doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KS16ga Vintage skeet - 05/08/19 01:50 AM
I attended the vintage skeet shoot at Powder Creek Gun club in Lenexa,Ks this past weekend and was disappointed with my first events shooting skeet with my 20ga LC Smith but then found on Sunday that I had won "B" class in that event and my first NSSA medal.
My hope were high for shooting my 16ga on Sunday even if it were the 12ga event. But then I did not live up to my expectations and shot lower scores with my 16ga CZ Ringneck at skeet and five stand. I had to go to the sporting clays field gun event to save the day and was able to shoot a score of 43x50 for the high score in 16ga!

before leaving that day I was given a flyer for the 2019 Midwestern SidexSide Championship event at Prairie Grove Shotgun Sports near Columbia, Mo August 2nd-4th. the program lists 25 tagets each of a tower shoot, 5-stand, trap, skeet, wobble skeet and sporting clays. More information is available at the Prairie Grove Shotgun Sports site.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Vintage skeet - 05/08/19 02:01 AM
Well done!
Great report
Keep us posted smile

Mike
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Vintage skeet - 05/10/19 02:31 AM
Went to the face book page and found a "no events planned". Where do you find details about shoot above?

DDA
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: Vintage skeet - 05/13/19 08:07 PM
Nice shooting Byron!

Looks like you placed in both the 12 gauge event and 20 gauge event.

This event will be at the same club in 2020.

Hope you will join us again.
Posted By: KS16ga Re: Vintage skeet - 05/15/19 02:03 PM
I have not been able to find the results for the 12ga or other events. I was given the medal for the 20ga when I was there on Sunday.
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: Vintage skeet - 05/16/19 11:51 PM
I have the shoot results in excel format. I do not have a listing of the many guns given away. The host club is will notify those winners. Send me an pm for a copy.
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 12:30 AM
Vintage Skeet, aka " Hal wins", by those of us that knew him at the beginning. Hal created a game where his International Skeet skills would allow Hal to both win his own shoots, but use these accolades to further his reputation. Its a crock. Dont waste youre money.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: JHJ
Vintage Skeet, aka " Hal wins", by those of us that knew him at the beginning. Hal created a game where his International Skeet skills would allow Hal to both win his own shoots, but use these accolades to further his reputation. Its a crock. Dont waste you're money.

So, did you send for a copy of the shoot results too see if Hal won all of the guns?

What is your problem with Hal? You seem as if you have a lot of bones to pick.

SRH
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 12:54 AM
We all boycotted his shoots. He had zero participation in central Ohio.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 12:56 AM
So, why? If you can't win do you not want to shoot?

"We", who?

Not trying to indict anyone, just trying to understand.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 12:58 AM
"Central Ohio" .......... you're in Central SC.

???????????

SRH
Posted By: KS16ga Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 03:34 AM
I enjoyed the shoot and won three medals in different event and won a new CZ Sharptail in a drawing. Now I just have to talk CZ in to letting me trade the 12ga for something different, hopefully a 28ga Bobwhite since I love double trigger guns and need a 28ga skeet gun.
The low gun start required for this shoot is what I practice anyway so the delayed pull was the only change for me but wasn't hard to adjust to. I will be there new year, especially since I only live a couple hours away and have shot at that club many times over the years in all they clay target games and with different owners.
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
"Central Ohio" .......... you're in Central SC.

???????????

SRH
I am now. I was then.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 10:43 PM
Welcome to the South. Hope you like it.

BTW, Hal is emailing me a list of shoot results. Kinda want to see how many winners there were besides Hal ......... and Byron.

Best wishes, SRH
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/17/19 11:10 PM
see your pm's. if you want the rest of the story.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vintage skeet - 05/18/19 12:55 AM
If you want to tell the rest of the story, tell it here where you made the original criticisms. I'm not interested in private discussions about public criticisms.

SRH
Posted By: kgb Re: Vintage skeet - 05/18/19 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: KS16ga
I enjoyed the shoot and won three medals in different event and won a new CZ Sharptail in a drawing. Now I just have to talk CZ in to letting me trade the 12ga for something different, hopefully a 28ga Bobwhite since I love double trigger guns and need a 28ga skeet gun.
The low gun start required for this shoot is what I practice anyway so the delayed pull was the only change for me but wasn't hard to adjust to. I will be there new year, especially since I only live a couple hours away and have shot at that club many times over the years in all they clay target games and with different owners.

Is the shoot slated to repeat in KC next year?

It's no secret pros shoot with amateurs at these events, same as with registered Skeet and Trap, and when I shot in 2009 at Columbia, MO I squadded with several guys who had gotten some of the Husqvarna doubles then on the market. We all had a good time shooting skeet with fellow 16ga shooters, my only surprise was expecting to see shoot-offs to break ties as I did not know of the procedure of long run, from front or back of the scores. Just didn't read those rules but didn't really care either.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vintage skeet - 05/18/19 01:23 AM
Vintage Skeet, aka " Hal wins", by those of us that knew him at the beginning. Hal created a game where his International Skeet skills would allow Hal to both win his own shoots, but use these accolades to further his reputation. Its a crock. Dont waste youre money.

After receiving the shoot results and going over them thoroughly I see clearly that Hal did not enter a single event at this shoot. Yet, you accuse him of creating a game where he could win and "further his reputation". Just how did he do that when he did not enter and compete?

Don't you think you were hasty, and inaccurate, with your accusations, and owe Hal an apology? I stand by my initial diagnosis ............. you've got a bone to pick with him about something personal.

SRH
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Vintage skeet - 05/18/19 12:30 PM
Hadn't heard anything about vintage skeet in some time. Glad to see they're following the original rules: Low gun, variable delay. Our RGS chapter in Iowa used to hold a fun shoot every year: 2 rounds of skeet. One was the standard American variety; the other one used the original low gun/variable delay format. It was interesting to watch the guys who'd never shot skeet other than under current American rules try to adapt to low gun/variable delay. Especially on station 8.
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/18/19 04:26 PM
Its actually very easy for anyone with decades of International skeet experiance. Slower targets and no doubles at 3, 4 and 5.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Vintage skeet - 05/18/19 09:40 PM
Its actually very easy for anyone with decades of International skeet experiance. Slower targets and no doubles at 3, 4 and 5.

No question the international experience is a big help, John. But the game of skeet as the vast majority of Americans play it does leave them at a disadvantage until they've adjusted to the original rules.
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/18/19 11:38 PM
Indeed. pm me for details.
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/23/19 11:21 PM

After receiving the shoot results and going over them thoroughly I see clearly that Hal did not enter a single event at this shoot. Yet, you accuse him of creating a game where he could win and "further his reputation". Just how did he do that when he did not enter and compete?

Don't you think you were hasty, and inaccurate, with your accusations, and owe Hal an apology? I stand by my initial diagnosis ............. you've got a bone to pick with him about something personal.

SRH
I was refering to the early days. We all recognized what was going on. One fellow began refering to him as Sqt Bilko. the email you got is no doubt legit, but in no way relects the overall truth.
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/23/19 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

No question the international experience is a big help, John. But the game of skeet as the vast majority of Americans play it does leave them at a disadvantage until they've adjusted to the original rules.
I prefer dropped stock skeet as well. This difference is on of purpose. The SxS resurgence wasnt about celebrating the shooter. It was about the guns themselves. In the beginning, we supported everthing except the 3 second delay. Vintage skeet could have been huge. Save for one mans ego and his desire to get free guns from a certain domestic mfg. It was a shame. We were all ready to help in the beginning.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vintage skeet - 05/24/19 01:42 AM

SRH
I was refering to the early days. We all recognized what was going on. One fellow began refering to him as Sqt Bilko. the email you got is no doubt legit, but in no way relects the overall truth.

Since you obviously want to continue this haranguing of Mr. Hare, I will mention that this particular annual shoot is set up so that every shooter registered has a chance at winning the prizes ............ not just the class winners, and according to my information it has been this way since it's inception. It's basically the luck of the draw. Certainly not the kind of shoot someone would create to further enhance their own winnings. And, like it or not, this thread was started to discuss this particular shoot, not your past history of skeet shooting in Ohio.

But, you hang onto your perceived slights and publicly voiced disparaging opinions. They will take you far ............. (not).

Rest well. I'm done with this. SRH
Posted By: JHJ Re: Vintage skeet - 05/24/19 01:58 AM

SRH

Since you obviously want to continue this haranguing of Mr. Hare, I will mention that this particular annual shoot is set up so that every shooter registered has a chance at winning the prizes ............ not just the class winners, and according to my information it has been this way since it's inception. It's basically the luck of the draw. Certainly not the kind of shoot someone would create to further enhance their own winnings. And, like it or not, this thread was started to discuss this particular shoot, not your past history of skeet shooting in Ohio.

But, you hang onto your perceived slights and publicly voiced disparaging opinions. They will take you far ............. (not).

Rest well. I'm done with this. SRH
You have chosen to ignore my context. Fine. Youve been duped as well. What was the total entry? 10? 15? Post it here. I doubt you have the spine to reveal the truth
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Vintage skeet - 05/24/19 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

I prefer dropped stock skeet as well. This difference is on of purpose. The SxS resurgence wasnt about celebrating the shooter. It was about the guns themselves. In the beginning, we supported everthing except the 3 second delay. Vintage skeet could have been huge. Save for one mans ego and his desire to get free guns from a certain domestic mfg. It was a shame. We were all ready to help in the beginning.

John, I remember the posts about those "early days" as well. Question: Why the resistance to the variable delay? When we used to do our annual RGS fun shoot, we had a remote that could be set for the delay. No question that it will play with your head, especially on Station 8--and you won't believe how long 3 seconds can seem. Reminded me of the time the jump master gave me the "stand in the door!" command too soon.
Posted By: KS16ga Re: Vintage skeet - 05/26/19 02:29 AM
I posted my initial story to let everybody know about the fun we had shooting the "old way" and not to start another [censored] session with people that just want to pick on shooters that work to put on an event.
The guns that were given away by CZ were strictly by a random drawing. You were given one entry for each event that you shot. Winning an event would get you an NSSA medal and that was all.
We weren't paying high entry fees for the event and expecting big prizes. We were there to have fun shooting our vintage guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com