doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JBG Wall Thickness Question - 05/29/19 11:14 PM
I’m looking to purchase a pair of British Sidelocks that according to the maker were built originally as light weight guns. They weigh 6 lbs 5 oz each and are originally chambered and prooved for 2 3/4 shells, mid 70s vintage.

The thinnest spot in each gun is 22 and 23 respectively.

I’m interested in opinions.

Thanks
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/29/19 11:17 PM
Do you know location of where it is .022 or .023?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/29/19 11:29 PM
Take a dial caliper and look at .022 and .023
Posted By: ed good Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/29/19 11:34 PM
not worth the risk.
Posted By: SKB Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/29/19 11:50 PM
Where are the thin spots? What is the condition of everything else? In proof? Priced well?
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/29/19 11:59 PM
Yes, the question is where are the areas where the barrels are thin? Closer to the muzzles would be okay for me. If in an area closer to the forcing cones I would walk away.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/30/19 12:18 AM
Originally Posted By: [censored
]Take a dial caliper and look at .022 and .023

Ha ha ha ! H I L A R I O U S! A real comedian here, folks!
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/30/19 12:58 AM
I would have no problems with that. Some Makers struck their barrels down to save on weight. Like Boss for example.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/30/19 01:01 AM
One good drop and dent removal in the thin area could drop thickness below the .020 recommended minimum. So if you are planning upland hunts with these guns, that is something to consider. Personally my thinnest barrels are .020/.020 in a 90’s era lightweight O/U. But It has a second barrel set at .030/.030 that I use for hunting.
Posted By: mark Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/30/19 01:38 AM
Is the gun in proof?
Posted By: JBG Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/30/19 12:03 PM
Thanks for the responses, I will reply shortly with answers.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/30/19 01:28 PM
22/23 are not that thin unless it is very near the breach. They were struck thin from the start to get the weight down and most likely were .025 from the start. I have a LeFever 20 which is untouched and both barrels have long sections that are .020. Just by luck they have not dented but thin barrels may dent easily. This 20 is under 5 pounds.

If you like them and like the feel, then after making sure the thin areas are several inches past where your hand rest buy them. But understand if like the light weight feel of those thinly struck barrels sleeving them to get more thickness will destroy that feel. I’ve heard countless people complain about sleeved guns feeling heavier than they were before the were sleeved. Hello, more metal means more weight.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/31/19 12:20 AM
Barrel walls on Brit 12s often have barrels below 24 thou. and are in proof. I have a nice London SLE made in the 1930 - in proof and with barrels of about the same thickness as the ones you posted about.

I think I would worry if the barrel were much under 20 thou. and some lightweight 2" 12s came from the factory with barrels below 20 thou.

If you like the guns, buy them.
Posted By: JBG Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/31/19 03:26 PM
Here is what I was able to find out on the pair:

Proof .729

Bore Size:

No 1: .733 LH, .730 RH
No 2: .730 LH, .730 RH

Thinnest point 22 thou is 12" from the muzzle.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/31/19 03:43 PM
Is the seller unwilling to share the end-of-the-chamber and 9" from the breech wall thicknesses?

I agree with others that .022" from mid-barrel on is adequate, and commonly found in light weight and small bore doubles.

It would be prudent to recheck those numbers under a 3 day return policy.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/31/19 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: PALUNC
I would have no problems with that. Some Makers struck their barrels down to save on weight. Like Boss for example.

That's correct. If it's a rare case where you can still get information from the maker, with a gun that light, you might discover it left the shop with walls that thin. Or you might discover that it's been honed a whole bunch over the years. One way you can likely spot honing if there's been much: Measure the bore diameters and compare to what you find on the barrel flats--whether it's an actual diameter or whether it's the older style 12, 13/1, etc. If it's been honed so much that it's now out of proof, I'd certainly stay away from it with MWT that thin. Unless maybe it's way out at the muzzle.

Woops. Missed your last post. Bore diameter does not look to have been messed with very much. Looks like one of those cases of a pair made very light. If the guns were made in the 70's and those are the original proofs, I'd say you're good to go.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/31/19 09:27 PM
I have a Hollis SL that I shoot occasionally, that has MWT about that. It's well down the barrels, and I only use low pressure stuff in it, so no worry there. My biggest concern, as others have mentioned, is denting it.

Guns with barrel walls that thin should be used with extreme care, IMO. Hunting is not necessarily the issue ......... but handling them around vehicles, in workshops, on shooting carts ........ anyplace where those barrels can strike a hard object to dent them, is how damage usually occurs. There are plenty of other suitable guns that are not so prone to barrel damage. I'm no big fan of super lightweight shotguns, anyway. Others may be, and that's fine. But, lightweight guns require an entirely different shooting style for me. I have learned to adapt to them, so that I can shoot my .410 doubles reasonably well, but it takes a conscious effort when you shoot 9 lb. 12s and + or - 5 lb. .410s.

SRH
Posted By: Blue Grouse Re: Wall Thickness Question - 05/31/19 10:15 PM
How long are the barrels?
If they were made in the 70's, then they have probably not been re-proofed. Assuming that and given the bore sizes stated - the barrels should be original as made.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com