doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AZMike Dove Season! - 08/27/19 12:15 PM
Now for the choice of what to shoot! I will probably shoot my Model 17 Remington. Mostly cause I have been too busy to load 16's for my Remington. Family rule--no 12's for dove! But I could go 10 gauge Remington hammer gun?!
Anyone remember Jack Elam in a movie as a bad man hiding behind some rocks with a pile of guns trying to decide what to shoot!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 01:45 PM
Presently, I'm planning to open the GA season weekend after next with a J. Blanch & Son 12ga hammergun. However I reserve the option to change my mind about that at least once a day...Geo
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 02:04 PM
I could never bring myself to shoot a hammergun in a dove field. Just too many chances of accidentally leaving a hammer cocked in the heat of the battle.
JR
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Presently, I'm planning to open the GA season weekend after next with a J. Blanch & Son 12ga hammergun. However I reserve the option to change my mind about that at least once a day...Geo
HA HA that's funny. At least you have a clue
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 04:13 PM
My grandfather used Super X 12's in his twist barreled hammer shotgun. He passed after a walk up rabbit hunt sitting in a kitchen chair at age 85. Do I think hammers back was good, NO. Do I think he had a good life and had an easy pass out of here, in fact how could it get better?
bill
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 04:14 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
I could never bring myself to shoot a hammergun in a dove field. Just too many chances of accidentally leaving a hammer cocked in the heat of the battle.
JR

That's a good point JR but I shoot them enough to feel comfortable about it. If you don't then you should certainly rely instead upon your safety being in the correct position and in working order..Geo
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 04:49 PM
Winchester Model 42 to start. Second day 20 bore muzzle loader. After that I’ll just line them up 42, 28 ga. 37, .410 Crescent, 20 ga. Toledo pump, 20 ga. Marlin pump, 20 ga. Stevens pump, 16 ga. Model 12 and so on until the birds leave or I run out of shot.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
JR

That's a good point JR but I shoot them enough to feel comfortable about it. If you don't then you should certainly rely instead upon your safety being in the correct position and in working order..Geo

Do you think those two things equate, George?
JR
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 05:41 PM
I think so. I pull the hammers back as I shoulder mine myself
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 06:38 PM
"Do you think those two things equate, George?"

No, I think the hammers are safer...Geo
Posted By: Replacement Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 08:54 PM
I'll probably open with a nice, no-name Spanish SxS 410 that I didn't even realize I had. 28" barrels, PG, splinter, DT, nice wood and bluing. No maker's marks on the outside, but I'll check proof marks. I found it while I was looking for another gun. Don't remember where or when I got it, don't think I have ever shot it. Does this mean I have too many guns? Impossible.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 10:22 PM
I once took a limit of doves at a Summerville, SC shoot with my original Powell 16 ga. percussion m/l. My buddy was using a Pedersoli 12 ga. percussion reproduction. We were the first two shooters off the field with limits, and we were the only two there using muzzleloaders. laugh

Half-cock works pretty good for me when actually hunting.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 10:44 PM
I plan to use my FAIR Iside .410 opening day (which, by the way, is approximately 10 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes and 51 seconds away ........... approximately). This will be it's second season for me. The Dickinson .410 will get it's fair share of usage, too.

SRH
Posted By: Buzz Re: Dove Season! - 08/27/19 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I once took a limit of doves at a Summerville, SC shoot with my original Powell 16 ga. percussion m/l. My buddy was using a Pedersoli 12 ga. percussion reproduction. We were the first two shooters off the field with limits, and we were the only two there using muzzleloaders. laugh

SRH
With only 10 days, 17 hours and a few minutes left, and with all the excitement there Stan, just don’t go off half cocked. grin
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 12:35 AM
Originally Posted By: buzz

SRH
With only 10 days, 17 hours and a few minutes left, and with all the excitement there Stan, just don’t go off half cocked. grin

Good post, buzz!!

I'll try, but I ain't making any promises.

SRH
Posted By: Matt Stolley Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 01:28 AM
In the morning I'll be out with my Husqvarna 103A hammergun.
The afternoon (if needed) will be on a small field located in a stand of timber. This field gives very fast, close shots so the AyA 4/53 with little choke will be the gun of choice.
if the morning shoot goes well, then we'll just have to go to the marsh and try for an evening flight of teal.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 03:01 AM
First dove shoot. What are the recommended chokes for a 20 ga. with #7 steel shot? (all I could get in this now all non tox State)

Thanks
Posted By: Replacement Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 03:08 AM
Quote:
First dove shoot. What are the recommended chokes for a 20 ga. with #7 steel shot? (all I could get in this now all non tox State)

If it's your first time hunting doves, use Skeet or Improved Cylinder with steel. If you have two barrels, go with Skeet and IC, or maybe Light Modified, depending on how long the shots are.
Posted By: LeatherWoodSteel Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 03:20 AM
I’ll be shooting a M21 in 12 ga, M/F chokes. But now that someone mentioned a hammer gun, I may bring along my Belgian 16 ga as well!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 09:03 AM
Originally Posted By: SXS 40

Thanks

Steel shOt has no killing power I'd go up a shot size to #6 shot if legal...better yet find some Bismuth in 7.5.

All California needs to do now is figure out a way to make human feces non toxic.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 10:51 AM
The best advice I could give, to any newbie dove shooter, is to not be tempted to take long shots. Even on opening day you will encounter some older, mature birds, which take a lot more killing than juveniles often seen early season. As Frank said, #7 steel is not great, but might do okay if you limit your range to very close birds. Pretend you're shooting a .410 (as far as range) with 1/2 oz. lead, and you should do alright.

SRH
Posted By: AZMike Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 12:43 PM
I have banana clips for my dubs! My philosophy is make it hard for the little rockets to get through the lead cloud!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 03:16 PM
I used to worry about my shooting percentage. Nowadays my shooting is so bad I just try to make it up on volume. Only way to kill one is to have lead in the air!...Geo
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 03:39 PM
Hardest thing to do is convince shooters to not sky bust. Only way I found to do it was limit the number of shells a shooter was allowed to take out into the field. If they have four boxes they will burn through them and want more. I limit shooters to two boxes. After that they can walk back to their truck and get one more box of shells. We call it the “walk of shame”. But after we did this the number of dove taken per shell went up almost 50%. Not 50% hit rate, but from the low teens, sometimes the very low teens to about 25%. Some did a lot better. Also I have them walk out 25 paces and see what that distance looks like. That’s a decent kill zone for most.

Some shooters will double their number of dead birds if they just let birds come in ten yards closer. Inside 20 yards I’m a 95% shooter. Others might be a 50% shooter. Plus the number of lost dead birds goes down the closer they fall to the shooter. Some shooters don’t shoot enough to hit much more than 20% of what they shoot at any distance. So I tell them if you want a limit you must hit 20% or more. That’s not a high bar on early season Doves.

What I really like to do is sit next to a young shooter. Explain to him what’s too far. Coach him until he starts hitting birds about half the time. Their smile, when they hit one, make it all worthwhile. I think, hooked another hunter.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 05:58 PM
If the lead ain't flyin, the meat ain't dyin

Mike

p.s. My average shot is about 30 yards smile
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Dove Season! - 08/28/19 09:02 PM
It will be a 16 gauge for sure.....maybe
Posted By: bushveld Re: Dove Season! - 08/30/19 03:39 PM
Look like the Georgia pecan crop is in for some serious trouble as well as the doves.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 08/30/19 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: bushveld
Look like the Georgia pecan crop is in for some serious trouble as well as the doves.

The nuts are set on the trees and at their most vulnerable if the hurricane does come this way. Here's hoping it doesn't...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 01:44 AM
Our corn is the most vulnerable thing here to a hurricane. We are combining everyday, but won't be through by the time Dorian arrives ............ if it arrives. The winds will abate after landfall, and maybe they will be low enough, by the time it reaches us, that it won't blow it all down. Flattened corn is a nightmare to try to combine. The longer a hurricane stays over land the weaker it gets.

Our doves won't leave, this time of year, because of a hurricane. They will hunker down, ride it out, and be back feeding as soon as the bad weather passes through.

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 10:12 AM
I woke up this morning and saw where Dorian is predicted to landfall at the coastal Georgia/SC border on Thursday which is where I live. I expect to wake up tomorrow and see different news with the cone of uncertainty centered somewhere else. Coastal residents will wear this cone of uncertainty like a dog wearing a plastic cone of misery after visiting the vet. It's what we go through this time of the year, year after year and more so the last three. As long as Jim Cantore doesn't show up we'll be fine. A couple of years ago a tropical depression mowed down our field before the season opened and the doves never came back. That will be the least of the worries. The local TV stations will gin up the hysteria before long. Gil
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 10:54 AM
I receive information on tropical storms from the Coastal Weather Research Center, at the Univ. of S. Alabama. This service is by subscription and is disseminated twice daily when a major storm threatens the southeast. Last night's info shows the storm predicted to make landfall in S. Florida then track the coastline perfectly, moving northerly. It shows Dorian most likely being where you are, Gil, by Thursday. Winds are predicted to be in the 80-90 mph range at the eye.

It's weird to see a predicted path that traces the east coast so perfectly. "Only the Shadow knows"............

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 10:59 AM
This guy is good, too:
http://www.enkiops.org/blog/
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 11:30 AM
Hoping the best for you, Gil.
Posted By: AZMike Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 11:38 AM
Fuel up the Coleman's and hope for the best!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 12:13 PM
Didn't know that Lamont Cranston was also an amateur weatherman-The good Lord willing- I'll be out Sunday AM early- no dove seasons here in MI- but the early 30 day goose season opens on Sept 1st-- 5 day limit- Some DU pals were 'recruited' to hunt an area 9 hole golf course- rural setting, seems to attract the geese- but I gave up group hunting for waterfowl some years ago. One nice thing about hunting solo- when you miss a "sucker shot" you have no witnesses-- Good luck on the "coo-coo mourners" Stan. Wish I could be in Dixie for doves this Fall- RWTF
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 01:20 PM
If its bad Gil you can come down here. I have a few French guns you can shoot. Bismuth at Geese in the morning and lead at Dove in the evening.
Posted By: Jim Cloninger Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 03:03 PM
Good luck Stan, Gil, Geo, 67 and all you Georgia guys that make this board so interesting.
Jim
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 03:43 PM
Latest NHC info shows it tracking well off shore....curving north before it reaches Fla and perhaps coming ashore near Wilmington. That would put it on top of Vic Ventors - again!!. However, read the discussion on this site:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/145744.shtml?cone#contents
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 09:00 PM
You can't lead doves enough- at least from what I have read about dove shooting from Nash Buckingham's stories- wow--what airborne speedsters they must be--
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 08/31/19 10:48 PM
Francis, there are early season doves, and there are late season doves. Early season it's quite possible to miss by over-leading. Late season ? ........... possible, but not probable. Take a bird that can fly 60 mph (I've clocked them with my truck many times) and give him a 25 mph tailwind, at 35 yards, and yeah, you've got a lot of lead. But, it's not just the lead. A dove can shuck and jive with the best of them. Just when you've committed to the trigger, he cuts a maneuver and screws you into the ground. I've tipped my hat to them many times after such a maneuver, that caused me to miss.

Try as I might, the fun is indescribable. Hope you can someday experience it at it's best.

Best, SRH
Posted By: mel5141 Re: Dove Season! - 09/01/19 02:28 AM
Great Explanation/Description, Stan.......You have to have suffered the humiliation of their acrobatics for a lifetime to really appreciate why we So look forward to the Opener each year......

Here is wishing a GREAT Season Opener to all you "little boys" that can't wait for Tomorrow.......I'll be off before dawn.....
My 62nd Texas Dove opener..... first 2 as a retriever, last 60 as a "Gunner"
The excitement never wains......
I'm going to try 'em in the morning with a New (to me) Between the wars 20 Bore Purdey......
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 09/01/19 11:43 AM
As I read the above post I realize that you are in the field now, and have likely opened your season there, Paul. I'm envious, in that I must wait another 6 days, but happy for you. Please post pics when you can.

SRH
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Dove Season! - 09/01/19 02:36 PM
Thanks, Stan. Went out early to area feed-lot with pond for early Goose season- Drew a blank, but wow- doves and barn pigeons all over the cut hay field near the pond- had about ten goose dekes out, the pigeons were landing in and around them-but Not going to use a steel shot LOAD ON THE POOPSTERS--call me a cheapskate (and you'd be right) but at a buck a pop (steel loads 2&3/4"- the 3" loads even more- I just had to watch them- No geese- too early I guess-but nothing better than watching the sun rise in the eastern sector and Nature awakening.

Maybe sometime we'll visit Fl. in the Fall (and try to stop en route and meet you folks in GA--) This Fall, we are going to Niagara Falls, and then down to Gettysburg before we head back to MI-- Miss a few for me when the season starts in Jawja-- Francis
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Dove Season! - 09/01/19 03:17 PM
Good day to be alive. Safe shooting and hope all enjoy their family and friends. Opening day is here.
Posted By: BCole Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 12:37 AM
Ha Ztan, don't let the hurricane blow all your doves into North Carolina, And stay safe! Opened today in Mississippi. Few birds in our section of the state. 😖😯. Hope Georgia is better.
Posted By: AZMike Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 12:46 AM
Great opening day here in SEAZ, Ghostrider (from this forum) came down for the morning. Some Mourning Dove one White Wing and a BUNCH of Ringed Collared Dove!
Ghostrider is an awesome bird shooter and we had fun shooting his 8 bore Parker on some clays! A fine morning was had by all!
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 02:02 AM
Thank you Mike. I had a wonderful time shooting and talking SXS. Looking forward to getting together again real soon.
Your kindness and hospitality topped of my a wonderful burrito for breakfast made for a great opening of dove season.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 02:39 AM
We had a great opening day near Unionville TN. The birds were steady from 1-3:30 then they started dive bombing around 4:00 feeding time. There were lots of kids and young adults shooting. We started with a good BBQ lunch and ended with good cold beer while cleaning our birds. What a great day to be alive and in Tennessee. Happy Labor Day everyone.
Posted By: Matt Stolley Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 04:23 PM
Opening morning here in eastern Iowa dawned wet and foggy. Light rain ended a couple of hours before sunrise.
The morning started slow but increased substantially about 7:20 am.
I would like to brag about my prowess with a shotgun on opening morning but 1 bird for my first 7 shots kinda sucked.
Once I pulled my head from my back side things got much better. 7 more birds with 18 shots.
When back out this morning and took 5 shots and got 4 doves.
A great couple of days with my son, nephew and 3 friends.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 05:20 PM
Hope you east coasters are faring well.

We spent the Dove opener in Yuma Arizona.
Headed out Sunday morning early to Wellton, about 30 miles east of Yuma

Landscape is lunar looking to the east.

More earth like to the west,
plowed field behind the vehicles was cotton.

Fast moving high fliers and ground huggers made for great shooting.

Morning bag of 13, 45 shells. Good ol' Model 21 20 gauge.

Posted By: 12brd Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 06:39 PM
Here's one from WA state, but a true trophy anywhere.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 06:45 PM
Did that one fall to Bo Whoop II, John?
JR
Posted By: 12brd Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 07:05 PM
No, it's illegitimate brother. 32 in double trigger, splinter RBL.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 07:20 PM
Looks like you dented the band with one of your shot...Geo
Posted By: 12brd Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 07:28 PM
I'll send in the tag info today and post the results. It was in my bag before I saw the band. Told my buddy to check his birds for bands and the first one I pulled out had one. I just about fell over.

Hatched in 2015. Banded in general area where taken.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 07:43 PM
I will appreciate the extra week at the tag end of our dove season in January when the full grown migratory birds make up most of the bag. But I sure do miss the Labor Day three day weekend opening we usually have here in GA.

I did spend the weekend with the usual crew, fishing, eating, drinking, arrowhead hunting (picked up two cargo pockets full), and misspent a saturday afternoon shooting "Annie Oakley" with a ten thrower portable skeet machine. And a bunch of expert shots.

The shooting cost me a little money due to the fact they didn't let on that the shooting was going to be for money, and I brought an old back action English underlever hammer single squirrel gun while they all brought their competition guns. They didn't throw any targets that looked anything like a squirrel to me!...Geo
Posted By: GMCS Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 11:24 PM
Worst Dove opener in My life. Plenty of sunflowers corn and soybeans and not 1 dove flying. around 30 people around 200 acres and not a single bird flying.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 09/02/19 11:47 PM
Those are some great pics, Bob. Glad you had a good opener.

Was that "90", next to the time on your auto dashboard, the temp? Surely not, at 4:29 a.m. !! eek

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 09/03/19 12:05 AM
Dented dove bands are not uncommon. This is mine ...........

SRH
Posted By: eightbore Re: Dove Season! - 09/03/19 12:19 AM
How many states allow shooting early season doves off the roost. I notice that Pennsylvania allows that now. Maryland does not.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 09/03/19 12:58 AM
GA regulations make no mention, that I am aware of, concerning dove roosts. However, the legal shooting hours of 1/2 hour before sunrise, until sunset, effectively precludes shooting a roost. Having shot a dove roost once as a youngster, in the evening, I can testify to the fact that you will get no shooting at a dove roost before sunset. Doves go to roost here much later than that.

SRH
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Dove Season! - 09/03/19 02:05 AM
Those are some great pics, Bob. Glad you had a good opener.

Was that "90", next to the time on your auto dashboard, the temp? Surely not, at 4:29 a.m. !! eek

SRH

The good news Stan is that there was only a 20 degree
differential between the nightly low and the daily high.
It is hot but great birds.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Dove Season! - 09/03/19 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Hope you east coasters are faring well.

We spent the Dove opener in Yuma Arizona.
Headed out Sunday morning early to Wellton, about 30 miles east of Yuma

Landscape is lunar looking to the east.

More earth like to the west,
plowed field behind the vehicles was cotton.

Fast moving high fliers and ground huggers made for great shooting.

Morning bag of 13, 45 shells. Good ol' Model 21 20 gauge.

Glad to see the mOdel 21 20 gauge made it through dove season bOb.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 12:34 AM
Some of you have been kind enough to contact me and express your concern for our safety, and questions about whether or not the doves are leaving. Rest assured, as of now we are fine. We had a breezy afternoon and a beautiful sunset. No rain at all so far. This was from my back porch just awhile ago, looking over the cotton field behind my house.

We're going to be fine, I think. Remember Gil, Mills, and the others who live on the coast in your prayers, as will I.

SRH
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 01:02 AM
I know that place, Stan. Beautiful.
Thumbs up.
JR
Posted By: AZMike Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 01:11 AM
Dove Tacos:
filet breasts, cube meat. Fry onions in garlic salted butter add dove meat till brown (don't OVER COOK). Prepare taco shells, add cooked meat, sour cream and tomatoes enjoy with cold Pacifico Beer
*add cheese or salsa or??
** use quail, elk, swamp rat--its a Taco!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 12:02 PM
67galaxie's new dove dog; I think he's pulling our leg:

...Geo
Posted By: mel5141 Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 12:08 PM
Scratching out limits here in unrelenting heat, 100'sF* continue unabated......Scarcity of Birds across a 3 county area here is the talk of the coffee shop/sporting goods stores.....

I think I have fewer birds than any opening week in over 30 years on this ranch....Had lots of birds in the early summer but nothing concentrated now. Conditions (feed fields) are perfect and abundant on this place but shooting is scarce. Outings have yielded limits every day since Sunday, but I have been fortunate to shoot pretty well on limited opportunities....
Hoping a cooling trend to the North will send needed migrants South....

Good luck to all, and best hopes that you Coastal residents come away from Dorian unscathed.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 12:11 PM
Well, you know, Geo, they wiped out all the quail. Looks like doves are next. wink
Posted By: GLS Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 12:29 PM
Well, we in the Ga. lowcountry dodged a bullet. After a week of watching Dorian dawdle and stalk the Ga. coast with the speed and cunning of a box turtle, we got lucky. Those poor souls in the Bahamas are in quite a bind. It's not as if supply and rescue trucks and personnel can drive 90 miles from Florida to begin the mending process. Here's hoping that Dorian pushes more easterly and avoids SC and NC. One opening weekend hunt has been canceled. The field owner's caterer couldn't get the supplies in because of the evacuation. He goes to great lengths and expense to make this quite an event. We might have something else up our sleeves for the weekend, however....
Posted By: AZMike Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 12:45 PM
Man I hate that, when the caterer can't get the quiche to the fields! Or not even the fried rattler!
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 01:42 PM
My new dog is fast too! As far as a caterer you cant go wrong with a borrowed smoker and some boston butts
Posted By: GLS Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 02:48 PM
Not my show, glad to be asked. Usually has blue crab lump meat crab cakes and beef tenderloin, etc. He has a party after the shoot with non hunters invited. Wait staff in black tie. This is no rough and tumble event on the most beautiful place in the county with field next to the family home. Blocked corn and sunflowers with clean ground. Not my usual haunts
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 03:08 PM
Geo and I are on the way!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 03:12 PM
Glad many have already dodged the hurricane. Hope the rest do as well.

Dove season has been interesting for me. I have three different locations that I manage for dove. Each about 15-20 miles apart. Opening day was spent at the one with the least birds. Maybe 2-300. From the first minute you knew things were going to he difficult. They hated Mojos from the start. Flared at the sight of them. Every bird we saw was a mature bird. All left over from last year it seems. Must have had several failed hatches. Four of us got our limits but they made us earn it. I even enjoyed it.

Second day of as at another location. Typical early season with slow, dumb, easy birds. Ten shooters got almost ten full limits in two hours. The one fellow would need a lot more ammo to limit out but I have a strict limit on shells you get to take and shoot. These fields will hold birds if you don’t burn them out. Corn is a full month away from harvest.

Third day was just a quick scouting for Saturday. I was the only person there and took a limit after letting 90% of the birds feed for the day. Saturday should be great. Got checked by a game warden which is a rarely here. He told me a state managed field about five miles from my first day hunt was a total disaster. Where they normally kill 800-1,000 birds at two locations they killed 143 total birds opening day. So I think my suspicion that we had a local hatch failure might be the most likely cause.
Posted By: Goillini Re: Dove Season! - 09/05/19 05:31 PM
Surprisingly good season in Central IL so far. 3 days hunted, 3 limits on the ground. I did not have high hopes as we had an extremely wet spring, with some farmers not getting their crops in until mid-June. In a normal year corn starts going in the ground about mid-April. Lots of the state managed places did not get their flowers planted at all. Some went with millet due to shorter maturity, some just chopped the native foxtail and other weeds.

High percentage of young birds in the bag. Again surprising due to wet Spring.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 09/06/19 08:38 PM
The opener here tomorrow afternoon is now forecast to be 100 degrees. Now that will encourage good shooting, so you can get off the field and into some shade, if anything will!!!

SRH
Posted By: tunes Re: Dove Season! - 09/06/19 10:07 PM
Have a great time Stan.
Shoot straight, finish early.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 09/06/19 11:20 PM
Sixty dove season openers. Some have been bear caught hot, some wet with a hurricane blowing through nearby, a very few blessed with a freak cold front and comfort. I'll miss it some year, but it won't be this one...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 09/06/19 11:56 PM
A 100 degree afternoon on the dove field is better than none a 'tall. Can't wait.

SRH
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Dove Season! - 09/07/19 12:30 AM
I'll be there if ya need a retriever
Sixty dove season openers. Some have been bear caught hot, some wet with a hurricane blowing through nearby, a very few blessed with a freak cold front and comfort. I'll miss it some year, but it won't be this one...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Dove Season! - 09/07/19 01:38 AM
Tomorrow will be my 60th too, Geo. We're right there together.

My first was with a .410, tomorrow will be too. Full circle?

SRH

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 09/07/19 12:53 PM
["Full circle?"]

Second childhood?...Geo
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Dove Season! - 09/07/19 04:05 PM
It's time
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Dove Season! - 09/07/19 11:10 PM
First shot and first dove of the 2019 season. Gun is a J. Blanch & Son. Recognize that one Bill Graham?..Geo

Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Dove Season! - 09/09/19 09:21 PM
Muy bien para la comida, pero- porque no Modelo cervesa, sr.?? El Zorro
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Dove Season! - 09/09/19 09:23 PM
OK, just how quickly do you want your quiche delivered? By Jimmie Johns??
Posted By: mel5141 Re: Dove Season! - 09/10/19 01:47 PM
The Doves finally arrived in the Good numbers we are accustomed to here at this ranch.....
Little weather front yesterday morning put LOTS of birds in some fields here . I was late returning to the ranch from town but seeing so many, apparently new birds on high wires the last 10 miles or so to home, sent me out scouting .

Found major activity at one of our bigger water holes and took a stand.
25 minutes later I was picking up the 15th bird of a limit.....
Not my favorite dove hunting method, but did provide a good opportunity to shoot the little Purdey 20......
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com