doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JBG Early Winchester 21 - 08/25/19 05:40 PM
I'm curious what you Model 21 guys think of this one that went yesterday in the Amoskeag auction.

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/23/lot/10644?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F23%3Fpage%3D4#
Posted By: skeettx Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/25/19 06:31 PM
Nice gun
Did you win the auction?

Mike
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/25/19 08:12 PM
Steal.
The barrels alone are worth the hammer price..
Posted By: JBG Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/25/19 08:40 PM
Thanks, I did win this one.

I've been on the lookout for a double trigger 12ga model 21 and this one looked decent.

I don't know much about them but I'm going to learn.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/25/19 09:49 PM
Nice buy...Geo
Posted By: Researcher Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/26/19 02:30 AM
That was a good buy. However there is no way I'll believe that receiver, trigger guard, etc. haven't been refinished
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/26/19 10:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
That was a good buy. However there is no way I'll believe that receiver, trigger guard, etc. haven't been refinished

Agree, and add wood to your list. All nicely done. Good buy, nice configuration.
Posted By: AZMike Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/26/19 12:35 PM
I recently bought a Remington Model 32TC on an auction. I shared the listing with my friend Bill who follows double gun values far better than I do.
The gun was nice but not too "cleaned up". The biggie for me was the double triggers, Bill told me that it would be easy for me to buy because of the two triggers--I ended up paying minimum bid as I was the only bidder! I suppose that this reflects how many un-informed are out there just pulling ONE trigger! Go figure!
JBG, what a nice American Classic!
Posted By: dogon Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/26/19 02:08 PM
Looks like a nice buy. I've seen a couple 12ga DT 21's on gun broker for similar money lately. I only wish you could pick-up a 16 or 20 DT 21 for this kind of cash.

I'm in the process of doing a custom upgrade to a Model 21 20ga DT right now. It took me three years of searching to find a DT 20 with wear and good bones that I could justify for a project gun. I finally bit the bullet on one & was happy with the 4k price.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/26/19 07:03 PM
I recently sold a DT Model 21, in not nearly so nice a condition, but with the later version of the butt stock, for about 1/2 again that. It had ejectors.

I had another, also with the later version of the butt, but without ejectors, in similar condition to the one I reference in the preceding paragraph, that I sold more than 10 years ago for only a little bit less than what you paid.

I'd say two things: (1) You did very well; and (2) Model 21 prices make no sense at all.

And like Dogon, I'd love to find a Model 21 with DT in 16 for something near what you paid. My "I'd go to the mat with the wife to spend the money" grail gun was a Model 21, 16 gauge, straight grip, DT, splinter, 28 inch barrels weighing not more than 6.5 pounds. Price was irrelevant. I've never seen one in more than 25 years of searching and in the interim have been seduced by hammer shotguns, so I'll never have to experience the spousal displeasure such a find would cause.

Posted By: KY Jon Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/26/19 07:09 PM
The joke to me is a two triggered model 21 value. If you have one and want to sell it, then a dealer they will try to tell you that two triggers are harder to sell so the want to discount the price 10% or more. Then if they have one for sale they claim it’s a “rare” version and then ask for a 10% or more premium.

I like two triggers and have zero problem going from two to one and back. Some can not use both or struggle for a bit getting used to one after using the other. For that matter I also can pump a pump gun like I was still a kid but the first couple shots with a semi automatic, after shooting a pump gun, can test the fit of the fore end. smile Life is so much fun with a variety.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/27/19 03:36 AM
Regardless of refinish, You stole a beauty.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Early Winchester 21 - 08/27/19 11:12 AM
Sounds like a nice gun.

Maybe bOb will share some of the model 21's he bought and sOld with us.

You remember show n tell don't you bOb ?
Posted By: JBG Re: Early Winchester 21 - 09/11/19 05:00 PM
I just picked up the gun from the lgs.

I’m sure the gun has been refinished but nicely done. The lettering is crisp with the wood slightly proud of the metal.

The gun weighs 7lbs 6 and handles well.

I measure the drop as 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 with the lop at 14”, appears to have no cast.

Overall I’m pleased and looking forward to shooting some doves with it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com