabala made a gun in the same era that is identical to yours. Could it be that the zabala busines was taken over by sarasqueta, hence the name on your gun despite the variance in the engraving?
Posted By: Kyrie Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/06/19 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Brian
need help identifying grade and model.
Marked Victor Sarasqueta on barrels
12 Ga 28" barrels. ejectors
anyone know if this is a 4E, 5E or 6E????

Best guess on model, based purely on engraving, would be a model 203. At an ejector gun, that would make it a 203E.

Typically, the Spanish artisnal shotgun makers made guns to some specific purpose rather that to some "grade". If you would care to share photos of barrel flats and water table, and the total weight of the gun we could try to parse out the purpose for which your shotgun was made.
Posted By: Brian Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/15/19 07:14 PM
Ill get some barrel flat and water table pics
Posted By: Brian Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/26/19 01:17 AM
more pics of barrels and water table
28" barrels
6 lbs 9oz
14 1/4" LOP
no cast

Posted By: skeettx Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/26/19 12:34 PM
http://www.shotguns.se/html/spain.html

12-70 chamber (2 3/4)

Proofed in 1973
Posted By: Kyrie Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/26/19 01:43 PM
Good morning Brian,

12 gauge, has 2.75 inch chambers when it left the proof house in 1973 (proof year code R*1). Barrels weigh 1350 grams. I see your post that we are looking at 28 inch barrels and a total weight of 6 pounds and 9 ounces.

All of the Spanish artisanal shotguns fall somewhere on a continuum that runs from light game (carried much, shot little), through medium game guns (carried little, shot much), to heavy competition guns (carried never, shot continuously).

I’m of the opinion your VS falls in the range of a light game gun. It has relatively light barrels and the action looks to me to be quite slim and without significant reinforcement. I would not be surprised to find the butt stock has been drilled out to remove stick wood, to get a good balance.

A get gun for upland bird, and especially for chuckar where we hike a lot for a few opportunities to get a shot. I’d suggest a shot load of an ounce or less, and keep the muzzle velocity at or under 1200 FP. Heavier loads, or loads with higher muzzle velocities may damage the chokes or crack the stock.

Congratulations sir, on a very fine shotgun.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/26/19 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
Similar to 5E seen in 1968 Victor Sarasqueta catalogue, except that the engraving on fences less ornate.
a.zabala made a gun in the same era that is identical to yours. Could it be that the zabala busines was taken over by sarasqueta, hence the name on your gun despite the variance in the engraving?

Roy, Zabala wasn't taken over by anybody. They're one of the Spanish survivors, basically representing the low end of the market. Still in business today.
Posted By: Kyrie Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/26/19 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Roy, Zabala wasn't taken over by anybody. They're one of the Spanish survivors, basically representing the low end of the market. Still in business today.

Purely FYI, as of a bit over five years ago Zabala Hermanos fell on hard times and merged with Laurona (which was also in financial trouble), and became Laurona/Zabala. A few months later Laurona/Zabala closed their doors and went out of business.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/26/19 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Kyrie
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Purely FYI, as of a bit over five years ago Zabala Hermanos fell on hard times and merged with Laurona (which was also in financial trouble), and became Laurona/Zabala. A few months later Laurona/Zabala closed their doors and went out of business.

Thanks for the update. They were making smallbore LC Smiths for Marlin as of a few years ago.

The Spanish gun trade continues to contract. Sad, thinking of what it once was.
Posted By: Brian Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/26/19 11:00 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for the info. I am trying to determine grade. is it a 4E,5E or 6E??
Posted By: Kyrie Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/27/19 12:44 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for the info. I am trying to determine grade. is it a 4E,5E or 6E??

Sorry, but don't know what you mean by "grade". The designations 4e, 5E, and 6E are just base model designations.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/27/19 01:22 PM
I think you get more info by examining the gun than seeking a model designation.
The engraving on this gun, while near full coverage, is rudimentary. That tells you that it is a modest product.
This fact does not detract from the gun's use as a light game gun at all.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/27/19 06:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing. They didn’t hire the really talented guy to finish this one.
It would be good to look at the internals, or have a good ‘Smith do that for you. Dewey has an example of a number 2 AYA on his website, that needed a new spring. The build quality on that example struck me as shabby. I doubt they all have springs that look like that, but, that one, did.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Brian Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/28/19 12:53 AM
Model Designation ok?
Posted By: Brian Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/28/19 12:55 AM
I want to sell it and want to describe it properly and accurately. I do not want to misrepresent the gun. so if anyone can tell me its a 4E, a 5E an XYZE, let me know
Posted By: skeettx Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/28/19 10:19 AM
EDIT
smile

See below
Posted By: Kyrie Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/28/19 10:55 AM
I want to sell it and want to describe it properly and accurately. I do not want to misrepresent the gun. so if anyone can tell me its a 4E, a 5E an XYZE, let me know

OK, I have a better understanding of what you want.

If I were selling it I'd describe it as:

Victor Sarasqueta, 12 gauge (2.75 inch chambers), side lock, ejectors, full coverage engraving, engraving pattern usually associated with the model 203, appears to be a light game gun, barrels ?? in length, chokes are ??, LOP ???, cast ??? and so on.

If you want to avoid misleading a prospective buy I'd suggest not identifying it as any specific model, as the guns of a specific model may vary widely in their characteristics.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: What grade Sarasqueta is this - 05/29/19 10:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
I think you get more info by examining the gun than seeking a model designation.
The engraving on this gun, while near full coverage, is rudimentary. That tells you that it is a modest product.
This fact does not detract from the gun's use as a light game gun at all.

Even Brent should understand that
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com