doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 02:51 PM
I hope all here have a great day today, whatever you choose to do. It's hot and dry here, so my son and I are babysitting irrigation systems on corn, but I'm going over to some good friend's home for a really big BBQ at lunch. It's an ongoing tradition, for probably 20 years, at their home. They have many tables and chairs set up on the lawn, grills and cookers going under the shed, a guy brings a one-cylinder JD powered ice cream churn and makes homemade vanilla, and peach, ice cream. Kids play on a big inflatable waterslide or swim in the pool. There will likely be well over a hundred guests there, who will bring side dishes, with the meats being provided by the host family. Good, clean family affair with no drinking or foul talk. Maybe I can post a few pics later this afternoon.

Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th, and please remember how blessed we are to live in this great bastion, and supporter, of freedom..

Eat well, my friends. grin

SRH
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 02:54 PM
I love peach ice cream- hard to get up here- and the clean non-alcoholic family get-togethers as you describe remind me why "Georgia is Always "On My Mind"-- RWTF
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 03:18 PM
Blessed we are Stan, but I have real fear that we can remain united

John Jay, 1st Chief Justice of the United States, Federalist Paper No. 2, "Concerning Dangers From Foreign Force and Influence"
This country and this people seem to have been made for each other, and it appears as if it was the design of Providence, that an inheritance so proper and convenient for a band of brethren, united to each other by the strongest ties, should never be split into a number of unsocial, jealous, and alien sovereignties.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 03:20 PM
Back at you, Stan. The weather sounds iffy ‘round these parts, so, I’ve planned a pork loin/collard green/black eyed pea evening meal, that can either be grilled or sautéed in a cast iron skillet. Just us for dinner, sadly, the old guard military people who would have been here in years past have moved along to greener pastures.
Have a wonderful celebration, Stan, and thanks to everyone who ever served.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: craigd Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 03:28 PM
Friends, family and a little bit of grilling. Relaxing Fourth Stan and to all.
Posted By: gjw Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 04:17 PM
Happy 4th to all of you and yours!!! This IMO is the most important National Holiday we have. Our form of government has withstood the test of time, thru war and peace. This is the greatest nation this world has ever seen and a pray God it will continue for generations to come.

God Bless the United States of America!

Greg
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 04:35 PM
Happy Fourth to all my American friends. Very happy to have you as neighbours!
Posted By: SamW Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 04:36 PM
Ditto the above...and a beautiful sunny day here. Picked several pounds of apricots to take to the bbg up the valley.

Best to all...

S
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 04:50 PM
Happy Independence Day to all! God bless the USA, whether you love it or not, and Hail to The Chief (hope his parade works out for the best)...Geo
Posted By: nca225 Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 05:41 PM
This is news to me. I don’t know they celebrated the 4th in Russia. I shouldn’t be surpised though, they do have a nack for rewriting history....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russi...E9AH0JK20131118

A happy 4th to the loyal ones, who don’t put their own selfish desires and ideology infront of the good of the country.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 06:23 PM
cool, dry and sunny here in southern nh...

this evening, neighbor provides traditional cold new england poached salmon, with cucumber scales...

other neighbors bring whatever...

i bring beer and wine...

about dusk, we watch fireworks from back porch...provided by neighbor on other side of trees...

life is good...
Posted By: Goillini Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 09:38 PM
Happy Independence Day to all my American friends. We owe a debt to our forefathers that can never be repaid. They pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor to found the greatest country the world has ever known.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 10:19 PM
Pics as promised .......

( If you click on the pic you can view them without the obligatory PB advertisement)

We were greeted by the hosts' granddaughter Emma, "manning" her lemonade stand, and collecting $bills as fast as she could pour 'em up. That is her behind the stand, with her mother, and her 95 yr. young great-grandfather awaiting his cold lemonade.

Three of the cookers used to grill the boston butts, ribs and chicken.

Some of the guests enjoying the lunch ..........

Under this huge live oak that shades a place of at least 120 ft. diameter.

Last stop of the meal ........... the JD powered double ice cream churn.

After lunch we were blessed (the kids who wanted to play on the waterslide and in the pool didn't agree) with a good thundershower which wet the large cotton field beside the yard with a much needed rain. What a great day!

Drew, I share your concerns about the disunity in America, but have some strong feelings that compromise in many areas are not possible, if America is to continue to receive God's blessings. We can talk about that in private, if you'd like.

Best to all, SRH
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 10:30 PM
Stan,
It looks like the perfect celebration of the 4TH. May all of you have a happy and peaceful 4TH, and to remember what got us here.
Karl
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 11:07 PM
Looks like a grand time, Stan.

Dinner ended up in the skillet. Next time I’ll smoke the meat on the grille, but, it went down pretty well tonight, if you held your nose:

Happy 4th, everybody!

Best,
Ted
Posted By: 2-piper Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/04/19 11:49 PM
Stan;
Are those the big 5 gallon White Mountain freezers. They look to be about that size in your picture, not sure if anyone other than White Mountain ever made them. I have eaten ice cream form a couple of setups very similar to this & they also used the JD hit'n'miss for power.

One year back in the early 90s we went to one of the JD two-cylinder expos out in Waterloo Iowa & they had a couple of the 5-gallon freezers making ice cream. They had theirs set up though to run off a PTO & had it hooked up to a 420.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/05/19 12:03 AM
Don't know what brand the churns are, Miller, but judging by the red 5 gal. buckets under them they are at least that big, maybe bigger.

The most technical thing I can answer for certain about them is that one contained vanilla and the other peach, ice cream. He said that, because of the weather today, it took about 1 1/2 hrs. to make it.

Pretty skillet of grub, Ted. I just had leftover mac 'n cheese for supper, and that pic makes me jealous!

SRH
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/05/19 01:35 AM
Looks great- are one of the rafter chords broken off in the span- as per your foto showing inside of the building- or is that just an optical illusion. Love those old putt-putt John Deeres-= nothing else sounds quite like a JD-- Happy 4th- RWTF
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/05/19 03:11 AM
Stan,
Collard greens, black eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, some garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and butter. The pork got pan seared in butter, just like mom would have done.
Quite tasty. Mac and cheese has it’s place.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/05/19 03:36 AM
There's nothing ill smelling about collards, IMO. Love 'em.

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/05/19 10:20 AM
Stan, that churn is quite an operation. Peach ice cream can't be beat this time of the year. Gil
Posted By: L. Brown Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/05/19 10:56 AM
A few of us gathered at the local gun club to celebrate with volleys of shotgun fire. Warm day, but the rain in the forecast held off until we were done.

Special thoughts to all of those who stand on the walls and guard our inalienable rights from any and all who would try to take them from us.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/05/19 12:15 PM
Me too, and I'm a damn Yankee- but as a lad, loved spinach-so maybe that's it- RWTF
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT - Happy Fourth of July! - 07/05/19 12:18 PM
Great pictures Stan, everyone having a great time as is should be.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com