doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Silvers Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 05/31/19 12:51 PM
For those who own a 12-gauge Super-Fox and will be at the Northeast SxS next week: I’ll have my special Super-Fox chamber gauges with me and will be happy to measure its chambers to confirm/deny righteous factory 3 IN. chambers which are of course desirable. Some few honest 3 IN. guns left the Phila factory without being stamped as such, and many other Supers both 2-3/4 and 3 IN. have been modified to 3-inch using modern reamers because the original Fox chambers have a special taper and were “cut tight” - thus were hard to load with shells on the high side of tolerance. Also I've measured many where the gunsmith went overboard with the reamer and the chambers are way oversize and over length, and that can cause ejection problems.

I’ll do this gratis because the Super is my favorite Fox and I like to see and handle them, but if you want to come by with a cold water, soda or drachm of good spirits that’s ok. You can see me under the big tent.

frank
Posted By: GSPWillie Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 05/31/19 09:35 PM
Please let me know if you run across # 29080 last seen about 1991 with 29" cut barrels and very little choke, but otherwise fairly high condition.
Thanks!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 05/31/19 10:01 PM
#29080 ........that's an early one. #28069 was one of the first guns we know of. #29080 is over two thousand serial #s earlier than BoWhoop.

Was it yours at some point?

SRH
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 05/31/19 10:04 PM
I might stop in.
Do you have a preference for tap or spigot water?
Posted By: Silvers Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 06/01/19 01:11 AM
GSPWillie, sorry I don't have # 29080 in my records but I'll let you know if I come across it. Also I checked the "Requests for a Card Check" on the Fox site and that number hasn't been asked for as yet.

Clapper Z, that's bottled spring water, not that trendy mineral enhanced stuff.

The lowest s/n Super-Fox is generally thought to be the Dr. Leibold gun # 27800, shipped on 10/20/22 along with two other Supers with somewhat higher frame numbers. Several Fox nuts have seen and handled # 27800. The records suggest there may be a lower s/n Super-Fox but to my knowledge it hasn't been found as yet.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 06/01/19 02:46 AM
Thanks, Frank.

SRH
Posted By: eightbore Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 06/01/19 10:44 AM
GSPWillie, was 29080 sold at the Chantilly Gun show? I missed buying that underpriced Super. I have the choke measurements written down somewhere.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 06/01/19 11:03 AM
You're buddy George stOle him a nice Fox...

Maybe he'll show us some pictures ?
Posted By: GSPWillie Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 06/01/19 11:36 AM
I found HE #29080 in Albright's gun shop in Easton, Md., shot it for a couple years and sold it to TG at the Chantilly gun show in 1991? for more than double what I had paid for it two years earlier. It had been cut to 29" and had very little choke left Approx. .005 in both tubes, but otherwise was fairly high condition.
Being cut to 29", I figured it never would be real collectible or valuable. What would it be worth today?
I always wondered it it got re-tubed?
Thanks
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 06/01/19 12:08 PM
Thanks for the history on it. Interesting.

As to the value, it's hard to say, but IMO it would be very devalued because of the cut barrels. The barrels are the real heart of the Super Fox, with the special boring and chokes. Take that away and it loses it's charm, for me at least. That said, with some of the prices we have seen non-original SFs bring in the last year or two, who knows?

My 3" chambered HE is one of my favorite shotguns, and my absolute fave for ducks. The barrels and chokes are much of the reason.

SRH
Posted By: GSPWillie Re: Super-Foxes at the Northeast SxS - 06/01/19 12:47 PM
Agreed. I bought because it was not labeled a HE by the shop and was a great deal. If the barrels were the full 32" original length it would be in my gun safe now and for life. The awareness of the HE Super Fox was very low at the time. The breech size and barrel thickness were my first clue, never having actually handled one before. That has changed and prices now are out of my comfort zone.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com