doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger So I bought a MEC 600... - 06/30/19 02:08 PM
I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future, but to get started, is there a good universal powder for hunting loads spanning from 2.5" low pressure loads to 3" waterfowl loads? I'm assuming not, but figured I would ask to be sure. I'll be loading tungsten for waterfowl and lead for the uplands. Also, I'll probably be purchasing from Ballistic Products to try and buy all the consumables in one place.

I appreciate any help or insight...
Posted By: gjw Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 06/30/19 03:36 PM
Hi, your best bet on getting proven loads is to go to the following:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloader

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

And you'll need this manual

https://www.lymanproducts.com/the-lyman-shotshell-reloading-handbook-5th-edition

I would avoid getting any of the Ballistic Products Manuals. Very sketchy and down right wrong info on a lot of their recipes.

Another good source for reloading supplies is Precision Reloading

https://www.precisionreloading.com/

A great source of info is on forum linked below, very good info and excellent advise

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=e9517a8ff3b84f89dcd17ee898f9a58c

Reloading can be a lot of fun, but don't get frustrated if things don't go right the first time. There is a bit of a learning curve, but not that complex.

You got a very good and user friendly press. It will do the trick for you.

Anyway, have fun, you'll enjoy it!

Good Luck!

Greg

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 06/30/19 05:02 PM
Buy a Lyman shotgun loading manual
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 06/30/19 05:23 PM
There is no "universal" powder spanning the wide range of applications you indicate.
Buy the Lyman Shotshell Manual 5th edition as a good introduction.
While I do use some BP products I am also nervous about some of their load data.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 06/30/19 06:10 PM
When you pick only one powder you end up with one which does nothing well but everything kind of decently. Best to pick and choose exactly what you want to load and pick the best powder for each. Local skeet and trap clubs can often be a good source of supplies that shipping is a problem on like shot, primers and even powder. Wads can be bought on line for decent prices and greater selection.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 06/30/19 11:11 PM
Unique is a good all around powder. I find the manuals from Hodgdons and Alliant powder companies to be much more useful. Their phone numbers are on their web sites - just call and ask for their free manuals. Good luck - Paul
Posted By: 2-piper Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/01/19 02:26 AM
To cover the range mentioned I would want at least three powders. As I have always leaned toward the Hercules/Alliant powders my pick here would likely be Red Dot, Unique & Blue Dot.

Unique is an extremely versatile powder but it is not well suited for low-pressure loads of 1oz or less in a 12 nor is it suited for heavy shot charges at enhanced velocities.

Some years back the Rifleman published a 3de-1½ oz load using Unique with both card & plastic wads. It was said to have been pressure & velocity tested by Hercules but to my knowledge never appeared in their loading guides. The pressure was not LOW but was within SAAMI standards.
Posted By: oskar Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/01/19 12:36 PM
I load 700X for my 12ga target loads, 11/16 oz. of 9's and 7/8 oz. of 8's. For my heavier coyote loads 1 1/4 oz. BB's for coyote 800X is my go to powder. Luckily I saw the writing on the wall and stocked up on PB for my 16ga Bismuth/ITX loads but I only load 7/8 or 1 ounce of those for waterfowl.

All my target and waterfowl loads are put up in 2 1/2" hulls.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/01/19 01:39 PM
The 2 1/2" shells can be cut down 2 3/4" shells with either a band saw or a wooden dowel with a single edge razor stuck in it at a 20 degree angle the proper height up. If you're going to fold crimp you'll need a 1/4" spacer to go under the drop tube and crimp stations. You can make one or buy Mecs "short kit." If you're going to roll crimp then that won't be necessary but a tool from Precision Reloading or BPI will be necessary. The PRing one is better. In MHO the roll crimps look cool, but are a PITA for reloading after the first time. The shell stays rolled over a little and has to be straighten. When I roll crimp it's shot and toss.
Posted By: Tamid Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/01/19 02:11 PM
A while ago someone talked about cutting down shells on a table saw. I took a couple of 2x4 tacked them together, cut them back to 2.5" and drilled the appropriate sized hole for a 12 guage shell. With my jig I can cut down 14 shells in one pass. I did a garbage bag full in a couple of hours. With that many you can "When I roll crimp it's shot and toss" as Paul said.

I use single stage MEC set up for black powder. When I get to the crimp stage I take the shells out and use a roll crimp. I like the antique roll crimp tools, especially the French ones, they are a step up from most American made ones.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/02/19 10:21 PM
I appreciate everyone's input. Lots of food for thought.
Posted By: bobski Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/03/19 11:40 AM
start with your assets, if any.
it usually goes like this.......

what hull do I have?
what wad do I want to use?
what powder and shot weight?
what primer?

all of this in numerous combinations is in free manuals offered by manufacturers.
good luck.
Posted By: Mcyclonegt Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/03/19 02:35 PM
What gauge? There are some powders that are not interchangeable between 20 and 12. I just got my tracking number this morning for my MEC 600 in 20 gauge. My research is showing only about half of my 12 gauge powders are usable in 20.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/03/19 03:04 PM
Shotgun powders are usable in any gauge "IF" the load is proportional to the gauge. The reason many powders have data only for 12 ga is they are normally a fast powder suitable for light loads. Many people are loading Down the 12 but not many are doing so with the smaller gauges. Most are Hot-Rodding the 20 &, etc trying to make a 12 out of it.

You can for instance load Red-Dot in a .410 "IF" you put an appropriate amount of it behind about 5/16 oz, It, of course, will not be suitable behind 11/16 or 3/4 oz. Nothing at all magical about any bore size, equivalent loads in any gauge are proportional to the square of the bore's diameter. 20 gauge loads proportional to a 12 are 71% of the 12s, while those of the .410 are .32%
Posted By: Philbert Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/05/19 02:52 PM
Oskar,
What charge weight are using for your 12 ga 700x loads? I’ve been using 15 - 16 grains and find I’m not getting complete burn, especially at cold temps, with 3/4 oz of #8.
Posted By: GLS Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/05/19 07:40 PM
Caleb,
While a press can be set up for various loads, it can be a pia going from one to another of varying column height. It's not economical to reload 12 or 20 ga. field loads as the cost of commercial is hard to beat reloading. Pick out a load you think you'll use more than others, one that would be expensive to buy off the shelf and set it up for it. It is not worth the expensive of buying and swapping out gauges as you can typically find a press in the gauge for less than the dies would cost. Gil
Posted By: Chuck H Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/08/19 03:33 PM
I'd recommend you look at loading a common target load as your first product. The reason is that you'll be able to take it to a local range and use it throughout the year and it can be morphed into use for upland birds from dove/quail to pheasant. It can also be a low pressure load for damascus guns.

I chose a load with 7500 psi, pushing 1 oz of shot at about 1150 fps. It worked for targets, small upland and even roosters if you didn't need to kill one at 60 yards. All I did was change shot size from 7 1/2 to 5.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/08/19 04:24 PM
I’ve settled on these loads, using an MEC 600 and 700X. Works fine for my application.

Winchester AA
Win 209
CB-1100-12 (WAA12SL)
1 oz
13.3 grains of 700X
5780 psi
1080 fps
Bushing #22

Nitro27
Win209
CB-1100-12 (WAA12SL)
1 oz
15.0 grains of 700X
6300 psi
1100 fps
Bushing #25
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/08/19 06:15 PM
I like playing with the old crimpers, but if you're doing a 100 or 150 at a time it's a lot easier on the hand and wrist to use one meant for a drill. For BP I cut a 46 bushing in half for around 85grs or plug the inspection hole in the bar and not use a bushing for around 100grs. I don't remember exact numbers right now, it's been a while for loading smoke.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/08/19 06:16 PM
Phil, try 17 or 17.5 grs.
Posted By: steve white Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/10/19 01:03 AM
Paul--great idea about the band saw! Oskar, could we get a little more than 1 oz in if we could just find wads with a bare minimum cushion section. Most are made for 2 3/4 for sure, instead of 2 1/2. Maybe a multi-metal driver could hold more shot?
Posted By: steve white Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/10/19 01:10 AM
Additional question for short shells--are some powders better because they take up less space?
For all the roll crimpers....you can buy a set of punches dirt cheap which can quickly turn light cardboard junk mail into overshot cards. Just stack the cardboard up on a plank and hammer away with the correct size, at no cost.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/10/19 02:01 AM
At one point I had a chart which gave the bilk densities for the powders then available. Since it was published so many powders have been added that it would be virtually useless today. A close idea can be derived by simply looking at how many grains of powder a given bushing will hold. For instance, the same bushing will hold 20 grains bullseye, 15 grains Red-Dot, 14 grains Green Dot or 19.5 grains Unique.

Obviously, of these four powders, Green-Dot & Red-Dot are the bulkiest & Bullseye & Unique the densest. That same measure will also hold 16 grains 700X or 17.5 grins of PB.

This is an old chart, actually from a Lee powder dipper set, so no load data given, but you get the idea.
Posted By: Philbert Re: So I bought a MEC 600... - 07/20/19 02:22 AM
Thanks, Paul.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com