doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: canvasback What's it worth? - 05/04/19 03:08 PM
I'm trying to figure out a fair value for a Browning Superposed. I'm not very up on this part of the market (O/U in general) and there are so many Superposed for sale.

This gun is a 1952 Superposed in 20 gauge. It has 26 1/2" barrels with choke markings of IC and Mod. It has a solid rib. 14" LOP to original butt plate.

As near as I can tell it is all original finishes and no modifications have ever been done. You have to look very closely to find any wear or flaw in the gun.

I don't have any pics of it.

Edit to correct date. Thanks Skeettx.
Posted By: skeettx Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 04:22 PM
Odd, I did not think the 20 gauge guns were made until 1949.

https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/superposed-shotgun.html

Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 04:58 PM
Sorry. Slip up. 1952. Not 1932.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 06:04 PM
As you said there are a lot for sale. In the US somewhere between $1900-2200. However, dealers are asking more for them.

Why buy an O/U when you shoot SxS?

Ken
Posted By: Steve Nash Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 06:08 PM
Canvasback, I can't help you with value, but I have a 1950 example (in 20 gauge) and it is a real pleasure to use, and even carry all day long.
Posted By: GLS Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 06:23 PM
One of my buddy's has an early 20 with factory engraving of which later was listed as the Diana grade. It's a very nice gun. Gil
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: KDGJ
As you said there are a lot for sale. In the US somewhere between $1900-2200. However, dealers are asking more for them.

Why buy an O/U when you shoot SxS?

Ken

That's what I was looking for. Thank you. And to answer your question, I like having one O/U in the safe. I don't think it will make all the SxS feel insecure. LOL

My intent is to swap out a 2004 Citori 16 ga for this one. It just feels better in my hands.
Posted By: Researcher Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 06:28 PM
Even though those solid rib Grade I 20-gauges were a bit cheaper than the vent rib versions when new, they carry a premium now. With the present desire for longer barrels, the 28-inch guns are more in demand.

A few years ago I saw a 28-inch gun in a Tolex case sell for $4000!!
Posted By: skeettx Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 06:40 PM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/810064019
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 07:47 PM
Pretty much same price in Canada in $Can.
A recently sold 20 gauge 26 inch rklt choked IC/Mod, later in the 50s, condition about perfect, priced at $2400 and sold close to that.
That is as high condition and price that I have seen one sell.
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 08:44 PM
Saskbooknut, that's usually what I find on the SxS as well. Canadian price is very close to the US price, just using our funny money.
Posted By: dal Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 09:18 PM
A mid 2000 citori lightning twenty that has invector plus ckokes and steel capable with parts easily found list from $1,500 to $1,700 around our parts cb. Unless its much lighter, I think it would be a niche market for someone that wants a belgian made browning twenty....?
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: What's it worth? - 05/04/19 11:46 PM
A Superposed 20 gauge and a Citori 20 gauge are only alike in that they have the lettering Browning on them.
Most Citori 20 gauges are overweight, a Superlight being the exception. And discounting the Lightning Feather with Aluminum receiver.
Some of us think of the Superposed 20 gauge as the ideal upland gun. The marketplace seems to confirm that opinion.
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/05/19 12:03 AM
Thanks for the advice and comments.

My Citori is a 16 gauge White Lightning with 26” barrels bought new in early 2005 in Portage La Prairie. I shoot it quite well. Yet it never feels “right” in my hands. And it’s not light. 6 pounds 11 oz. For sure less than 300 rounds through it.

I have tried to avoid 20 gauges but this Superposed is swaying me. Fits perfectly and is in near perfect condition. And it’s configured and choked exactly as I would wish. My only complaint is it’s not a 16. But there aren’t any of those.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: What's it worth? - 05/05/19 12:52 AM
"Feels right" is the greatest accolade in upland guns.
Posted By: dal Re: What's it worth? - 05/05/19 03:16 AM
Last year I bought a 1961 28" Belgian made skeet twenty for $700 cdn. Well used mind you, which is how I like them, as it proves that it shoots well. Shot a grouse on the wing with it first time out. Yes it is a nice upland twenty.
You are right sask that the older gun is of no doubt higher quality, etc. Not many people appreciate a 58 year old gun... except for guys like us... me thinks.
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/05/19 03:35 AM
Dal, at 58, they’re just getting broken in.
Posted By: dal Re: What's it worth? - 05/05/19 03:55 AM
Yup !
Posted By: Buzz Re: What's it worth? - 05/05/19 11:02 AM
Solid rib and field chokes (as opposed to Sk/Sk) add a slight premium; however, 28” has a premium over 26.5”. A few years ago, supers were high priced. It wasn’t uncommon to see a ANIB grade I 20 ga asking price of close to $4k. Same gun now quite a bit less. With their Demi-bloc barrels (which equates to chopperlump in the SxS world), I think Browning superposed are one of the best deals out there.
Posted By: King Brown Re: What's it worth? - 05/05/19 01:57 PM
They're great guns. When a New Brunswick road builder died 50 years ago, his wife gave me a call to come to their house. She said her husband wanted me to have first pick of his guns, covering two walls behind glass, all shotguns. Diana and Midas were common but the little 16 Parker hammer with magic handling left under my arm. I handle it more tenderly each time I take it hunting; it will be last to go.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: What's it worth? - 05/05/19 02:31 PM
You will really like it James if you know it already fits you. My 20 gauge Superposed is a joy to carry. I have trouble with most over/unders. They just don't feel right. Maybe I keep comparing them to a well fitting SxS. Anyhow, my 20 Superposed fits me like a glove.
$1500.00-$2,000.00 would be typical asking price in Canada.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: What's it worth? - 05/07/19 02:15 PM
Canvas back

They did make some superposes in 16 ga,very few
I have had one in my hand

John Boyd
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: What's it worth? - 05/07/19 03:43 PM
I have found that very well preserved 1949>1964 ( 26 1/2”) 20 ga grade I Superposed go for ~ $ 2200>$2500 ( excepting high end dealer pricing)
Attributes that increase the value are:
Original buttplate/ LOP of 14 1/4”
28” barrels ( key mover for price increase)
Field chokes: IC/M
Solid Rib
Lightning Configuration /first available in 1956( lighter/ thinner barrels w/ higher nickel content,& some lightening mods to receiver, buttstock, fore end )
Original Tolex case
I would expect to pay in excess of $ 4500 with all the options above , but without the case , I would think $ 3750- $4000 depending on condition.
These are great bird guns.
Best Regards,
JBP

Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/07/19 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: arrieta2
Canvas back

They did make some superposes in 16 ga,very few
I have had one in my hand

John Boyd

John I had heard they made two. If that's the case, and I found one, I don't think I should use it as a back up shooter when my SxS's aren't up for the day. Haha!

That's a rare gun you held. Would love to see/hold one.
Posted By: Researcher Re: What's it worth? - 05/07/19 07:17 PM
Quote:
I have found that very well preserved 1949>1964 ( 26 1/2”) 20 ga grade I Superposed go for ~ $ 2200>$2500 ( excepting high end dealer pricing)
Solid Rib
Lightning Configuration /first available in 1956( lighter/ thinner barrels w/ higher nickel content,& some lightening mods to receiver, buttstock, fore end )
Original Tolex case
I would expect to pay in excess of $ 4500 with all the options above , but without the case , I would think $ 3750- $4000 depending on condition.
Best Regards,
JBP

A bit of a premium also for the earlier guns with the blued trigger over the later gold trigger.
Posted By: RyanF Re: What's it worth? - 05/09/19 03:16 PM
Careful. The superposed basically put me of sxs's. I like mine so much I've decided I "need" the express rifle version. I think it would be near perfect for stalking elk in the dark timber.
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/09/19 04:43 PM
Originally Posted By: J.B.Patton
Solid Rib
Original Tolex case
Best Regards,
JBP

No case.....had one and traded it away a while ago.

The gun I'm looking at has most of those attributes except for the 28" barrels.

Original buttplate and LOP
Field chokes of IC & M
Blued Trigger
Solid Rib

How do you tell if it is a Lightning??
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/09/19 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: RyanF
Careful. The superposed basically put me of sxs's. I like mine so much I've decided I "need" the express rifle version. I think it would be near perfect for stalking elk in the dark timber.

Wash your mouth out with soap!!!! laugh
Posted By: SKB Re: What's it worth? - 05/09/19 04:48 PM
From what I have read the rifles are very poorly regulated.

I had a nice little Browning 20 bore Superposed Grade I with knock out wood years ago. I was not a very educated shotgunner at the time and just could not hit a barn with that gun. Sold it off years ago but have always wondered if I might shoot one a bit better now days. The gun was way short for me and had very tight chokes. Also the last O/U I have owned.

Steve
Posted By: eightbore Re: What's it worth? - 05/09/19 06:14 PM
A few years ago, a very early Super 20, solid rib, 28" barrels, field chokes, very high condition, original horn butt, was offered for sale at Winter Vegas and discussed here. I believe it was offered for sale at $7000 or so and probably sold. I have the identical gun in Tolex, #605, unfired condition, that I wouldn't think of letting go for $7000. I also have an A-1 20, straight grip, original butt, solid rib, 26 1/2", unfired in the box, made in 1953 and not out of the box since. The only thing that keeps that gun from the $6,000 or higher range is the 26 1/2" barrels which is a detraction. On the other hand, I consigned a brand new early fifties 20, all original, vent rib, 26 1/2", to an auction a year ago and it brought about $1500, about $2500 less than its true value. The vent rib and short barrels detracted from its value a bit, but obviously, there was no one at the auction who would have noticed. These are wonderful guns, but not everyone knows that.
Posted By: RyanF Re: What's it worth? - 05/09/19 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
From what I have read the rifles are very poorly regulated.

That kind of bursts my bubble but, saves my $.
Posted By: JHJ Re: What's it worth? - 05/10/19 03:49 PM
I have a 20ga Lightning model, 26" IC and M, 1964. Ive taken grouse, woodcock and a few wood ducks with Bismuth ammo. Not to mention countless liberated quail and several wild birds one magical day years ago. It stays in the safe in the off season, emerging in August for a few rounds of clays. It belonged to the man that taught me about things like grouse habitat, ethics and respect for game, and authors like Aldo Leopold, Farley Mowatt and Sigurd Olson. It is in my care now and priceless.
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/10/19 07:53 PM
Farley lived down the street from me until he died a few years ago. I used to bump into him regularly walking our dogs. And years ago we used to attend the same parties where he would delight in offending sensibilities by doing things like pissing on the rose bushes in the middle of the party.
Posted By: JHJ Re: What's it worth? - 05/10/19 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Farley lived down the street from me until he died a few years ago. I used to bump into him regularly walking our dogs. And years ago we used to attend the same parties where he would delight in offending sensibilities by doing things like pissing on the rose bushes in the middle of the party.
Ha! Thats also priceless! Something Hemingway would do!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: What's it worth? - 05/10/19 09:17 PM
And his pal F. Scott Fitzgerald--both raging alcoholics, and when "in their cups" their behavior was erratic, to say the least. RWTF
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What's it worth? - 05/10/19 10:40 PM
I had a friend from SC who was very successful in real estate and development of it. He was cut from the same cloth, James. He, Billy, was attending a supper party at some friends' home one evening and the menfolk were standing outside on the porch having beverages. The lady of the house had a cat who kept rubbing against my friend's leg. He shooed the cat away several times, but to no avail. Next time the cat attempted a "rub" he reached down and grabbed it, wrung it's neck, and duly tossed it into the shrubbery.

A man after my own heart.

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/10/19 11:52 PM
Stan, that's a hilarious story, much as I like cats.

I sure didn't mean to imply I was perturbed by Farley's behavior. I loved seeing these "elites" aghast and so did Farley.

Scandalous!!! Hahahahaha!
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I had a friend from SC who was very successful in real estate and development of it... Billy...reached down and grabbed it, wrung it's neck, and duly tossed it into the shrubbery.

SRH

Do that to my wife’s cat and the next piece of real estate Billy would be developing would be 2 1/2’ x 8’ x 6’ in the local cemetery. That’s psycho shyte.

Ya’ll go to some weird arse dinner parties.

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 02:41 AM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
I had a friend from SC who was very successful in real estate and development of it... Billy...reached down and grabbed it, wrung it's neck, and duly tossed it into the shrubbery.

SRH

Do that to my wife’s cat and the next piece of real estate Billy would be developing would be 2 1/2’ x 8’ x 6’ in the local cemetery. That’s psycho shyte.

Ya’ll go to some weird arse dinner parties.

Have to agree with you lonesome. At the very least, it would be costing you thousands of dollars, and that's not counting medical bills and lawyer's fees. Wanton destruction of someone personal property ON their property -not gonna fly anywhere I've ever lived.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 10:03 AM
I wouldn't have done it either, I do respect other's personal property.

But, I hold cats in the same general level of esteem.

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 10:11 AM
I wouldn't have done it either, I do respect other's personal property.

But, I hold cats in the same general level of esteem.

SRH

Stan, some members here just have no sense of humour! Haha!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 11:22 AM
Hey guys-- cats have their place in this world-- out in the barn killing mice, etc. But my Grandpa was NOT a cat lover by any means-- his favorite poem about the felines went something like this: "Listen, listen, I hear the cat a pissin' "Where, Grandpa, where?" "Under the rockin' chair- Now run, Son, and fetch my gun-- ooops, too late, the deed is done!" RWTF
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 12:15 PM
That's what Jack Russel's were bred for....

Only good cat is a dead cat.
Posted By: JHJ Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 02:53 PM
Killing someones pet cat isnt even close to pissing on someones roses. Its indicative of a sick mind.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 03:14 PM
OK, now I'm curious. What was the rest of the story after the SC real estate guy killed his host's pet? Pretty sure he was not served dessert!...Geo
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 03:33 PM
A guy is invited to dinner, and he kills the hosts pet?

The host needs to evaluate his choice of friends.

My cat is like the dog, she has a job to do, and she does it well. I’ve seen her jump to the top of an 8 foot cinder block wall and fish a mouse out of it, in less time than it took me to type it.

Looking back, all the cats lived through several generations of dogs, I do wish it was the other way around.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 04:28 PM
I'm guessing the cat story is apocryphal, made up by cat haters. Nobody, drunk or sober would do that. No doubt Stan heard it told as true, but I doubt it happened. At least I hope I'm right about that, and I seriously doubt Stan would have a friend like that guy...Geo
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
... I seriously doubt Stan would have a friend like that guy...Geo

I had a friend from SC...

...A man after my own heart.

SRH

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 06:43 PM
The man was co-owner of a large plantation across the river from me, in SC, back in the mid-80s. I was good friends with his plantation manager. He asked my wife and I over for a "pig pickin' supper party on evening. I met Billy there. While waiting for supper to be finished the menfolk were talking about hunting, and stuff in general. My good friend knew of my distaste for house cats and mentioned to his boss that he and I shared a common interest in cats. That's when the manager related the tale to me. It may have been embellished, but I didn't question the veracity of my host. He most likely picked the cat up by it's neck and threw it over into the shrubbery, but it was told as having "wrung it's neck". I can't prove it either way.

I only was around Billy about three times. He was always very gracious to me, inviting me on dove and quail hunts. I consider someone who treats me with such generosity my friend. Close friends? ..... nah.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 08:02 PM

I only was around Billy about three times. He was always very gracious to me, inviting me on dove and quail hunts. I consider someone who treats me with such generosity my friend. Close friends? ..... nah.

Guess a feller better have a good half dozen wild quail coveys on his property if he ever decides to boot your wife’s little dog between the hydrangeas.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
OK, now I'm curious. What was the rest of the story after the SC real estate guy killed his host's pet? Pretty sure he was not served dessert!...Geo

If he indeed killed the cat he probably was doing what the husband of the woman who owned the cat didn't have the cojones to do.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 08:48 PM

Guess a feller better have a good half dozen wild quail coveys on his property if he ever decides to boot your wife’s little dog between the hydrangeas.

If my little house dog goes outside without a collar on him it's my fault. People don't think they should have to put collars, which are an indicator of ownership and care, on cats. They turn them out, allow them to roam the countryside and kill every quail and songbird they can. Just to kill, not because they're hungry.

If see a cat prowling a hedgerow or grown up fence row on my property without a collar, it's a dead cat. When I ran cattle I'd kill packs of stray dogs in the pastures the same way. No collar = feral/stray. Game departments here agree with me on that .................. but then, this ain't your stomping' ground, hockey man.

SRH
Posted By: JHJ Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 09:04 PM

If my little house dog goes outside without a collar on him it's my fault. People don't think they should have to put collars, which are an indicator of ownership and care, on cats. They turn them out, allow them to roam the countryside and kill every quail and songbird they can. Just to kill, not because they're hungry.

If see a cat prowling a hedgerow or grown up fence row on my property without a collar, it's a dead cat. When I ran cattle I'd kill packs of stray dogs in the pastures the same way. No collar = feral/stray. Game departments here agree with me on that .................. but then, this ain't your stomping' ground, hockey man.

SRH

Ive done likewise, when the situation was obvious. Killing a sure enough pet is far different.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 09:29 PM

.... but then, this ain't your stomping' ground, hockey man.

SRH

Didn’t ya’ll say something similar to Sherman?

Originally Posted By: JHJ
Ive done likewise, when the situation was obvious. Killing a sure enough pet is far different.

It’s called psychopath.

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 09:55 PM
Sometimes when I post something I get the feeling I might not ought to of said that; pet killing crosses anybody's line...Geo
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 09:58 PM
("Didn’t ya’ll say something similar to Sherman?")

Could be, but the Gallant Hood of Texas was playing hell in Tennessee at the same time...Geo
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: JHJ

SRH

Agreed. I have never owned a cat but if the facts in the post are true, it was uncalled for and I'm glad he is not an acquaintance of mine.
Posted By: canvasback Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 10:56 PM
Well, this has taken an odd turn. I’ve own cats and dogs and liked them both. I don’t know this Billie fellow but would hate to paint Stan with Billie’s behavior. And I’m buying Stan’s clarification of “who knows” what actually happened. Stan was the recipient of a good anecdote.
Posted By: JHJ Re: What's it worth? - 05/11/19 11:17 PM
Im ok with that. All is well that ends well. I like this bunch here.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: What's it worth? - 05/14/19 01:48 PM
Did you know that if the Pilgrims had killed a bobcat we'd all be celebrating Thanksgiving eating pussy.

Aka...Red Fox
Posted By: Buzz Re: What's it worth? - 05/14/19 07:57 PM
Lord have mercy, jOe.......LOL, ROTFLMAO.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: What's it worth? - 05/15/19 01:00 AM
Nice one, HoJo-- but the late "Fred Sanford" spelled his stage name Redd Foxx- no relation, but that goes without saying! RWTF
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com